• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Xbox Cloud Gaming Set to Receive Keyboard Support & latency Improvements

Microsoft has discussed upcoming additions to Xbox Cloud Gaming including mouse and keyboard support along with latency improvements during a recent developer event. The current list of Xbox titles supporting keyboard and mouse input is currently quite short but as Microsoft promotes this new feature we would expect this lineup to grow. Microsoft also announced a new Direct Capture feature in their Display Details API that can reduce latency by up to 72 ms to as low as 2 -12 ms compared to 8 - 74 ms with the current pipeline.

This new API does come with some limitations however such as only allowing a maximum resolution of 1440p and not supporting dynamic resolution or HDR yet. These limitations should have a minimal effect on developers as streams are currently limited to 720p on mobile and 1080p on other platforms. Microsoft also plans to launch several new tools soon to assist developers in adding Direct Capture support to their games.

Morgan Brown - Software Engineer @ Xbox said:
Xbox has been supporting keyboard and mouse for a few years now, and we're working on adding it to streaming for PC users

Video

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

I know cloud gaming is not really something that people look forward on a hardware enthusiast site, but it starting to create it's own niche. Most of these streaming site have the ability to share games and subscription among family members.

In the end it's much cheaper than buying many Gaming PC and/or consoles. Most kids have anyway some kind of computer to do their homework. you can now buy something cheap and they can game on it.

I tested it to play with friend using it, it's very usable. i still prefer way more playing on my high end pc, but for people that are on limited budget, cloud gaming is a real alternative.

The best option remain Geforce Now, but it's the least user friendly. Stadia is top on gaming experience but the hardware age is starting to show and the game selection suck (even if they announced supporting proton to make porting game easier.)

I didn't play much with Xbox because you had to had a remote. tried it a bit and it was ok. The user experience is better than Geforce Now but it's last in quality.

If Microsoft is able to improve significantly the quality of the stream and reduce the latency, they will probably have a winner there. Their game selection is top notch.

System Name ✨ Lenovo M700 [Tiny]
Cooling ⚠️ 78,08% N² ⌬ 20,95% O² ⌬ 0,93% Ar ⌬ 0,04% CO²
Audio Device(s) ◐◑ AKG K702 ⌬ FiiO E10K Olympus 2
Mouse ✌️ Corsair M65 RGB Elite [Black] ⌬ Endgame Gear MPC-890 Cordura
Keyboard ⌨ Turtle Beach Impact 500
"... that can reduce latency by up to 72 ms to as low as 2 -12 ms ..."

Sure, if you got fiber & live right next to the server farm. :cool: Otherwise you're not even close & the latency becomes unbearable, esp. for FPS games.

Maybe it'll become something in the future. The biggest selling point would be imo making cheating impossible when the game runs on their servers.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Mouse and keyboard with <12ms certainly sounds good

As much as i'm a diehard, my kid will end up using this tech sooner or later