• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft's Activision-Blizzard Acquisition Hits UK and EU Regulatory Hurdles

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Microsoft's USD $68.7 billion acquisition of Activision-Blizzard is running into hurdles with competition regulators in both the UK and the EU, with both Brussels and London hinting at a thorough investigation into the impact the acquisition will have on competition in their respective markets. Microsoft is already a game publisher under Microsoft Games Studio, and makes at least two leading gaming platforms—the Xbox and Windows PC; whereas Activision-Blizzard own a constellation of dozens of game developers, and a mountain of IP over some of the most valuable game franchises of all time.

Britain's Competition and Markets Authority has hinted that the acquisition warrants a "second-phase investigation" since it has concerns that the deal would "result in a substantial lessening of competition within a market or markets in the United Kingdom." Over in Brussels, the EU market regulators, too, are taking a closer look at what the deal could entail for European consumers. Sony Computer Entertainment is particularly unhappy with the acquisition, and is the primary source of opposition to the deal that's invoked by regulators. Sony fears that with this acquisition, Microsoft will be in a position to deny popular game franchises such as "Call of Duty" to the PlayStation platform, and will have too much control over whether Sony can deliver an experience comparable or better than that of the Xbox.

Many Thanks to DeathtoGnomes for the tip.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

I can't understand why Microsoft is allowed to buy more companies? In the end it will become like a black hole that will suck everything and that will be the end...

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I understand where the UK and EU are coming from. MS has a bad habit of monopolistic practices. I'm not saying they are a monopoly in the OS department though. There is always Linux but for the vast majority Linux has a very small adoption rate outside of servers.

I hope the deal goes through. Aquisitions of of game studios by Microsoft in recent years have had pretty positive outcomes overall. Out of all the large publishers, I think Microsoft is the most customer centric. They are also in a position where they are able to breathe new life in some of the IP that Acti-Blizz have shelved in favour of immediate profits.

I hope the deal goes through. Aquisitions of of game studios by Microsoft in recent years have had pretty positive outcomes overall. Out of all the large publishers, I think Microsoft is the most customer centric. They are also in a position where they are able to breathe new life in some of the IP that Acti-Blizz have shelved in favour of immediate profits.
There are days, like today, when I read comments like this and am so taken aback that I stop for a brief moment to wonder: "One of us has a firm grasp on things and the other is so far out of touch with reality that we come across as hilariously delusional, but which is which?"... Very brief moment indeed...

Last edited:
System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
The only thing that will breathe life into AB is n fresh faces. M$ does do better with games than some other publishers.

There are days, like today, when I read comments like this and am so taken aback that I stop for a brief moment to wonder: "One of us is has firm grasp on things and the other is so far out of touch with reality that we come across as hilariously delusional, but which is which?"... Very brief moment indeed...
The who part is really up in the air. :p

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
Almost $70 billion!!! Really?!?!?

Sony will never be able to provide a comparable offering as long as they stick to their puritanical censorship values they've enacted in the late PS4/current PS5 era that's caused a number of game makers to shift to Xbox, PC, or even Nintendo, or release their games without pointless censorship on those platforms while Sony gets the sterilized version, even if it's just word changes.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Almost $70 billion!!! Really?!?!?

Activision Blizzard is a very profitable company but 60 billion USD is more of a fair price imo.

D

Deleted member 185088

Makes sense they'll make it difficult for Microsoft especially given their history.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
I can't understand why Microsoft is allowed to buy more companies? In the end it will become like a black hole that will suck everything and that will be the end...
Do you prefer Overlord Bezos buying it?

This dude had warned ya about capitalism:

1663339915324.png

So the Sony is objecting to the practise which they used themselves... Clever, really clever...
Huh? Sony was buying small guys and founding own studios that trounce competitors.

Microsoft went "why don't I buy the biggest juggernaut of the gaming world".

How could you seriously refer to that as the same practice?

Activision Blizzard is a very profitable company but 60 billion USD is more of a fair price imo.
If Minecraft was worth 4+ billion, AB is well worth 60.

The same job. Big corporations don't have to get bigger. I don't particularly like your grandfather ;)

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
There are days, like today, when I read comments like this and am so taken aback that I stop for a brief moment to wonder: "One of us has a firm grasp on things and the other is so far out of touch with reality that we come across as hilariously delusional, but which is which?"... Very brief moment indeed...
Tbh, it’s not like activision/blizzard by itself is a wonderful company with the interests of gamers at their heart. the worst that could happen is that they keep the exact same behaviour

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
Your point would be what?
A shit company is looking to buy another shit company, which might change nothing in the grand scheme of things besides a few more exclusive for Microsoft. Or maybe Phil Spencer is not that shitty, and blizzard might finally care about making games that are fun, and get out of the losing streak that they’ve been stuck in for a while. The current status quo is not ideal, and that might be why such a large company is looking to get acquired (even EA is looking to get acquired or merged with another company)

Huh? Sony was buying small guys and founding own studios that trounce competitors.

Microsoft went "why don't I buy the biggest juggernaut of the gaming world".

How could you seriously refer to that as the same practice?

I was talking about Sony fearing exclusivities MS would gain if the transaction went through smoothly. Sony hoards many trademarks for themselves and they get irritated when MS buys whole publishing house to have more exclusive brands himself?

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 \Paradigm 7se MKII, Paradigm 5SE MK1 , Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Tbh, it’s not like activision/blizzard by itself is a wonderful company with the interests of gamers at their heart. the worst that could happen is that they keep the exact same behaviour

As they would never act like assholes and do what they do to drive the price down so some one would buy them would they ?. ;)

I understand where the UK and EU are coming from. MS has a bad habit of monopolistic practices. I'm not saying they are a monopoly in the OS department though. There is always Linux but for the vast majority Linux has a very small adoption rate outside of servers.
Not only do they have monopoly, but they also buy our politicians and media here in EU. They gave 300 millions to media outlets like Le Monde and al in France.

Not only do they have monopoly, but they also buy our politicians and media here in EU. They gave 300 millions to media outlets like Le Monde and al in France.
What monopoly? On their own platform? It depends solely on their own will, which game/publisher will they permit on their own console. Also MS has a tradition of releasing titles on PC and XBOX both (very often at the same), a thing which cannot be said about Sony (which only started doing so recently and only with select titles).
Also do not forget about other big publishers: Ubisoft, EA, Take2, Sega, THQ Nordic, Capcom... Does aquisition of Activision-Blizzard constitutes a monopoly of market, when all those remain? IMHO, hardly.

Edit: changed word "great" for "big", for better understanding

Last edited: