• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

"Zen 3" Chiplet Uses a Ringbus, AMD May Need to Transition to Mesh for Core-Count Growth

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD's "Zen 3" CCD, or compute complex die, the physical building-block of both its client- and enterprise processors, possibly has a core count limitation owing to the way the various on-die bandwidth-heavy components are interconnected, says an AnandTech report. This cites what is possibly the first insights AMD provided on the CCD's switching fabric, which confirms the presence of a Ring Bus topology. More specifically, the "Zen 3" CCD uses a bi-directional Ring Bus to connect the eight CPU cores with the 32 MB of shared L3 cache, and other key components of the CCD, such as the IFOP interface that lets the CCD talk to the I/O die (IOD).

Imagine a literal bus driving around a city block, picking up and dropping off people between four buildings. The "bus" here resembles a strobe, the buildings resemble components (cores, uncore, etc.,) while the the bus-stops are ring-stops. Each component has its ring-stops. To disable components (eg: in product-stack segmentation), SKU designers simply disable ring-stops, making the component inaccessible. A bi-directional Ring Bus would see two "vehicles" driving in opposite directions around the city block. The Ring Bus topology comes with limitations of scale, mainly resulting from the latency added from too many ring-stops. This is precisely why coaxial ring-topology faded out in networking.

Intel realized in the early 2010s that it could not scale up CPU core counts on its monolithic processor dies beyond a point using Ring Bus, and had to innovate the Mesh Topology. The Mesh is a more advanced ringbus but with additional points of connectivity between components, making halfway between a Ring Bus and full-interconnectivity (in which each component is directly interconnected with the other, an impractical solution at scale). AMD's recipe for extreme core-count processors, such as the 64-core EPYC, is in using 8-core CCDs (each with an internal bi-directional Ring Bus), that are networked at the sIOD.

It's interesting to note here, that AMD didn't always use a Ring Bus on its CCDs. Older "Zen 2" chiplets with 4-core CCX (CPU complex) used full interconnectivity between four components (i.e. four CPU cores and their slices of the shared L3 cache). This was illustrated more looking at the slide, where AMD mentioned "same latency" for a core to access every other L3 slice (which wouldn't quite be possible even with a bi-directional Ring Bus). This begins to explain AMD's rationale behind the 4-core CCX. Eventually the performance benefit of a monolithic 8-core CCX interconnected with a bi-directional Ring Bus won out, so AMD went with this approach for "Zen 3."

For the future, AMD might need to let go of Ring Bus to scale beyond a certain number of CPU cores per CCD, AnandTech postulates. This is for the same reason Intel ditched Ring Bus for high core-count processors—latency. The CCD of the future could be made up of three distinct dies stacked up: the topmost die could be made up of cache, the middle die of the CPU cores, and the bottom die of a Mesh Interconnect. The next logical step would be to scale this interconnect layer into a silicon interposer with several CPU+cache dies stacked on top.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

"Intel realized in the early 2010s that it could not scale up CPU core counts on its monolithic processor dies beyond a point using Ring Bus"

But then they did, anyway.

Yes, ring busses stop scaling very quickly beyond a few cores. Intel's mesh has one ugly side affect, and that is that cores get "stranded" in no mans land much too far away from the memory landings. The mesh has to be insanely fast to compensate, and that means a metric ton of overhead to power, and increased latency. (Look at how Skylake's HCC even with 10 cores disabled overpowers the LCC with only two cores disabled, both running at the same TB3.0 frequencies.)

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
"Intel realized in the early 2010s that it could not scale up CPU core counts on its monolithic processor dies beyond a point using Ring Bus"

But then they did, anyway.

Yes, ring busses stop scaling very quickly beyond a few cores. Intel's mesh has one ugly side affect, and that is that cores get "stranded" in no mans land much too far away from the memory landings. The mesh has to be insanely fast to compensate, and that means a metric ton of overhead to power, and increased latency. (Look at how Skylake's HCC even with 10 cores disabled overpowers the LCC with only two cores disabled, both running at the same TB3.0 frequencies.)
I recall a Radeon gpu using ring bus topology, perhaps they will do a hybrid...

Space Lynx

Astronaut
This is easy to fix. 6 or 12 cores is the only amount games need, it's gpu's that slow us down in games at this point.

so focus on increased clocks for those 6 to 12 cores and stop acting like a ***** about more cores.

System Name HyPerioN
Processor 5900X
Motherboard Asus X570 Strix-F
Cooling Arctic Freezer II 360 Rev 5
Memory 32GB 3000Mhz G.Skill Rijaw V
Video Card(s) GTX 2070
Storage Intel 760p+Samsung 860 EVO+2TB Toshiba 7200rpm HDD+2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) LG UltraGear GL850
Case Asus Tuf G501
Power Supply EVGA 850W G6
Mouse Razer Viper Mini
Keyboard Corsair K70
This is easy to fix. 6 or 12 cores is the only amount games need, it's gpu's that slow us down in games at this point.

so focus on increased clocks for those 6 to 12 cores and stop acting like a ***** about more cores.
Do you really think that AMD will only focus on making gaming centric CPUs?? That's super dumb tbh
Their Epyc/threadripper lineup with be effected if they can't scale up the core count. Which is one of their strong points against Intel....
Watch Dr Ian's video maybe you will get a better idea.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Do you really think that AMD will only focus on making gaming centric CPUs?? That's super dumb tbh
Their Epyc/threadripper lineup with be effected if they can't scale up the core count. Which is one of their strong points against Intel....
Yup bread and butter is in Servers/Workstations.

Space Lynx

Astronaut

these things are separate now. why can't they remain separate? AMD has plenty of money and resources now.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Must be a slow news day for Cutress.

System Name HyPerioN
Processor 5900X
Video Card(s) GTX 2070
Storage Intel 760p+Samsung 860 EVO+2TB Toshiba 7200rpm HDD+2TB Seagate Barracuda
Case Asus Tuf G501
Mouse Razer Viper Mini
Keyboard Corsair K70
these things are separate now. why can't they remain separate? AMD has plenty of money and resources now.
Nope, their entire Zen micro architecture is built around manufacturing efficiency. Their Epyc cores are the same as their desktop ones (to a point) making it easy to scale and develop. Yes their desktop CPUs have a slightly different used cases but they are still counting on the efficiency and core count advantage.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Nope, their entire Zen micro architecture is built around manufacturing efficiency. Their Epyc cores are the same as their desktop ones (to a point) making it easy to scale and develop. Yes their desktop CPUs have a slightly different used cases but they are still counting on the efficiency and core count advantage.

hmm, I guess I don't understand then, all 3 CPU's you just mentioned are still different sockets, so the factories still have to change their process for each one. but you are correct, i think that is just out of my conceptual field of understanding.

meh. its all good. i just hope i get a next gen cpu and gpu Fall of 2022. :D then i am retiring for prob 10 years. maybe more.

System Name HyPerioN
Processor 5900X
Video Card(s) GTX 2070
Case Asus Tuf G501
Mouse Razer Viper Mini
Keyboard Corsair K70
hmm, I guess I don't understand then, all 3 CPU's you just mentioned are still different sockets, so the factories still have to change their process for each one. but you are correct, i think that is just out of my conceptual field of understanding.

meh. its all good. i just hope i get a next gen cpu and gpu Fall of 2022. :D then i am retiring for prob 10 years. maybe more.
Different sockets yes but still the same design and the same foundry. They are all Zen cores. Literally the same from top to bottom. Just different configurations. So trust me core count does matter for AMD. And i am happy with it because I was sick and tired of getting the same quad core from Intel for 7 generations. I also still have my 2600K on my other rig as a reminder of what we have been thru. And how innovation stalled in the lack of competition.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
Separate? The only difference between ryzen and epyc is the i/o die and memory controller, otherwise it's the same core...
Nvidia and Intel are both bigger than AMD by a fair margin, and they both understood that ML, A.I, data center is where you can make bank. AMD ressources needs to be there, the competition is fierce, and their pockets are still smaller than the competition.

Don't forget that we got DLSS because data center technology found it's way in a consumer product. Intel is taking the same approach.

You can compare this to how motor sport technology ends up making better conssumer cars. Gaming doesn't have to exist in a bubble to get better shared development can be good.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
So AMD only needs this 'mesh' (or glue if you ask Intel) for Epyc/Tweedripper to advance, desktops are fine with 16 cores or less.

System Name HyPerioN
Processor 5900X
Video Card(s) GTX 2070
Case Asus Tuf G501
Mouse Razer Viper Mini
Keyboard Corsair K70
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

For gaming all they need is control over what cores to use (the lowest latency ones), and then its down to binning the high frequency chips as overpriced gamur chips.

Its an illusion Intel or AMD will ever design a gaming chip, why would they, CPUs slaughter gaming loads in realtime already. Any half decent midrange CPU saturates any GPU on the market right now. Let alone the fact there is no market even without that fact. CPU is general purpose for MSDT.

Ring bus is pretty common in GPU memory bus design. Most cards have two ring buses running in opposite direction (one read, the other write).

System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
Isn't the Zen4 genoa rumored to pack 50% more cores just by adding 50% more chiplets ?

Unless the software side really demands "More than 8 cores" + "ultra low latency between cores" so desperately, otherwise AMD won't have to redesign >8 cores CCX in the near future....

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Isn't the Zen4 genoa rumored to pack 50% more cores just by adding 50% more chiplets ?

Unless the software side really demands "More than 8 cores" + "ultra low latency between cores" so desperately, otherwise AMD won't have to redesign >8 cores CCX in the near future....
Lower latency matters a lot or not at all, depending on the (server or HPC) application.

Apart from the latency issue, AMD probably has things like 144-core CPU in its plans, which can be achieved with as 18 chiplets x 8 cores, or 12x12, or 9x16. Imagine the monster interconnect, of any topology, on the I/O die, that needs to efficiently connect 18 chiplets to each other, as well as to memory, PCIe and other stuff. In that regard, 12 or 9 certainly is better than 18.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
This article from Ian Cutress is just speculation and conjecture; AMD will do whatever is best for AMD and regardless of the compromises involved we will buy it as long as it's better than Intel's equivalent.

Scaling core connectivity is and always has been a compromise, not sure why Ian Cutress dragged this out today, especially since I had to double take that this was a current article and not one from Zen3's launch last year.

System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus PRIME B350M-A
Cooling Wraith Stealth Cooler, 4x140mm Noctua NF-A14 FLX 1200RPM Case Fans
Memory Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CMK16GX4M2A2400C14R DDR4 2400MHz Vengeance LPX DIMM
Video Card(s) GTX 1050 2GB (for now) 3060 12GB on order
Storage Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, Lots of HDD storage
Display(s) 32 inch 4K LG, 55 & 48 inch LG OLED, 40 inch Panasonic LED LCD
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Sound: LG Monitor Built-in speakers (currently), Mike: Marantz MaZ
Power Supply Corsair CS550M 550W ATX Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified, Semi-Modular Design
Mouse Logitech M280
Keyboard Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750R (works best in summer)
VR HMD none
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit OEM, Captur 1 21
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20: 3508 (WIP)
Must be a slow news day for Cutress.
Oxford, not rogues. AnandTech is the other site where one might find technical information that can usually be relied upon.:cool:

Lower latency matters a lot or not at all, depending on the (server or HPC) application.

Apart from the latency issue, AMD probably has things like 144-core CPU in its plans, which can be achieved with as 18 chiplets x 8 cores, or 12x12, or 9x16. Imagine the monster interconnect, of any topology, on the I/O die, that needs to efficiently connect 18 chiplets to each other, as well as to memory, PCIe and other stuff. In that regard, 12 or 9 certainly is better than 18.
Imagine the defect rate.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I recall a Radeon gpu using ring bus topology, perhaps they will do a hybrid...
Exactly this , it is not a ring, testing proves it, it's already a hybrid ring with rings in ring's, not A Ring so not a ring buss.

System Name The Expanse
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-Pro BIOS 5013 AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.Ca.
Cooling Corsair H150i Pro
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident RGB DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34-1T (B-Die)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB (24.3.1)
Storage WD SN850X 2TB / Corsair MP600 1TB / Samsung 860Evo 1TB x2 Raid 0 / Asus NAS AS1004T V2 14TB
Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B 34 Inch 21: 9 UltraGear Curved QHD (3440 x 1440) 1ms Nano IPS 160Hz
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi + Logitech Z-5500 + HS80 Wireless
Power Supply Corsair AX850 Titanium
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 22H2
Benchmark Scores 3800X https://valid.x86.fr/1zr4a5 5800X https://valid.x86.fr/2dey9c

Some people do more than play games on their PC's. Gaming is but a small part of the industry and the enterprise market is what drives core counts up, and we are basically using the hand me downs and left over parts in the consumer space.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
This article from Ian Cutress is just speculation and conjecture; AMD will do whatever is best for AMD and regardless of the compromises involved we will buy it as long as it's better than Intel's equivalent.

Scaling core connectivity is and always has been a compromise, not sure why Ian Cutress dragged this out today, especially since I had to double take that this was a current article and not one from Zen3's launch last year.
Indeed and Agreed

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
phone call fun GIF by Chiquita