• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Arc A370M Graphics Card Tested in Various Graphics Rendering Scenarios

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
Intel's Arc Alchemist graphics cards launched in laptop/mobile space, and everyone is wondering just how well the first generation of discrete graphics performs in actual, GPU-accelerated workloads. Tellusim Technologies, a software company located in San Diego, has managed to get ahold of a laptop featuring an Intel Arc A370M mobile graphics card and benchmark it against other competing solutions. Instead of using Vulkan API, the team decided to use D3D12 API for tests, as the Vulkan usually produces lower results on the new 12th generation graphics. With the 30.0.101.1736 driver version, this GPU was mainly tested in the standard GPU working environment like triangles and batches. Meshlet size is set to 69/169, and the job is as big as 262K Meshlets. The total amount of geometry is 20 million vertices and 40 million triangles per frame.

Using the tests such as Single DIP (drawing 81 instances with u32 indices without going to Meshlet level), Mesh Indexing (Mesh Shader emulation), MDI/ICB (Multi-Draw Indirect or Indirect Command Buffer), Mesh Shader (Mesh Shaders rendering mode) and Compute Shader (Compute Shader rasterization), the Arc GPU produced some exciting numbers, measured in millions or billions of triangles. Below, you can see the results of these tests.

Next, we have a Ray Tracing test with Compute Shader (CS) and hardware (API) rendering models. These ones cover CS Static (ray tracing with 40M triangles total), CS Dynamic Fast (ray tracing with 4.2M triangles and 2.9M vertices total), and CS Dynamic Full (CS Dynamic Fast but with full BLAS rebuild instead of fast BVH update) tests. The API ones include API Static, API Dynamic Fast, and API Dynamic Full, using API-provided ray tracing techniques. The timings shown below represent BLAS update / Scene tracing times.

The team also tested how much memory the GPU needs for BLAS and Scratch buffers, as shown below.

Overall, the Intel Arc GPU performance is not excellent due to the poor state of the driver. Tellusim's GravityMark benchmark crashes on D3D12 API, meaning that Intel has much work to do to improve the performance. Numbers for Arc A370M are easily scaled to its bigger brother, the A770M, as the giant silicon has four times the compute power, so rough estimations could be placed.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
They need to iterate faster. Maybe a competitor after battlemage.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
"Geezywheezy, I'm soooo suh_prizeeed"

Said absolutely nObOdY, hahahaha.......

Cat GIF

Yes the arcs are perhaps good in syntetic or compute, but lack any decent gaming power. People say it's the drivers but Intel had a year to optimize for these drivers. Its 2 years since the announcement, and i think the whole thing is DOA. It's another vega; originally intented as a compute based chip. And they releasing simular versions now for "pro" consumers: https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-a...ard-appears-at-south-korean-regulatory-office

Intel is quite some years behind here. And i doubt if raja is ever able to come-up with something beating a 1080ti still.

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max
Cooling stock crap AMD wraith cooler
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro RX580 8GBs
Storage Adata Gammix S11 Pro 1TB nvme
Case Corsair Caribide Air 540
Intel have failed to deliver on so many fronts with this, it's not even funny. Underpowered, seemingly overpriced, way too late, with unoptimized drivers. They haven't got a single redeeming factor in this release. Had they at least managed to release on schedule (that is, two whole years ago), even this crap would fly, seeing how the market was starved for GPUs.

People have kept comparing this to i740 negatively, but as a matter fact, i740 was a respectable, if behind its time card. It cost half as much as the flagships of the era cost, and provided performance on a par with the immediately previous generation flagship, Riva128. This trainwreck wishes it was an i740. Let's hope they do better on the second iteration. First one is dead on arrival and garbage.

The delay in release is proberly due to failed targets as in performance or perhaps a truckload of bugs.

The i740 was so populair because it offered "Some" 3D capabilities while being affordable. Intel lured for centuries on providing simple 2D VGA cards installed on their chipset or motherboard that would eliminate the use of external graphics cards, making it overall cheaper for most office sollutions. They cant compete with the two giants just like that.

Overall, the i740 was discontinued as a whole, since it just did'nt perform as competition was doing.

What a failure you gotta do a bit better than AMD/NVIDIA's bottom tier that's about to be phased out by a new generation.

What a failure you gotta do a bit better than AMD/NVIDIA's bottom tier that's about to be phased out by a new generation.
When it comes to raw engineering talent and not some shady marketing and monopoly tactics it's not that easy as many think.

Intel have failed to deliver on so many fronts with this, it's not even funny.
I for one find it hilarious. Karma is a b*atch.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
When it comes to raw engineering talent and not some shady marketing and monopoly tactics it's not that easy as many think.

I for one find it hilarious. Karma is a b*atch.

They for sure did this to themselves, but to be fair, if you're comparing this to IRIS it's a huge engineering leap.

Just a generation late.

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
Sad sad sad. Everything we've seen so far has been a big fat zero. So much for a third player in the graphics realm helping to bring prices back in line :(

Processor Ryzen R7 5700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Pro WiFi
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Memory 32 GB LPX DDR4-3200-RAM
Video Card(s) Nvidia Geforce RTX 4080 FE 16 GB
Storage 2 TB Gigabyte Aorus NVMe SSD
Display(s) EIZO ColorEdge CG2700X
Case FormD T1 V2 SW
Audio Device(s) Naim Mu-so QB2
Mouse Logitech MX Vertical
Keyboard Mode 65, Mode Sonnet, ZSA Moonlander
Software Windows 10
ARC cards will have to be much cheaper if Intel wants to sell any of these at all. Now we know why only two major players have dominated the graphics card market for so long. Not even a giant like Intel with a lot of iGPU experience manages AMD's or Nvidia's level of performance despite years of research and development.