• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EU Commission Pushing Forward with Unified Electronics Charger Standard and Unbundling of Chargers

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
May we'll see these companies drop their proprietary charging standards in favour of PD, but it's unlikely, especially when we're now seeing phones that charge at 100W+ using crazy high Voltages but low current.
and after that, phone chargers big enough to replace pc PSU's !!! :laugh::roll::laugh: :)kookoo:)

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
and after that, phone chargers big enough to replace pc PSU's !!! :laugh::roll::laugh: :)kookoo:)

With the ATX12VO it is totally possible even today... what's different with some 350W+ alienware laptops powered from a brick in the past... not even mentioning the hybrid sager/eurocom mobile workstations

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
don't understand what is the problem; my phone has usb c charger with 5A output and the original cable is handling the power without issues

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Sadly it seems like a lot of people don't understand that the physical size of a charger correlates to how much power you can get out of it and this is why so many things come with anemic charger or power adapters, as people don't like seeing the big bulky ones, or maybe it is that they don't like tripping over them? GaN based technology is helping with that to some degree at least.
That's true, but ... no standard (or lack thereof) will ever change that. It's also something that even a day 1 employee at any store ought to be able to explain in a single sentence. "This one is nice and small, but a bit slow, while this bigger one has more oomph and charges faster - that's how it works." GaN does mess with that somewhat, but ... meh. Laptops have been charging through USB-C for years, and I still haven't heard of an epidemic of people trying to ditch their bundled charger for one of those tiny Anker 18W ones "because of convenience".
I don't think I said the PD 3.1 standard was a problem, my issue was that we're not sure which spec the EU will settle on and ideally it should be PD 3.1, rather than PD 3.0.
I didn't mean to imply that you did, but is there any meaningful change to the 3.1 standard that matters to non-3.1 devices? And, given that PD standards development seems to be focused on maintaining compatibility, is there any real hindrance or disincentive towards devices and chargers adopting later standard than 3.0?
The fact that your chargers do that, doesn't mean all chargers do that, since some of the proprietary specs were never very widely adopted, mostly thinking MTK here with their charge pump.
That's true - but doesn't mandating PD as a standard make this more likely to happen, through disincentivizing proprietary power delivery modes? At the very least this does require PD 3.0v1.2 as a fall-back mode, after all, which is far better than current proprietary fast charging systems that often fall back to 5V1A or similar.
Also, not all devices tell you that the charger is too anemic, yes it seems most laptops do that, but as I mentioned in a comment here, my phone still says it's charging when plugged in to a 5V/500mA USB port, except in reality, it's not. This is something the device makers need to improve upon, as it's one of those things that a lot of people aren't going to pay attention to.
That's true - this ought to be universal. But it's entirely unrelated to USB-C - the same would be true if the device was using micro-B, after all.
Admittedly there shouldn't be any USB-C with that low power output, but 900mA is still within spec, even though it's not part of the USB PD spec. No need to go as extreme as laptops for this to be confusing for people.
Sure, but doesn't standardizing PD 3.0v1.2 effectively prohibit the sale of chargers delivering less than ... 1A? 1.5A? Something like that?
I really do hope things will get better, but considering how little the average consumer cares about the finer details of these tech "issues" is telling me that we're still going to have people complaining that their chargers don't work properly once USB-C has replaced all the other connectors.
Of course we will. But this is more likely to lead to fewer complaints rather than more. The main difference might be that there are fewer types of complaints - i.e. no more "I can't find a charger that fits my [thing]" or "this has the same plug but I tried it and now my [thing] doesn't work", with all complaints being concentrated into the category of "this charger/cable charges my [thing] slower than expected". This would be a major win IMO.
May we'll see these companies drop their proprietary charging standards in favour of PD, but it's unlikely, especially when we're now seeing phones that charge at 100W+ using crazy high Voltages but low current.
That would be fantastic, but as you say, it's unlikely. But at the very least, this now mandates that those proprietary chargers and devices also support PD 3.0. Which would be fantastic - I'm still pissed that my old Oneplus charger had this weird quasi-proprietary USB-A plug that meant only their cables worked, and only went above 1A with their phones. And I'm equally annoyed that my partner's Mate 10 Pro doesn't fast charge over anything other than Huawei's chargers. At least this means those situations will go away.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
That's true, but ... no standard (or lack thereof) will ever change that. It's also something that even a day 1 employee at any store ought to be able to explain in a single sentence. "This one is nice and small, but a bit slow, while this bigger one has more oomph and charges faster - that's how it works." GaN does mess with that somewhat, but ... meh. Laptops have been charging through USB-C for years, and I still haven't heard of an epidemic of people trying to ditch their bundled charger for one of those tiny Anker 18W ones "because of convenience".
Maybe not 18W, but apparently a lot of Apple customers have had issues, since Apple offered a range of power adapters and people bought the smaller 60-65W ones, even though their high-end notebooks required a 96W one. People don't like lugging around big power adapters...
I didn't mean to imply that you did, but is there any meaningful change to the 3.1 standard that matters to non-3.1 devices? And, given that PD standards development seems to be focused on maintaining compatibility, is there any real hindrance or disincentive towards devices and chargers adopting later standard than 3.0?
The incentive would be that 3.1 would have a longer overall lifespan than 3.0, since we are what, 2-3 years away from this being a fixed requirement due to the two year grace period. So why start with an older standard when there's already an improved standard out there.
That's true - but doesn't mandating PD as a standard make this more likely to happen, through disincentivizing proprietary power delivery modes? At the very least this does require PD 3.0v1.2 as a fall-back mode, after all, which is far better than current proprietary fast charging systems that often fall back to 5V1A or similar.
Mandating PD technically doesn't mean that companies can't continue making their own weird standards, as long as PD also works. But at least trickle charging might be going away, since no-one likes to plug in their phone to find that it only charged 3% and hour later.
That's true - this ought to be universal. But it's entirely unrelated to USB-C - the same would be true if the device was using micro-B, after all.
It just tells us that a lot of companies are lazy when it comes to implementing sensible software features.
Sure, but doesn't standardizing PD 3.0v1.2 effectively prohibit the sale of chargers delivering less than ... 1A? 1.5A? Something like that?
Apparently not, since some devices won't request more than 500mA, so that is still part of the spec, but oddly enough wasn't part of PD 1.0.
Of course we will. But this is more likely to lead to fewer complaints rather than more. The main difference might be that there are fewer types of complaints - i.e. no more "I can't find a charger that fits my [thing]" or "this has the same plug but I tried it and now my [thing] doesn't work", with all complaints being concentrated into the category of "this charger/cable charges my [thing] slower than expected". This would be a major win IMO.
Well, at least everyone in the office will have a cable that fits everyone else's device, which should be a huge bonus, rather than you being the only one that uses the plug that your device has...
That would be fantastic, but as you say, it's unlikely. But at the very least, this now mandates that those proprietary chargers and devices also support PD 3.0. Which would be fantastic - I'm still pissed that my old Oneplus charger had this weird quasi-proprietary USB-A plug that meant only their cables worked, and only went above 1A with their phones. And I'm equally annoyed that my partner's Mate 10 Pro doesn't fast charge over anything other than Huawei's chargers. At least this means those situations will go away.
Yeah, as answered above. That's also insane and very annoying, as the only reason a manufacturer would do that, is to sell more accessories. Not exactly a new thing to do, but no less stupid.

I just want to point out that I'm not the only one with USB-C related issues, as the article below started in 2018 and three years later is still going strong, just with a different set of evolving issues. It also contains a graph that shows that not all devices will charge at the speed you'd expect, despite the charger being able to deliver enough power over USB PD. Sometimes an 18W charger can be a faster option than a 40W charger and sometimes the supplied 40W charger doesn't even deliver 25W, although this is for obvious reasons of how fast charging works, but I'm sure some consumers are going to be complaining about this too.

System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Maybe not 18W, but apparently a lot of Apple customers have had issues, since Apple offered a range of power adapters and people bought the smaller 60-65W ones, even though their high-end notebooks required a 96W one. People don't like lugging around big power adapters...

The incentive would be that 3.1 would have a longer overall lifespan than 3.0, since we are what, 2-3 years away from this being a fixed requirement due to the two year grace period. So why start with an older standard when there's already an improved standard out there.

Mandating PD technically doesn't mean that companies can't continue making their own weird standards, as long as PD also works. But at least trickle charging might be going away, since no-one likes to plug in their phone to find that it only charged 3% and hour later.

It just tells us that a lot of companies are lazy when it comes to implementing sensible software features.

Apparently not, since some devices won't request more than 500mA, so that is still part of the spec, but oddly enough wasn't part of PD 1.0.

Well, at least everyone in the office will have a cable that fits everyone else's device, which should be a huge bonus, rather than you being the only one that uses the plug that your device has...

Yeah, as answered above. That's also insane and very annoying, as the only reason a manufacturer would do that, is to sell more accessories. Not exactly a new thing to do, but no less stupid.

I just want to point out that I'm not the only one with USB-C related issues, as the article below started in 2018 and three years later is still going strong, just with a different set of evolving issues. It also contains a graph that shows that not all devices will charge at the speed you'd expect, despite the charger being able to deliver enough power over USB PD. Sometimes an 18W charger can be a faster option than a 40W charger and sometimes the supplied 40W charger doesn't even deliver 25W, although this is for obvious reasons of how fast charging works, but I'm sure some consumers are going to be complaining about this too.

You're not wrong overall, but IMO I think you're overstating the issues. That Android Authority article also conflates some entirely separate things (proprietary charging standards over USB-C are after all fundamentally unrelated to USB-C - you might as well blame roads for the existence of speeding), and overstates others. The need for active cabling and adapters is universal across ever faster interface standards (including HDMI and DP), and has nothing in particular to do with USB-C. The claim that "Even delivering power requires a complicated circuit with USB-C, in order to accommodate for the reversible connector type, the range of power options, and the choice between upward, downward, and bi-directional charging port and data options." is dramatically overstating how "complicated" these circuits they are.

That graph with the different fast charging modes is IMO quite misleading, as the framing of the article is "USB-C is confusing", while what it demonstrates is that "proprietary charging standards are confusing". The two are not identical in any way, and using one as proof of the other is logically problematic. Blame/responsibility needs to be directed where it belongs - and with proprietary USB-C extensions, that is firmly with the manufacturer, and neither the connector, its standard, nor the body responsible for that standard. And as you agreed, implementing PD support as a minimum ought to ensure that even proprietary chargers work at a decent rate for other devices. The PPS extension seems to throw a wrench in the works here, and hopefully (if it actually delivers tangible benefits) it gets adopted more broadly. But if not, that is still better than the alternative - 500mA or 1A charging. If your phone charges at 15W instead of 25W, that is a lot better than it charging at 5W or 10W. Is that perfect? Of course not. But it's still an improvement.

And sure, you can argue that adopting 3.0 as law when 3.1 is out is a bit late, but even with a grace period that's a pretty hard push for updating product lines for a bunch of manufacturers. Being too aggressive in this can potentially lead to more waste, as well as driving up prices (and potentially a misguided push for end users to buy new, 3.1-compliant chargers). And there's nothing holding OEMs or device makers back from implementing 3.1 or even newer standards when they arrive within this framework.

It's very surprising that a 500mA spec is still allowed though, as there's nothing stopping a charger from providing less power than its maximum output, so what some devices will request ought to be irrelevant, no? Mandating 1A or even 2A minimum outputs seems like a sensible solution to me. Sure, a good 500mA design will be more efficient when charging a 500mA max device, but at those amperages the loss will be negligible anyway. But it's imperative that PD-compatible devices are smart enough to let users know if they aren't receiving a sufficient charge - and IMO they ought to be able to do so even when connected to something utterly dumb like an in-car USB-A connector. At least phones and laptops could do this trivially - and anything else with a modicum of communication between the charge controller and the OS, really. I wouldn't expect your headphones to do so, but then I wouldn't expect them to charge that much slower either.

At this point though, competent implementations are more important than better standards, and this initiative does have the potential to lead towards this, even if imperfectly.

System Name custom
Processor intel i7 9700
Motherboard asrock taichi z370
Cooling EK-AIO 360 D-RGB
Memory 24G Kingston HyperX Fury 2666mhz
Video Card(s) GTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage SSD 960GB crucial + 2 Crucial 500go SSD + 2TO crucial M2
Display(s) BENQ XL2420T
Case Lian-li o11 dynamic der8auer Edition
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply corsair ax1200i
Mouse MX518 legendary edition
Keyboard gigabyte Aivia Osmium
VR HMD PSVR2
Software windows 11
cant wait when people gonna plug something USB-C and it wont charge/work because of generation compatibility (already happening i think)

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
Android phones are moving already to USB type C anyway, so this will mostly impact apple.

Just took a quick glance at the AA article, yeah the different charging behaviours, fixing that might be a good thing.

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
as there's nothing stopping a charger from providing less power than its maximum output,
All chargers, in whatever form, including car alternators and car battery chargers, are designed to deliver only whats needed by the item being charged. A 100 amp car battery charger doesnt always charge as 100 amps. Cars have their own regulator design and are rarely separate from todays alternators. Max Output is only reached if its actually needed. You can use a 5 amp charger on a dead car battery which might take a day, or two, or three, or you can use a higher amp charger to get there in a few hours.

I dont see why phone chargers would act any differently.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Android phones are moving already to USB type C anyway, so this will mostly impact apple.

Just took a quick glance at the AA article, yeah the different charging behaviours, fixing that might be a good thing.
It's not just about phones though, it's pretty much about pretty much all portable, battery powered electronics, with the exception of laptops.

All chargers, in whatever form, including car alternators and car battery chargers, are designed to deliver only whats needed by the item being charged. A 100 amp car battery charger doesnt always charge as 100 amps. Cars have their own regulator design and are rarely separate from todays alternators. Max Output is only reached if its actually needed. You can use a 5 amp charger on a dead car battery which might take a day, or two, or three, or you can use a higher amp charger to get there in a few hours.

The only difference is that phone chargers have "fallback" settings for old/dumb devices or for when they can't negotiate the correct current. These fallback settings are 5V/500mA and/or 900mA or 1A, still at 5V. As I pointed out elsewhere here, 500mA is not enough for many modern devices to charge from, as even in standby mode, a phone will only gain single digits of battery life per hour at best.

You're not wrong overall, but IMO I think you're overstating the issues. That Android Authority article also conflates some entirely separate things (proprietary charging standards over USB-C are after all fundamentally unrelated to USB-C - you might as well blame roads for the existence of speeding), and overstates others. The need for active cabling and adapters is universal across ever faster interface standards (including HDMI and DP), and has nothing in particular to do with USB-C. The claim that "Even delivering power requires a complicated circuit with USB-C, in order to accommodate for the reversible connector type, the range of power options, and the choice between upward, downward, and bi-directional charging port and data options." is dramatically overstating how "complicated" these circuits they are.'
Yes, sure, some of the points I made I honestly don't care too much about, it's just that it's possible to appease the likes of Apple, even though it might not make any real sense.
The article was more to show that I'm not the only one that has reacted on how complex USB-C is and that there are too many conflict points where even techy people like us are sometimes going to scratch our heads and wonder why it doesn't work.
That graph with the different fast charging modes is IMO quite misleading, as the framing of the article is "USB-C is confusing", while what it demonstrates is that "proprietary charging standards are confusing". The two are not identical in any way, and using one as proof of the other is logically problematic. Blame/responsibility needs to be directed where it belongs - and with proprietary USB-C extensions, that is firmly with the manufacturer, and neither the connector, its standard, nor the body responsible for that standard. And as you agreed, implementing PD support as a minimum ought to ensure that even proprietary chargers work at a decent rate for other devices. The PPS extension seems to throw a wrench in the works here, and hopefully (if it actually delivers tangible benefits) it gets adopted more broadly. But if not, that is still better than the alternative - 500mA or 1A charging. If your phone charges at 15W instead of 25W, that is a lot better than it charging at 5W or 10W. Is that perfect? Of course not. But it's still an improvement.
Same as above, if you haven't read up on things, you might make flawed assumptions and that's going to cause frustration. But yes, the blame lies with the device makers, as they're trying to be ahead of the curve and try to produce solutions to problems most people don't have. I don't think I ever blamed the USB-IF for this mess, but they really need to improve their naming schemes, as they suck.
And sure, you can argue that adopting 3.0 as law when 3.1 is out is a bit late, but even with a grace period that's a pretty hard push for updating product lines for a bunch of manufacturers. Being too aggressive in this can potentially lead to more waste, as well as driving up prices (and potentially a misguided push for end users to buy new, 3.1-compliant chargers). And there's nothing holding OEMs or device makers back from implementing 3.1 or even newer standards when they arrive within this framework.
3.1 would simply mean that we have a standard with longer future proofing, in as much as that is possible. It's more of an extension of 3.0 than anything else and you obviously don't have to support the entire Voltage range, just like you don't have to do that with any of the previous version.
It's very surprising that a 500mA spec is still allowed though, as there's nothing stopping a charger from providing less power than its maximum output, so what some devices will request ought to be irrelevant, no? Mandating 1A or even 2A minimum outputs seems like a sensible solution to me. Sure, a good 500mA design will be more efficient when charging a 500mA max device, but at those amperages the loss will be negligible anyway. But it's imperative that PD-compatible devices are smart enough to let users know if they aren't receiving a sufficient charge - and IMO they ought to be able to do so even when connected to something utterly dumb like an in-car USB-A connector. At least phones and laptops could do this trivially - and anything else with a modicum of communication between the charge controller and the OS, really. I wouldn't expect your headphones to do so, but then I wouldn't expect them to charge that much slower either.
Well, as above, it's a fallback for "dumb" and old devices, but it's not suitable for any modern device.
At this point though, competent implementations are more important than better standards, and this initiative does have the potential to lead towards this, even if imperfectly.
Hehe, yeah, some of that involves costs as well and you know as well as I do, that if you can save a penny, someone will do it...
Sometimes that penny means that the device or cable is no longer following the spec, something I'm sure many of us have experienced at times.

cant wait when people gonna plug something USB-C and it wont charge/work because of generation compatibility (already happening i think)
It shouldn't really happen, as the base set of Voltages was already decided upon for USB PD before USB-C existed, which is a good thing.
However, since USB is quite a flexible interface, I'm sure we'll see someone plugging in something odd that doesn't follow those specs and it won't charge.

System Name HELLSTAR
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Sh*** this is on par of our robot zombie posting manners xD

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
The only difference is that phone chargers have "fallback" settings for old/dumb devices or for when they can't negotiate the correct current. These fallback settings are 5V/500mA and/or 900mA or 1A, still at 5V. As I pointed out elsewhere here, 500mA is not enough for many modern devices to charge from, as even in standby mode, a phone will only gain single digits of battery life per hour at best.
No idea what you mean by fallback exactly, but no, a charger will only supply what is needed, if max output is needed, thats what it gets, if it doesnt need max output, it will reduce output accordingly ( negotiated output, if you feel the need to call it that ). IDC what technology you use, all charger work with the same principle, unless its be design to give max output regardless of the state of the battery/power storage device.

You are correct about phone gaining single digits of life, thats always gonna happen if the charger has a low rating/max output, a 5 amp charger cannot charge/give more than 5 amps, but it will still work and thats the point everyone is making, aint it?

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
No idea what you mean by fallback exactly, but no, a charger will only supply what is needed, if max output is needed, thats what it gets, if it doesnt need max output, it will reduce output accordingly ( negotiated output, if you feel the need to call it that ). IDC what technology you use, all charger work with the same principle, unless its be design to give max output regardless of the state of the battery/power storage device.

You are correct about phone gaining single digits of life, thats always gonna happen if the charger has a low rating/max output, a 5 amp charger cannot charge/give more than 5 amps, but it will still work and thats the point everyone is making, aint it?
USB charging is "negotiated" i.e. the device sends a request for a certain Voltage and current to the charger, the charger then responds if it can deliver said Voltage and current. If the device is unable to negotiate this with the charger, then it falls back to 5V 500mA or 900mA/1A. Most USB chargers have a fair amount of "smarts" in them these days, but even that isn't always good enough.
So yes, you're correct that a higher current can't be provided, a lower current can and this is the problem with USB in certain situations.

But it's not really working in all instances, that's the issue here as I explained. I have a 5V/500mA USB port in the car and it doesn't provide enough power to charge my phone.
I actually got rid of a bunch of old chargers a little while ago, since they don't charge anything we have any more and they were all old USB phone chargers.

Last edited:
System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
have a 5V/500mA USB port in the car and it doesn't provide enough power to charge my phone.
That is by design for all cars, I had that information on that at one time, so lets call anti-smoke-n-fire mode. :D

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro

Yeah, exactly my point. Mandating a 500mA fallback mode can be done almost whatever the rated output of the charger. On the other hand, there is zero reason to allow chargers that can only deliver currents that obsolete to still be marked/marketed as PD-compliant. IMO, mandating a minimum rating of something like 5V2A (or even 3A) for PD compliance would be a very sensible thing.
3.1 would simply mean that we have a standard with longer future proofing, in as much as that is possible. It's more of an extension of 3.0 than anything else and you obviously don't have to support the entire Voltage range, just like you don't have to do that with any of the previous version.
That's true - but then it's not hard to imagine them moving to 3.1 a few years down the line. I doubt this standard is meant to last forever, and it'll be easy enough to get approval for an update to the standard once it's implemented.
Hehe, yeah, some of that involves costs as well and you know as well as I do, that if you can save a penny, someone will do it...
Sometimes that penny means that the device or cable is no longer following the spec, something I'm sure many of us have experienced at times.
Yeah, penny-pinching does tend to undermine standards, and really runs the risk of eroding end-user trust as well. Hopefully this standardization will go some way towards fixing that - though no doubt you'll have plenty of non-compliant products with faked certificates (or just markings) or just things being smuggled in to mess with everything. Where there's money to be made, someone is bound to try to screw everyone else over.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
That is by design for all cars, I had that information on that at one time, so lets call anti-smoke-n-fire mode. :D
Fair enough, I have to admit that I don't know too much about car electronics and electricals.
That's true - but then it's not hard to imagine them moving to 3.1 a few years down the line. I doubt this standard is meant to last forever, and it'll be easy enough to get approval for an update to the standard once it's implemented.
Fingers crossed the EU is that adaptable. Some large corporate dinosaurs are not and I'm wondering if large bureaucracies are any better...
Yeah, penny-pinching does tend to undermine standards, and really runs the risk of eroding end-user trust as well. Hopefully this standardization will go some way towards fixing that - though no doubt you'll have plenty of non-compliant products with faked certificates (or just markings) or just things being smuggled in to mess with everything. Where there's money to be made, someone is bound to try to screw everyone else over.
The UL certification in the US is a lot stricter than the CE certification in Europe for power devices, as CE is self certification and the sell/brand/manufacturer is responsible if anything goes wrong. That has been an issue for a lot of electrical products, as sometimes the "source" of the product can't be located any more and the insurance companies refuse to pay up, since you used a non certified product, most likely without knowing it. This is actually something I'd like to see the EU improve upon and provide searchable certification databases like UL and the FCC does in the US. Obviously you can still slip through the system if you pay a dodgy third party testing lab, especially in the PRC, but then why even bother?
There's really no need to smuggle thing, as in reality, very few shipments of electronics and electrical goods have the certification paperwork thoroughly checked at the time of importation. It tends to be stricter for things with radio transmitters, but technically, at least to the US, you just need to have an FCC ID that correlates to your company name and you're good to go. The more you know...

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
If anything they should force the Phone makers use USB 3.1 at least, not USB 2.0 on a type-C port.
Sadly the data bit has nothing to do with USB PD :(

System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus PRIME B350M-A
Cooling Wraith Stealth Cooler, 4x140mm Noctua NF-A14 FLX 1200RPM Case Fans
Memory Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CMK16GX4M2A2400C14R DDR4 2400MHz Vengeance LPX DIMM
Video Card(s) GTX 1050 2GB (for now) 3060 12GB on order
Storage Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, Lots of HDD storage
Display(s) 32 inch 4K LG, 55 & 48 inch LG OLED, 40 inch Panasonic LED LCD
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Sound: LG Monitor Built-in speakers (currently), Mike: Marantz MaZ
Power Supply Corsair CS550M 550W ATX Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified, Semi-Modular Design
Mouse Logitech M280
Keyboard Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750R (works best in summer)
VR HMD none
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit OEM, Captur 1 21
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20: 3508 (WIP)
From a UK perspective USB-C, the letter C now stands for Continental.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm more interested in the connectivity. Being able to to output lagless video via hdmi/display port , having RJ45 Gigabibit, card readers etc etc
Well, still not related to USB PD.
And this is why USB-C is a mess...
Even for something like video output, there are a few different ways it can be done.
The one missing in the link is DisplayLink, but it requires a driver to be installed, which the options in the link shouldn't.

System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
If anything they should force the Phone makers use USB 3.1 at least, not USB 2.0 on a type-C port.

All flagship devices I service utilize USB3 lines for years. If you pickup a mainstream or budget device, what else you expect? They are cheaper for a reason.

I would accent. That USB-C ain't such a mess as many say.

Don't bring the optional lines and display here... it is OPTIONAL and utilized as manufacturer pleases. Some do Display, some use them as analog headphone output so pick you poison, it is optional.

Last edited:
System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
All flagship devices I service utilize USB3 lines for years. If you pickup a mainstream or budget device, what else you expect? They are cheaper for a reason.

I would accent. That USB-C ain't such a mess as many say.

Don't bring the optional lines and display here... it is OPTIONAL and utilized as manufacturer pleases. Some do Display, some use them as analog headphone output so pick you poison, it is optional.
Except Asus :shadedshu:

And yet there are so many articles like this one, which is also seemingly not helping.

System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Except Asus :shadedshu:

And yet there are so many articles like this one, which is also seemingly not helping.

Asus phones are a joke. We serviced them, after loads of RMA, spare parts coming like 2-3months and defective. You cannot even imagine how immature they are design wise (hint - super glue is an official spare part).

Basically while flashing phones speed hovers around 50-80MB/s via USB3, that's the average mobile NAND write speed.

So... it ain't that bad, if you stick to normal and mature phone manufacturers. If you cheap out you get what you have paid for, as usual so no surprises here.