• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASML's Ex-Employee in China Allegedly Stole Confidential Information

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
The Netherlands-based ASML has reportedly launched a comprehensive investigation into the company's branch in China following reports that one of its former employees allegedly stole confidential information. According to Bloomberg, the employee in question was part of a product life cycle management (PLM) program for ASML's advanced lithography solutions. Specifically, the employee worked for the Teamcenter software division responsible for lithography tool management. This software was used to create digital twins of scanners and other tools and allowed information to be shared among the company's employees. In ASML's case, the software contained all the confidential information about the scanners and how they work, which makes it a target for IP theft. We do not know if this is a China-sponsored action to boost its domestic lithography tool development; however, ASML has issued a statement below.

ASML said:
We have experienced unauthorized misappropriation of data relating to proprietary technology by a (now) former employee in China. We promptly initiated a comprehensive internal review. Based upon our initial findings we do not believe that the misappropriation is material to our business. However, as a result of the security incident, certain export control regulations may have been violated. ASML has therefore reported the incident to relevant authorities. We are implementing additional remedial measures in light of this incident.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Processor Intel Core i5 8400
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370N-Wifi
Cooling Silverstone AR05
Memory Micron Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming 8G
Storage Micron Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) Dell U2415
Case Silverstone RVZ02B
Power Supply Silverstone SSR-SX550
Keyboard Ducky One Red Switch
Software Windows 10 Pro 1909
System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
Software Windows 11 Professional x64 (Update 23H2)
"we do not know if this is a China-sponsored action" like bruh this happened in China, where theft and grift are done in broad daylight.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
They may have the schematics, but actually.
The mirrors alone will require much more rnd than most think
This isn't going to effect anything for years if at all.

I know how to make a nuke, can I though.

Serves them right. If you do business in China (or Russia) and you're IP gets stolen then you have only yourself to blame.
I have no sympathy for "businesses" who only see potential profits and go to communist/dictatorship countries and then cry when something bad happens there.

It's like insurance. Insurance wont help you if you were stupid and did stupid things.

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
Serves them right. If you do business in China (or Russia) and you're IP gets stolen then you have only yourself to blame.
I have no sympathy for "businesses" who only see potential profits and go to communist/dictatorship countries and then cry when something bad happens there.

It's like insurance. Insurance wont help you if you were stupid and did stupid things.
Businesses love dictatorships, why do you think they and their interests were a major part of most of the coup d'etat during the cold War, heck, Mussolini even said fascism should actually be called "corporatism" because it's a merger of state and corporate power....why do you think they love doing business in China and why they continue to do so even with all the IP theft? Dictatorships mean tight control of the labor force and therefore more profitable exploitation of that labor by business interests, we're all familiar with the stories about the working conditions at Foxconn, for example. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the business just consider the IP theft as "spillage/breakage", "the cost of doing business", etc since all the other benefits are so substantial.

What's interesting is that currently there are major companies beginning to look towards India as labor in China is becoming more expensive, Apple is currently one of these companies. At the same time, Modi is constantly increasing and consolidating his power and the power of the state (for example, Indian authorities actually raided BBC offices in India because they aired a documentary critical of Modi....silencing the press for being critical of the government is a hallmark of authoritarianism) which only makes it even more attractive to business interest....coincidence?

Last edited:
Low quality post by Prima.Vera
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Gross generalisation, bordering on racism.
Unfortunately the Asian companies, such as ones from China, Japan, or South Korea, only know how to steal proprietary IP in order to technologically progress further. This is just another day in China, nothing special.

Low quality post by Chomiq
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Unfortunately the Asian companies, such as ones from China, Japan, or South Korea, only know how to steal proprietary IP in order to technologically progress further.
You what mate?

Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390-A
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition PWM
Memory G.Skill DDR4 RipjawsV 3200MHz 16GB kit
Video Card(s) Asus RTX2060 ROG STRIX GAMING
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
Case Cooler Master MasterCase H500
Power Supply SUPER FLOWER Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse BenQ Zowie FK1+-B
Keyboard Cherry KC 1000
Software Win 10
If you do business in China
huh? If you're in tech and don't do business in China you don't exist.

You live in a bubble, a very judgemental bubble

You what mate?
He lives in a childish 2-bit dreamworld where
west = good (actually perfect)
rest = bad

At that point it would be better not to have any arm in China.

It's also unfair to compare theft protected by a Chinese dictatorship to countries like Japan and Korea that have great companies and actively develop technology that we all use.

And... Yes, dictatorship and theft is bad, are there any kids here who don't understand that?

System Name Liquid 2022
Processor Intel i7-12700k
Motherboard Asus Strix Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4
Cooling Custom loop with 9x120mm radiator area
Memory Team 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4@4133 C18-18-18
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce RTX 2080ti on nickel Heatkiller IV block with Aluminum backplate
Storage 10TB SSD: Samsung 970 PRO 512GB (OS), Samsung 980 PRO 2TB, ADATA SX8200 PRO 2TB/500GB, 4TB/1TB MX500
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 1440p G-SYNC, Samsung Odyssey
Case Phanteks ENTHOO 719 (grey)
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5, Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Power Supply Cooler Master V1200, custom sleeved white cables
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (maybe 11 soon?)
Shocked! Next thing we'll find out is that water's wet...

Unfortunately the Asian companies, such as ones from China, Japan, or South Korea, only know how to steal proprietary IP in order to technologically progress further. This is just another day in China, nothing special.

Nah, Japan and South Korea are technological powerhouses all on their own right. China though.. yeah, IP theft and reverse engineering is cheaper and easier than R&D

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550i pro ax
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black (with original fans)
Memory G.skill 32GB 3200MHz
Video Card(s) 4060ti 16GB
Storage 1TB Samsung PM9A1, 256GB Toshiba pcie3 (from a laptop), 512GB crucial MX500, 2x 1TB Toshiba HDD 2.5
Display(s) Mateview GT 34''
Case Thermaltake the tower 100, 1 noctua NF-A14 ippc3000 on top, 2 x Arctic F14
Power Supply Seasonic focus-GX 750W
Software Windows 10, Ubuntu when needed.
So, actually we have some saying "It is right to put sanctions on them, look what they are doing" while others saying "It is right what they are doing, look at the sanctions we put on them". where is the truth?

And... Yes, dictatorship and theft is bad, are there any kids here who don't understand that?
Do you really expect someone will ever live under technologic supremacy for all the time? Or, sooner or later, they will understand how to make boiling water? (also, let's point out there is one way of making boiling water, all the world use the same, energy transfer, think about that).

System Name Home
Processor Ryzen 3600X
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk 450 MAX
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4 CAS 16
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700XT EVOKE OC
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB
Display(s) ASUS VA326HR + MSI Optix G24C4
Case MSI - MAG Forge 100M
Power Supply Aerocool Lux RGB M 650W
So, actually we have some saying "It is right to put sanctions on them, look what they are doing" while others saying "It is right what they are doing, look at the sanctions we put on them". where is the truth?

Do you really expect someone will ever live under technologic supremacy for all the time? Or, sooner or later, they will understand how to make boiling water? (also, let's point out there is one way of making boiling water, all the world use the same, energy transfer, think about that).
They were doing IP theft way before sanctions began, most companies that I know of never complained publicly, either chose to close their eyes, or to relocate sensitive workflows.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550i pro ax
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black (with original fans)
Memory G.skill 32GB 3200MHz
Video Card(s) 4060ti 16GB
Storage 1TB Samsung PM9A1, 256GB Toshiba pcie3 (from a laptop), 512GB crucial MX500, 2x 1TB Toshiba HDD 2.5
Display(s) Mateview GT 34''
Case Thermaltake the tower 100, 1 noctua NF-A14 ippc3000 on top, 2 x Arctic F14
Power Supply Seasonic focus-GX 750W
Software Windows 10, Ubuntu when needed.
They were doing IP theft way before sanctions began
I'm not discussing this. I'm discussing about the fact now it's somehow "intensified" w.r.t past, at least at media level. And I'm discussing about the fact that sooner or later they will learn how to make chips with the same techniques, cause if there is a common practice (and there is one) on how to make silicon printing production, they will exploit that one for sure. There is no other possibility. Also this is encouraged by sanctions and political positions (and the reason of this is pretty clear). There is no way you can stop their developments, in the end they will possibly diverge one day after some autonomous decisions, but first they have to develop at the same level. Consider, it is not that different from the time other nations developed nuclear bombs after US succeed developing the first. And like it happened that time, there is no way to stop, also because we are not talking about bombs here.

I'm not discussing this. I'm discussing about the fact now it's somehow "intensified" w.r.t past, at least at media level. And I'm discussing about the fact that sooner or later they will learn how to make chips with the same techniques, cause if there is a common practice (and there is one) on how to make silicon printing production, they will exploit that one for sure. There is no other possibility. Also this is encouraged by sanctions and political positions (and the reason of this is pretty clear). There is no way you can stop their developments, in the end they will possibly diverge one day after some autonomous decisions, but first they have to develop at the same level. Consider, it is not that different from the time other nations developed nuclear bombs after US succeed developing the first. And like it happened that time, there is no way to stop, also because we are not talking about bombs here.
They won't succeed without stealing or infringing on someone's intellectual property, certain things can only be efficient if produced in X way, there are no infinite ways to reach the same result and they know that, this is the reason for technology theft.

You are comparing apples to oranges.

System Name Trackstar
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D -30 All Core CO (on Corsair XC5 block)
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 AORUS Elite V2 Rev 1.0 (F16f BIOS)
Cooling Corsair XD5 pump / Corsair XR5 1x 360mm (front) + 1x 420mm (top) rads
Memory 32GB G.Skill DDR4-3600 CL14 (F4-3600C14Q-32GVKA)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6950XT OC Formula (on Bykski A-AR6900XTOCF-X block)
Storage WD_BLACK SN850X 2TB w/HS
Display(s) Dell S3222DGM 32" 1440p/165Hz
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1200 Integrated Audio
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1200W / Liebert GXT4-1500RT120 UPS
Mouse Corsair Nightsword RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60 RGB PRO
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/sw/439846 https://www.3dmark.com/fs/29315810
Steal from me once, shame on you. Steal from me 3,847 times....

1676646684996.png

System Name Home
Processor Ryzen 3600X
Motherboard MSI Tomahawk 450 MAX
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4 CAS 16
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700XT EVOKE OC
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB
Display(s) ASUS VA326HR + MSI Optix G24C4
Case MSI - MAG Forge 100M
Power Supply Aerocool Lux RGB M 650W
Consider that it is intensified now because now (some) companies are feeling empowered to speak up instead of just brushing stuff under the rug.

Also, the whole idea of the sanctions is not to prevent them from getting to the same place as the US and the western world. They will get there regardless, if they pay the R&D price. But the R&D price is great and, if they actually have to do the R&D instead of just stealing IP, they will have to choose their battles and will not be capable to advance in leaps on all fronts.

So it will not stop them from actually discovering boiling water, they will just have to do their honest work like everybody else to get there. And when they do that, guess what, it will take longer and it will leave them less money to put in their armies, or in buying land from poor third world countries (the so called belt and road initiative).

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
System Name Uzuki Toune
Processor AMD RYZEN 7 7700X (ASUS PBO 90C Mode)
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X670E-E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Thermalright Frostspirit 140 White V3 ARGB
Memory 32GB DDR6000 CL36 Kingston (EXPO)(16GBx2)
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 1050TI
Storage 2TB Kingston KC3000 + 1TB Crucial P2 + 480GB Samsung Evo 850 + 480GB Kingston A400
Display(s) Dell U2723QE + Philips 221V8 (Portrait)
Case NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) Auzen X-FI Forte + Onboard Realtek 4080 -> Creative Gigaworks T40II
Power Supply EVGA G+ 650W
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3 (Work) & G103 (Play)
Keyboard iRocks K71M
Software Windows 11 Professional

Just so you know, they are not the ones complaining or crying. IF you READ the article THOROUGHLY, you would then know that they have already stated that it doesn't affect them whatsoever. They are only reporting it out of obligation due to xenophobic laws made by those politicians you people voted for. The ones that are crying are your politicians that think without their technological superiority, they can't take over the world. Technology that is not even theirs, they just have the biggest mouths in the world so they have the right to monopolize them all they want, because if they couldn't they would just scream and cry even more.