• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First MSI Intel Z690 Motherboards Leak

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
I guess there was lots of stock in the channel that retailers didn't bother exchanging.

I bought mine in March and "B3 revisions" were the only models on sale; The B3 revision was prominent - not just on the box but directly in the retailer product listings. I ended up buying P8P67 boards for work that generation. I guess as always, it pays not to jump on something the instant it comes out and let other people be the paying beta testers. It's a shame that consumers tolerate being treated like shit by manufacturers and retailers because it gives manufacturers and retailers an excuse to keep doing it.
Not saying Intel didn't catch that one fairly quickly, but if you consider the amount of boards that are being prepared for each SKU at each boardmaker, that ends up being quite a lot of boards that are produced ahead of a new launch and that was a rather important one at that. I obviously don't have the exact number of boards, but even 250k per the big four isn't really a lot if you split that across multiple SKUs and then all the countries that they sell in, hence why I said a million or so.
I'm not sure how much was done by retailers, but there clearly was enough time for the boards to end up in consumers hands and many weren't aware of the issue, so they never did anything about it, even though it wouldn't have cost them anything.

But yes, you're right, there's way too much beta testing going on and it's only getting worse. It's all about being "first" which is getting kind of annoying, especially when the product sometimes is dropped six months later and you don't get any support. I know Qualcomm messed up one of their Wi-Fi chips and they pretty much told their partners tough luck and their partners did the same to the consumers who got a poorly working 802.11ac router... Unlike Intel and P67, there was no exchange program, it was just another case of suck it up early adopter.

System Name Proper
Processor 5900X + OC
Motherboard GB X570s Elite AX
Cooling WC Heatkiller 3.0 LT
Memory G.Skill 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3070 Ti Trinity LC'ed + OC
Storage KC2500 1TB + A2000 1TB
Display(s) GB M32Q
Case Fractal Define R6 USB C
Audio Device(s) Creative AE-7 + Phonic AM120
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-850
Mouse Log G502 X LS
Keyboard Keychron K5 Opt.brown
Yikes. I hope that wasn't electrically conductive.
Water itself isn't conductive - it's all the stuff dissolved in it that conducts electricity. If You cleaned Your LC loop well enough, the contamination even after 2-3 years should be so low for it to not cause any damage. However I did clean the MB with distilled water and pure alcohol (it pushes away the water and then evaporates) a few times before I put everything back together.

The whole PC still works after 6 years since the distaster happened. :)

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
The number makes my Z370 feel old, but ultimately I dont need the upgrade, I have not been cpu bound for a long time, and I dont see it happening any time soon.

On the Z690 boards pictured here the SATA ports seem very badly positioned, and is it the trend now to only have 4 SATA ports?

Last edited: