• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OWC Announces Jellyfish Manager 2.0 Offering New Design, Dashboard, And Cloud Backup Integrations

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
OWC the premier zero-emissions Mac and PC technology company, and a respected provider of Memory, External Drives, SSDs, Mac & PC docking solutions, and performance upgrade kits, announces Jellyfish Manager 2.0. The Jellyfish Manager is the modern, beautiful & intuitive interface between the user and the Jellyfish by OWC. It gives post-production teams the tools they need to be self-reliant and frees up IT teams to stay focused on their day-to-day tasks. With a style that matches the modern-day software tools creatives use daily, Jellyfish Manager is the easiest-to-use tool for server administration ever created.

Jellyfish Manager 2.0 works directly with Jellyfish servers, a specialized shared storage device that allows multiple post-production video editors to work simultaneously with 4K, 6K, and 8K footage. Video teams at some of the largest companies in the world, YouTube creators, post-production houses, and creative agencies love the Jellyfish servers for their ease of use and video workflow support.

Since then, the Jellyfish team at OWC has added a ton of new functionality that called for a new layout focused on organization and a streamlined user interface. The updated design includes easily accessible menus and deep linking throughout the whole application. System alerts are now readily available from all pages in the app also additional tooltips across the board, and intuitive terminology to speed up the learning process.

Embracing the cloud

Jellyfish Manager 2.0 now includes the most requested cloud backup services that allow you to run scheduled backups, and if necessary, recover your data from the cloud. Jellyfish Manager 2.0 also improves integration with Backblaze and included AWS and Wasabi cloud services and will include more in the future.

Enhanced workflow integrations

Frame.io syncing between Jellyfish folders and Frame.io projects are now possible without going through watch folders on your workstation. Combined with the transcoding functionality of Jellyfish Media Engine, this integration helps teams collaborate through Frame.io while storing their original footage on the Jellyfish. If you aren't already familiar, Postlab is a platform that allows teams to collaborate more efficiently in Apple Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere Pro. It is cloud-based, but it can run locally on the Jellyfish itself instead of using the cloud with our new Jellyfish integration. We are proud that the Jellyfish is the only on-prem solution that works with Postlab Local.

"We are all excited about all this new functionality," said Josh Minney, COO, OWC. "We hope you will enjoy the improved experience. There are many improvements in the new Jellyfish Manager 2.0 that users won't notice but will allow us to build more integrations with our software and third-party applications."

Jellyfish Manager 2.0 Highlights:
  • Check your vitals: Check your vitals: Monitor memory, temperature, storage, and CPU usage immediately and quickly see the health of your drives
  • Manage file permissions: Decide who gets access to specific shares and folders with just a few clicks. Easily create and add local users and groups for your team and assign them permissions in less time than it takes to upload a cat video to Youtube
  • Customize network settings: Jellyfish systems come completely preconfigured for 4k+ video and direct connections, but if you'd like to create and modify network settings or bond ports into your switch, we promise you won't have to read a 50-page manual first
  • Enable powerful workflows: like Jellyfish Remote Access, Snapshots, Davinci Resolve Collaborative Database, or iconik Storage Gateways
Pricing & Availability
Jellyfish Manager 2.0 will be available to all new customers and customers who have an active support plan.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus PRIME B350M-A
Cooling Wraith Stealth Cooler, 4x140mm Noctua NF-A14 FLX 1200RPM Case Fans
Memory Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CMK16GX4M2A2400C14R DDR4 2400MHz Vengeance LPX DIMM
Video Card(s) GTX 1050 2GB (for now) 3060 12GB on order
Storage Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, Lots of HDD storage
Display(s) 32 inch 4K LG, 55 & 48 inch LG OLED, 40 inch Panasonic LED LCD
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Sound: LG Monitor Built-in speakers (currently), Mike: Marantz MaZ
Power Supply Corsair CS550M 550W ATX Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified, Semi-Modular Design
Mouse Logitech M280
Keyboard Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750R (works best in summer)
VR HMD none
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit OEM, Captur 1 21
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20: 3508 (WIP)
Jellyfish Manager 2.0 works directly with Jellyfish servers, a specialized shared storage device that allows multiple post-production video editors to work simultaneously with 4K, 6K, and 8K footage.
When you shoot 8K 4:2:2 video it downsamples to 4K 4:4:4 video and assuming 12 to 16-bit rate, it then edits like a dream. The AMD Ryzen 9 5950X CPU and GTX 3090 GPU (and better) technology were developed for a good reason.

"A baby blue jellyfish?"

(If you get that reference without looking it up, you might be old..)

System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus PRIME B350M-A
Cooling Wraith Stealth Cooler, 4x140mm Noctua NF-A14 FLX 1200RPM Case Fans
Memory Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CMK16GX4M2A2400C14R DDR4 2400MHz Vengeance LPX DIMM
Video Card(s) GTX 1050 2GB (for now) 3060 12GB on order
Storage Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, Lots of HDD storage
Display(s) 32 inch 4K LG, 55 & 48 inch LG OLED, 40 inch Panasonic LED LCD
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Sound: LG Monitor Built-in speakers (currently), Mike: Marantz MaZ
Power Supply Corsair CS550M 550W ATX Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified, Semi-Modular Design
Mouse Logitech M280
Keyboard Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750R (works best in summer)
VR HMD none
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit OEM, Captur 1 21
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20: 3508 (WIP)
"A baby blue jellyfish?"
(If you get that reference without looking it up, you might be old..)

I am old, but I only remember:

Bluebottle is a comedy character from The Goon Show, a 1950s British comedy radio show. The character was created and performed by Peter Sellers. Bluebottle is an adenoidal squeaky-voiced Boy Scout from East Finchley (the same neighborhood of London where Peter Sellers grew up).

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
"OWC the premier zero-emissions Mac and PC technology company"

Wait, what?

OWC are claiming zero-emissions for PC technology which is basically responsible for massive environmental damage, precious metal extraction, lakes of toxic sludge that contaminate groundwater for thousands of km across half a dozen country borders? Electronics manufacturing is some of the highest emission and least environmental-friendly activity that humanity has come up with. I'm really not quite sure why they chose to lead with that.

I know OWC for expensive, yet Apple-certified third-party RAM/SSDs. You didn't buy it because it was zero-emissions or good value, you bought it because Apple either charged more, or didn't offer the capacities that OWC could.

OWC are claiming zero-emissions for PC technology which is basically responsible for massive environmental damage, precious metal extraction, lakes of toxic sludge that contaminate groundwater for thousands of km across half a dozen country borders? Electronics manufacturing is some of the highest emission and least environmental-friendly activity that humanity has come up with. I'm really not quite sure why they chose to lead with that.

They are taking the same approach as electric cars and solar panels i.e. ignoring what it takes to make them. From OWC's perspect, if Tesla et al. get to claim to be green, then OWC must be too.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
They are taking the same approach as electric cars and solar panels i.e. ignoring what it takes to make them. From OWC's perspect, if Tesla et al. get to claim to be green, then OWC must be too.
Ah yes. My Etherium mining farm that wastes 3.5KW is dumped into an air-source heat exchanger to save maybe 1KW of heating for the 5 months a year it's cold enough to need heating.

This way I can call my ETH farm "green" even though it's quintupled my household energy consumption ;)

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
A.) Those issues you cited aren't emissions.
B.) They are probably purchasing carbon credits to claim that title. It's legally allowed, and apple people love it.

Ah yes. My Etherium mining farm that wastes 3.5KW is dumped into an air-source heat exchanger to save maybe 1KW of heating for the 5 months a year it's cold enough to need heating.

This way I can call my ETH farm "green" even though it's quintupled my household energy consumption ;)
That's not how it works.... at all.

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
"OWC the premier zero-emissions Mac and PC technology company"

Wait, what?

I know OWC for expensive, yet Apple-certified third-party RAM/SSDs. You didn't buy it because it was zero-emissions or good value, you bought it because Apple either charged more, or didn't offer the capacities that OWC could.
It really sounds like you have this twisted. They aren't claiming that all of the products they are selling are green, just the way they are selling them is green. It's also sad to me that you can't see the good in all of this through your hate. Who are you buying from that's more green?

"OWC said it was the first technology manufacturer/distributor in the U.S. to become totally on-site wind powered"