• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel To Acquire Havok

SpoonMuffin

Processor x2 4000+@2.96gz, thermalright ultra90 with 90mm panaflow ultra speed
Motherboard biostar tforce 550
Cooling Thermalright ultra90,90mm panaflow ultra speed fan
Memory Transend AxeRam ddr2 800@986mhz 5-5-5-15 2t TrFc 75ns
Video Card(s) x1900xtx+zalman vf900cu cooler
Storage 80+160+200+250gb
Display(s) 20.1in gaming lcd 1600x1200@120hz(dvi-d)
Case cg-briza (thx again to ashen)
Audio Device(s) realtek 8ch hd audio latist drivers
Power Supply 400watt fsp 12cm fan psu
Software windows 2003 sp2(custom build),nod32,opera9,tcmp,vlc,udrfrag,perfect disk,utorrent
Dans right guys, game developers actually dont have the time to be immature and side with a company. Its pretty pessimistic and immature thinking that intel will try to run a monopoly, they just want to maximize their profits, and guys if you bitch about this...think about it, is there any point of bitching that intel gained more market share?

Moreover think about it, if they optimized the game to run faster on a specific platform, wouldn't the game developers have a smaller income? Think about that as well.

acctualy intel would do exectly what has been implyed, they would happly make it so that the phsics engine works better on intel hardware then anybody elses, and game developers acctualy do favor intel already, sse1-2-3 support is COMMON now and has been for years, but many games dont support 3dnow/3dnow+/3dnow pro, dispite the fact that using them can have a very postitive impact on game performance, for an example run riddick EFBB using the 3 diffrent paths on an amd system(3 diffrent exe sets avalable in the games folder)

and game devs for many years have favored Nvidia or ATI, or back in the day 3dfx, this again isnt uncommon, and can cause problems, for example some games that nvidia pays to get made "the way its ment to be played" dont run properly or as well on non-nvidia hardware, in some cases it just takes a little trickery to get them to work properly, example , that old tigerwoods golf game that ran in 3d accelerated mode at high res if u had an nvidia card, but if you had ANY other card it wouldnt run in anything but software mode at low res, but if you used an app to change the ID the game saw for your card to any nvidia card the game would run the same on ati cards and the like as it did on nvidia cards.

or gothic3, the games STUNNING if you play it in a ways, but its got querks in the gfx if your on ati gfx, ones u dont have to deal with if your on nvidia, BUT you can edit the config files manualy and fix them all pretty easly(as well as enabling multi cpu support!!!!!)

this stuff is VERY common, and i can see intel eventuly bullying game companys who want to use havoc or who want to upgrade/update the havoc they already are using into supporting intel platforms better then amd/ati/nvidia offerings, but then it will just come down to the game devs/companys saying "fuck it" and using another engine OR making their own.

but i see this ending up like alot of other intel aquisitions have in the past, it will last a few years then intel will eather sell it off or kill it, or kill off the market use of it then sell it off(they did this with chips and tech gfx chips for example, chips alot of companys used for onboard gfx back in the day specly for laptops)

and to those of you who want to see amd fail and are just sure they are going to tank, you need to look at the past and also take some economics and buisness corses, amd is hurting at the moment due to debt from buying ATI, but that was EXPECTED and they KNEW WHAT THEY WHERE GETTING INTO, they took a short term hit to give themselves a long term benifit.

the problem is that many/most of you have VERY western/american thinking, its all about the here and now, when if you saw it from say the japanese point of view you wouldnt be worried about today as much as years from now, the japanese have OWNED us for that reasion more then any other, they will take a loss now to gain market share and drive the compotition out of buisness then they will sit back and make up the losses once they get production costs down.

example look at the TV(television) it was an american invention, then the japanese started making black and white sets and selling them below cost in the US, as time went on they bought us tv makers that where failing, and by the time they effectivly owned the market they had gotten cost down so that they where making back all the $ they had lost by selling the early models blow cost, its all about how you look at things and how you plan ahead, intel was VERY shortsighted with the p4, they wanted to get as much out of a bad design as they could as quickly as possable, on the otherhand the athlon(all version from classic to k8) was a VERY forword looking design, really if you look at the k8 of today its not all that diffrent from the first athlons that hit the market, amd just refined it and added fetures, and yet many years later intels dumped the crappy poorly conceved p4 nutburst core for one that was around when athlon first came out(p6 core, used in the p3,p-m and now core2 chips), and now amd is bringing out a redesigned chip they dubed the k10, nobody heres seen one yet, and no benches have been posted, but again, this is a very eastern way of dealing with things( i know amd isnt japnese but their buisness model seems to be ) keep things close to the hip till your ready to start selling them.

amd never has put out benches b4 a chip was ready for market/sale, intel has for years put out info months before things where avalable, remmber the early p4ee chips, the ones that they ended up having to microcode fix because they had errors(because they where based on the xeon cores that had the same issues) but they put out benches b4 the microcode changes, and for good reasion, because once patched the chips lost a good bit of performance, quite frustrating for ppl who preordered them!!!!!

blah, as i said b4 we are not likely to see any real changes in the short term, but in the next few years i can see there being some dark changes in havoc.

oh and from what i been hearing the intel cards may not be for desktop use, they may be prof gfx cards like the stuff 3dlabs made b4 creative killed them(dumbasses should have had 3dlabs make desktop and gaming cards......stupid creative!!!)

kwchang007

Processor C2D T7200@2 ghz vcore: .9875
Motherboard generic laptop board
Cooling fan control and antec notebook cooler
Memory 2 GBs@ 533 mhz ddr2
Video Card(s) x1400 mobile, overclocked: 526mhz core/ 882mhz ddr
Storage 120 GB@ 5400 rpm fujitsu
Display(s) 15.4" 1440x900
Audio Device(s) integrated
Software vista 32 bit home premium
This is all about physics acceleration in Intel Octal-core CPUs designed to compete with AMD Fusion project.

Actually that would be a smart move. Build a cpu that can run physics calculations better than a cpu right now? Why not...it's probably and area cpus could use some improvement in.

effmaster

Processor Core Duo T2250 1.73 GHZ
Memory 2 GB DDR2
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GEForce Go 7600 256 MB
Storage 120 GB
Display(s) 17 inch notebook
Case metallic grey
Audio Device(s) Creative xmod (though that doesnt really count as a sound card lol)
Power Supply power plug and battery
Software Lots of it
Actually that would be a smart move. Build a cpu that can run physics calculations better than a cpu right now? Why not...it's probably and area cpus could use some improvement in.

And with this technology imposed people wouldn't need to have an as much intensive and expensive graphics card to run a game they will already have a processor that runs physics better:laugh::laugh::laugh:

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
"the japanese have OWNED us for that reasion more then any other, they will take a loss now to gain market share and drive the compotition out of buisness then they will sit back and make up the losses once they get production costs down."

...too bad that 'tactic' didn't pan out so well in any of their wars vs. the west :)

I would rather see Sun buy out AMD, dragging ATI with it, and help put Linux and similar open source engines into real competition with Intel.

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
Hmm its either a "phase out " or a Going to "focus on and Optimize toward CPU" type of thing I would think:confused:I am thinking the latter of the two.

Helvetica

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz
Motherboard ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP
Memory 2GB DDR2 800mhz
Video Card(s) HD2900XT
Storage WD 10,000RPM
Display(s) 1920x1200
Audio Device(s) Creative
Power Supply 700w
NVidia should just start making GP-CPUs.

kwchang007

Processor C2D T7200@2 ghz vcore: .9875
Motherboard generic laptop board
Cooling fan control and antec notebook cooler
Memory 2 GBs@ 533 mhz ddr2
Video Card(s) x1400 mobile, overclocked: 526mhz core/ 882mhz ddr
Storage 120 GB@ 5400 rpm fujitsu
Display(s) 15.4" 1440x900
Audio Device(s) integrated
Software vista 32 bit home premium
NVidia should just start making GP-CPUs.

Uhh that's hard. One) GFX cards have different instruction sets than cpus. Two) graphics cards have lots of "cores" and programs are just starting to move towards use of multi cores. Three) I believe GPU's lack a branch predictor because everything they have to do is pretty real time. And that's all I could think of for now.

effmaster

Processor Core Duo T2250 1.73 GHZ
Memory 2 GB DDR2
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GEForce Go 7600 256 MB
Storage 120 GB
Display(s) 17 inch notebook
Case metallic grey
Audio Device(s) Creative xmod (though that doesnt really count as a sound card lol)
Power Supply power plug and battery
Software Lots of it
Uhh that's hard. One) GFX cards have different instruction sets than cpus. Two) graphics cards have lots of "cores" and programs are just starting to move towards use of multi cores. Three) I believe GPU's lack a branch predictor because everything they have to do is pretty real time. And that's all I could think of for now.

What thats it lol Intel can overcome this in no time what with all the money their making and such it wonuldn't be a bad investment in R&D at all lol:laugh::laugh:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Lol....AMD won't got out of buisness. AMD could easily aquire ageia physx and do the same thing. This will barely effect the market.

i was about to say that due to a post above "what is amd gonna do"

Solaris17-.....buy ageia?