• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Next-gen NVIDIA "Ada" GPUs to Possibly Use 21 Gbps Memory

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Everyone's favorite GPU-news leaker Kopite7kimi has updated his tweet from April 1 with more specific board part numbers, and suddenly the information contained there—which could have been misinterpreted as an April 1st joke—now all seems to add up with our own posting from last month about memory bus widths. The update seems to indicate the boards will now feature 21 Gbps memory, which is the same as what we saw on the recently made available RTX 3090 Ti cards, and Videocardz goes further to speculate the 3090 Ti could have been a dry run for the upcoming cards, including with a similar 600 W TDP rating to follow. Note also that the leaker is shying away from referring to these as the RTX 4080/4090 series, leaving room in case NVIDIA decides to jump in naming scheme for reasons including marketing and what the competition decides.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Im more exited for 4080 possibly having 20GB buffer. Finally. Having only 10GB for what is a 4K card would be stupid and not at all futureproof.
10GB these days is between low end 6/8GB and midrange 12GB. 16GB+ is the new high end.

mazzilla

They are still way too power hungry, the xx70 needing 400w alone is a bit mad. So if nVidia is recommending a 750w for a 3070Ti, then would a xx70 need a 900w one?

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Fractal Design Define 7
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZXR, AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
They are still way too power hungry, the xx70 needing 400w alone is a bit mad. So if nVidia is recommending a 750w for a 3070Ti, then would a xx70 need a 900w one?
Yeh, let's hope that's not true, else i'm still gonna get a 3000 series card as i only plan on using 1440p anyways.

Hopefully it just means they're pushed past the sweet spot and undervolting can get some good results. For example 3090 Ti limited to 300W has better performance per W than 6900XT.

With chips pushed to the limit and mainstream overclocking as good as dead if feel like undervolting/underclocking is the future. Save 200W by losing 5-10% of performance? Acceptable tradeoff i say.

to speculate the 3090 Ti could have been a dry run for the upcoming cards, including with a similar 600 W TDP rating to follow.

Yeah, so dry it will make your PSU rot and crumble to dust. If things keep going in this direction, FPS gaming on a PC is going to end up being only for an elite few and eventually die out altogether. I mean, who in their right mind wants to be gaming with a space heater in the same room all year round? I'm able to keep the room temp just under control with the two monster cards I have using a window fan for now(until I get tired of wasps getting in and possibly stinging my ass). I can't imagine how big of an AC unit I would need during the summer months 5-7 years from now to keep the room at 72 F with a newer system, not to mention the possible electrical work needed to upgrade the circuit & maybe a whole new UPS to handle the higher wattage.

Unless things have or will dramatically change in the market, I would postulate that gaming companies want individuals to spend money on their games instead of power-hungry graphics cards. Just throwing that out there for thought.

Chloefile

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legendary
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Imagine if they all had Nvlink.
Nvlink to do what? The only real use for that nowadays would be in workstations for rendering & scientific apps, and those that perform such tasks typically opt for workstation-type cards that use less wattage. I would imagine if they had Nvlink, you would need multiple high-wattage power supplies to run more than two of them and probably some kind of DIY kit bashing liquid cooling.