• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple Announces Self Service Repair

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Apple announcing Self Repair is Apple creating a problem and only offering a solution when they're forced to.
This. So. Very. Much. This. Giving apple credit for something is like giving credit to the person holding your arm and slapping you in the face with it for being willing to stop if you pay them to do so.
Apple really thinks and acts like its above the law, a trait we find, curiously, at nearly every new internet-based platform economy company. Uber, Google, FB, the list is long.
Yep. MS was by no means the first, but the first to do it at a massive scale, and it seems to have set the precedent for everyone else. On the other hand, MS got slapped (reasonably hard) for doing so across serveral continents, and have since then done reasonably well (for a corporation, that is) in coming off as somewhat fair. They've even relented on the closed-down Store, are distributing their games across multiple platforms, and more.

The moral of the story: large-scale government action actually works against this.
Exactly, like LR said, you can't buy the same screen directly from AUO, you have to buy it from Apple.
Yep. I'm guessing they have some sort of authentication system (could be serial number based, could be a QR code on the part, whatever) to verify that the parts are bought from them. Hopefully this will be hackable, but ... yeah, this is still fundamentally monopolistic.

In a way, you have to give Apple some credit for their creativity. It takes some ingenuity to be famous for being anti-right to repair, and then come up with an initiative that seems like you've turned around at first glance, is likely to garner a lot of positive attention in that direction, yet still continues to maintain (or even strengthen, depending on their authentication systems) their monopolistic grasp of their customers' products.

D

Deleted member 24505

Well it's a start at least. It would be great if you could actually buy genuine apple parts from them. I usually buy part from broken for parts phones off ebay to repair mine and my partners phones. One of the worst things for Apple phones is aftermarket screens. Some of them are really atrocious. I would be happy if it was possible to get genuine Apple batteries too.
You can got to the apple store, and they will even repair if your phone has the warranty void or if it has been opened before. IMO well done Apple, now it's time for samsung to start selling genuine parts direct.

System Name Roxy
Processor i7 5930K @ 4.5GHz (167x27 1.35V)
Motherboard X99-A/USB3.1
Cooling Barrow Infinity Mirror, EK 45x420mm, EK X-Res w 10W DDC
Memory 2x16GB Patriot Viper 3600 @3333 16-20-20-38
Video Card(s) XFX 5700 XT Thicc III Ultra
Storage Sabrent Rocket 2TB, 4TB WD Mechanical
Display(s) Acer XZ321Q (144Mhz Freesync Curved 32" 1080p)
Case Modded Cosmos-S Red, Tempered Glass Window, Full Frontal Mesh, Black interior
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM 850x White
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire TK
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/e5uz5f
System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
Yep. I'm guessing they have some sort of authentication system (could be serial number based, could be a QR code on the part, whatever) to verify that the parts are bought from them. Hopefully this will be hackable, but ... yeah, this is still fundamentally monopolistic.
I really doubt this. Apple had already been engaging in that sort of anti-competitive behavior for years (Face ID, Touch ID, batteries). To me this seems like a 180 and a big win for right to repair.

I’m not applauding Apple and, as someone who has been repairing Apple products for almost two decades, not naive about their practices.

This is a huge win for right to repair. If Apple is leading the way, as overpriced as it might be, then the rest of the market will follow suit.

If people don’t see how being able to use third-party screen replacements that previously broke essential features is now an option as a benefit, that’s on them. If people don’t see how providing service manuals and proprietary screw drivers that had to be custom made by third-parties previously as a benefit, well, good luck with your repairs.

System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
I really doubt this. Apple had already been engaging in that sort of anti-competitive behavior for years (Face ID, Touch ID, batteries). To me this seems like a 180 and a big win for right to repair.
Then you need to read more closely.

To ensure a customer can safely perform a repair, it's important they first review the Repair Manual. Then a customer will place an order for the Apple genuine parts and tools using the Apple Self Service Repair Online Store.
(my emphasis)
Given that Apple already has software locks on many hardware replacements, there is zero reason to expect this to mean a wholesale removal of these. The wording here strongly indicates that Apple envisions this process to only include parts purchased directly from them.

There are also blatant lies such as this gem:
By designing products for durability, longevity, and increased repairability, customers enjoy a long-lasting product that holds its value for years.
Saying iPhones or other Apple products are "design[ed] for (...) increased repairability" - while being famous for making difficult if not impossible to repair products - is such blatant absurd PR spin that it just highlights how this is mainly a PR move. That Apple has been spending millions and millions on lobbying against Right to Repair legislation underscores this.

It is theoretically possible that this is indeed a drastic change in Apple's mode of operations. But a single action is wildly insufficient to prove that in the face of their previous (and ongoing!) actions opposite to this. They'll need to go much further than this to meet that standard. For example, they could publish minimum specifications for third party replacement parts, and explicitly support those in their software. They could start a certification program for third party replacement parts (and crucially, one without onerous fees). They could actually start designing their products to be repairable. Etc., etc.
I’m not applauding Apple and, as someone who has been repairing Apple products for almost two decades, not naive about their practices.

This is a huge win for right to repair. If Apple is leading the way, as overpriced as it might be, then the rest of the market will follow suit.
There's a difference between "Apple is telling us they are leading the way" and "Apple is leading the way". So far, we only have proof of the former.
If people don’t see how being able to use third-party screen replacements that previously broke essential features is now an option as a benefit, that’s on them. If people don’t see how providing service manuals and proprietary screw drivers that had to be custom made by third-parties previously as a benefit, well, good luck with your repairs.
There is nothing in this statement indicating that third-party screen replacements are now possible, unless those parts use official spare parts purhcased through this portal. The two other are good, though access to their triwing screwdrivers has been plentiful for years. Manuals are great though - hopefully they will be published openly for anyone to download, with no onerous EULA etc. Even better, they could publish circuit diagrams for board-level repairs. No, nobody else is doing this either, but it really should start happening. If they want to start leading the way, great - go for it. I'll be holding off on seeing this as anything more than PR until then.

D

Deleted member 24505

I have repaired a few phones myself. Iphones are not too bad. Samsungs are near impossible, so they more designed it to be non repairable. Iphones are repairable, and why would you not buy genuine Apple parts? i have bought tons of screens for iphones, and most of them are utter shit. Now i buy genuine used screens only as after market ones are fucking bin fodder nothing else. I paid £35 for a A grade flawless un marked used genuine Apple screen for my iphone 7 plus. there is not any after market screen made that will even come close to the quality of this for the price. I would even buy genuine if the prices where not too bad.

I doubt very much Samsung with even go as far as Apple have, for most samsungs you need to replace the whole frame/screen, all i can say is fuck that. At least iphone screens are actually separately replaceable.

Why is no-one asking the hard question - why does the first graphic have a box of sand on the desk?

System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
Then you need to read more closely.

(my emphasis)
Given that Apple already has software locks on many hardware replacements, there is zero reason to expect this to mean a wholesale removal of these. The wording here strongly indicates that Apple envisions this process to only include parts purchased directly from them.

There are also blatant lies such as this gem:

Saying iPhones or other Apple products are "design[ed] for (...) increased repairability" - while being famous for making difficult if not impossible to repair products - is such blatant absurd PR spin that it just highlights how this is mainly a PR move. That Apple has been spending millions and millions on lobbying against Right to Repair legislation underscores this.

It is theoretically possible that this is indeed a drastic change in Apple's mode of operations. But a single action is wildly insufficient to prove that in the face of their previous (and ongoing!) actions opposite to this. They'll need to go much further than this to meet that standard. For example, they could publish minimum specifications for third party replacement parts, and explicitly support those in their software. They could start a certification program for third party replacement parts (and crucially, one without onerous fees). They could actually start designing their products to be repairable. Etc., etc.

There's a difference between "Apple is telling us they are leading the way" and "Apple is leading the way". So far, we only have proof of the former.

There is nothing in this statement indicating that third-party screen replacements are now possible, unless those parts use official spare parts purhcased through this portal. The two other are good, though access to their triwing screwdrivers has been plentiful for years. Manuals are great though - hopefully they will be published openly for anyone to download, with no onerous EULA etc. Even better, they could publish circuit diagrams for board-level repairs. No, nobody else is doing this either, but it really should start happening. If they want to start leading the way, great - go for it. I'll be holding off on seeing this as anything more than PR until then.
I generally really appreciate your posts but you use wayyyyyy too many words and haven’t read the thread:

derp

Dang y’all are so negative

I don’t think there are any manufacturers that sell replacement parts with a repair manual

They got rid of the FaceTime breaking screen replacement problem (which wasn’t an issue for authorized repair people). Not saying it wasn’t a bad look, but can you imagine a company like Apple releasing repair kits that would break features? Unbelievable.

There’s no need for an NDA — ifixit has existed for years

Great to see a company like Apple not just embrace but lean in to right to repair. Hopefully we see less solder and glue in future products.
They’re getting rid of the software hack they offered to certified repair people and allowing third-party screens that maintain Face ID without the need for desoldering their microcontroller.

Again, I have no respect for Apple’s history on this issue. Please stop treating me like a shill.

Last edited:
System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
I generally really appreciate your posts but you use wayyyyyy too many words and haven’t read the thread:

They’re getting rid of the software hack they offered to certified repair people and allowing third-party screens that maintain Face ID without the need for desoldering their microcontroller.

Again, I have no respect for Apple’s history on this issue. Please stop treating me like a shill.
I'm not treating you like a shill, and I'm well aware that they've promised a dotware update to bypass the face ID idiocy, but you're overlooking the fact that the face ID thing is only the last in a long line of similar software locks for Apple. That they implemented a brand new one a month or two before launching this? That speaks to their intentions. Sure, there might be a lack of internal communication, and this might be an actual, meaningful change. But to know that we need far more tangible proof than this. This is a good first step, but not even close to sufficient.

I have repaired a few phones myself. Iphones are not too bad. Samsungs are near impossible, so they more designed it to be non repairable. Iphones are repairable, and why would you not buy genuine Apple parts? i have bought tons of screens for iphones, and most of them are utter shit. Now i buy genuine used screens only as after market ones are fucking bin fodder nothing else. I paid £35 for a A grade flawless un marked used genuine Apple screen for my iphone 7 plus. there is not any after market screen made that will even come close to the quality of this for the price. I would even buy genuine if the prices where not too bad.

I doubt very much Samsung with even go as far as Apple have, for most samsungs you need to replace the whole frame/screen, all i can say is fuck that. At least iphone screens are actually separately replaceable.
Sure, there are plenty of crap third part screens. But do you think Apple will be selling theirs for $35? I would guess something like $200+ for the older models and $400+ for the OLEDs. And there is no indication in this that their software will allow for the use of used or third party provided original spares - they're quite clear about buying the parts from their store. Until proven otherwise, I am expecting this software to somehow require a proof of purchase or other authentication for the parts used. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, obviously, but I don't expect it, no.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
Can we be honest about the fact that only the last picture is legitimate? The vast majority want the "right" for someone else to fix their phone for cheaper than what Apple charges, or claims that you need another one(forced to upgrade).

Besides the assumed risk, is there a difference between the owner or or a third party repairing the product?

Hint: There isn't.

System Name 1. Glasshouse 2. Odin OneEye
Processor 1. Ryzen 9 5900X (manual PBO) 2. Ryzen 9 7900X
Motherboard 1. MSI x570 Tomahawk wifi 2. Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 670E
Cooling 1. Noctua NH D15 Chromax Black 2. Custom Loop 3x360mm (60mm) rads & T30 fans/Aquacomputer NEXT w/b
Memory 1. G Skill Neo 16GBx4 (3600MHz 16/16/16/36) 2. Kingston Fury 16GBx2 DDR5 CL36
Video Card(s) 1. Asus Strix Vega 64 2. Powercolor Liquid Devil 7900XTX
Storage 1. Corsair Force MP600 (1TB) & Sabrent Rocket 4 (2TB) 2. Kingston 3000 (1TB) and Hynix p41 (2TB)
Display(s) 1. Samsung U28E590 10bit 4K@60Hz 2. LG C2 42 inch 10bit 4K@120Hz
Case 1. Corsair Crystal 570X White 2. Cooler Master HAF 700 EVO
Audio Device(s) 1. Creative Speakers 2. Built in LG monitor speakers
Power Supply 1. Corsair RM850x 2. Superflower Titanium 1600W
Mouse 1. Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro (grey) 2. Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro (black)
Keyboard Leopold High End Mechanical
Software Windows 11
Self repair for Apple means 'Authorised Self Repair Kits'. The self repair kit you have to buy from Apple.

D

Deleted member 24505

I'm not treating you like a shill, and I'm well aware that they've promised a dotware update to bypass the face ID idiocy, but you're overlooking the fact that the face ID thing is only the last in a long line of similar software locks for Apple. That they implemented a brand new one a month or two before launching this? That speaks to their intentions. Sure, there might be a lack of internal communication, and this might be an actual, meaningful change. But to know that we need far more tangible proof than this. This is a good first step, but not even close to sufficient.

Sure, there are plenty of crap third part screens. But do you think Apple will be selling theirs for $35? I would guess something like $200+ for the older models and $400+ for the OLEDs. And there is no indication in this that their software will allow for the use of used or third party provided original spares - they're quite clear about buying the parts from their store. Until proven otherwise, I am expecting this software to somehow require a proof of purchase or other authentication for the parts used. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, obviously, but I don't expect it, no.

on older iphones you can stick any shitty screen on it and it will(probably) work. i think newer ones like 10+ have some sort of authenticity check. Imo you are far better off buying a genuine screen even at their prices rather than a shitty after market turd. If you don't want to do that then stick with the shitty after market ones. If you can afford a iphone 11/12/13 then you can afford a genuine repair, unless of course your one of the idiots paying $/£50 a month just to have a flash phone, then you probably can't afford the genuine repair. If you bought a $50k Mercedes new, you wouldn't take it to some shitty back street garage to get serviced would you.

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
on older iphones you can stick any shitty screen on it and it will(probably) work. i think newer ones like 10+ have some sort of authenticity check. Imo you are far better off buying a genuine screen even at their prices rather than a shitty after market turd. If you don't want to do that then stick with the shitty after market ones. If you can afford a iphone 11/12/13 then you can afford a genuine repair, unless of course your one of the idiots paying $/£50 a month just to have a flash phone, then you probably can't afford the genuine repair. If you bought a $50k Mercedes new, you wouldn't take it to some shitty back street garage to get serviced would you.
A) Just because there are lots of bad third party replacement parts does not mean that they're all bad (and Apple could make this much easier by releasing specs for parts)
B) Shitting all over third party repair shops like you're doing here is kind of... uhm, weird, given the context of this thread, no? There are tons of highly skilled and very serious people out there doing repairs. Painting them as equivalent to "back street garages" (and even presenting that as a bad thing itself) is rather absurd.
C) with the software locks, you literally cannot "stick any shitty screen on it and it have it (probably) work". That is kind of the point, no?
D) you're not saying this, but it kind of follows from your reasoning: is it in your view a positive action on Apple's part to not have retroactively implemented software locks on replacement parts for older phones? (If not, what is the relevance when they've had these for several years now?)

Either you are making bad-faith arguments that you don't actually agree with, you haven't thought this through, or you are just wildly inconsistent. Either way, what you're saying doesn't add up. Low quality replacement parts is not an argument for banning them, but for making better options available. Bad repair shops is not an argument for mandating first party repair, but for providing tools, manuals and training. That someone has bought an expensive thing does not somehow remove their right to choose where to have it serviced. And remember: Apple's stance up until this (and until I see conclusive proof otherwise, likely still), has been bans, mandates and monopolies - the explicit removal of choice.

D

Deleted member 24505

A) Just because there are lots of bad third party replacement parts does not mean that they're all bad (and Apple could make this much easier by releasing specs for parts)
B) Shitting all over third party repair shops like you're doing here is kind of... uhm, weird, given the context of this thread, no? There are tons of highly skilled and very serious people out there doing repairs. Painting them as equivalent to "back street garages" (and even presenting that as a bad thing itself) is rather absurd.
C) with the software locks, you literally cannot "stick any shitty screen on it and it have it (probably) work". That is kind of the point, no?
D) you're not saying this, but it kind of follows from your reasoning: is it in your view a positive action on Apple's part to not have retroactively implemented software locks on replacement parts for older phones? (If not, what is the relevance when they've had these for several years now?)

Either you are making bad-faith arguments that you don't actually agree with, you haven't thought this through, or you are just wildly inconsistent. Either way, what you're saying doesn't add up. Low quality replacement parts is not an argument for banning them, but for making better options available. Bad repair shops is not an argument for mandating first party repair, but for providing tools, manuals and training. That someone has bought an expensive thing does not somehow remove their right to choose where to have it serviced. And remember: Apple's stance up until this (and until I see conclusive proof otherwise, likely still), has been bans, mandates and monopolies - the explicit removal of choice.

Most after market screens fo iphones i have come across are rubbish. i don't think i have ever seen one that come close to the quality of Apple screens. Do you repair iphones? how many screens have you seen or changed? I am basing my opinion on experience of the screens i have seen. Maybe if they do release specs for parts it might help, but remember, there are a lot of shady b&stards out there that just want to make as much money as possible by passing off shitty parts.

Yes there are probably some good phone repair shops. Most of the ones in my city are run by foreigners of some kind, and from my experience and from the fact they are trying to make as much money as possible, will buy the cheapest after market parts they can get. Unless it is a Certified Apple repair store, in effect it is a back street garage.

I have tried a few different screens on iphones, not on a 11/12/13 though which is why i made the point. on anything before a 11 as far as i know, you can stick any shitty screen on it and it will work, and i put probably because some are really awfully crappy. on newer iphones they probably do have screen locks as i stated.

What better options for parts? force repair shops to buy from certain suppliers thereby making the quality guaranteed? yeah right as if that would work.

Also your training comment again, you think some little phone repair shop is gonna pay hundreds, possibly thousand to train one staff member who does their phone repairs, yeah right.

People can get their stuff repaired where ever they like. If you spend $1000 on a phone, are you gonna take it to a possibly dodgy little phone shop and risk it getting damaged? up to you i guess, but like i said, if you can afford the $1000 phone, you can afford to pay Apple for a screen repair, knowing it will still be water tight( it would not from a after market repair shop, i have checked)

It is positive that they have allowed it as i said in an earlier post, which you seemingly never read.

Maybe they didn't want people repairing them from a secretive position or because of not wanting to release specs and diagrams, i don't know.

Maybe you need to report my posts to your Apple contact or something, i seem to have upset you enough to be near making personal attacks on me. I don't really give a shit about what you think. I posted my comments on my thoughts on Apples new position on repairs. They make sense to me, don't give a shit if you like them or agree with them or not.

Also like i said, iphones ARE repairable, even at home given the right tools. Samsung phones are not ( and i have tried, they are far harder to get into, specially with glass backs, and strongly glued down batteries). it is a big leap for Apple which i agree with, and I agree with selling kits with genuine parts. If you want a crappy screen to replace your broken one, take it to a little phone shop. If not buy a genuine repair kit, or take it to their Apple store to get done, it's your choice.

Why would Apple iphones have 2 screws and a pretty easily removable back/screen if they did not intend them to be (user) serviceable? Most other big brand phones don't and are very difficult to get into.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
Most after market screens fo iphones i have come across are rubbish. i don't think i have ever seen one that come close to the quality of Apple screens. Do you repair iphones? how many screens have you seen or changed? I am basing my opinion on experience of the screens i have seen. Maybe if they do release specs for parts it might help, but remember, there are a lot of shady b&stards out there that just want to make as much money as possible by passing off shitty parts.

Yes there are probably some good phone repair shops. Most of the ones in my city are run by foreigners of some kind, and from my experience and from the fact they are trying to make as much money as possible, will buy the cheapest after market parts they can get. Unless it is a Certified Apple repair store, in effect it is a back street garage.

I have tried a few different screens on iphones, not on a 11/12/13 though which is why i made the point. on anything before a 11 as far as i know, you can stick any shitty screen on it and it will work, and i put probably because some are really awfully crappy. on newer iphones they probably do have screen locks as i stated.

What better options for parts? force repair shops to buy from certain suppliers thereby making the quality guaranteed? yeah right as if that would work.

Also your training comment again, you think some little phone repair shop is gonna pay hundreds, possibly thousand to train one staff member who does their phone repairs, yeah right.

People can get their stuff repaired where ever they like. If you spend $1000 on a phone, are you gonna take it to a possibly dodgy little phone shop and risk it getting damaged? up to you i guess, but like i said, if you can afford the $1000 phone, you can afford to pay Apple for a screen repair, knowing it will still be water tight( it would not from a after market repair shop, i have checked)

It is positive that they have allowed it as i said in an earlier post, which you seemingly never read.

Maybe they didn't want people repairing them from a secretive position or because of not wanting to release specs and diagrams, i don't know.

Maybe you need to report my posts to your Apple contact or something, i seem to have upset you enough to be near making personal attacks on me. I don't really give a shit about what you think. I posted my comments on my thoughts on Apples new position on repairs. They make sense to me, don't give a shit if you like them or agree with them or not.
I mean... You are presenting arguments in a thread on a forum. Forums are for having discussions, right? Yet when the flaws in your arguments are pointed out you take that as a personal attack? Sorry, but that doesn't make sense to me. Neither does the suggestion that I'm somehow an Apple shill when all I've been doing in this thread is pointing out that this seems like a PR move more than anything else, and that we need to see some follow-through before they deserve any credit? Again: does not compute.

I haven't worked with phone repair directly, but having sold phones for quite a few years I'm quite familiar with both the shitty quality of many replacement parts as well as the amount of shitty repairs done. But as I said: none of this is an argument against opening up for more third party repair. Quite the opposite! Why do we have shitty third party screens? Because Apple haven't made first party ones available to repair shops, nor have they made specs available so that third parties can make good alternatives (and expecting random spare parts suppliers to have the R&D budget to even discover the necessary specs to match an iPhone display is obviously unreasonable). That leaves the market wide open to the profiteering garbage vendors. The same goes for not providing manuals and training: as you say, this isn't a disincentive for the unscrupulous, but it makes providing high quality services impossible. This - Apple's long standing policies and choices - is why we have the current poor state of the repair industry (in terms of Apple products, at least - it obviously bears mentioning that none of the other large players are any better). This is why people are fighting for right to repair legislation - so that they can provide high quality, reliable services to people.

The only ones wanting anyone to buy from specific suppliers here is Apple. And you're entirely right that they want to protect their designs at all costs, hence the lack of manuals and schematics. The problem is that this argument is pure BS, and releasing these would be no real threat whatsoever, but it's a convenient argument for them.

Now they are making themselves look good by seemingly changing. Providing manuals is great, providing first party parts and tools is good. But it's a start, at best. It's still insufficient. We still need schematics for advanced repairs, wide availability of parts (and not just major ones), unrestricted access to necessary service software and tools, a complete removal of all software locks standing in the way of repair, and more. That's all I've been saying. If they have truly changed, they need to demonstrate that over time.

D

Deleted member 24505

I mean... You are presenting arguments in a thread on a forum. Forums are for having discussions, right? Yet when the flaws in your arguments are pointed out you take that as a personal attack? Sorry, but that doesn't make sense to me. Neither does the suggestion that I'm somehow an Apple shill when all I've been doing in this thread is pointing out that this seems like a PR move more than anything else, and that we need to see some follow-through before they deserve any credit? Again: does not compute.

I haven't worked with phone repair directly, but having sold phones for quite a few years I'm quite familiar with both the shitty quality of many replacement parts as well as the amount of shitty repairs done. But as I said: none of this is an argument against opening up for more third party repair. Quite the opposite! Why do we have shitty third party screens? Because Apple haven't made first party ones available to repair shops, nor have they made specs available so that third parties can make good alternatives (and expecting random spare parts suppliers to have the R&D budget to even discover the necessary specs to match an iPhone display is obviously unreasonable). That leaves the market wide open to the profiteering garbage vendors. The same goes for not providing manuals and training: as you say, this isn't a disincentive for the unscrupulous, but it makes providing high quality services impossible. This - Apple's long standing policies and choices - is why we have the current poor state of the repair industry (in terms of Apple products, at least - it obviously bears mentioning that none of the other large players are any better). This is why people are fighting for right to repair legislation - so that they can provide high quality, reliable services to people.

The only ones wanting anyone to buy from specific suppliers here is Apple. And you're entirely right that they want to protect their designs at all costs, hence the lack of manuals and schematics. The problem is that this argument is pure BS, and releasing these would be no real threat whatsoever, but it's a convenient argument for them.

Now they are making themselves look good by seemingly changing. Providing manuals is great, providing first party parts and tools is good. But it's a start, at best. It's still insufficient. We still need schematics for advanced repairs, wide availability of parts (and not just major ones), unrestricted access to necessary service software and tools, a complete removal of all software locks standing in the way of repair, and more. That's all I've been saying. If they have truly changed, they need to demonstrate that over time.

What flaws? a lot of after market iphone parts are shit FACT. As for repair manuals, have you looked at ifixit? i have used it a lot to learn how to repair phones, no need for manuals if it's just switching parts. If you have never repaired a iphone, you don't know jack about the quality of screens. buy a $20 iphone screen. Take the screen of the same phone the screens for, compare them. on our iphone 7 plus, the IC for the screen is thicker than the Apple one, same for all of them, so you end up with a white spot the screen where the thicker IC presses on the back of the screen. Cheaper iphone part will never change.

I have done Iphone repairs, and have only ever come across crappy screens. The only screens worth putting on are Apple ones. and imo that has nothing to do with specs. I bet lots of chinese factorys have stripped iphones to reverse engineer them. It's about costs, nothing else, a genuine screen might be $200 a after market one $20-50, so some people will buy these. Even if Apple did release their genuine screens for sale seperatly, they ain't gonna be $50 or even $100. so as i said comes down to cost, not quality.

The manufacturers want people to buy new phones every year, that is why they don't want them repairable. I bet most high end Apple and Samsung owners have a new model every year, so they ain't gonna be getting them repaired.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
What flaws?
The ones where I pointed out that your objections in no way work as arguments against more openly providing manuals, specs, parts, tools and more?
a lot of after market iphone parts are shit FACT.
Have I said anything even remotely to the contrary? I would appreciate if you argued against what I have actually said.
As for repair manuals, have you looked at ifixit? i have used it a lot to learn how to repair phones, no need for manuals if it's just switching parts.
Ah, yes, the existence of iFixit - an organization that spends a lot of its resources fighting for right to repair legislation requiring the publication of repair manuals - is somehow an argument against the obligation of companies to provide repair manuals? Yeah, sorry, that does not add up. iFixit does a fantastic job, but the ideal situation (which they would agree on) would be if they were no longer needed and thus could cease operations. The only reason for their existence is the shitty state of current device repairability. Sadly they are deeply necessary still, and the actions Apple are announcing here won't change that much.
If you have never repaired a iphone, you don't know jack about the quality of screens. buy a $20 iphone screen.
But I didn't say that, did I? I said I haven't worked repairing phones. I have been repairing phones for myself, my friends and family for the better part of a decade. I've also seen dozens upon dozens of shitty replacement screens on customers' phones. I'm well aware of how shitty the quality of third party replacement screens can be.
Take the screen of the same phone the screens for, compare them. on our iphone 7 plus, the IC for the screen is thicker than the Apple one, same for all of them, so you end up with a white spot the screen where the thicker IC presses on the back of the screen. Cheaper iphone part will never change.
But again: this is in no way an argument for mandating first-party replacement screens! That doesn't help! That is the current situation, after all, and it hasn't done anything at all towards eradicating shitty copies. Not whatsoever. The only effective thing towards doing that is making it easier to produce good alternatives, through releasing specifications and requirements. That way you could get a competitive market of non-trashy replacement screens.
I have done Iphone repairs, and have only ever come across crappy screens. The only screens worth putting on are Apple ones. and imo that has nothing to do with specs. I bet lots of chinese factorys have stripped iphones to reverse engineer them. It's about costs, nothing else, a genuine screen might be $200 a after market one $20-50, so some people will buy these. Even if Apple did release their genuine screens for sale seperatly, they ain't gonna be $50 or even $100. so as i said comes down to cost, not quality.
I'm perfectly aware of that. I did say earlier in this thread that I expect first-party screens to be $200-400, didn't I? However, you're missing the point: the current situation is that we have official service partners with genuine parts, and we have shitty, cheap replacements at $20-50 with varying but overall crap quality. Any R&D money the manufacturers between these screens have is spent on ensuring they work, not that they are good. Apple releasing the necessary documentation could open the door for good replacement screens at an in-between price. As good as Apple's? That's quite unlikely. But they could manage good color gamuts, decent accuracy, etc.
The manufacturers want people to buy new phones every year, that is why they don't want them repairable. I bet most high end Apple and Samsung owners have a new model every year, so they ain't gonna be getting them repaired.
Which is exactly why we need right to repair legislation forcing their hands, and why this move - until proven otherwise - seems like a way of trying to dodge this. Apple has been spending millions and millions lobbying against right to repair, after all. This points in the direction of good changes in their stance, but it's far too early to conclude.

D

Deleted member 24505

The ones where I pointed out that your objections in no way work as arguments against more openly providing manuals, specs, parts, tools and more?

Have I said anything even remotely to the contrary? I would appreciate if you argued against what I have actually said.

Ah, yes, the existence of iFixit - an organization that spends a lot of its resources fighting for right to repair legislation requiring the publication of repair manuals - is somehow an argument against the obligation of companies to provide repair manuals? Yeah, sorry, that does not add up. iFixit does a fantastic job, but the ideal situation (which they would agree on) would be if they were no longer needed and thus could cease operations. The only reason for their existence is the shitty state of current device repairability. Sadly they are deeply necessary still, and the actions Apple are announcing here won't change that much.

But I didn't say that, did I? I said I haven't worked repairing phones. I have been repairing phones for myself, my friends and family for the better part of a decade. I've also seen dozens upon dozens of shitty replacement screens on customers' phones. I'm well aware of how shitty the quality of third party replacement screens can be.

But again: this is in no way an argument for mandating first-party replacement screens! That doesn't help! That is the current situation, after all, and it hasn't done anything at all towards eradicating shitty copies. Not whatsoever. The only effective thing towards doing that is making it easier to produce good alternatives, through releasing specifications and requirements. That way you could get a competitive market of non-trashy replacement screens.

I'm perfectly aware of that. I did say earlier in this thread that I expect first-party screens to be $200-400, didn't I? However, you're missing the point: the current situation is that we have official service partners with genuine parts, and we have shitty, cheap replacements at $20-50 with varying but overall crap quality. Any R&D money the manufacturers between these screens have is spent on ensuring they work, not that they are good. Apple releasing the necessary documentation could open the door for good replacement screens at an in-between price. As good as Apple's? That's quite unlikely. But they could manage good color gamuts, decent accuracy, etc.

Which is exactly why we need right to repair legislation forcing their hands, and why this move - until proven otherwise - seems like a way of trying to dodge this. Apple has been spending millions and millions lobbying against right to repair, after all. This points in the direction of good changes in their stance, but it's far too early to conclude.

Why the fuck are you on my case? what is your problem? just ignore me if i fucking bother you so much you cock. Don't bother replying either, i'm ignoring you again. Now i know why i did so previously. jesus some fucking people

D

Deleted member 215115

Some people just feel the need to have the last word all the time. I'm so glad that's not me anymore.

On topic: More repairs = more better. Poor people who can't afford genuine Apple parts should not own iPhones in the first place or should stick to the second hand market. Naturally, iPhone owners have never been concerned about repairs and other such nonsense. A solution to all the screens drama: just don't drop your phone, you morons. How people still drop their phones in 2021 is beyond me.

Some people just feel the need to have the last word all the time. I'm so glad that's not me anymore.

On topic: More repairs = more better. Poor people who can't afford genuine Apple parts should not own iPhones in the first place or should stick to the second hand market. Naturally, iPhone owners have never been concerned about repairs and other such nonsense. A solution to all the screens drama: just don't drop your phone, you morons. How people still drop their phones in 2021 is beyond me.

I dropped my pixel 4 a week after getting it, fell out of my shorts pocket getting out of the car. Slippery finish on it, never had the issue on my pixel 1! Such things can happen.

Anyway, the point is I took it to local repair place and it was fixed cheaply £70 iirc in a couple of days.

D

Deleted member 24505

Basically, it is a good thing Apple have done this. Imo use genuine parts, whether you get them from peolpe who break phones on Ebay or from Apple now doesn't matter. Whatever dickentar says, there are too many shitty iphone screens for sale after market, and this will not change. As i said i hve not seen any really good after market screens, hence why i buy genuine used off ebay.

Anyway i'm out of this "discussion" as i have probably already got myself into trouble from HIM picking at me for no other reason than his fucking ego.