• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Rare Earth Metal Prices Are Skyrocketing, Electronics Prices Expected To Follow

System Name Fujitsu Siemens, HP Workstation
Processor Athlon x2 5000+ 3.1GHz, i5 2400
Motherboard Asus
Memory 4GB Samsung
Video Card(s) rx 460 4gb
Storage 750 Evo 250 +2tb
Display(s) Asus 1680x1050 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) Pioneer
Power Supply 430W
Mouse Acme
Keyboard Trust
Interesting. I wold be glad to get some off this material, for pension.

System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus PRIME B350M-A
Cooling Wraith Stealth Cooler, 4x140mm Noctua NF-A14 FLX 1200RPM Case Fans
Memory Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CMK16GX4M2A2400C14R DDR4 2400MHz Vengeance LPX DIMM
Video Card(s) GTX 1050 2GB (for now) 3060 12GB on order
Storage Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, Lots of HDD storage
Display(s) 32 inch 4K LG, 55 & 48 inch LG OLED, 40 inch Panasonic LED LCD
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Sound: LG Monitor Built-in speakers (currently), Mike: Marantz MaZ
Power Supply Corsair CS550M 550W ATX Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified, Semi-Modular Design
Mouse Logitech M280
Keyboard Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750R (works best in summer)
VR HMD none
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit OEM, Captur 1 21
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20: 3508 (WIP)
More or less 1:1 with common sense. Eh...
Misnomer?

Most people probably don't know about it, but the minerals our electronics use have serious impacts, there's no better example than the conflict mineral Coltan. The demand for Playstation 2's in the west helped spark a war over this mineral in the Congo that helped to devastate the country and its people

Environmental Consequences
In order to mine for coltan, rebels have overrun Congo's national parks, clearing out large chunks of the area's lush forests. In addition, the poverty and starvation caused by the war have driven some miners and rebels to hunt the parks' endangered elephants and gorillas for food. In Kahuzi Biega National Park, for example, the gorilla population has been cut nearly in half, from 258 to 130.
Tracing the Source
The path that coltan takes to get from Central Africa to the world market is a highly convoluted one, with legitimate mining operations often being confused with illegal rebel operations, and vice versa, making it difficult to trace the origin. To be safe, in recent months many electronics companies have publicly rejected the use of coltan from anywhere in Central Africa, instead relying on their main suppliers in Australia. American-based Kemet, the world's largest maker of tantalum capacitors, has asked its suppliers to certify that their coltan ore does not come from Congo or bordering countries. But it may be a case of too little, too late. Much of the coltan illegally stolen from Congo is already in laptops, cell phones and electronics all over the world.

Minerals might be rare, except in Australia

System Name Budget AMD System
Processor Threadripper 1900X @ 4.1Ghz (100x41 @ 1.3250V)
Motherboard Gigabyte X399 Aorus Gaming 7
Cooling EKWB X399 Monoblock
Memory 4x8GB GSkill TridentZ RGB 14-14-14-32 CR1 @ 3266
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX Vega₆⁴ Liquid @ 1,800Mhz Core, 1025Mhz HBM2
Storage 1x ADATA SX8200 NVMe, 1x Segate 2.5" FireCuda 2TB SATA, 1x 500GB HGST SATA
Display(s) Vizio 22" 1080p 60hz TV (Samsung Panel)
Case Corsair 570X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X Series 850W KM3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Early retirement, here I come.
Thank you consumers for being greedy and brainwashed by marketing. Because you "need" all the shiny toys even during a pandemic and price increases, I can retire years ahead of the plan.
Not all of us. ;-)

In my lifetime, I've only ever had 4 cell phones. I ran my Note 5 for 4 years. Plan on running my Note 10+ for another 2-3 years+. My carrier is trying to get my dad to upgrade his phone to a 5G phone but.. we don't need a 5G phone. 5G will never be deployed in my area so its not something we want. We are still on 2G and 3G its that bad here. lol. (but hey, as long as the carrier says.. "we have 4G deployed there, the FCC will have to believe us.. even when customers complain.")

Corporate America is a cesspool of garbage. It just sucks because the ones lower on the totem pole take the brunt of the attacks and have no recourse.

Low quality post by Space Lynx

Space Lynx

Astronaut
The chinese are behind it, made all countries stop working with the virus then the chinese are using their reserves which bought very cheap from those countries before the virus then will sell 10 to 20x more expensive then they will crash the rare metal market then will buy those metal very cheap again, business 101.

Know how you can stop the bs? just don't buy overpriced products.

Where I live I can buy it for 750 usd and still having doubts because i have a 28 4k monitor 60hz working without any problem and seems all right, an oled 48 inch 120hz would be awesome.

you can get LG 48" OLED for 750 USD??? WTF ARE YOU WAITING FOR.... they would be sold out instantly here if they were that price...

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Early retirement, here I come.
Thank you consumers for being greedy and brainwashed by marketing. Because you "need" all the shiny toys even during a pandemic and price increases, I can retire years ahead of the plan.

So where are you sourcing your unobtanium? Kinda hard to make a profit if it's already expensive to make, yeah?

Also acting surprised people like electronic toys on a tech forum is a little ironic.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
Not all of us. ;-)

In my lifetime, I've only ever had 4 cell phones. I ran my Note 5 for 4 years. Plan on running my Note 10+ for another 2-3 years+. My carrier is trying to get my dad to upgrade his phone to a 5G phone but.. we don't need a 5G phone. 5G will never be deployed in my area so its not something we want. We are still on 2G and 3G its that bad here. lol. (but hey, as long as the carrier says.. "we have 4G deployed there, the FCC will have to believe us.. even when customers complain.")

Corporate America is a cesspool of garbage. It just sucks because the ones lower on the totem pole take the brunt of the attacks and have no recourse.
I had some Samsung? type cell that was "semi smart" 9+ years ago. It had a touch screen, full keyboard on the touch screen and so on, but it wasn't able to display internet pages like a smart phone. I had it for 3 or so years, but the touch screen kept having so many issues and recalibrating only sometimes fixed it, I had ti move away fron it and got a new phone. I got the HTC DNA. I used it for 4+ years until the internal speaker failed and now I'm still using my Samsung S8.

In that same amount of time, almost everyone I know had been through 2-3x as many cell phones as I have. I knew someone that upgraded his phone about every 8-10 months, once something newer came along. The rate most people go through cell phones is mind boggling. I wonder how much better off things would be if folks could limit themselves instead of gorging themselves on every little new phone iteration that came along.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
Nice; price hikes in the middle of the scalper apocalypse.

This news is sure to cheer everyone up....
Ya I was working in metals in 2005-2008 it was great, prices were at record highs, then they weren’t and the economy collapsed and then it wasn’t great and was unemployed. I sure hope history does not repeat itself so quickly…….

Last edited:
I don't know whether to be disappointed about cost or be depressed about how the world works. The questions and thoughts run too deep for such a simple man. Things would be a lot easier if they taught us kids to only tolerate each other, not love, and to take advantage of our fortunes.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Ya I was working in metals in 2005-2008 it was great prices were at record highs, then they weren’t and the economy collapsed and then it wasn’t great and was unemployed. I sure hope history does not repeat itself so quickly…….
Sadly history repeats itself because the people in charge with all the money and decision-making are always focused on short term personal gains and not the bigger picture :\

Low quality post by yotano211
System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
Ya I was working in metals in 2005-2008 it was great prices were at record highs, then they weren’t and the economy collapsed and then it wasn’t great and was unemployed. I sure hope history does not repeat itself so quickly…….

I worked at a company that supplied floorcovering installing products at that time. I remember when things were just booming! We couldn't keep stock in one major product - tack strip - in the last stretch of the housing boom because of a couple of things:
One of the major distributors was working on moving to a larger production facility, so their output was cut sharply as they made their transition so inventory through them was a trickle.
A second major distributor we got it from was initiating a massive price hike and was allowing any orders up to X date to get in before the price jump....well, companies (like the one I worked at) purchased trucks loads worth so we could buy lower and keep lower prices and then slowly transition higher pricing as we started to bring in higher priced material. Well, that didn't work well because so many companies put in so many orders they couldn't fill them at the promised cost and the distributor ran itself too low on inventory too fast and had troubles catching back up....
Then the housing crash hit, we didn't really feel the ripples of it until around the summer of 2006. By winter half a dozen folks were let go and it continued to be a growing trend until winter of 2009 when a dozen folks that January were let go and I was one of them.

Hopefully something similar doesn't happen this time around. Right now from what I can see a lot of places were shut down or running limited production/skeleton crews that they got so far behind on orders they're all still playing catch up and also trying to accommodate new orders as they come through. It seems to be a world wide issue and will probably continue to be one for a while. Something will break in this system eventually, as it did with the housing bubble that popped, but I guess we just have to wait and see.

Low quality post by sylva1
Low quality post by Sisyphus
Hey Sisyphus, you used this magic term. No one caught on to it. In the old country, the communist gov tried to inoculate it into us as the definition of the last stage of capitalism. Did you read some Marxism, ha, ha?
Everyone should read some Marxism to understand its impact on freedom. China did not want to follow the USSR into the fall, so they abandoned the planned economy and replaced it with state capitalism. Chinese dissidents always says: The Chinese communists have paired the worst of communism (cadre party, one-party dictatorship) with the worst of capitalism (monopoly economy, workers without rights).

Didn't Xi announce support to rebuild Afghanistan recently? Same Afghanistan where suddenly tons or rare elements were discovered?
Once Australia was the biggest Rare Earth exporter, until China destroyed his Rare Earth mining industry by price dumping. There are many mines, ready to open. But nobody invests. High Risk China will repeat its play, from cashing in to price dumping. As a single company you cannot stand against China.
Afghanistan isnt able to produce anything, no qualified workers, no infrastructure, civil war. China is taking over the firmer US ally Pakistan and Afghanistan to threaten India. The fact that you can also outclass the USA is a pleasant additional benefit. In middle term India is Chinas closest and biggest economical rival.

Low quality post by claes
System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
Hey Sisyphus, you used this magic term. No one caught on to it. In the old country, the communist gov tried to inoculate it into us as the definition of the last stage of capitalism. Did you read some Marxism, ha, ha?
This is so curious to me! What old country? I’m not familiar with any currents that are that stagist, but I don’t know much about Maoism or Stalinism.
Everyone should read some Marxism to understand its impact on freedom. China did not want to follow the USSR into the fall, so they abandoned the planned economy and replaced it with state capitalism. Chinese dissidents always says: The Chinese communists have paired the worst of communism (cadre party, one-party dictatorship) with the worst of capitalism (monopoly economy, workers without rights).
More interesting history! Were the dissidents Trotskyists or is this another strain of Maoism from before the Sino-Soviet split?

Once Australia was the biggest Rare Earth exporter, until China destroyed his Rare Earth mining industry by price dumping. There are many mines, ready to open. But nobody invests. High Risk China will repeat its play, from cashing in to price dumping. As a single company you cannot stand against China.
Afghanistan isnt able to produce anything, no qualified workers, no infrastructure, civil war. China is taking over the firmer US ally Pakistan and Afghanistan to threaten India. The fact that you can also outclass the USA is a pleasant additional benefit. In middle term India is Chinas closest and biggest economical rival.
I was thinking more in the line that China will have a cheap surplus of rare elements. Rest is just a bonus. It's always better to exhaust everyone else's resources before your own (USA+oil comes to mind).

Low quality post by hat

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Remember when economy experts warned governments that all those lock downs will have a huge impact on economy but the media "experts" blamed them for spreading conspiracy theories? Pepperidge Farm Remembers
I think a lot of it is sheer laziness. At least here in the states, there's more people than ever who would rather sit around and collect free money, and also not pay their rent, then going to work. Guess what happens when nobody goes to work?

Processor 9600k
Motherboard MSI Z390I Gaming EDGE AC
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Memory 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus OC
Storage 2x Intel 660p 1TB
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Audio Device(s) Topping MX3
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
Keyboard HAVIT KB487L / AKKO 3098 / Logitech G19
VR HMD HTC Vive
Benchmark Scores What's a "benchmark"?
So where are you sourcing your unobtanium? Kinda hard to make a profit if it's already expensive to make, yeah?

Also acting surprised people like electronic toys on a tech forum is a little ironic.
The simple answer is that I don't. Hardware-wise I can live with what I have for a year or two more, and I got some Al, copper and more extravagant things years ago, it's always good to have some metals other than Bloodbath albums :cool:. I expected prices to reach current levels in a few more years, but here we are. I'm not surprised, I'm happy with people driving prices even higher.