• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GIGABYTE AORUS Gen4 7000s SSD Unlocks PS5 Extensions

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Unless this improves the hashtag # for coin mining, it won't sell. I challenge someone to show me that gaming is the primary reason PS5 consoles are like unicorns, or even rarer grateful, respectful children.

Silicon shortage. No one seriously mines on a console.

System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus PRIME B350M-A
Cooling Wraith Stealth Cooler, 4x140mm Noctua NF-A14 FLX 1200RPM Case Fans
Memory Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CMK16GX4M2A2400C14R DDR4 2400MHz Vengeance LPX DIMM
Video Card(s) GTX 1050 2GB (for now) 3060 12GB on order
Storage Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, Lots of HDD storage
Display(s) 32 inch 4K LG, 55 & 48 inch LG OLED, 40 inch Panasonic LED LCD
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Sound: LG Monitor Built-in speakers (currently), Mike: Marantz MaZ
Power Supply Corsair CS550M 550W ATX Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified, Semi-Modular Design
Mouse Logitech M280
Keyboard Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750R (works best in summer)
VR HMD none
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit OEM, Captur 1 21
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20: 3508 (WIP)
Silicon shortage. No one seriously mines on a console.
This source agrees:

Others (Mythbusters style) rate the idea as plausible.

Deshawn Todd, What the price could be in the future, 6 Aug 2021
Yes, you can mine cryptocurrency with your PlayStation 4 console, a few super powerful processors, and a lot of electricity. Ukrainian authorities revealed the discovery of a huge farm dedicated to cryptocurrency mining
1630384764787.png

However whether the consoles are being used to mine coins or earn game currency that can be sold, the consoles are being misused.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I know for a fact it's possible. I will reiterate though: no one on earth does it seriously. It's not even profitable in most instances. Buying scalper cards would be more practical.

However whether the consoles are being used to mine coins or earn game currency that can be sold, the consoles are being misused.
Yes, but blaming crypto for one oddball FIFA-currency earning scam is like blaming the Sun for burning your hand on the stovetop.

No, they were right to go with an open standard. In the future prices will continuously decrease, with the closed xbox solution you're stuck with what they give you at the price they decide, or get a knockoff which will have the same problems.
console player are average laymen users, they woundt know any any better than a proprietary solution, every major ssd brand have over a dozen models of a PCI ssd, that intimidates average gamer.
They included a performance benchmark to measure reads, which is what will matter most during gameplay. If anything, SSD brands doing component swaps will more easily get caught because the drives will be tested more often.
like i said, every major ssd bran caught swapping componets are are as much as half performance once cach is draned, in a year ssd recomendations might be not true because those ssds might have been swapped, with a proprietary solution, its a guaranteed quality control

console player are average laymen users, they woundt know any any better than a proprietary solution, every major ssd brand have over a dozen models of a PCI ssd, that intimidates average gamer.

like i said, every major ssd bran caught swapping componets are are as much as half performance once cach is draned, in a year ssd recomendations might be not true because those ssds might have been swapped, with a proprietary solution, its a guaranteed quality control

Manufacturers will want to meet ps5 requirements and competition will drive prices down. If console players are more laymen than average gamers there's always an opportunity to learn, it takes like 5 minutes to put a new ssd in - the new ps5 revision even uses some kind of quick release mechanism to facilitate the task.

Let's not excuse or allow for planned market monopolies on the account of user ignorance, they can learn, it they don't there's a number of shops that can profit from the easy job. I guess everyone who's defending the xbox solution will change their tune once the prices of pcie 4.0 SSDs start dropping next year and the seagate proprietary solution still costs more or less the same

Let's not excuse or allow for planned market monopolies on the account of user ignorance,
The very open solution you are defending opens the laymen console gamer to all the monopolies you claim, like i said every major ssd brand caught swapping components for cheaper nand, even if they did their research deciding to buy a good Samsung or WD, then surprised performance is stuttery, latet to be shocked they got scammed with a swapped SSD directly from the manufacturer they trusted, most brand were caught doing it.

With a proprietary solution its guaranteed quality control, a console does no need to be complicated, i respect sony for making it an open solution, but with how wildly different SSD specs are, and even the most respected ones are being swapped without notice that's going to create a lot of back lash

The very open solution you are defending opens the laymen console gamer to all the monopolies you claim, like i said every major ssd brand caught swapping components for cheaper nand, even if they did their research deciding to buy a good Samsung or WD, then surprised performance is stuttery, latet to be shocked they got scammed with a swapped SSD directly from the manufacturer they trusted, most brand were caught doing it.

With a proprietary solution its guaranteed quality control, a console does no need to be complicated, i respect sony for making it an open solution, but with how wildly different SSD specs are, and even the most respected ones are being swapped without notice that's going to create a lot of back lash
Just buy a SSD that has the ps5 logo on it. Return it if it does not work as advertised. Pretty simple.
Also, ”all the monopolies” is not a thing. There either is A monopoly, or no monopoly. See: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly