• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 5000 Lineup Revealed

The upcoming Ryzen Threadripper 5000 lineup of processors has been leaked in documents received by Wccftech from the recent Gigabyte data breach. The next generation of Zen 3 based Threadripper processors will include at least 8 SKUs with varying core counts up to 64 cores. The documents also confirm that AMD will launch both Workstation and High-End Desktop models for the WRX80 and TRX40 sockets respectively with the same TDP and core counts as their Zen 2 predecessors. The five PRO (Workstation) chips will be offered in 64, 32, 24, 16, and 12 core models while the three HEDT versions will be offered with 64, 32, and 24 cores. The Workstation processors will offer an 8-channel IMC and 128 PCIe 4.0 lanes compared to 64 on the HEDT chips. AMD is expected to launch these Ryzen Threadripper 5000 processors in November 2021.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Space Lynx

Astronaut
eww. tsmc factory time being used for something other than GPU's = strategic mistake by AMD in the long term. not the short term maybe, but this is really their only chance to finally compete with Nvidia. AMD really needed to gain some gpu market share before it is to late and they are blowing it for short term profits. probably so some other company will buy them out and they can retire on golden parachutes. heh.

Last edited:
Processor 2500K @ 4.4
Motherboard asrock extrteame 3 gen 3
Cooling moded AC Freezer Xtreme.
Memory g.akill ripjaw X 1866 8gb
Video Card(s) 280X
Case CM HAF 922
eww. tsmc factory time being used for something other than GPU's = strategic mistake by AMD in the long term. not the short term maybe, but this is really their only chance to finally compete with Nvidia. AMD really needed to gain some gpu market share before it is to late and they are blowing it for short term profits. probably so some other company will buy them out and they can retire on golden parachutes. heh.

oh well. can't expect to much from capitalism.
Why do you believe GPU'z are more strategically valuable then CPU's, they have the same battle for market share against intel as well. Why would you sacrifice a line up for more profit in the short term with GPU'z, it makes no sense. They are continuing their plans as intended.

Nkd

oh well. can't expect to much from capitalism.

What are you talking about? Do you know how much more profit there is in CPUs? And how easy they are to produce compared to GPUs? Common now!!!

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Why do you believe GPU'z are more strategically valuable then CPU's, they have the same battle for market share against intel as well. Why would you sacrifice a line up for more profit in the short term with GPU'z, it makes no sense. They are continuing their plans as intended.

they already won the battle with the Intel, or at least have enough market share to no longer worry about Intel dominating.

with gpu's - if you don't have enough market share long enough, all game companies will focus on nvidia for optimization, because they are the ones 99% of gamers will have. Nvidia held a 70-80% market share before 6xxx series gpu's launched. AMD gained a few percentage points but due to supply it was halted. if Nvidia ever reach 90-99% range its all over for AMD in gpu sector, no incentive for PC game makers specifically to optimize for AMD gpu's at that point.

What are you talking about? Do you know how much more profit there is in CPUs? And how easy they are to produce compared to GPUs? Common now!!!

in the short term. not the long term.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

Dont feed trolls, they are stupid by choice

GPU has bigger Chip compare to zen chip, amd make more money selling Ryzen than Radeon, Think about it each Ryzen wafer will yield more than Radeon Wafer

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
You guys really think that the high-end server/workstation market is not important to profit margins? Short term GPUs might make cash, but long term you want to gain business / high-end market. See Apple having a very small share of the market while having the great majority of the profits in the smartphone market

Space Lynx

Astronaut
GPU has bigger Chip compare to zen chip, amd make more money selling Ryzen than Radeon, Think about it each Ryzen wafer will yield more than Radeon Wafer

because AMD needs to keep it's PC gpu market share strong while it can, if it wants to keep it's stock strong long term, not just short term.

If Nvidia dominates the market for to long, AMD will only be making CPU's, and that's it. Like I said, if I am a game developer, and I am making a PC only game, why in the world would I spend any time and limited resources/funds implementing AMD gpu specific features like FSR, etc - when 95% of PC gamers have Nvidia gpu's. so when Nvidia dominates and reaches that magic number of market share of GPU's (which they are not far from doing) it will be a snowball effect that will eventually lead to AMD gpu department just collapsing in on itself.

You guys really think that the high-end server/workstation market is not important to profit margins? Short term GPUs might make cash, but long term you want to gain business / high-end market. See Apple having a very small share of the market while having the great majority of the profits in the smartphone market

Threadripper isn't for high end servers, that's EPYC chips you are thinking of.

D

Deleted member 190774

eww. tsmc factory time being used for something other than GPU's = strategic mistake by AMD in the long term. not the short term maybe, but this is really their only chance to finally compete with Nvidia. AMD really needed to gain some gpu market share before it is to late...
Yeah I don't agree.

This GPU generation, AMD has done a lot to catch up with Nvidia - I even bought my first AMD card, a 6900XT and I'm really happy with it. But let's be realistic here, no amount of manufacturing of the 6000 series cards is going to convince the masses to give up better ray-tracing or hardware up-scaling.

Personally, and just going by the rumour-mill, it looks as though AMD will have something much more attractive in RDNA3... I know, wait 'till next gen'...

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Yeah I don't agree.

This GPU generation, AMD has done a lot to catch up with Nvidia - I even bought my first AMD card, a 6900XT and I'm really happy with it. But let's be realistic here, no amount of manufacturing of the 6000 series cards is going to convince the masses to give up better ray-tracing or hardware up-scaling.

Personally, and just going by the rumour-mill, it looks as though AMD will have something much more attractive in RDNA3... I know, wait 'till next gen'...

I understand what you are saying, and I agree with it partially. I would say AMD if they focused more heavily on their limited TSMC factory time with these 6xxx gpu serious would get a little more foothold in the gpu market to keep Nvidia at bay from that dominating number, that is the point I am trying to make. If Nvidia gets to far a lead - there will literally be a snowball effect where no incentive for AMD to make gpu's anymore, cause 95% of games will be heavily coded and optimized for Nvidia.

I understand what you are saying, and I agree with it partially. I would say AMD if they focused more heavily on their limited TSMC factory time with these 6xxx gpu serious would get a little more foothold in the gpu market to keep Nvidia at bay from that dominating number, that is the point I am trying to make. If Nvidia gets to far a lead - there will literally be a snowball effect where no incentive for AMD to make gpu's anymore, cause 95% of games will be heavily coded and optimized for Nvidia.
You ignore the fact that both Playstation and XBOX use gpu chips from AMD. How many games are ported or created for both PC market and console market? Games are heavily coded and optimized for AMD in consoles too so it's not so easy for software companies to ignore AMD unless if Sony and Microsoft go with NVIDIA in the future for their consoles.

System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASRock B550 PG Velocita (UEFI-BIOS P3.40)
Memory 32 GB G.Skill RipJawsV F4-3200C16D-32GVR
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF OLED-ASRock PG27Q15R2A (backup)
Case Corsair 275R
Audio Device(s) Technics SA-EX140 receiver with Polk VT60 speakers
Power Supply eVGA Supernova G3 750W
Mouse Logitech G Pro (Hero)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
If Nvidia gets to far a lead - there will literally be a snowball effect where no incentive for AMD to make gpu's anymore, cause 95% of games will be heavily coded and optimized for Nvidia.
Really? That sounds like a rumor that I heard during the pre-Ryzen era of the previous decade, if not right when Ryzen was coming out, IIRC, because AMD was struggling, but that was with CPUs.

Don't forget the consoles.
AMD can also sell AMD only PCs. So as long as they sell cpu and keep making huge profits, they'll be able to sell gpu.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
I think you put too much emphasis on the market share and winning with Intel. AMD is doing fine and the market share won't change over one night. Intel is not sleeping you know and AMD needs to keep it's pace intact in the CPU market. It is not about losing or winning it is a constant battle and underestimating your opponent is a really rookie mistake. Putting more resources on GPUs to weaken the CPU development would have been a rookie mistake from AMD and thinking that Intel lost already and won't come up with a new better CPUs is foolish in my opinion.
It is very desirable for anyone that AMD is releasing new HEDT and Server CPUs this year. In my opinion it is a very good move. GPUs are still selling and AMD did a good job catching up with NV a little and that was the plan for AMD. I think the next step for GPUs is the new upcoming GPUs to bring more heat and battle to NV no the 6000 series. This GPUs have done their part.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
So you basically want to AMD to think : "Since Intel doesn't have anything that can really compete with TR, we have decided that our customers don't need something faster than last gen. We will only update our CPU line up once Intel release something threatening."

For some reason, that give me déjà vu...

System Name 3950X Workstation
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair VIII Impact
Cooling Cryorig C1 with Noctua NF-A12x15
Memory G.Skill F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 1650 LP OC
Storage 2 x Corsair MP510 1920GB M.2 SSD
Case Realan E-i7
Power Supply G-Unique 400W
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/the-saga-of-the-little-gem-continues.12877/

It's just one guy against the whole world, against all odds and all reason.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
I'm pretty sure Lisa Su is a helluva lot smarter than you in this regard.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I think you put too much emphasis on the market share and winning with Intel. AMD is doing fine and the market share won't change over one night. Intel is not sleeping you know and AMD needs to keep it's pace intact in the CPU market. It is not about losing or winning it is a constant battle and underestimating your opponent is a really rookie mistake. Putting more resources on GPUs to weaken the CPU development would have been a rookie mistake from AMD and thinking that Intel lost already and won't come up with a new better CPUs is foolish in my opinion.
It is very desirable for anyone that AMD is releasing new HEDT and Server CPUs this year. In my opinion it is a very good move. GPUs are still selling and AMD did a good job catching up with NV a little and that was the plan for AMD. I think the next step for GPUs is the new upcoming GPUs to bring more heat and battle to NV no the 6000 series. This GPUs have done their part.

this is true. I just hope Nvidia doesn't dominate, cause if we lose competition in gpu sector its going to suck... lol

I'm pretty sure Lisa Su is a helluva lot smarter than you in this regard.

Actually, there are rumors AMD is positioning itself for max short term profits and intends to sell the company for a golden parachute walk away. I'm not sure how much truth there is to it, but yeah... so in that regard, yes she is smarter than me, because money is everything at the end of the day, but on same hand from a specific gamer perspective, no (again only if true).

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
this is true. I just hope Nvidia doesn't dominate, cause if we lose competition in gpu sector its going to suck... lol
Losing competition would have been a very bad thing but it will not happen over night either. 6000 series GPUs from AMD are very competitive and a good product, although the prices are screwed up. I would not cross AMD off. One step at a time and step with 6000 series has been indeed a good one. Lets wait and see what the strategy AMD will take. Remember, Intel is joining GPU market and that is a very good news. Things can get very interesting next year or even end of this one.

Actually, there are rumors AMD is positioning itself for max short term profits and intends to sell the company for a golden parachute walk away. I'm not sure how much truth there is to it, but yeah... so in that regard, yes she is smarter than me, because money is everything at the end of the day, but on same hand from a specific gamer perspective, no (again only if true).

Oh yes, must be why they bought Xilinx for 40bn... To maximise their liquid capital and return if they sell the business... Cos spending money and making acquisitions makes a company easier to sell.
</s>

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Oh yes, must be why they bought Xilinx for 40bn... To maximise their liquid capital and return if they sell the business... Cos spending money and making acquisitions makes a company easier to sell.
</s>

I was just going based off what I saw on a youtube channel, I have no idea either way personally.