• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Valve Cracks Open the Steam Deck, so You Don't Have to

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
If you bought the 64 GB Steam Deck with plans to upgrade the internal drive, then Valve has posted a video just for you. Well, then again maybe not, as although Valve says that you have the right to do whatever you want with your hardware, they point out that if you cause any damage to the Steam Deck while opening it, they won't cover the damage under the warranty.

They also point out that opening the Steam Deck will apparently weaken the structural integrity somewhat. Opening up the Steam Deck requires the removal of eight screws before you can remove the rear panel. Valve hasn't made things easily accessible inside either, as the first thing they ask you to do, is to disconnect the battery. However, the connector is hidden underneath the EMI shield that covers the SSD and the wireless module, which makes it hard to reach.

As Valve is using an M.2 2230 drive, it's also not going to be easy to find a replacement drive and unlike most M.2 SSDs, the default drive inside the Steam Deck features a dedicated EMI shield, which a replacement drive is unlikely to do. Valve makes a disclaimer that swapping out the SSD might cause interference with the wireless module, as the drives the Steam Deck ships with, were specifically chosen to prevent this from ever happening. It would also be largely impossible to fit an EMI shield to an SSD, due to the fact that it would have to be soldered on for something as small as an M.2 drive.

The video also shows how to replace a thumb stick, although Valve points out that it's a custom part that can't be easily replaced. On the other hand, the video also mentions that Valve will be announcing a partner for spare parts for the Steam Deck, which is good news, as it means third party repairs are likely to be possible.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
ifixit hate them?
Well, this is only a partial teardown that doesn't really show all the details iFixit tends to go into.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
it seems clear it could be smaller, it was a deliberate option

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
... I feel a need to point out that he's wearing his anti-static wrist strap outside of his insulating rubber gloves .... We need a facepalm emote here.

Edit: at least they have the sense to point it out in the video themselves. That's something, I guess.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
still glad I went with Switch OLED over this. that OLED screen is going to be gorgeous to play my indie games on.

System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
unlike most M.2 SSDs, the default drive inside the Steam Deck features a dedicated EMI shield, which a replacement drive is unlikely to do.
Looking at the video - with the caveat that it's showing pre-production hardware and this might change - it's reasonably clear (~5:00 in the video, slow it down to 25% playback speed for clarity) that the EMI shield on the SSD is just a piece of aluminium (steel?) tape cut precisely to fit and wrapped around the drive. It doesn't have the tell-tale sharp 3D outline of a soldered-on EMI shield, and notably it visibly wraps around the drive (which a soldered-on shield generally doesn't do) with a clear seam on the back. This makes it seem likely that something similar could be done with a replacement drive - or the tape might even be successfully transplanted over to a new drive (assuming they haven't moved to a custom drive with a soldered-on shield at that point). This is TBH a bit surprising to me - doesn't an EMI shield need to be grounded to be effective? Either way, while their concerns are still likely valid - the EMI pattern of a different drive might be quite different - it doesn't quite spell doom on WiFi performance for SSD swaps either.

ifixit hate them?
Ifixit tends to applaud first-party disassembly/teardown videos (it's not like they can do every device out there), so I doubt it.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
ifixit is still a good source to get official battery replacements. if you buy a battery from some third party on amazon or ebay you are prob getting garbage. at least ifixit is using official channels (I think so anyway) to source their battery replacements.

System Name Skypas
Processor Intel Core i7-6700
Motherboard Asus H170 Pro Gaming
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212X Turbo
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB + WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) LG 22EA63V
Case Corsair Carbide 400Q
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2 w/ Deepcool XFan 120
Mouse Logitech B100
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
Software Windows 10 Pro (to be replaced by 2025)
The 64GB model is tempting, it has microSD slot but they didn't tell anything about it except "All models include high-speed microSD card slot"

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Well, this is only a partial teardown that doesn't really show all the details iFixit tends to go into.
Yes, but I can already feel their repairability score dropping. Not because of the video, but because it does not look like an easy work environment. Things like "do not open, will compromise structural integrity!" are also big nonos.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Looking at the video - with the caveat that it's showing pre-production hardware and this might change - it's reasonably clear (~5:00 in the video, slow it down to 25% playback speed for clarity) that the EMI shield on the SSD is just a piece of aluminium (steel?) tape cut precisely to fit and wrapped around the drive. It doesn't have the tell-tale sharp 3D outline of a soldered-on EMI shield, and notably it visibly wraps around the drive (which a soldered-on shield generally doesn't do) with a clear seam on the back. This makes it seem likely that something similar could be done with a replacement drive - or the tape might even be successfully transplanted over to a new drive (assuming they haven't moved to a custom drive with a soldered-on shield at that point). This is TBH a bit surprising to me - doesn't an EMI shield need to be grounded to be effective? Either way, while their concerns are still likely valid - the EMI pattern of a different drive might be quite different - it doesn't quite spell doom on WiFi performance for SSD swaps either.
Doesn't look like tape though, it looks like a folded metal cover, but yes, it doesn't look soldered on like the EMI shields on Wi-Fi cards. However, I would expect final production units to have soldered on EMI shields, if they had to make one for the pre-production units to pass FCC testing.
Not going to be easy to do on your own though, as someone that have tried to remove EMI noise in products in the past, it's a big difference between the various materials used and the tolerances aren't very big. We tested out some "magical" new material at work and it ended up being no different to copper tape...
Also, you can't touch the electrical component with such tape, so you'd have to figure out how to insulate the SSD, which in turn might mean it'll run hotter.
Yes, EMI shields do in general have to be grounded, but ground in something like this is a bit different to what most people refer to as ground and it's possible they've done something to the drive to access the ground plane in it.
Since we only have so much information to go on, it's hard to say, but still, good catch.

Yes, but I can already feel their repairability score dropping. Not because of the video, but because it does not look like an easy work environment. Things like "do not open, will compromise structural integrity!" are also big nonos.
Yeah, the do not open part is a bit odd and it looks like the screws are screwed into the plastic, rather than using moulded in screw threads, as you would expect for something this expensive. With self tapping screws, there are only going to be so many times you can open a product before you start damaging the plastic, regardless of material.

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yep, self-tapping screws in plastic is a bit meh. They are great for strength, but only assuming no disassembly (ever). They're entirely right that this will reduce structural integrity, as a second insertion of the screws into the partially sprung-back threads tapped into the plastic by the preceding screw will never be as tight a fit or as secure as the first insertion. Some thread locker (one that works on plastic) might improve that, but it'll never be as good as the first installation. As for the easy work environment ... I don't know. Eight screws for entry is fine (though two different types is a drag); the battery connector being covered by a screwed-down EMI shield is a bit dumb (why not just have another tape-covered cutout there, like for the central screws?), and the EMI shield screws also partially holding the cooler down is both smart and dumb at the same time. The daughterboard for the USB-C and power button(?) is good (easily replaceable), and the same goes for both thumb sticks and input boards on both sides. Still, no matter what, this isn't getting a 10/10.

Doesn't look like tape though, it looks like a folded metal cover, but yes, it doesn't look soldered on like the EMI shields on Wi-Fi cards. However, I would expect final production units to have soldered on EMI shields, if they had to make one for the pre-production units to pass FCC testing.
Not going to be easy to do on your own though, as someone that have tried to remove EMI noise in products in the past, it's a big difference between the various materials used and the tolerances aren't very big. We tested out some "magical" new material at work and it ended up being no different to copper tape...
Also, you can't touch the electrical component with such tape, so you'd have to figure out how to insulate the SSD, which in turn might mean it'll run hotter.
Yes, EMI shields do in general have to be grounded, but ground in something like this is a bit different to what most people refer to as ground and it's possible they've done something to the drive to access the ground plane in it.
Since we only have so much information to go on, it's hard to say, but still, good catch.
Steel tape can be pretty stiff, so it might be that - after all, tape is just some form of foil with an adhesive backing, so whether it's a folded cover or a tape cover is kind of moot as long as it's stuck down (and I don't see any other way of that being held in place) :p Aren't there shielding tapes with insulated backings meant for precisely these applications, btw? If not, a wrapping of kapton tape ought to insulate everything safely without noticeably adverse thermal effects before adding something metal for shielding. Still, as you say, one can't just assume that a DIY solution - even a very good one - will have the same effect as one that's actually developed and tested by engineers with the relevant skills and tools.

That feel like a message for an average joe who never done it before and has no idea what he is doing.

From this limited teardown it looks like it will be pretty easy to do common repairs. They even mentioned that spare parts providers will be given. That is great as oppose to apple et al. who would love to ban any repairs altogether.

I was sceptical about the steamdeck and I am still not planning on getting it but repairability and potential aftermarket parts are big plus

System Name Graphics Card Free...
Processor Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX Wifi
Cooling Cryorig M9a w/ BeQuiet! PureWings 2 ~ 92mm
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 ~ 16GB(2x8GB)
Storage Samsung EVO 870 SSD - 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2
Case Cardboard...
Power Supply eVGA SuperNova 550w G3
Mouse Logitech t400 Zone Touch Mouse
Keyboard IBM Model "M" Keyboard
Software Manjaro ~ KDE Plasma
Benchmark Scores She's a Runner!
Let's see...

You have full repairability, the parts are relatively easy to access. There will be third party vendors for parts replacements/upgrades. I'm not seeing a single issue here.

Structural integrity? You're not twisting the device in your hands when playing a video game...you're just gripping the unit. How strong does it have to be? It's a plastic handheld device to play video games? I'm sure it'll do what you intend it to do...and do it well.

I've been taking these things apart for over 40 years to see how they tick and i've never run into a single issue after reinstall. Other than "creaking" after I've done it too many times. What device had the creaking problem? The original PSP with an ill fitted casing purchased in the aftermarket.

1970's handhelds.jpg Parker_brothers_merlin_hand_held_electronic_game.jpg

Tomy-Blip.jpg

I'm buying mine to use it...not set it on a shelf and stare at it. Make no mistakes here....I'm going to beat the living hell out of this thing and from what I see of the engineering that went into it...it will be able to handle my abuse just fine.

I'm not seeing cut corners here...I'm seeing overkill and frankly speaking....if the Steam Deck is successful, you'll have 3rd Party vendors crawling out of the woodwork selling you every type of doo-dad possible. Even replacement enclosures aren't out of the realm of imagination...are they?

I took apart dozens of PSP's...never lost a one. Never had a problem with any of them. They don't look even close to as well made as this device.

Again...built like a tank with easy access to replacement parts? Not to mention...Steam is giving you full access when Apple and Microsoft are doing there dead level best to take it away. Runs on linux?

I've said it before and I'll say it again...It's a dream machine for the tinkerer.

Best,

Liquid Cool

P.S. The Blip. was actually mechanical....the oddest device I've ever owned.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
"Turn it over to a pro":
1633603842057.png

So they made a shield like this:
1633604042775.png

That screws into the cooling assembly for the APU...

Which you have to unscrew to get to the SSD which is here:
1633604125864.png

Well how about making two separate shields instead? Or a hinge over the place where the NVMe is screwed in.

That way you wouldn't have to "recommend" users not to mess with replacing the SSD themselves.

It's like they designed it to be user serviceable and then they are telling users not to service it.

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Youtube man. Every video you record is destroying a few million brain cells. Uploaded to the cloud.
I mean, it's freaking Valve. How about you do another take with ESD strap worn correctly. That's just lazy.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I mean, it's freaking Valve. How about you do another take with ESD strap worn correctly. That's just lazy.

HL3, what more can we say.

System Name Black Knight | White Queen
Processor Intel Core i9-10940X | Intel Core i7-5775C
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore X299G | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S (White)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | Xigmatek Dark Knight SD-1283 Night Hawk (White)
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4 3600MHz CL16 | Corsair Vengeance LP 4x4GB DDR3L 1600MHz CL9 (White)
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC | KFA2/Galax GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hall of Fame Edition
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, 980 Pro 1TB, 850 Pro 256GB, 840 Pro 256GB, WD 10TB+ (incl. VelociRaptors)
Display(s) Dell Alienware AW2721D 240Hz, ASUS ROG Strix XG279Q 170Hz, ASUS PA246Q 60Hz| Samsung JU7500 48'' TV
Case Corsair 7000D AIRFLOW (Black) | NZXT ??? w/ ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX | Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 1250W 85+ | Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W (White)
Mouse Razer Basilisk Ultimate, Razer Naga Trinity | Razer Mamba 16000
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 (Orange switch) | Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Looks a bit "how-ya-doin'" in terms of layout and cabling, but we see the final version. :) I guess until is widely available, we will have rev. 2.0 or Steam Deck OLED Model. :D

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
"Turn it over to a pro":
View attachment 219877

So they made a shield like this:
View attachment 219878
That screws into the cooling assembly for the APU...

Which you have to unscrew to get to the SSD which is here:
View attachment 219879
Well how about making two separate shields instead? Or a hinge over the place where the NVMe is screwed in.

That way you wouldn't have to "recommend" users not to mess with replacing the SSD themselves.

It's like they designed it to be user serviceable and then they are telling users not to service it.
Given that the WiFi module looks like it's (partially) underneath the SSD, that's likely not feasible - that module also needs to be shielded from outside interference, and the module needs to be shielded from the (very close by) SSD. The only real solution there would be to place these components differently - which I'm sure they've considered and have good reason not to.

I have to say though, that is one impressively small motherboard. Damn.

Chloefile

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
The 64GB model with few 256/512GB µSD cards could be interesting. I thought that those larger cards are more expensive than what they are, though it's wise to not buy the cheapest (= slowest) ones.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Am I crazy, or did everyone just miss the sarcastic humour?

o_O

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Am I crazy, or did everyone just miss the sarcastic humour?

o_O
Not at all. Just discussing the non-sarcastic parts of the video :)

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
Wish we could get a current spec on the SSD. Found some affordable 256GB 2230 Samsung pm991a(s) and at only 1.4A. Most 2230 drives I otherwise found were 1.8-3A IIRC.
I've had luck 'DIY'ing EMI shielding before. Had a couple 'cheapy' x1-x16 risers that wouldn't work correctly until I threw some Reynolds wrap and aluminum tape on the ribbon cable. I feel that I could figure something out.
Honestly, I adore the fact that this little device is going to bring awareness to EMI inside of computers. Many *experienced* enthusiasts and techs haven't the slightest clue as to the issues that can come up because of it.

Looking forward to Replacement Casings with in-built x4-4x x1 pcie switch and/or a semi-externalized PCIe/m.2 slot. A slight change in the ergonomics would allow a shielded riser out of the m.2 on The Deck, or even a x4 Lane pcie 'dock'.