• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Announces Deepak Patil as New Leader of GPU Division

T0@st

News Editor
Staff member
Intel has appointed Deepak Patil as the new corporate vice president and general manager of its Accelerated Computing Systems and Graphics (AXG) group. Patil is set to succeed Raja Koduri in this leadership role - company CEO Pat Gelsinger was the first person to announce news (last month) of Koduri's departure from Intel. At the time of his leaving Team Blue, Koduri's official job title was "Executive Vice President and Chief Architect" so the wording of his successor's executive ranking is slightly different. Patil is the current chief technology and strategy officer at the Intel Data Center and AI Group, and was previously senior vice president at Dell APEX USA. He will be taking over directly from interim AXG division leader Jeff McVeigh.

The official Intel statement regarding its new leadership appointment states: "Intel will deliver competitive accelerated computing products and build scalable systems with easy-to-program software on a predictable cadence. Deepak Patil will serve as the CVP and General Manager of the Accelerated Computing Systems and Graphics (AXG) group. Deepak recently held the position of DCAI Chief Technology and Strategy Officer. Having held senior engineering leadership positions across the high-tech industry, including being a founding member of Microsoft Azure and leading Dell's APEX as-a-service business, he understands the important role that software and open ecosystems play in enabling application developers and service providers to bring innovative solutions to market, at scale."

The statement continues: "His rich systems, software and services experience will build on the deep silicon and graphics architecture and engineering expertise in AXG, to accelerate the growth of Intel's position in the AI, HPC and client graphics markets. Jeff McVeigh will return to leading the Super Compute Group while also helping Deepak ramp in his new role." Intel has implemented several internal restructures in recent times - Koduri's AXG Graphics Unit was a notable example - late last year it was split into two groups. Patil will likely face much scrutiny from peers (and outsiders) as he steers the reformed graphics hardware group, but Intel seems to be committed to the project - reports from earlier this month suggest that Team Blue has invested heavily in next generation discrete GPU architectures - Battlemage and Celestial.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock through Kryosheet
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 40
Does he have some vague experience leading a team designing a GPU really? Somebody maybe knows.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Does he have some vague experience leading a team designing a GPU really? Somebody maybe knows.
I don't believe he has GPU expertise, but he's been in engineering leadership at Intel for a while. I'm not sure how that's going to turn out.

Processor Intel i7 77OOK
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus something
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S dual fan
Memory Ballistix 32 Go
Video Card(s) MSI 3060 Gaming X
Storage Mixed bag of M2 SSD and SATA SSD
Display(s) MSI 34" 3440x1440 Artimys 343CQR
Case Old Corsair Obsidian something
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Old Antec HCG 620 still running good
Mouse Steelseries something
Keyboard Steelseries someting too
Benchmark Scores bench ? no time to lose with bench ! :)
At least, they don't kill the GPU division, and that's a good news !

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
His background is cloud computing although he's there more to lead than to design.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
I don't believe he has GPU expertise, but he's been in engineering leadership at Intel for a while. I'm not sure how that's going to turn out.

sometimes its a good thing to have a boss who is not really all that knowledge about the product but good at directing and management and listening to the experts, if he fits that role Intel could be in good shape.

Last edited:
System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock through Kryosheet
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 40
sometimes its a good thing to have a boss who is not really all that knowledge about the product, but good and directing and management and listening to the experts, if he fits that role Intel could be in good shape.

With all those Intel experts we can get only another larrabee again.

I am rather skeptical on this, may he pardon me, I wish him only luck for the sake of competition.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
sometimes its a good thing to have a boss who is not really all that knowledge about the product but good at directing and management and listening to the experts, if he fits that role Intel could be in good shape.
I know nothing about him but I very much agree with this general remark. He also needs to be very good at communication, upwards, downwards, sideways, diagonally, outwards, there are many parties involved. For one, communicating with engineers is hard, with very talented ones it's even harder.

Hah, and being at Intel, he should be able to draw a complete diagram of the corporate structure, at least the top three levels, with full job titles of every single person, even if somebody wakes him up in the middle of the night. Nah, that's too much to ask for, let's make it two levels.

Processor Celeron G5905, I3 10100, I5 10400F, I7 10700F
Motherboard Asrock H410, B460, B560, Gigabyte B560
Cooling Zalman CNPS80G
Memory each System 16 or 32GB: Kingston 2666 CL12, 2933 CL14
Video Card(s) Arc A380/A770, IGP
Storage SSD and some HDD
Display(s) Philips 24inch 1080p 165Hz IPS and 32 inch 1440p 165Hz VA
Case Antec, Corsair, Nanoxia
Audio Device(s) Different AVR, Speakers: Klipsch, Polk .....
Power Supply FSP, Deepcool
Mouse Logitech G
Keyboard Logitech G
Software Win 10, Bodhi Linux, Deepin
Anything would be better than Kodurj, he sucks very hard at AMD and wasnt good by Intel.

Its time for a new Face.

System Name G-Station 1.17 FINAL
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
Cooling DeepCool AK620 Digital
Memory Asgard Bragi DDR4-3600CL14 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX
Storage 240GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB Asgard AN2, 2TB Hiksemi FUTURE-LITE, 320GB+1TB 7200RPM HDD
Display(s) Samsung 34" Odyssey OLED G8
Case Thermaltake Level 20 MT
Audio Device(s) Astro A40 TR + MixAmp
Power Supply Cougar GEX X2 1000W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite (Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro
Hah, and being at Intel, he should be able to draw a complete diagram of the corporate structure, at least the top three levels, with full job titles of every single person, even if somebody wakes him up in the middle of the night. Nah, that's too much to ask for, let's make it two levels.
Being at Intel, he should be able do draw a complete roadmap of his division products, at least three generations ahead, with full scalability for every single market, even if someone messes up and forces delays and roadmaps over other roadmaps.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
GPU is dead. If Intel was going to make a strategic investment in GPU they would have said so in their statement. No. They talk about AI and predictable scaleable accelerated compute cadence for “easy to program” software for developers. That aint GPU.

Wye

Sometimes yes. Sometimes not.

About purely non technical managers:
  • They are good at making the employees happy and focusing on social connections.
  • They are unable to make any decisions by themselves.
  • They are serial meeting spawners, wasting everyone's time and hiding beneath someone else decision.
  • They are unable to evaluate the value of experts, so they approve them based on power and influence.
The best managers are those that are able to successfully combine technical and managerial skills. Those who know when they can respond with a decision in 2 seconds or if it's worth a meeting time slot with one or multiple persons to get the right/whole perspective.
The key is to find the right balance for each unique situation.

JustJohnny

With a deep background in cloud infrastructure since 2009 Azure, Deepak Patil is out of his element here and severely lacks the necessary hardware design experience.

Having held senior engineering leadership positions across the high-tech industry
His profile says otherwise PR folks. Zero engineering positions in sight.

He must be a great team builder. All the best to ya.

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
GPU is dead. If Intel was going to make a strategic investment in GPU they would have said so in their statement. No. They talk about AI and predictable scaleable accelerated compute cadence for “easy to program” software for developers. That aint GPU.
That is the new leader's background, not their focus. It's probably the closest they have to somebody with GPU chops; somebody who has worked in the HPC space.

His profile says otherwise PR folks. Zero engineering positions in sight.

He must be a great team builder. All the best to ya.
To be fair, a lot of engineering leaders I work with are no longer engineers, hence the fact that they're in a leadership position. Usually in this area there are two tracks, the people track and the technical track. If you're a manager, managing directory or some other executive/senior leadership person, then you've chosen the people track. That's how these things work. People who choose the technical track are not managing an entire program, that's not in the scope of their job as a technical resource.

Why does Intel have to follow this strict, stupid rule of raising the guy underneath?
AXG needs an engineering guru at the top, not a guy with great "software expertise" at Dell and Microsoft.

JustJohnny

To be fair, a lot of engineering leaders I work with are no longer engineers, hence the fact that they're in a leadership position.

To no longer be an engineer, one must be in such role in the first place. This individuals profile doesn't show an engineering background, at least not one that would be applicable to their new role. Not saying it's a requirement, but in my experience it is definitely a valuable asset.

Being at Intel, he should be able do draw a complete roadmap of his division products, at least three generations ahead, with full scalability for every single market, even if someone messes up and forces delays and roadmaps over other roadmaps.
So you want him to be strange?