• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Reveals its Intel Z690 Motherboards

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
ASUS' upcoming Z690 motherboards have been revealed and the company has put its product pages as well as posted additional details of most of its upcoming boards, which gives us a good look at where they're heading with the Z690-series. As mentioned before, ASUS has something like 30 different SKUs, so expect to spend some time to go over all the different models.

We're not going to spend too much time on the details right now and we suggest you head over to the source links and read up on the nitty gritty bits there. A few things to point out though is that ASUS appears to have worked on its own memory overclocking standard called AEMP, which is said to handle memory that lacks XMP profiles, which implies that Intel might not have had time to work with memory manufacturers to get XMP ready for DDR5. ASUS' ROG Maximus and ProArt motherboards feature dual PCIe 5.0 slots, whereas all other models only feature one, albeit obviously a single x16 or dual x8 slots. Some boards will feature Thunderbolt 4 and ASUS has even put a front connector on some of those, although we're not sure how that will work in terms of case compatibility.

Some models also feature what ASUS calls a Q-Release button, which makes it easier to release the graphics card latch with the help of a button at the front of the motherboard that is connected to a wire that pulls the latch down. ASUS also points out that despite the fact that they've added LGA-115x/1200 mounting holes for coolers, in addition to the LGA-1700 mounting holes, not all coolers will be compatible with the previous generation mounting holes due to the lower height of the socket. Finally ASUS is throwing in a free month of Adobe Creative Cloud with some of its motherboards, oddly enough not the ProArt, but rather its ROG boards.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

D

Deleted member 24505

Love the GPU release button, what a brill idea, i have had to reach under the card in the past with a screwdriver to try and release it.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Love the GPU release button, what a brill idea, i have had to reach under the card in the past with a screwdriver to try and release it.
We'll have to wait and see how easy it is to use, since it's mechanical, based on a "steel" wire that you're "pulling" down by pushing the button, which in turn releases the latch.

D

Deleted member 24505

We'll have to wait and see how easy it is to use, since it's mechanical, based on a "steel" wire that you're "pulling" down by pushing the button, which in turn releases the latch.

Might need a bit of a jiggle whilst pressing the button maybe.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Might need a bit of a jiggle whilst pressing the button maybe.
Well, similar things tend to get stuck sometimes, but it's at least a solution to a sometimes annoying problem.
With all the extra metal and plastic covering the board, I can see why they did it.

Well, similar things tend to get stuck sometimes, but it's at least a solution to a sometimes annoying problem.
With all the extra metal and plastic covering the board, I can see why they did it.
I think its time the PCIE slot for the graphics card and the graphics card itself is rethought and goes under a reversion so GPUs don't succumb to the force of gravity and you can actually move a PC without it ripping the GPU from the motherboard. That stupid little latch should be ditched and there should be a another mounting point on the motherboard along the axis of the card that utilizes the entire structure of the card.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I think its time the PCIE slot for the graphics card and the graphics card itself is rethought and goes under a reversion so GPUs don't succumb to the force of gravity and you can actually move a PC without it ripping the GPU from the motherboard. That stupid little latch should be ditched and there should be a another mounting point on the motherboard along the axis of the card that utilizes the entire structure of the card.
On that subject, the PC as it is, needs a rethink and a redesign. BTX was a failure due to obvious reasons, but we're getting to a point where the ATX standard is getting too long in the tooth, but it's going to take some major industry co-operation to come up with a new standards that can replace it.
We have so many interfaces now that the ATX standard was never meant for and it's kind of hampering the good old PC.
M.2 is a great example of a standard that works great in something like a notebook, but less so on a desktop, as it either eats up space where other interfaces used to be, or it often blocks the other interfaces from being used, if a heatsink is attached to the NVMe drive.
We're using kind of cobbled together connectors for the front panel ports on cases and poorly shielded cables in some instances, which really shouldn't be the case, but has happened due to lack of standards to a degree.
The ATX PSU form factor is not really fit for purpose any longer either, but once again, we make do and the manufacturers work around it with custom solutions, which is far from ideal.
I can't see things changing any time soon, as even Intel's 12V only initiative was shot down by the board makers, although I'm not sure how much sense it makes for DIY PCs.

D

Deleted member 24505

On that subject, the PC as it is, needs a rethink and a redesign. BTX was a failure due to obvious reasons, but we're getting to a point where the ATX standard is getting too long in the tooth, but it's going to take some major industry co-operation to come up with a new standards that can replace it.
We have so many interfaces now that the ATX standard was never meant for and it's kind of hampering the good old PC.
M.2 is a great example of a standard that works great in something like a notebook, but less so on a desktop, as it either eats up space where other interfaces used to be, or it often blocks the other interfaces from being used, if a heatsink is attached to the NVMe drive.
We're using kind of cobbled together connectors for the front panel ports on cases and poorly shielded cables in some instances, which really shouldn't be the case, but has happened due to lack of standards to a degree.
The ATX PSU form factor is not really fit for purpose any longer either, but once again, we make do and the manufacturers work around it with custom solutions, which is far from ideal.
I can't see things changing any time soon, as even Intel's 12V only initiative was shot down by the board makers, although I'm not sure how much sense it makes for DIY PCs.

They could put NVME on the back of the board. iirc there might even be a board that has done it.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
They could put NVME on the back of the board. iirc there might even be a board that has done it.
Some mini-ITX board does that, but it's hard to cool faster drives placed on the back, unless you use a really fat thermal pad :p

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
D

Deleted member 24505

Depends on how much metal there is behind the board.

Mine is pretty clear behind the board. I reckon they could have as little metal as possible for the mount, just enough to screw board too. I know lots have a big space now for removing or replacing the cooler.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Mine is pretty clear behind the board. I reckon they could have as little metal as possible for the mount, just enough to screw board too. I know lots have a big space now for removing or replacing the cooler.
The problem is that there's no industry standard for placement of the M.2 slots, so unless everyone can agree on the same placement area, it's not really going to work.
This is I guess part of the reason why Asus did their DIMM.2 and have stacked M.2 slots on their mini-ITX boards. The latter seems to be far from ideal in terms of cooling though.

LOL, could not agree more, see long winded discussion with another Scandinavian that started with ATX12VO in TPU's PS5 PSU review.

I'm not a product or mechanical designer but I appreciate good design and ATX is just bad. BTX is a bit before my time to have any meaningful context but yeah, ATX is like one step away from being held together with bail wire and chewing gum. It really is time for clean slate form factor design or at the very least inject some new design ideas into cases and motherboards.

D

Deleted member 24505

Maybe we need a TPU design a new standard thread for shits and giggles.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
This lineup is much more interesting than what they had for Z590. I guess it goes to show how much of an afterthought RKL was in both Intel's and board vendors' eyes.
  • They brought back the Strix-G, I guess mATX isn't quite completely dead yet. Last gen relegated the Strix-G to B560 (lmao). No Gene though, sadly, even on such a big launch, and no PCIe slot release button on Strix-G. 10 USB ports, too.
  • ITX board looks like it finally gets both Clear CMOS and BIOS Flashback on the rear I/O, albeit not the nice buttons and no POST code (Strix I guess). And more USB ports than Z590.
The two ITX boards so far both prove that form factor is just a lame excuse to cut down on rear I/O. But HOLY HELL that Strix ITX board is not going to like bigger air coolers. I'm not gonna pretend like I know what's going on in lowest layer below the audio layer. I take that back, maybe this board does need proper OC buttons and a rear IO POST code for the price it's probably gonna command.

System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS APU
Motherboard BareBones Mini PC MB
Cooling Mini PC Cooling
Memory Crucial 32GB 4800MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 680M 8GB IGPU
Storage Crucial 500GB M.2 SSD + 2TB Ext HDD
Display(s) Sony 4K Bravia X85J 43Inch TV 120Hz
Case Beelink Mini PC Chassis
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply 120w Power Brick
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
Give me that white one!! I don't need it, I want IT!!

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
This lineup is much more interesting than what they had for Z590. I guess it goes to show how much of an afterthought RKL was in both Intel's and board vendors' eyes.
  • They brought back the Strix-G, I guess mATX isn't quite completely dead yet. Last gen relegated the Strix-G to B560 (lmao). No Gene though, sadly, even on such a big launch, and no PCIe slot release button on Strix-G. 10 USB ports, too.
  • ITX board looks like it finally gets both Clear CMOS and BIOS Flashback on the rear I/O, albeit not the nice buttons and no POST code (Strix I guess). And more USB ports than Z590.
The two ITX boards so far both prove that form factor is just a lame excuse to cut down on rear I/O. But HOLY HELL that Strix ITX board is not going to like bigger air coolers. I'm not gonna pretend like I know what's going on in lowest layer below the audio layer. I take that back, maybe this board does need proper OC buttons and a rear IO POST code for the price it's probably gonna command.

The mini-ITX Strix might be $440.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Nice, asus gives mounting plate options so older back plates can be used instead of shopping for a new one for 1700 holes :cool:
No other manufactures are doing it that I've seen so far.
1635432248945.png

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Since seeing this there really is no good reason to change mounting hole pattern

z690 chips are not any bigger than 2066 socket chips which by the way have a much better cooler mount on it no back plate nonsense lol

Maybe we need a TPU design a new standard thread for shits and giggles.
It would be interesting do some concept renders just visually see what is possible. Getting people to show interest and to actually want something better has to be the first step in actually getting something better.

System Name Office / HP Prodesk 490 G3 MT (ex-office)
Processor Intel 13700 (90° limit) / Intel i7-6700
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming H770 Pro / HP 805F H170
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S / Stock
Memory G. Skill Trident XMP 2x16gb DDR5 6400MHz cl32 / Samsung 2x8gb 2133MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3060 Ti Dual OC GDDR6X / Zotac GTX 1650 GDDR6 OC
Storage Samsung 2tb 980 PRO MZ / Samsung SSD 1TB 860 EVO + WD blue HDD 1TB (WD10EZEX)
Display(s) Eizo FlexScan EV2455 - 1920x1200 / Panasonic TX-32LS490E 32'' LED 1920x1080
Case Nanoxia Deep Silence 8 Pro / HP microtower
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX750 / OEM 300W bronze
Mouse MS cheap wired / Logitech cheap wired m90
Keyboard MS cheap wired / HP cheap wired
Software W11 / W7 Pro ->10 Pro
This Q-release button should be the main differentiation between Strix-F and Prime-A boards.

Jaz2Cents uploaded a video yesterday where he has the Maximus Hero in his hand already and was surprised how well it works and the rest is all of our points - why didn't they include that already years ago ^^