• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

QNAP Launches Affordable 16-Port SFP28 Layer 2 Managed Switch

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Although most people use WiFi for their network connectivity these days, there are times when a wired connection is needed, say for large file transfer and backups. We've finally seen a transition onwards from Gigabit Ethernet on the humble desktop PC, but for some 2.5 Gbps isn't enough and 10 Gbps has become more and more of a viable option. However, it seems like QNAP has decided that 10 Gbps is getting a bit long in the tooth and as such, the company has introduced a 16-port SFP28 switch, for those that are craving even faster LAN speeds.

The QSW-M5216-1T has a combined switching capacity of 820 Gbps and all of the 25 Gbps SFP28 ports are backwards compatible with 10 Gbps SFP+ based network cards. There's also a single multi-gig capable RJ45 port that goes from 100 Mps to 10 Gbps, plus a 1 Gbps management port, as well as a serial port around the back for management. The QSW-M5216-1T is also capable of combining four ports into a 100 Gbps capable link, when combined with QNAP's QXG-100G2SF-E810 100 Gbps capable network card, although it retails for north of US$1,000. A more reasonable alternative would be the US$219 QXG-25G2SF-CX4 dual-port 25 Gbps card, which seems quite reasonably priced for the speeds on offer.

As this is a managed layer 2 switch, it supports features like LACP. VLAN, QoS and ICMP snooping, as well as a range of other features you'd find on this type of switch. Surprisingly, QNAP claims a 35 W max power consumption, so hopefully that also means it won't sound like a jet engine when in use. Although the QSW-M5216-1T might be intended for business use, since most people aren't going to install fibre based networks at home, the price point is quite alluring for those that would like to move up to 25 Gbps network speeds. In Taiwan, QNAP lists the QSW-M5216-1T for around US$1,385, which is less than US$87 per port, which compares favourably to similar 10 Gbps switches.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

How it is managed but still layer 2?

Besides, for that price you'd get a decent MikroTik at leats.

Last edited:
System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757

I'm not experienced enough to really get into it, but in my research QNAP is much more highly regarded versus Mikrotik or Ubiquiti (my current switch).
This QNAP is approaching affordability when you consider the use cases.

Mikrotik has 25g switches?
They have mix of 40G anf 10G. You can use 25G SFP, though.

I'm not experienced enough to really get into it, but in my research QNAP is much more highly regarded versus Mikrotik or Ubiquiti (my current switch).
Stability, flexibility and security of ROS is still way ahead of QNAP's, although I'm sure the later will catch up in a couple of years.

They have mix of 40G anf 10G. You can use 25G SFP, though.

Stability, flexibility and security of ROS is still way ahead of QNAP's, although I'm sure the later will catch up in a couple of years.
All I can find are switches with at most 2 40g uplink ports. Not 16 ports like this. Have a link?

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Not sure that's true, as QNAP has had its fair share of security issues, although that's mostly related to their NAS products.
They're still very green when it comes to network products, but seem to be really pushing out the boat and trying to win market share by having decent pricing on a lot of things.

MikroTik got 10Gx24+40Gx2 max, this one is 25Gx16, and its not bad for this price.
But I still dont like missing secodary spare power supply: I see only 1 power socket :C

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Oh good, now i just need network cards with 4x 25Gb ports, and i can finally live the dream of having ethernet faster than my entire countries internet infrastructure combined

Oh good, now i just need network cards with 4x 25Gb ports, and i can finally live the dream of having ethernet faster than my entire countries internet infrastructure combined
Lol! Where is that? In many countries FTTH is a common thing. Sadly, in other 'developed' countries majority of users are dealing with DSL...

MikroTik got 10Gx24+40Gx2 max, this one is 25Gx16, and its not bad for this price.
But I still dont like missing secodary spare power supply: I see only 1 power socket :C
The Tik can handle LAG quite well on this tier of devices, so you are not entirely without options, depending on the scenario.

Good thing is that QNAP are pushing hard for market share and this will 'wake' the rather conservative MikroTik guys.

MikroTik already have a decent OS and they are skilled in hardware design. It won't be long before we see 'modern' offerings from them.
On the other hand, I wouldn't trust QSS in a mission-critical setups. As you notably mentioned they don't even have PSU redundancy.

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
Here's the problem with this switch... It's NOT 10GBase-T. An affordable 10Gbit switch is aimed at people WITHOUT a lot of money, so what good is it buying this switch when you have to buy expensive transceivers and DACs.... Or if you want to wire your house, you're either stuck doing fiber work, or if you want to use CAT6a, you're then stuck buying a dozen 10GBase-T to SFP transceivers at $70 each. A few years ago, if you wanted 10gig in your home, it might have been cheaper to go with SFP, but that's not the case anymore.... Nothing is cheaper or easier than CAT6a when it comes to installation, 10GBase-T NICs are under $100 brand new, and around $50-$60 used, and 10GBase-T switches are basically the same price as their SFP counterparts. And whatever benefits that SFP offers are negligible, like power consumption in a home with at most two dozen connections... And don't even mention latency unless you're one of those stock traders that use computers to do thousands of trades per second.

I just really don't understand why anyone would go SFP for a whole home network... Maybe for a single room where you can use a DAC to make the connection, but for wiring up a whole home, 10GBase-T is the way to go. That's what I did so maybe I'm biased, haha.

Lol! Where is that? In many countries FTTH is a common thing. Sadly, in other 'developed' countries majority of users are dealing with DSL...

There's a lot of people in the United States who are still dealing with DSL... My aunt for example in New Hampshire, the only option is DSL where she lives, and guess what the speed is.... Think of the worst speed you can think of.... 1.5Mbps...thats the speed of my Aunt's internet, and it's their only option, and the majority of the time it doesn't reach even those speeds. Basically, only one person in the house can watch a YouTube video at a time and NOT at 1080p, and don't even think about Netflix or other streaming services.

The only other option is Hughesnet satellite, which isn't much better, yeah it's faster, but with a 25GB per month data cap, a family would be hitting that wall in a week or less. Luckily, the small town she lives in (600 people) took it upon themselves to build their own network like Chattanooga Tennessee did (publicly owned internet, what a brilliant idea.. Look up Chattanooga, they built their own network and service and basically offer symmetrical Gigabit for less than most people get 100Mbps...but of course the Telecoms bribed politicians to basically make it illegal in that state and others, and even got the government to give companies like Comcast millions to "expand service"... It's so corrupt) and now they're about a month away from launching it with plans for 500Mbps symmetrical starting at $30/month, 750Mbps for $40/month and 1000Mbps for $50/month

What's funny is, I live in the same state, just 50 minutes away, and am currently getting 1200Mbps(1.2 Gbps) for $70/month (on PCs with a Gigabit connection it's 985 Mbps, but anything connected to my 10GBase-T home network gets 1185 Mbps)...it's crazy that less than an hour separates us, but there's a 30 year difference in internet speed and technology (though that's about to change with their town owned network).

If you look it up though, there are countless towns and large areas of states out west like Idaho, Montana, etc that literally, LITERALLY have no internet offered at their location, and it's more common than you'd believe in America. That's why things like starlink are actually a pretty big deal for those people out in Idaho who still have no internet.

Last edited:
Here's the problem with this switch... It's NOT 10GBase-T. An affordable 10Gbit switch is aimed at people WITHOUT a lot of money, so what good is it buying this switch when you have to buy expensive transceivers and DACs.... Or if you want to wire your house, you're either stuck doing fiber work, or if you want to use CAT6a, you're then stuck buying a dozen 10GBase-T to SFP transceivers at $70 each. A few years ago, if you wanted 10gig in your home, it might have been cheaper to go with SFP, but that's not the case anymore.... Nothing is cheaper or easier than CAT6a when it comes to installation, 10GBase-T NICs are under $100 brand new, and around $50-$60 used, and 10GBase-T switches are basically the same price as their SFP counterparts. And whatever benefits that SFP offers are negligible, like power consumption in a home with at most two dozen connections... And don't even mention latency unless you're one of those stock traders that use computers to do thousands of trades per second.

I just really don't understand why anyone would go SFP for a whole home network... Maybe for a single room where you can use a DAC to make the connection, but for wiring up a whole home, 10GBase-T is the way to go. That's what I did so maybe I'm biased, haha.

There's a lot of people in the United States who are still dealing with DSL... My aunt for example in New Hampshire, the only option is DSL where she lives, and guess what the speed is.... Think of the worst speed you can think of.... 1.5Mbps...thats the speed of my Aunt's internet, and it's their only option, and the majority of the time it doesn't reach even those speeds. Basically, only one person in the house can watch a YouTube video at a time and NOT at 1080p, and don't even think about Netflix or other streaming services.

The only other option is Hughesnet satellite, which isn't much better, yeah it's faster, but with a 25GB per month data cap, a family would be hitting that wall in a week or less. Luckily, the small town she lives in (600 people) took it upon themselves to build their own network like Chattanooga Tennessee did (publicly owned internet, what a brilliant idea.. Look up Chattanooga, they built their own network and service and basically offer symmetrical Gigabit for less than most people get 100Mbps...but of course the Telecoms bribed politicians to basically make it illegal in that state and others, and even got the government to give companies like Comcast millions to "expand service"... It's so corrupt) and now they're about a month away from launching it with plans for 500Mbps symmetrical starting at $30/month, 750Mbps for $40/month and 1000Mbps for $50/month

What's funny is, I live in the same state, just 50 minutes away, and am currently getting 1200Mbps(1.2 Gbps) for $70/month (on PCs with a Gigabit connection it's 985 Mbps, but anything connected to my 10GBase-T home network gets 1185 Mbps)...it's crazy that less than an hour separates us, but there's a 30 year difference in internet speed and technology (though that's about to change with their town owned network).

If you look it up though, there are countless towns and large areas of states out west like Idaho, Montana, etc that literally, LITERALLY have no internet offered at their location, and it's more common than you'd believe in America. That's why things like starlink are actually a pretty big deal for those people out in Idaho who still have no internet.
No two demand scenarios are alike. There are needs and there are needs.

As for the dire internet situation, won't ol' Musky's sat internet help you? I thought it's available in the US?

Oh, and each time I hear about Chattanooga, I can't help it but to think of

Last edited:

I don't think this is a home switch, I peg it as more of a small business switch. Something for say a local media company, or photo studio or something like that.

25g is a long way from being needed in a home.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Why does "affordable" sound sarcastic?

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
It is very affordable for what it is. No sarcasm implied.
Some people can easilly afford a private jet, while others can't even afford a proper dinner for their families.

I guess we can all work on our phrasing.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Some people can easilly afford a private jet, while others can't even afford a proper dinner for their families.

I guess we can all work on our phrasing.
Or maybe you could take the content of this site in context of what the site is about?

Reactions: xvi
Processor Ryzen 3900X
Motherboard MSI X570 ACE
Cooling Custom loop
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16gb DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 3090
Storage XPG GAMMIX Gaming S70 pcie 4.0 1tb, Sabrent Rocket Raid pcie 4.0 1tb, Sabrent pcie 3.0 1tb
Display(s) LG CX 55", Samsung CRG9
Case Thermaltake Core P5
Audio Device(s) Razer Kraken Ultimate
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower RGB 850W
Mouse Razer Naga Trinity
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition

Because you can configure vlans, your spanning tree protocol and 802.1Q

This conversation has devolved into silliness. Maybe I can bring this back to the topic. Would this switch be an affordable SAN switching solution for my SMB? At a minimum would be buying two of these to do multipathing to support all that hypervisor goodness? Traditional Cluster + QNAP switches + Storage? Or should I spend 20k on two of the big boys (Brocade, Cisco, Qlogic, etc...). Please don't suggest HCI either, I have mixed feelings on that subject.

Last edited: