• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steam On Linux Restores Hardware Acceleration by Default for NVIDIA GPUs

T0@st

News Editor
Staff member
A previous attempt to enable NVIDIA GPU video hardware acceleration by default within Steam running on Linux platforms was thwarted by numerous bugs and faults - adopters of the mid-May Steam Client Beta update reported their experiences of various crashes encountered in Valve's user interface. The embattled software engineering team has since investigated this matter and released a new update (yesterday).

The June 6th Steam Client Beta patch notes list a number of general improvements along with Linux-specific adjustments: "a crash when Steam windows were closed with hardware (HW) acceleration enabled on NVIDIA GPUs" and the re-enabling of "HW acceleration by default for NVIDIA GPUs." Early reports indicate that Linux gamers are having a smoother time after installing yesterday's update.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
Valve is the best thing to have ever happened to Linux gaming. I am excited for them to release the new SteamOS for general use.

So you could install it on any PC like Mint or Ubuntu ? that's so cool, i will keep an eye on this.
as far as I know it's already out but not really necessary to install it since you can use it functions on other distros.

kacperoo29

So you could install it on any PC like Mint or Ubuntu ? that's so cool, i will keep an eye on this.
If you want to try experience that's basically the same as SteamOS 3.0 I recommend HoloISO. It's a community made distro that is functionally identical to SteamOS, but can be installed on other machines.