• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TPU's Nostalgic Hardware Club

PS2 peripherals are a requirement on the old platforms. ;)
I recommend you find them. For everything you seem work on, it will make your life easier.
It is with my experience with this PC. o_O
That is what I thought. I am surprised the Wireless Keyboard is working on it.o_O
I looked again and there are quite a few open box ones. I don,t want to buy a second-hand one as this is one of the things that have more germs on them than most things yuk. :eek:

Good ole LGR...
Clint and Phil are our fav Retro you tubers on here.
:) Here's one from Phil :)
nice looking case.:) Another very interesting video from Phil
Of course all of Phil's are interesting. Like Clints :)

This is the modal of the PC I found yesterday, I don,t know why it is so heavy. o_OThe Dells I have are a lot lighter. o_OHP Compaq dc5000 MT Pentium 4 2.8GHz 1GB 40GB CDRW/DVD FDD XP Professional.
*Can anyone tell me what Ram this takes? DDR1 or 2?*

Last edited:
System Name Main W10
Processor i7 2700K
Motherboard Gig Z77 HD4
Cooling Xigmatech Tower Cooler
Memory 16 GB G-Skill 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 1080ti 11GB
Storage WD Gold 2 TB HD
Display(s) Acer 27" 1440P
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Audio Device(s) JDS Labs Element DAC/AMP
Power Supply Rosewill Hive 650 watt
Mouse MX 518
Keyboard Cherry 3000 with Blues
It is with my experience with this PC. o_O
That is what I thought. I am surprised the Wireless Keyboard is working on it.o_O
I looked again and there are quite a few open box ones. I don,t want to buy a second-hand one as this is one of the things that have more germs on them than most things yuk. :eek:

Clint and Phil are our fav Retro you tubers on here.
:) Here's one from Phil :)
nice looking case.:) Another very interesting video from Phil
Of course all of Phil's are interesting. Like Clints :)

This is the modal of the PC I found yesterday, I don,t know why it is so heavy. o_OThe Dells I have are a lot lighter. o_OHP Compaq dc5000 MT Pentium 4 2.8GHz 1GB 40GB CDRW/DVD FDD XP Professional.
*Can anyone tell me what Ram this takes? DDR1 or 2?*
There specs page says DDR SDRAM

I thought I would have to get some extension cables, but they were hidden under the hard drive. I am glad I found them the cables are not cheap. I just hope I can get the mouse to work. :)If not getting into the bios, or when the PS2 adapter comes next week. Fingers crossed. It looks a mess with me having to undo the tie to see what the cable situation was. o_OWhich one 1 or 2 Sdram?
I just hope the PS2 Mouse Adapter gets my Mouse working, :)

Last edited:
That would be something to try, open the Device Manager and navigate to the "Mice & other Pointing Devices" section & delete everything under it.
The Win10 PC I'm on right now has two entries in that section. I got there using the arrow keys & hitting the Del key will delete an entry. Have your WinXP install disk handy.
Hope your weekend is going well :) I am in the setup utility I am at a loss to know what to do in there. I got this message when I got into the settings about the CPU settings I put it to manual. I do, I din,t know how the CPU speed changed.o_O The mouse is not even working in the settings now. o_O What do I look for in the settings to get the mouse working?

Attachments

• DSC00538.JPG
    DSC00538.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:
System Name Gamer
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite WIFI
Cooling Apogee XL, MCR360, MCP655, Micro-rez
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Red Dragon RX 6800 XT
Storage WD SN850 1TB & SN750 1TB
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" 1440p 144Hz
Case Rocketfish (Lian Li) e-ATX
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon HK695 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GM-750
Mouse HP Gaming wired
Keyboard Logitech G110 wired
VR HMD HP WMR 1440^2
Software Win10 Pro 64bit
There are three thing you should do in BIOS to start.
1. Put the CPU Speed back to AUTO !!! :) You can play with that at some point in the future.
2. Look at the PS/2 Mouse Function Control and cycle through the options. I'm guessing they will be Auto, Enable, and Disable. Verify all the settings for that & let us know if there are more or different choices.
3. Look at USB Legacy Support and cycle through the options. Again, I'm guessing Auto, Enable, and Disable. I remember having to set it from Auto to Enabled to correct a problem many years ago.

There are three thing you should do in BIOS to start.
1. Put the CPU Speed back to AUTO !!! :) You can play with that at some point in the future.
2. Look at the PS/2 Mouse Function Control and cycle through the options. I'm guessing they will be Auto, Enable, and Disable. Verify all the settings for that & let us know if there are more or different choices.
3. Look at USB Legacy Support and cycle through the options. Again, I'm guessing Auto, Enable, and Disable. I remember having to set it from Auto to Enabled to correct a problem many years ago.
CPU Speed No *Auto*Just *Manual* It says on here it must be * Manual*
CPU Vcore Setting is *Auto*
PS2 *Enable* snd *Auto*only. I changed it to *Enabled* from *Auto*that did not work
so I have changed it back to what it was before *Auto*
USB Legacy Support Yiu are right there those three options are there it was *Auto*
I have changed it to *Enabled* Saved and exited.
Sorry to say that has not worked. :(When I unplug the Mouse it shows up as a
Human Interface it flickers a few times. In this video, I get to this point in the video
They say *ALT + Right Arrow *To expand group then *Down arrow* none of that works for me.:(
from the video I don,t get that does not come up
540,I can,t get rid of that bix on top of the device manager.o_O That box on top of the device manager want go away. It is still flickering on the device manager off and on.o_O Thanks for helping me out anyway:) If I can,t get this mouse working with the PS2 I will have to send it back, I have spent ages trying o_ONeedless to say the CMOS battery needs changing I don,t want to change it tell I can get the mouse working.At some point in time, i saw it say it found new hardware. I can get rid of
the Hardware one but not the one in front of it :(

I have just received the PS2 Adapter i have inserted in to the PC see 555 but it srill does not work no light on the mouse.when i put my external drive in the adapter the light is in the drive,so that nust be conected.I just went to the Pound Shop for a Mouse and found out they only had one for £3 poiund . :rockout:

Attachments

• DSC00540.JPG
    DSC00540.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 40
  • DSC00541.JPG
    DSC00541.JPG
    6.9 MB · Views: 42
  • DSC00542.JPG
    DSC00542.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 34
  • DSC00555.JPG
    DSC00555.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
557 the T5 has a blue light it was pluged tn to the PS2 plug does that mean the adapter plug is working?the pins don,t look bent the thing next to it i found it loose case i can,t get it back on there.Plus the fact the seller did not screw the DVD drive in. :(Which knocked one of the panals off the front of the case.It could have fallen out and done damage.Times running out if i have to send it back,as the seller only gave 14 days for a return.

Attachments

• DSC00557.JPG
    DSC00557.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 34
  • DSC00558.JPG
    DSC00558.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 42
  • DSC00561.JPG
    DSC00561.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
I do not mean to brag but the flea market in my town is awesome! :D After 7 years I am still amazed of the stuff that can pop up there!

Well, it seems that I am Well(er) on my way to having all the tools I need for quite a while. :D No more hot swapping hot tips when I need it. I just have to power up station 1, 2 or 3! :D They are analog but the tips used, control the temperature based on the number market on them. For example 7 means 370C. These soldering irons are awesome! Based on the year they were made they are from 1979, 1983 and 1985. I cleaned them up and repaired some cracks and missing bits from the plastic cases but the insides are pristine. This is a testimony that well built things really can last a lifetime.

Now I need for a hot air station to pop up at the flea market and I am golden! :D

Attachments

• PRW-2022-206.jpg
    PRW-2022-206.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
  • weller tips.pdf
    60.3 KB · Views: 38
System Name Main W10
Processor i7 2700K
Motherboard Gig Z77 HD4
Storage WD Gold 2 TB HD
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Mouse MX 518
I do not mean to brag but the flea market in my town is awesome! :D After 7 years I am still amazed of the stuff that can pop up there!

Well, it seems that I am Well(er) on my way to having all the tools I need for quite a while. :D No more hot swapping hot tips when I need it. I just have to power up station 1, 2 or 3! :D They are analog but the tips used, control the temperature based on the number market on them. For example 7 means 370C. These soldering irons are awesome! Based on the year they were made they are from 1979, 1983 and 1985. I cleaned them up and repaired some cracks and missing bits from the plastic cases but the insides are pristine. This is a testimony that well built things really can last a lifetime.

Now I need for a hot air station to pop up at the flea market and I am golden! :D
That's great for you because you have the SKILLS! I have lots of trinkets I've been gathering the last 18 years. I'm digging out all of them and good for
me they don't require talent to use....:ohwell:

Attachments

• SANY0527.JPG
    SANY0527.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
That's great for you because you have the SKILLS! I have lots of trinkets I've been gathering the last 18 years. I'm digging out all of them and good for
me they don't require talent to use....:ohwell:
How do you find thouse PS2 Mouse Adapters?
Because i bought one and it does not work. :(Why have you got three PS2 Mouse Adapters? o_O

System Name Main W10
Processor i7 2700K
Motherboard Gig Z77 HD4
Storage WD Gold 2 TB HD
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Mouse MX 518
How do you find thouse PS2 Mouse Adapters?
Because i bought one and it does not work. :(Why have you got three PS2 Mouse Adapters? o_O
Some came with the keyboard or Mouse plus I've been playing with hardware for those 18 years. (and Ebay) Some of those are just adapters, you may need "converters" to go to USB.

System Name Adison "Open Space" 19
Processor Intel Pentium II, 350MHz
Motherboard Chaintech 6BTM, Slot 1
Cooling SECC Cartridge
Memory 1x 64MB, PC100
Video Card(s) ATI Rage IIc AGP, Diamond Monster 3DII 12MB
Storage BTC BCD-40XH, Quantum Fireball 3.5 Series, EX6.4 GB
Display(s) LG StudioWorks 57M
Case Adison Midi Tower, ATX
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster 128
Power Supply Codegen 300W
Mouse Genius SlimStar 110, PS/2
Keyboard Genius SlimStar 110, PS/2
Software Microsoft Windows 98
While everyone else is busy with the /other/ BTC (the one that's commonly mentioned & used nowdays), I got my hands on this brand new, boxed up BTC rodent :D

While everyone else is busy with the /other/ BTC (the one that's commonly mentioned & used nowdays), I got my hands on this brand new, boxed up BTC rodent :D
Has anyone had any problrms with the the PS2 Adapter or the PS2 Mouse?Because i can,t get my USB mouse to work it just shows in the Human Interface i see that it happens to a lot if peiple.No way of sirting it out woth out a mouse. :(I also have a wireless miuse that does not work propertly on anther PC but when i plug it in the PC that is not working with the USB mouse i get a message saying found new hard ware .i don,t get that with the PS2 Adapter when the USB mouse is pluged in.I have a wireless ketboard that is working fine.I am in a dilemer .do i take a chance on buying a £3 pound
wiewless mouse from Poundland if you are in the UK it seems like a lot of there sruff is a lot more than i Pound now.Why i am thinking of giving that mouse ago is that the wirekess mouse that is not working properly on another PC is the only one to show found new Hardware in the PC that the morse id not working.o_OOther than that do i take a chance and buy a PS2 mouse for Amazon for £6.50?I is a shame that Poundland stopped selling a pound mouse,if they had i woukd have gone for that
there crap mice but what do you exspect for just a pound.I did have one some years ago and it lasted for some years.They make some half decent computer Tech stuff now days.
Here are some of there Tech stuff.

Last edited:
System Name Master
Processor Pair of Xeon X5675's @ 4.3
Motherboard SR-2 Classified
Memory 12 GB of Corsair Dominator GT's @ 2000 7-7-7-21
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX680
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750
You need a PS2 mouse bro. Simple as that.

I have just conected a new drive with a sata to ide and this is the screen that has just come up it says no *master or slave* ? see the phoro s ,It is the one Phil recommened

Multibao PATA IDE to SATA Interface Adapter Converter, Serial ATA SATA to Parallel ATA PATA/IDE Hard Drive for 3.5"/2.5" Hard Drive HDD DVD - Plug And Play​

1655913364242.png

You need a PS2 mouse bro. Simple as that.
How wiuld that get me the mouse working on there?
And this problem *

*IMF FILE txtsetup .sif is corrupt of missing, status 1024?*​

Is that just a problem with HDD drives? Because i had the same problem in my Dell i was hoping to get XP on it there ,and transfer the drive as the main drive on the PC i got from Ebay ,And why does ut not sgow that it is a Master or Slave?The jumper is set to Master the conection is nearer the Molex conecter.Why does it show None?When it is sey to Master? You are right there though.about thr mouse.Why does the PS2 Adapter not work with the USB mouse though?

Attachments

• DSC00572.JPG
    DSC00572.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 29
  • DSC00573.JPG
    DSC00573.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 28
  • DSC00576.JPG
    DSC00576.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 29
System Name Gamer
Mouse HP Gaming wired
VR HMD HP WMR 1440^2
Software Win10 Pro 64bit
That WinXP error seems to be an issue with your XP disk (according to what I found with google). Do you have another XP disk?

That WinXP error seems to be an issue with your XP disk (according to what I found with google). Do you have another XP disk?
Yes i do .i have quite a few,I thought it would be a problem with HDD drives As not put an OS in a HDD drive.But why does it say none in the photo i put on here.?I don,t know why the PS2 Adapter did not work. :(

Attachments

• DSC00572.JPG
    DSC00572.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 42
System Name Gamer
Mouse HP Gaming wired
VR HMD HP WMR 1440^2
Software Win10 Pro 64bit
Wish I knew Greenslade. I'd like to see you have something actually work out with your old stuff.

Last edited:
System Name Main W10
Processor i7 2700K
Motherboard Gig Z77 HD4
Storage WD Gold 2 TB HD
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Mouse MX 518
I wish he was stateside, would have just sent him a perfectly working system.
Those are great gestures and I have so much extra hardware I could surely send him something too. :rockout:

Those are great gestures and I have so much extra hardware I could surely send him something too. :rockout:
My shop takes in old PC's and electronics for recycling. We get old PC's on a regular basis. Sometimes we part them out and break them down and sometimes we rebuild them & sell them as retro systems..

Last edited:
Processor Raptor Lake 13700K
Motherboard Asus Z690
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz CAS16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 4070 Ti
Display(s) Samsung C32HG70 - 32" 1440p
Case Silverstone GD-07B
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen - Sennheiser HD595
That sounds like a really enjoyable job If it’s able to sufficiently pay the bills. None of the Goodwills around here have much of any computer stuff, so I knew it was being sent somewhere. What part of the country are you in?

System Name Main W10
Processor i7 2700K
Motherboard Gig Z77 HD4
Storage WD Gold 2 TB HD
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Mouse MX 518
I have a few of those too...

Attachments

• SANY0328.JPG
    SANY0328.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
I wish he was stateside, would have just sent him a perfectly working system.
That is a very nice gestuer :)Like you say it is a shame we live in different countries:(You are a good friend on here lex .:)

That sounds like a really enjoyable job If it’s able to sufficiently pay the bills. None of the Goodwills around here have much of any computer stuff, so I knew it was being sent somewhere. What part of the country are you in?
I thought Lex worked in the field of being a Pro Tech PC repaier ,and having his own shop.Yes Clint says the same about Goodwills having very little PC stuff in his Thrifting
video s
His first in in some time.

Last edited: