• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Valve Confirms Steam Deck Customers to Receive Their Devices Within 2022

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Why in the world would I pay this premium to carry around another windows Linux console, when newer games are getting castrated by that 2x2 dual CCX zen 2 3100 part ( with half the cache of the 3100).

This has twice as many cores twice the cache per-core; Zen3+ also offers faster GPU:

And all for just twice the price.

You do you, leave us to do ourselves, because you are entitled to a opinion .

But it's not shared by all.

Not quite. The pricing has yet to be anounced but the word around the water-cooler is that there will be a base model at $750. While not official, that seems reasonable and is an acceptable $100 bump for so much more that the top end Steam Deck.

You do you, leave us to do ourselves, because you are entitled to a opinion .

But it's not shared by all.
Fair enough. I've had my say. Shutting up.

I would never buy this outside of early 2022.

They emailed me mine was ready, told them to fuck off and release the next one properly next time.

I don't kowtow to this waiting list shit. Ever. I can't believe even a single one if you would buy it after all this time.

I got mine (here in Germany - I got it in the first batch even) .... and as I'm not 19 anymore by a long margin am slightly disappointed.

It runs well and everything (for those games optimized for it at least) and extremely well if you use it to stream from your local PC to it. So in general nice to have besides the Steam-Box I still have when my wife blocks my TV and I don't want to be gaming downstairs alone but be beside her on the couch without having to watch "her series-es" :D .... but this also shows how often I'll actually use this and besides the first excitement about the possibilities it's like so many gadgets .... really nice, but hell, how much money did I blow on this thing? :D ...

still thinking about selling it (as I'm past the return time) though. Like I said. I like it. Just not "enough" for the price range. But mostly out of personal reasons / usability point of view, not the hardware itself (and yes, I could have known that earlier, but hey .... what don't we do when we're excited even though we SHOULD know better :D )

It's a POS.

Just say it.

The hardware is a joke. 4 cores in 2022?

Why in the world would I pay this premium to carry around another windows Linux console, when newer games are getting castrated by that 2x2 dual CCX zen 2 3100 part ( with half the cache of the 3100).

This has twice as many cores twice the cache per-core; Zen3+ also offers faster GPU:

Its telling when valve is adding SteamOS support for the 6800u ( but very likely wont be shipping it until 2024 at the earliest - they still haven't released this first-gen worldwide, so add another year for full release, then another to implement the refresh. )

Valve is not competing with other handheld manufacturers, specially these ones with such low production. What Valve wants is to prove as viable and popularize Linux in the PC landscape.

That's why Valve would welcome with open arms any handheld that wants to ship with SteamOS. In fact it's genius to offer a baseline to keep the competition pricing in check while you make a buttload of money out of software sales.

The 6800U isn't going to be twice as fast as Aerith. The GPD WinMax 2 6800U has been reviewed and it isn't.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
I have mixed feelings about the steam deck.

Officially storage expansion doesnt seem to be supported, unofficially? dont know,
The 64gig model seems a bad buy even at release as there is some games bigger then that.
Some units come with a slower storage, they state no impact to performance in testing, but a lottery like that doesnt seem right.
Value for money in this market not horrible.
Controller buttons part of unit, I remember my wii-u having sticky buttons and they did not always react when pressed (poor QA), problem in this scenario if your controller is a failed QA the whole unit needs to be replaced.

Its not terrible though and also with the energy crisis it has merit there as well. Its also a platform that has longevity. Steam is unlikely to expire any time soon, so this device should have a long lifespan in that respect. Its obsolescence will be if it ceases to be powerful enough to play games you want to play on it.

On the reservation, I think allowing people to reserve a unit is better than it simply been delisted with tiny order windows like we had on the PS5.

I have mixed feelings about the steam deck.

Officially storage expansion doesnt seem to be supported, unofficially? dont know,

You can expand it with a microSD (or several) or a m.2 2230 SSD replacement.

The 64gig model seems a bad buy even at release as there is some games bigger then that.

It was rather unpopular when no one knew if you could upgrade the storage and the microSD performance was in doubt. Along the line it will be the best bang for the buck when 2230 SSDs drop in price and microSD performance is OK.

Some units come with a slower storage, they state no impact to performance in testing, but a lottery like that doesnt seem right.

It certainly isn't. Valve should have been more open about it and put a notice when finally buying the unit.

Controller buttons part of unit, I remember my wii-u having sticky buttons and they did not always react when pressed (poor QA), problem in this scenario if your controller is a failed QA the whole unit needs to be replaced.

All the input comes in daughterboards so it's easy to replace. You can even replace the original resistive sticks for magnetic ones. Except for the battery the thing is very easy to repair.

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
I believe Valve said that the vast majority, maybe 90%, of Steam Decks sold were the $650 version. A $750 to $900 device with the right hardware and or features probably would do well if marketed properly.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
You can expand it with a microSD (or several) or a m.2 2230 SSD replacement.

It was rather unpopular when no one knew if you could upgrade the storage and the microSD performance was in doubt. Along the line it will be the best bang for the buck when 2230 SSDs drop in price and microSD performance is OK.

It certainly isn't. Valve should have been more open about it and put a notice when finally buying the unit.

All the input comes in daughterboards so it's easy to replace. You can even replace the original resistive sticks for magnetic ones. Except for the battery the thing is very easy to repair.
Ok so the steam page I looked at is out of date then as says not upgradable, thats good to hear,

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
Ok so the steam page I looked at is out of date then as says not upgradable, thats good to hear,
Valve says the storage is not upgradable because they don't want to be liable if you damage your device while upgrading. Valve also released a video of how to replace the storage while saying that you should not do this with a wink and a nod. The Steam Deck is fairly easy to modify. Some people are replacing their joysticks with more premium options.