• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple, Intel to Become Alpha Customers for TSMC's 2 nm Manufacturing Node

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
Industry reports and sources in the financial community have placed Apple and Intel as the two premier customers for TSMC's upcoming N2 node. N2, which is expected to enter volume production by the end of 2025, will be TSMC's first manufacturing process making use of GAAFET (Gate-All-Around Field-Effect Transistor) design. If there are no significant market upheavals or unexpected snags in technology transition, TSMC will be late to the GAAFET party, following Samsung's 3GAE node in 2023 and Intel's first Angstrom-era process, Intel 20A, in 2024.

While Apple's uptake on TSMC's latest manufacturing technology is practically a given at this point, the fact that Intel too is taking up TSMC's N2 node showcases the company's evolved business tactics after the introduction of its IDM 2.0 strategy (IDM standing for Integrated Device Manufacturer, meaning Intel too will fabricate chips according to clients' specs). While pre-Pat Gelsinger was seemingly scared of touching any other foundries' products - mostly from the fact that Intel does have its own significant manufacturing capabilities and R&D, after all - the new Intel is clearly more at peace with driving its competitor's revenues.

As there's a significant cost in adopting a new manufacturing node, Apple is especially primed to take advantage of technological innovations due to the fact that it sells complete systems, which allows it to increase margins on other hardware elements to make up for the significant chip manufacturing costs. While Intel itself doesn't enjoy that advantage, it's expected that the company will leverage TSMC's N2 mode for its own SoCs and Lunar Lake GPU tiles, which the company placed on its roadmap with clear intention of using post-N3 manufacturing tech.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

If anyone is somehow buying Intel's two years "and we're all ready to go" jump to 5nm, I have a bridge to sell you!

tSMC will be the fist fab to have production capacities (its the only reason I can think-of why Intel has bet-it-all on reserving a second manufacturing line!)

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Well, it would seem that the old adage applies here: History teaches us that history teaches us NUTHIN !

To wit: Buried in the fine print of the contracts with Apple is a clause that secures them priority/top-dog status over & above all other customers for like the next 10 years or so.....

If you think for 1 nanosecond that Intel is smart enough to out-maneuver Apple on this situation, then I have some prime beachfront resort property to sell you.... in Kansas City :roll:

ppn

If anyone is somehow buying Intel's two years "and we're all ready to go" jump to 5nm, I have a bridge to sell you!

tSMC will be the fist fab to have production capacities (its the only reason I can think-of why Intel has bet-it-all on reserving a second manufacturing line!)
It looks like intel doesn't have 5nm in plans any longer.

10 was repurposed as 7,
7 was renamed to 4
and there is no 5, you see.

And 2024 on 20/18A is way way better than just the ordinary 5, it's the old 3nm.

System Name 4k
Processor AMD 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI MAG b550m Mortar Wifi
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x8Gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 bl8g36c16u4b.m8fe1
Video Card(s) Nvidia Reference 3080Ti
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) LG 48" C1
Case CORSAIR Carbide AIR 240 Micro-ATX
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar STX
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650W
Software Microsoft Windows10 Pro x64
So what's the actual nm size, is the 2nm an actual 5?

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
I hate Intel doing this, it's bad for the market and bad for consumers....and I'll say that any time a company just relies on it's financial power to muscle around competition rather than innovating....in a just world, Intel would be forced to strictly use their own fabs. Even though it's impossible, If we could get reassurance that Intel's business with TSMC had absolutely no negative effect on AMD's access to silicon, I'd be more at ease....it's just that after Intel's history of bribing OEMs instead playing fair, I cant put anything past them....and returning to the days of Intel hegemony would end my interest in PCs once and for all.

ARF

So what's the actual nm size, is the 2nm an actual 5?

There is nothing two nanometres in it, it is a marketing lie.

Look at the feature sizes of the former processes:

1650660002526.png

5 nm process - Wikipedia

System Name Project Taco
Processor i7 4770k
Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 z87
Cooling Corsair H100i w/Noiseblocker eLoop
Memory Avexir Core Series White LED 4x4GB 1600mhz
Video Card(s) 2x EVGA Nvidia GTX 780 TI Classified
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 500GB
Display(s) 2 QNIX QX2710
Case NZXT H440
Audio Device(s) O2/ODAC
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 1000W Gold

Look at the feature sizes of the former processes:

View attachment 244567
5 nm process - Wikipedia

Really wish that people would learn this. It has been an extremely long time since nm = nm across node nomenclature, yet still the public rabbles around and parades the marketing names like they mean something.

ARF

Really wish that people would learn this. It has been an extremely long time since nm = nm across node nomenclature, yet still the public rabbles around and parades the marketing names like they mean something.

Good point, I honestly don't know what the purpose of this race to lower numbers actually means. Look at the discrepancy between the IRDS roadmap that sets the process specifications, and then look at how TSMC violates it, with one full node behind the roadmap, while Samsung is either two or even three full nodes behind the schedule.

I mean the customer is not stupid, he will see the final performance and will understand that Samsung is a no-go.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Good point, I honestly don't know what the purpose of this race to lower numbers actually means. Look at the discrepancy between the IRDS roadmap that sets the process specifications, and then look at how TSMC violates it, with one full node behind the roadmap, while Samsung is either two or even three full nodes behind the schedule.

I mean the customer is not stupid, he will see the final performance and will understand that Samsung is a no-go.
Intel are nearly ahead with Angstrom chip's due, for Maximum irony.

System Name RYZEN RECKER
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Prime B350-plus
Cooling Arctic Cooler 120mm CPU, Cougar case fans.
Memory 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair LPX 3200mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6700XT Swift 309
Storage 6.5TB total across 4 different drives
Display(s) Acer 32" 170hz VA
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 headset
Power Supply Corsair CX850m
Mouse Steel Series Sensei Ten
Keyboard Corsair K55
Software Windows 10 64-bit
So, what is after "nm" again? We running out of numbers. :slap:

ARF

So, what is after "nm" again? We running out of numbers. :slap:

What will be the last process? We are approaching that moment, I guess by 2030 there will be physical obstacles to shrink the transistors even further?

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
the new Intel is clearly more at peace with driving its competitor's revenues.
This gave me a chuckle. :laugh:

I mean the customer is not stupid, he will see the final performance
I think its more accurate to say most customers dont care about much except perfromance.

D

Deleted member 24505

Time for AMD to stop scratching its arse and spend some of the RYZEN cash on its own FAB/s But i guess even after all the success they still don't have enough money so are perpetually stuck relying on TSMC, they didn't even come up with 3D cache themselves, it was TSMC that did.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3800X / AMD 8350
Motherboard ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Revision 3.0
Cooling Stock / Corsair H100
Memory 32GB / 24GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6800 / AMD Radeon 290X (Toggling until 6950XT)
Storage C:\ 1TB SSD, D:\ RAID-1 1TB SSD, 2x4TB-RAID-1
Display(s) Samsung U32E850R
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Black rev. 2 / Fractal Design
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 1300G2 / EVGA Supernova 850G+
Mouse Logitech M-U0007
Keyboard Logitech G110 / Logitech G110
I hate Intel doing this, it's bad for the market and bad for consumers....and I'll say that any time a company just relies on it's financial power to muscle around competition rather than innovating....in a just world, Intel would be forced to strictly use their own fabs. Even though it's impossible, If we could get reassurance that Intel's business with TSMC had absolutely no negative effect on AMD's access to silicon, I'd be more at ease....it's just that after Intel's history of bribing OEMs instead playing fair, I cant put anything past them....and returning to the days of Intel hegemony would end my interest in PCs once and for all.
This is totally a move to jack up prices and decrease available capacity for AMD while simultaneously trying to appeal to consumers and businesses for "mindshare". TSMC should completely jack up the prices for Intel to discourage this crony anti-capitalist behavior!

Time for AMD to stop scratching its arse and spend some of the RYZEN cash on its own FAB/s But i guess even after all the success they still don't have enough money so are perpetually stuck relying on TSMC, they didn't even come up with 3D cache themselves, it was TSMC that did.
Yeah! Let's just completely ignore that this picture exists for any logical financial reason!

Fabrication Reduction.jpg

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
This is totally a move to jack up prices and decrease available capacity for AMD while simultaneously trying to appeal to consumers and businesses for "mindshare". TSMC should completely jack up the prices for Intel to discourage this crony anti-capitalist behavior!
You do realise this is peak capitalism right? Intel cannot manufacture competitive chips on their own fabs, they hire another fab to do it ...

Also, most people seem to think Intel is the big boy with lots of money here, but reality is that their market cap is less than 1/2 of TSMC's.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3800X / AMD 8350
Motherboard ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Revision 3.0
Cooling Stock / Corsair H100
Memory 32GB / 24GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6800 / AMD Radeon 290X (Toggling until 6950XT)
Storage C:\ 1TB SSD, D:\ RAID-1 1TB SSD, 2x4TB-RAID-1
Display(s) Samsung U32E850R
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Black rev. 2 / Fractal Design
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 1300G2 / EVGA Supernova 850G+
Mouse Logitech M-U0007
Keyboard Logitech G110 / Logitech G110
You do realise this is peak capitalism right? Intel cannot manufacture competitive chips on their own fabs, they hire another fab to do it ...

Also, most people seem to think Intel is the big boy with lots of money here, but reality is that their market cap is less than 1/2 of TSMC's.

Cronyism is not capitalism. People who refuse to distinguish good from evil support evil, they also prefer to live in the world at 240p.

Market cap has to do with trading shares, nothing else including cash on hand, investments, etc. It's a crude manner to compare two corporations in a wildly complex world.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Nvidia is larger than Intel+AMD+QC, at least by market cap, and yet they don't make chips ... and TSMC, big as it is, has no money to set up its own wafer production. They prefer to buy wafers. I was amazed to learn that every foundry buys them, Intel too, and everyone else.

If you look very carefully into IBM's 2 nm prototype chip, you can find a thin insulation or passivation layer around nanosheets which seems to be about 2 nm thick.

Also in colour: https://semiengineering.com/new-transistor-structures-at-3nm-2nm/ (Fig. 3)

Last edited:

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
Cronyism is not capitalism. People who refuse to distinguish good from evil support evil, they also prefer to live in the world at 240p.

Market cap has to do with trading shares, nothing else including cash on hand, investments, etc. It's a crude manner to compare two corporations in a wildly complex world.
TSMC operates a fab for hire. They go to the highest bidder, whomever that may be (and in many shapes, e.g. getting others to fund their capex). It just so happens that Intel and Apple are the highest (or fastest) bidders at this point in time, so they get to secure some allocations. I will not be surprised if Nvidia and AMD will secure their own slice of manufacturing quota in the near future.

Market cap is crude, yes, but it is the easiest method to illustrate the value (and therefore, financial power) of a company.

Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
That's a nonsense, so Apple are way overdue a fab too, it doesn't work that way.

D

Deleted member 24505

Intel do not totally rely on TSMC for their CPU's. They are only getting their GPU's made by TSMC aren't they? that was my point. If they were making their own CPU's they would have more control over them. Fair enough the initial cost of the FAB is staggering, but over the years, surely it would be worth it in the long run. I don't know how much they are paying TSMC but i bet it is a lot.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Intel do not totally rely on TSMC for their CPU's. They are only getting their GPU's made by TSMC aren't they? that was my point. If they were making their own CPU's they would have more control over them. Fair enough the initial cost of the FAB is staggering, but over the years, surely it would be worth it in the long run. I don't know how much they are paying TSMC but i bet it is a lot.
It's not the case that you build a fab buy the tools and your off, the IP that goes into a product development kit required year's of R and D research to build up the transistors, discrete elements and total circuit designs.
Intel, Samsung and Tsmc use the same machine's to make they're own designs happen, they're all doing they're own R&D IP to create the circuit or buying in IP for incorporation.
The technology is driven by ASML ,the designs are driven by they're owner's, and Intel's PDK isn't the same as Tsmc.
Also your picking up on AMD yet I repeat Apple should be first or Nvidia no?!.

After nanometre it's Angstrom, see Intel's pr release.

D

Deleted member 24505

I'm picking up on AMD because generally the crap on TPU is AMD vs Intel. Imo there is no doubt within 5 years Intel will have got their shit together and will be ahead of AMD again because they have their own FABS, again imo they are only using TSMC which is a recent thing is it not? until they get their shit together with their CPU making FABS.

Apple and Nvidia have no real correlation to AMD or Intel as Apple is mostly phones and computers that are not really in competition with AMD or Intel, and the other is GPU's only.

In SI notation it's picometre. Other foundries may use angstrom nomenclature to keep things simple, 20A is a smaller number than 200pm after all but um to nm to pm just makes more sense to me