• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple unveils M2, taking the breakthrough performance and capabilities of M1 even further

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
Apple today announced M2, beginning the next generation of Apple silicon designed specifically for the Mac. Built using second-generation 5-nanometer technology, M2 takes the industry-leading performance per watt of M1 even further with an 18 percent faster CPU, a 35 percent more powerful GPU, and a 40 percent faster Neural Engine. It also delivers 50 percent more memory bandwidth compared to M1, and up to 24 GB of fast unified memory. M2 brings all of this—plus new custom technologies and greater efficiency—to the completely redesigned MacBook Air and updated 13-inch MacBook Pro.
"M2 starts the second generation of M-series chips and goes beyond the remarkable features of M1," said Johny Srouji, Apple's senior vice president of Hardware Technologies. "With our relentless focus on power-efficient performance, M2 delivers a faster CPU, GPU, and Neural Engine. And along with higher memory bandwidth and new capabilities like ProRes acceleration, M2 continues the tremendous pace of innovation in Apple silicon for the Mac."

The system-on-a-chip (SoC) design of M2 is built using enhanced, second-generation 5-nanometer technology, and consists of 20 billion transistors—25 percent more than M1. The additional transistors improve features across the entire chip, including the memory controller that delivers 100 GB/s of unified memory bandwidth—50 percent more than M1. And with up to 24 GB of fast unified memory, M2 can handle even larger and more complex workloads.

Faster Power-Efficient Performance
The new CPU features faster performance cores paired with a larger cache, while the efficiency cores have been significantly enhanced for even greater performance gains. Together, they deliver 18 percent greater multithreaded performance than M1, so M2 can rip through CPU-intensive tasks using very little power, like creating music with layers of effects or applying complex filters to photos. Compared with the latest 10-core PC laptop chip, the CPU in M2 provides nearly twice the performance at the same power level. And, M2 delivers the peak performance of the PC chip while using just a quarter of the power. When compared to the latest 12-core PC laptop chip—which needs dramatically more power to deliver an increase in performance and is therefore found in thicker, hotter, more noisy systems with less battery life—M2 provides nearly 90 percent of the peak performance of the 12-core chip while using just one-fourth the power.

M2 also features Apple's next-generation GPU with up to 10 cores—two more than M1. Combined with a larger cache and higher memory bandwidth, the 10-core GPU delivers a big boost in graphics performance, bringing up to 25 percent higher graphics performance than M1 at the same power level, and up to 35 percent better performance at its max power. Compared with the integrated graphics of the latest PC laptop chip, the GPU in M2 delivers 2.3x faster performance at the same power level, and matches its peak performance using a fifth of the power. The higher performance per watt from M2 enables systems to have exceptional battery life, and run cool and quietly, even when playing graphics-intensive games or editing massive RAW images.

Apple's Next-Generation Custom Technologies
M2 brings Apple's latest custom technologies to the Mac, enabling new capabilities, better security, and more:
  • The Neural Engine can process up to 15.8 trillion operations per second—over 40 percent more than M1.
  • The media engine includes a higher-bandwidth video decoder, supporting 8K H.264 and HEVC video.
  • Apple's powerful ProRes video engine enables playback of multiple streams of both 4K and 8K video.
  • Apple's latest Secure Enclave provides best-in-class security.
  • A new image signal processor (ISP) delivers better image noise reduction.

macOS, M2, and Apps
macOS has been designed for Apple silicon, and the combination of macOS Monterey and the powerful new M2 delivers breakthrough performance and productivity for users. Mac computers powered with Apple silicon have access to the largest collection of apps ever for Mac, including iPhone and iPad apps that can run on Mac, and universal apps that unlock the full power of M-series chips.
macOS Ventura, coming this fall, will also take full advantage of M2, bringing new features including Stage Manager, and powerful new capabilities with Continuity Camera and Handoff in FaceTime. macOS Ventura also includes big updates to Safari, Mail, Messages, Spotlight, and more.

Apple Silicon and the Environment
The power-efficient performance of M2 helps the new MacBook Air and 13-inch MacBook Pro meet Apple's high standards for energy efficiency. Today, Apple is carbon neutral for global corporate operations, and by 2030, plans to have net-zero climate impact across the entire business, which includes manufacturing supply chains and all product life cycles. This means that every chip Apple creates, from design to manufacturing, will be 100 percent carbon neutral.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Alucard
Processor M2 Pro 14"
Motherboard Apple thingy all together
Cooling no Need
Memory 32 Shared Memory
Video Card(s) 30 units
Storage 1 TB
Display(s) Acer 2k 170Hz, Benq 4k HDR
Mouse Logictech M3
Keyboard Logictech M3
Software MacOs / Ubuntu
i think they are now the only who delvier this performance with this kind of power consumsion, more support for ARM CPU . :D

I'm no rocket surgeon, but releasing chips with such big performance increases so close to other recent chips is not going to make people too excited to drop several thousand on a new Mac and have it obsolete in 6 months or less. I'd be a little pissed to wake up to read this press release if I just bought into their ecosystem.

I'm no rocket surgeon, but releasing chips with such big performance increases so close to other recent chips is not going to make people too excited to drop several thousand on a new Mac and have it obsolete in 6 months or less. I'd be a little pissed to wake up to read this press release if I just bought into their ecosystem.
Sandbagging performance increases, just so that someone does not feel bad is simply silly. The old one is just as fast as it was when you decided it was worth your money. It is in no way obsolete just because something new is a bit faster.

The first M1 based Macs were released back in 2020, that's almost 1.5 years back! Pretty sure anyone buying into Apple isn't getting cold feet over this :rolleyes:

FIxed it for you ;)
Yeah no this tripe is getting old. The numbers, even if some of them are cherry picked, are class leading across a variety of workloads!

System Name Black Knight | White Queen
Processor Intel Core i9-10940X | Intel Core i7-5775C
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore X299G | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S (White)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | Xigmatek Dark Knight SD-1283 Night Hawk (White)
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4 3600MHz CL16 | Corsair Vengeance LP 4x4GB DDR3L 1600MHz CL9 (White)
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC | KFA2/Galax GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hall of Fame Edition
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, 980 Pro 1TB, 850 Pro 256GB, 840 Pro 256GB, WD 10TB+ (incl. VelociRaptors)
Display(s) Dell Alienware AW2721D 240Hz, ASUS ROG Strix XG279Q 170Hz, ASUS PA246Q 60Hz| Samsung JU7500 48'' TV
Case Corsair 7000D AIRFLOW (Black) | NZXT ??? w/ ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX | Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 1250W 85+ | Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W (White)
Mouse Razer Basilisk Ultimate, Razer Naga Trinity | Razer Mamba 16000
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 (Orange switch) | Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
M2 is not exciting, just like all "odd" numbers of A processors. This is just like Intel back in the day - their tick-tock way of things.

A-series:
even numbers = the new architecture and big improvements
odd numbers = shrink

A12 = BIG
A13 = shrink
A14 = BIG
A15 = shrink

While M1 was based on A14, it looks M2 is based on A15. M3 will be the next big step based on A16 which should be 3nm.

Processor Ryzen 5 7600X
Motherboard ASRock B650M PG Riptide
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory DDR5 6000Mhz CL28 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 Palit GamingPro OC
Storage Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen.4 1TB
The first M1 based Macs were released back in 2020, that's almost 1.5 years back! Pretty sure anyone buying into Apple isn't getting cold feet over this :rolleyes:

Yeah no this tripe is getting old. The numbers, even if some of them are cherry picked, are class leading across a variety of workloads!
As I said - toys. This is 6900hs vs M1 pro(8p +2e cores). M2 with just 18% over 4p+4e M1 has no chans. The release of 7900hs will be blood bath for whole m2 series
1654544860323.png

Last edited:
System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
"Apple says that new Apple product is amazing."

Benchmarks will soon show the truth.

As I said - toys. This is 6900hs vs M1 pro(8p +2e cores). M2 with just 18% over 4p+4e M1 has no chans. The release of 7900hs will be blood bath for whole m2 series
View attachment 250030

Neither M1 or M2 are "magic", they're great for the things they have hw optimizations for (like video decoding), and get by on the rest. That is not to say they aren't good because they certainly are, especially in perf./watt, they just aren't magic. The lack of meaningfull software support in many applications (like gpu compute) will continue to be a major drawback because Apple is even worse than nvidia at playing with others.

System Name Old Gateway / Steam Deck OLED LE
Processor i5 4440 3.1ghz / Jupiter 4c 8t
Motherboard Gateway / Valve
Cooling Eh it doesn't thermal throttle
Memory 2x 8GB JEDEC 1600mhz DDR3 / 16gb DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) RX 560D 4GB / Navi II 8CU
Storage 240gb 2.5 SSD / 1TB nvme
Display(s) Dell @ 1280*1024 75hz / 800p OLED
Case Gateway / Valve LE
Audio Device(s) Gateway Diamond Audio EMC2.0-USB 5375U ($15 a long ass time ago), Valve
Power Supply 380w oem / 65w valve USB-C
Mouse Purple Walmart special, 1600dpi. Black desk mat
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 100 / virtual
VR HMD Lmao
Software Windows 10 / Steam OS
Benchmark Scores It can run Crysis (Original), Doom 2016, and Halo MCC. SD LE 45fps
This used to be how it was actually. For example, the TNT2 released in March 99, then the geforce 256 in October of that year

View attachment 250030
Sorry dude but its getting old. Real fracking old!

its so true, these are toys

When you can run a cross-compiler that supports ios compilation on anything but macos, then they will stop being toys.
Sigh. I’ve been reading tech sites since 1994 and people like you have been saying the exact same word, toy, for the last 30 years.

It is quite literally getting very old and only shows the very, very narrow usage space you exist in.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.

Sigh. I’ve been reading tech sites since 1994 and people like you have been saying the exact same word, toy, for the last 30 years.

It is quite literally getting very old and only shows the very, very narrow usage space you exist in.

Apple paying for 2 node jumps ahead of AMD and using click to add ARM CPU's with some nice handcrafted sections of memory controller and some hardware accelerating pieces for their specific case usage (Adobe Premier for example) will no doubt be as fast as their power budget allows.

General purpose computing they will not, and as soon as the software standard changes they will be

A) Unable to process the load as Apple loves user upgrades
B) Terribly slow forcing users to upgrade.

They aren't the only ARM reliant company to face these issues, they have done it before and will continue to do it.

System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS APU
Motherboard BareBones Mini PC MB
Cooling Mini PC Cooling
Memory Crucial 32GB 4800MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 680M 8GB IGPU
Storage Crucial 500GB M.2 SSD + 2TB Ext HDD
Display(s) Sony 4K Bravia X85J 43Inch TV 120Hz
Case Beelink Mini PC Chassis
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply 120w Power Brick
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.

Saying "people like you have been saying the exact same word, toy, for the last 30 years" Is hypocritical of you, cause it shows the very narrow usage space you exist in, by labelling & categorizing people all because they offended your precious company/product.

i think they are now the only who delvier this performance with this kind of power consumsion, more support for ARM CPU . :D

This is actually not something that cannot be achieved using x86. Apple's designs are just too big, nothing special or magical.

The slides show Apple's M2 having twice the compute vs power over Intel's 12 series. That's an easy win for Apple, it's similar to AMD's Zen3 advantage.

View attachment 250030
I know AMD is really competitive with their latest 6xxx chips in this space, but they're also at least slightly behind.
Also the results you're showing they're for native (ARM) applications on Mac OS or through Windows emulation?

M2 is not exciting, just like all "odd" numbers of A processors. This is just like Intel back in the day - their tick-tock way of things.

A-series:
even numbers = the new architecture and big improvements
odd numbers = shrink

A12 = BIG
A13 = shrink
A14 = BIG
A15 = shrink

While M1 was based on A14, it looks M2 is based on A15. M3 will be the next big step based on A16 which should be 3nm.
Well A16 is going to be a very small performance leap and only going into Pro phones, rest of the 1Phone 14's get A15 again.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
Apple users: "I can live with sub optimal performance at premium price"
Apple company: "Say no more, here's 18% increase in performance for 20% increase in price"

In my opinion, most people will be hard pressed to observe any difference between a M1 and M2 MacBook Air in their day to day usage. I’ve used the M1 MacBook Air for quite a long time, and I never really feel like I am losing out by not getting the M1 Ultra/ Max for example. Also, while the M2 sounds quite a bit faster on paper, I feel it is less impressive than what the M1 chip delivered when it was launched. We are accustomed to hearing crappy performance from ARM based Windows system in the past. And as a result, Apple’s M1 shocked the industry when it proved to be very performant while also delivering battery life unheard of in a laptop that starts at USD 999 at launch. It is no gaming machine, but for work, surfing net, watching shows and doing some photo editing, it is convenient and a joy to use even with just 8GB of system ram.