• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple Game Porting Toolkit Brings DirectX 12 Titles to macOS

Fruity tax is applicable if the game is sold through the Apple store. It is not a must for MacOS.
MacOS in my opinion is not popular for game developers because the market share is very low, relative to Windows. And gamers will not flock to Mac due to prohibitive cost, again compared to Windows system. You can't upgrade as you like as most components are soldered on. I don't think i would like to buy a brand new Mac each time I want to upgrade SSD, RAM or even GPU. Even the so called "upgradeable" SSD is proprietary. So overall, MacOS based systems won't be seeing much growth for serious gaming.

Agreed with your with apple tax but people that play consoles also can't upgrade RAM, GPU. Storage just started to be upgradable with current gen consoles.

The real problem with mac as gaming is High End AAA games, cyberpunk and crysis are out of the equation because a hardcore gamer won't buy a $7000 mac pro with about 4070 performance just to play cyberpunk.

System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
Guys Apple isn’t trying to win l33t pc gamers to macs they just built custom wine for arm so that mac users have less to complain about/more to do with their pc

If they wanted to turn macs into a gaming platform they could’ve just bought ea and forced the question

Last edited:
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Fruity tax is applicable if the game is sold through the Apple store
And do you REALLY think apple would ever allow games made for their rigs to be sold/downloaded from anywhere other than their store thereby missing out on all that moolah ? yea right....

And as for mac marketshare, that would be the main driving factor behind all of this, to get moar, moar, moar....

But you are correct on the upgradability & pricing issues, which has ALWAYS held them back, relative to windblowz machines, so that's not really a new issue, but your point is a valid one nonetheless :D

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) ViewSonic VA2406-MH 75Hz
Case Bitfenix Nova Midi
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Logitech G300s
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 24.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
And do you REALLY think apple would ever allow games made for their rigs to be sold/downloaded from anywhere other than their store thereby missing out on all that moolah ? yea right....
They already do, and have been for ages. Steam, Origin, and GoG support macOS.

And it's very unlikely they'd change that. Not with every major market pushing for open digital marketplaces.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro

And as for mac marketshare, that would be the main driving factor behind all of this, to get moar, moar, moar....

But you are correct on the upgradability & pricing issues, which has ALWAYS held them back, relative to windblowz machines, so that's not really a new issue, but your point is a valid one nonetheless :D
Ah, yes. The same Apple who already lost in court in the EU and is now forced to adopt sideloading to enable third party stores on iOS, is going to try and lock down stores on MacOS, when they already allow the competition. I'm sure that the EU will let that roll.

wouldn't it be easier to just use vulkan or another suitable open API vs DX12

eriksan

Great. The question is, will I be able to develop DX12 applications on M1?

Jeff Strong

I fear any development that might result in more revenue being funneled to Apple. They're constantly ratcheting up their anti-consumer practices and the more powerful they become the more they'll act as a model to other brands in the market and other companies in other markets altogether.

Apple is the reification of the petty-bourgeois lifestyle
OpenCore has enabled me to get 2022's Monterey running comfortably on my 2009 cMP, with its WD 'bootable' nVme PCI drive? BUT, that's with the OLD 'Steve Jobs' upgradeable Apple! NOT the NEW petty-bourgeois Apple!

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple proprietary M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple proprietary M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary onboard 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Sonoma 14.5 (with latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
wouldn't it be easier to just use vulkan or another suitable open API vs DX12
That would make sense if Apple cared about Mac gaming.

But they don't. Their graphics APIs are optimized for their own proprietary hardware, particularly mobile devices (let's just call them iPhones to make it simple) which generate the majority of Apple revenue.

At some point, it'll simply make more sense just running GeForce NOW (which is basically Rent-A-RTX) on Macs and buy a PlayStation for the other games that don't run well on cloud services. Xbox has very few exclusives these days.

Last edited:
System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) ViewSonic VA2406-MH 75Hz
Case Bitfenix Nova Midi
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Logitech G300s
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 24.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
Their graphics APIs are optimized for their own proprietary hardware, particularly mobile devices
In Apple speak, there is no fundamental difference between mobile devices and notebooks. Metal is "optimized" for Apple silicon.

And honestly, all this talk about the graphics API is meaningless. It does not matter what API one vendor supports, so long as it provides required functionality/exposes enough hardware capability.
The sole issue with metal vs Vulkan/OpenGL is larger community and documentation, which this toolkit renders moot because it allows developers to use the latter and automatically handles conversion to the former.