• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Folio Photonics Announces Breakthrough Multi-Layer Optical Disc Storage: 10 TB for $50

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
Folio Photonics, a leading pioneer of immutable active archive, today announced that it has achieved a significant breakthrough in multi-layer optical storage disc technology that will enable an unprecedented level of cost, security and sustainability advantage. Leveraging patented advancements in materials science, Folio Photonics has developed the first economically viable, enterprise-scale optical storage discs with dynamic multi-layer write/read capabilities, which will enable the development of radically low-cost/high-capacity disc storage.

"Folio Photonics is on a path to engendering far greater data densities than was thought possible several years ago," said John Monroe, lead analyst at Furthur Market Research and former VP analyst in the data center infrastructure group at Gartner. "Using next-generation materials, patented polymer extrusion, and film-based disc construction processes (distinct from mere optical layering), in concert with customized optical pickup units (OPUs), Folio Photonics appears poised to deliver a new optical technology that enables eight or 16 film layers per side per disc, as opposed to only three optical layers per side per disc for archival discs today, with a roadmap to add additional layers over time."

Data growth is overwhelming existing storage technologies, and today's outdated enterprise storage technologies fail to address three key pain points of cost, cybersecurity and sustainability. The high cost of storage is untenable with exploding data growth, cyber threats continue to escalate, and data centers are a major contributor to energy/water usage and CO2 emissions. Current hard disk drive (HDD) and LTO tape roadmaps reflect insufficient technological advancement to meet user needs and desired price points in the future.

Folio's technology milestone proves the feasibility of its materials, manufacturing and optics and shifts the company from the research phase to product development. With disc availability targeted for 2024, Folio's multi-layer disc capacity is expected to start at 10 TB per cartridge (1 TB per disc) with an aggressive roadmap to multi-TB capacities. The roadmap is enabled by the addition layers due to its easily scalable polymer co-extrusion process as well as significant increases in capacity per layer.

"Our talented engineering team - under the leadership of founder and CIO Dr. Kenneth Singer - has pioneered a fresh approach to optical storage that overcomes historical constraints and puts unheard of cost, cybersecurity and sustainability benefits within reach," said Steven Santamaria, Folio Photonics CEO. "With these advantages, Folio Photonics is poised to reshape the trajectory of archive storage."

Folio Photonics optical discs will provide a powerful combination of game-changing characteristics that make data archives ACTIVE.

Folio Photonics is well positioned to be a leader in the archival storage market, projected to be $10B+1, 2.68+2 Zettabytes in 2025. It plans to start with adoption in the immutable active archive use case and expand to become a standard for all archive data. Folio's manufacturing advantages drive room for significant channel/partner margin and profitability and position the company for sustainable growth and continued investment in the business.

"Archival storage data comprises up to 80 percent of all data according to industry estimates, and Folio Photonics is in a strong position to be a leading player in this large, fast-growing market," said Fred Moore, president, Horison Information Strategies. "Archival data is typically unchanging, presenting itself as 'write once' and requiring immutability. At the same time, artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning (ML) and Big Data analytics are increasing activity and accessibility requirements for archival storage systems. As a result, the demand for immutable active archives will only increase as immutability and higher performance requirements reshape the exploding secondary storage paradigm."

Unlike tape, Folio Photonics ACTIVE archive storage will provide random access to archives to ensure effective data retrieval. Unlike HDD, its ACTIVE archive storage is Immutable by Design and offers a 5X lower acquisition price - roughly $25/TB for HDDs and less than $5/TB for Folio. Folio Photonics discs are highly sustainable and will provide 80 percent power savings over HDDs. In addition, its ACTIVE archive storage is not vulnerable to electromagnetic pulse (EMP) attacks, offers an air gap to ensure cybersecurity and provides a media lifespan of 100 years.

"Folio's next-generation storage media will radically reduce the upfront cost and TCO while making data archives active, cybersecure, and sustainable - an ideal combination for data center and hyperscale customers. We believe that it will disrupt and reenergize the multi-billion-dollar data storage industry with its breakthrough financial and sustainability upside," added Santamaria.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

I've seen many promising technologies that look revolutionary on paper, despite the promises they never become real products and usually only serve as a front to extract money from investors.

Let me know when the product exists and I can buy it..

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
I've seen many promising technologies that look revolutionary on paper, despite the promises they never become real products and usually only serve as a front to extract money from investors.

This looks like something that humans can actually manufacture, not some kind of science fiction. LTO-10 comes out in 2024-2025 probably, it's what these new discs will compete against if they will be available in the same time frame. It's not impossible.

This sounds like something that won't be marketed to home users, but if it is, $5/TB sounds pretty amazing. Back in my day, we used to store our "media collections" on CD-Rs and later DVD-Rs. I still have a box somewhere with many spindles full of those discs. I wonder if there would be a place for those 10TB cartridges for media hoarders in today's world.

That DOES indeed look interesting.

I hope it won't suffer from readability issues down the road like current optical disks do.

This sounds like something that won't be marketed to home users, but if it is, $5/TB sounds pretty amazing. Back in my day, we used to store our "media collections" on CD-Rs and later DVD-Rs. I still have a box somewhere with many spindles full of those discs. I wonder if there would be a place for those 10TB cartridges for media hoarders in today's world.
And if it is enterprise based, the media will be cheap but the hardware will be thousands. Just look at lto tape drives...

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64

I remember some years ago there was an article in a magazine I read about a company that designed (or was in the process of designing) and cube shaped storage medium that would sit in the palm of your hand. Data was to be read/written using multiple lasers to access data at any point inside the cube. It was supposed to revolutionize data storage due to the massive amount it could hold and the speed info could be read/written. Clearly nothing came from it, that I know of.....I don't know how practical it would have even been for a personal computer, but it sure did look and sound cool.

It'll be interesting to see what comes of this disc technology.

I remember some years ago there was an article in a magazine I read about a company that designed (or was in the process of designing) and cube shaped storage medium that would sit in the palm of your hand. Data was to be read/written using multiple lasers to access data at any point inside the cube. It was supposed to revolutionize data storage due to the massive amount it could hold and the speed info could be read/written. Clearly nothing came from it, that I know of.....I don't know how practical it would have even been for a personal computer, but it sure did look and sound cool.

It'll be interesting to see what comes of this disc technology.
Do you mean this one?

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Do you mean this one?
I read that too! geez thats an old read. There was a theory (never manifested) about using crystal prisms at one time (Superman didnt want to share that tech...).

BTW @TheLostSwede did they send that to you/TPU or did you find it? If the later, good find!:D:respect:

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w

Some of these tech are not intended to the end user in the first place, they target data centres, enterprises & large organisations where they need to archive large amount of data, sometimes to be accessed once in several years.

Consumers stopped using data tapes decades ago, yet they're still popular among companies for archival purposes. Yes some people have these at home as a part of their homelabs, and some might actually use them, but mostly they acquired it second hand as initial cost is high for any home user.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
10TB by 2024 when HDD manufacturers are promising at least triple that capacity by then. It may be 1/5 the cost of HDDs today but will that still be true in 2 years' time?

There's also zero mention of performance here, yes for archive purposes that doesn't matter as much but it still matters.

System Name Fujitsu Siemens, HP Workstation
Processor Athlon x2 5000+ 3.1GHz, i5 2400
Motherboard Asus
Memory 4GB Samsung
Video Card(s) rx 460 4gb
Storage 750 Evo 250 +2tb
Display(s) Asus 1680x1050 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) Pioneer
Power Supply 430W
Mouse Acme
Keyboard Trust
Geting cheap 5TB disk for old optical disk reader would be great. 5TB disk in DVD RW drive for backup

This was already a planned new tech back in 2006:

Nothing came out of it.
Just like nothing comes out of the revolutionary new battery technology we hear about once every year for the past 20 years.

Here's hoping this one will turn out different, but I'm not really interested until we have actual drives to purchase.

10TB by 2024 when HDD manufacturers are promising at least triple that capacity by then. It may be 1/5 the cost of HDDs today but will that still be true in 2 years' time?

There's also zero mention of performance here, yes for archive purposes that doesn't matter as much but it still matters.
High capacity HDDs don't need to be filled with helium or something and only last for five years?

Yeah, the time they release this, the price of 10tb will be around 10 usd or less, right now is around 180 usd.

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Nice!

All I'll be interested in (besides the obvious: market availability) is the historical drawback of all home-burned optical media: data retention over long periods of time.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
Do you mean this one?

Nice read, but that wasn't the one I remember reading. The article I read sounded more like this one, The Opticube:

Anyway, lots of interesting ideas have come and gone....

Nice!

All I'll be interested in (besides the obvious: market availability) is the historical drawback of all home-burned optical media: data retention over long periods of time.
That's been solved for a while. Chemistry formulations on recordable media are very stable and have been for more than a few decades. The key is recording speed. The slower the more stable.

EDIT: A few decades, had to look something up before stating that.

Last edited:
Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
That's been solved for a while. Chemistry formulations on recordable media are very stable and have been for more than a decade. The key is recording speed. The slower the more stable.
My experience with CDs has never been bad. I verified each CD in my old collection a couple years ago. Of about 100 CDs, about 5 were bad, mostly Maxell branded. ALL of the bad ones had visible signs of deterioration - silver layer peeling off (or at least changing colour) near the edge. Only part of data was unreadable, I suppose it was data written close to the edge. A CD I have in my hands right now is a Yamaha CDM12Y74 with 4x writing speed, recorded in 1997, it's visually flawless and ... let me check ... all the data is still readable. Yeah, CDs had model numbers on them back then.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
That's been solved for a while. Chemistry formulations on recordable media are very stable and have been for more than a decade. The key is recording speed. The slower the more stable.
An important thing to call out is that modern optical media is not the same as CDs in the past. Blu-ray is far more resilient to disk rot because the reflective layer is a silver alloy unlike DVDs and CDs where it's aluminum, which is much more reactive to things you'd find in the atmosphere, like oxygen.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Essential Mercury White
Keyboard Redragon Shiva Lunar White
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
Pass. Even for archival, optical media is the last thing i'd be looking at nowadays.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
The key is the hardware. The media might be cheaper but how much is the hardware?

unlike DVDs and CDs where it's aluminum, which is much more reactive to things you'd find in the atmosphere, like oxygen.
CD's maybe, but not DVD's. DVD's are sandwiched together between two layers of plastic. As long as the glue layer stays sealed(and it's nearly impossible to break those seals without using force that would destroy the disc anyway), degradation is extremely unlikely. DVD's are as physically hardy as BluRay discs, just without the antiscratch coating. So that concern really isn't something to worry about.

The key is the hardware. The media might be cheaper but how much is the hardware?
It will not be very expensive once adoption takes place. Even if the consumer drive turns out to be a few hundred, worth it!

Pass. Even for archival, optical media is the last thing i'd be looking at nowadays.
Suit yourself. Kinda narrow thinking but whatever.. Think about it, 10TB(that's 10,000 gigabytes) for $50. You're not getting that amount of space in an SSD, cloud storage or even HDD's for anywhere near that price. Let those facts sink in. Yes, yes.

Last edited: