• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD 4th Generation EPYC "Genoa" Processors Benchmarked

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
Yesterday, AMD announced its latest addition to the data center family of processors called EPYC Genoa. Named the 4th generation EPYC processors, they feature a Zen 4 design and bring additional I/O connectivity like PCIe 5.0, DDR5, and CXL support. To disrupt the cloud, enterprise, and HPC offerings, AMD decided to manufacture SKUs with up to 96 cores and 192 threads, an increase from the previous generation's 64C/128T designs. Today, we are learning more about the performance and power aspects of the 4th generation AMD EPYC Genoa 9654, 9554, and 9374F SKUs from 3rd party sources, and not the official AMD presentation. Tom's Hardware published a heap of benchmarks consisting of rendering, compilation, encoding, parallel computing, molecular dynamics, and much more.

In the comparison tests, we have AMD EPYC Milan 7763, 75F3, and Intel Xeon Platinum 8380, a current top-end Intel offering until Sapphire Rapids arrives. Comparing 3rd-gen EPYC 64C/128T SKUs with 4th-gen 64C/128T EPYC SKUs, the new generation brings about a 30% increase in compression and parallel compute benchmarks performance. When scaling to the 96C/192T SKU, the gap is widened, and AMD has a clear performance leader in the server marketplace. For more details about the benchmark results, go here to explore. As far as comparison to Intel offerings, AMD leads the pack as it has a more performant single and multi-threaded design. Of course, beating the Sapphire Rapids to market is a significant win for team red, so we are still waiting to see how the 4th generation Xeon stacks up against Genoa.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
A couple other sites have reviews online too by now, and one is conspicuously missing: Anandtech.

System Name IONE
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B550-A Gaming
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4
Memory 128GB (4x32GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black, PC4-25600 (3200), CMK128GX4M4E3200C16
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce RTX 3080 12GB
Storage Samsung 980 1TB NVMe (system), WD Black 1TB NVMe (temp), 16x Seagate IronWolf 10TB (RAID6 storage)
Display(s) Dell UP3017
Case Lian-Li PC-777B
Audio Device(s) Blue Sadie headphones
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Mouse Logitech M510
Keyboard Keychron Q8, brass plate, Kailh Box Summer switches and PBT Cherry keycaps
Software Xubuntu 22.04
Benchmark Scores N/A
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
A couple other sites have reviews online too by now, and one is conspicuously missing: Anandtech.
I think Anandtech is close to going out of business. Either that or their entire staff is on vacation. There hasn’t been much posted except for ‘AT’ deals. In fact, they didn’t even mention the recent Sapphire Rapids and Ponte Vecchio presentation release.

I’m not 100% sure what’s going on over there but we might be losing a long time review site.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Some reviewers (Club386, Tom's) can't refrain from giving "star ratings" to serious hardware. I find it amusing.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
I think Anandtech is close to going out of business. Either that or their entire staff is on vacation. There hasn’t been much posted except for ‘AT’ deals. In fact, they didn’t even mention the recent Sapphire Rapids and Ponte Vecchio presentation release.

I’m not 100% sure what’s going on over there but we might be losing a long time review site.
I think your right.

Perch, then Future simply don't understand what they are, nor care about their audience. They almost died when Anand left them, but now that Mr Potato has left, and hammered the last nail in the coffin, they are finished.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Dual custom loops
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 3200C14 B-Die
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6800XT Reference
Storage ADATA SX8200 480GB, Inland Premium 2TB, various HDDs
Display(s) MSI MAG341CQ
Case Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) Schiit Fulla 3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Titanium SE 1000W
Mouse Glorious Model D
Keyboard Drop CTRL, lubed and filmed Halo Trues
we are still waiting to see how the 4th generation Xeon stacks up against Genoa

Well, given that Sapphire Rapids is a Milan competitor and not a Genoa competitor, it won't be very well. The HBM-equipped models will win in some specialized workloads and fully-populated 8-socket configs will be fast, but AMD will be almost completely unchallenged at the high end.

Well, given that Sapphire Rapids is a Milan competitor and not a Genoa competitor, it won't be very well. The HBM-equipped models will win in some specialized workloads and fully-populated 8-socket configs will be fast, but AMD will be almost completely unchallenged at the high end.
You sir are correct. It’s not being widely reported but SPR was suppose to target Milan and release over a year ago. With no change in the silicon, SPR is DOA when it comes to the high end. Even Genoa-X will mitigate some of Intel’s advantages for specialized workloads.

Finally, WCCFtech has a leak of SPR pricing and its higher than AMD. That’s a good indication that Intel is also trying to hide the fact that they are outmatched.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo

I was wondering the same thing. They seem to get a fair amount of traffic based on article comments, but I don’t think they even review GPUs anymore.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
I was wondering the same thing. They seem to get a fair amount of traffic based on article comments, but I don’t think they even review GPUs anymore.
They still use the excuse of the GPU reviewer's house burning down - 2 years later. They refuse to elaborate on when GPU reviews will be coming back, saying something along the lines of "well other people review it so its fine". Also total crickets on any sort of deep dive arch review like the old days. Their last CPU review they switched to a 6950xt from their then antiquated 2080ti that they have never reviewed, so they clearly must have a bench somewhere.

Of course, I remember back when they got the new 2016 macbook pro for review, insistent a review was coming, and then just never did it. Totally dropped the ball, right there was the big indication anandtech was going down. IMO it started dying as soon as Anand left.

Anandtech has been a dead man walking for years already. Just look at their comment system straight out of 2001.

They still use the excuse of the GPU reviewer's house burning down - 2 years later. They refuse to elaborate on when GPU reviews will be coming back, saying something along the lines of "well other people review it so its fine". Also total crickets on any sort of deep dive arch review like the old days. Their last CPU review they switched to a 6950xt from their then antiquated 2080ti that they have never reviewed, so they clearly must have a bench somewhere.

Of course, I remember back when they got the new 2016 macbook pro for review, insistent a review was coming, and then just never did it. Totally dropped the ball, right there was the big indication anandtech was going down. IMO it started dying as soon as Anand left.

Anandtech has been a dead man walking for years already. Just look at their comment system straight out of 2001.
I’ve seen some dead review sites stay online presumably in order to earn the last remnants of advertising revenue. It is easy to tell if a site is dead when the last non automated article posting is greater than one month old.

Some time ago, i tried to reset my password on the forums. I got an error message onsite completely exposing their email configuration. Basicly it attempted to send me an email without any authentication as the error log was posting that. When i wrote something here and there like hey i am unable to reset my shit, and there's obvious error messages being spit out that shoud'nt be there, nobody bothered to even pick it up.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo

Yeah, it has gotten pretty rough since he left. Reminds me of winsupersite. Thurrott brought on new folks to help contribute, then he left to form his own site. Winsupersite resolved to stay online, but it’s dead now. Ironically, now that Paul has a site with his own name in it, he’s writing less and bringing in more writers to do all the news. Paul’s content is mostly behind a paywall. He’s a bit out of touch for my tastes.

The New England region of the United States
System Name Daily Driver(gaming, browsing)
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aurus Pro Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
Memory 32GB(2x16GB) Patriot Viper DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Boot/OS)|Hynix Platinum P41 2TB (Games)|Kingston KC3000 2TB (Misc)
Display(s) Gigabyte G27F
Case Corsair Graphite 600T w/mesh side
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 2.1 | cheapo gaming headset when mic is needed
Mouse Redragon M808-KS Storm Pro (Great Value)
Keyboard Redragon K512 Shiva replaced a Corsair K70 Lux - Blue on Black
VR HMD Nope
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Nope
I think your right.

Perch, then Future simply don't understand what they are, nor care about their audience. They almost died when Anand left them, but now that Mr Potato has left, and hammered the last nail in the coffin, they are finished.
That's incredibly sad for me personally. Almost twenty-five years ago, I incidentally met Anand at a CompUSA in Raleigh, NC. I was with a friend who was shopping for a 3D card. He wanted to play Everquest, and needed something good enough to run it. My friend chose an Intel i740 based card. Anand was just a kid at the time but he made some very unbiased, informed recommendations. He then asked me to check out his website. I was hooked from the very first review. I still go there once a day out of habit. Occasionally, I read something, but the embedded autoplay videos drive me nuts! It's so sad to see what Anand built die a slow, agonizing death.