• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Framework Dives Deep into Laptop 16's Alloy Construction

T0@st

News Editor
Staff member
The Framework Laptop 16 is extremely rigid and durable, while also being surprisingly light and thin through use of a combination of magnesium alloy and machined aluminium parts for the enclosure. The laptop is under 18 mm thick, which is unusually slim for a 16" high-performance, upgradeable system. If you choose to add discrete graphics using a Graphics Module, the back section of the laptop extends to just under 21 mm thick, enabling much higher thermal capacity for the GPU. This is a substantially more mechanically complex product than the Framework Laptop 13, with a larger screen size, higher performance parameters, and two new module systems with the Input Modules and Expansion Bay. With all of that, we've still achieved a clean, minimal industrial design, with no externally visible fasteners.

We've done this through careful design work, architecting the system to be made of two core mechanical parts: a molded magnesium alloy Bottom Cover and a CNC aluminium Top Cover. Both of these are items we make in collaboration with one of the most advanced enclosure manufacturers in the world, Catcher Technology. We fabricate the parts at Catcher's massive, highly-automated facility in Tainan, Taiwan, where there are vast fields of molding and milling machines.

First, let's dig into the Bottom Cover, which the Mainboard, Battery, Speakers, Input Modules and other key components install down into. This is a single, complexly structured magnesium alloy part, fabricated using a process called thixomolding. Thixomolding is an insanely cool manufacturing technique in which magnesium alloy is heated to a temperature at which it is semi-liquid and then injection molded into custom tooling. This allows for extremely precise large parts with detailed structural elements. We chose this process and material for the Bottom Cover, which is the single largest mechanical part we've ever built, to achieve high rigidity while also keeping weight low.

Magnesium alloy is lighter than the aluminium that we could otherwise use, and thixomolding a large part like this also means that we can avoid the processing time and waste material that would come with a CNC aluminium part. A CNC part would need to start as a solid block of aluminium, with the vast majority of the material being milled away, while a thixomolded magnesium part can directly be molded into the correct shape. We perform a small amount of milling for features that can't be molded and to thin certain areas further, and then use a low-VOC paint process to protect and color match the magnesium alloy. This is a short summary of a process that has dozens of individual steps.

The Top Cover of the Framework Laptop is a CNC aluminium anodized part, just like on the Framework Laptop 13 since our 12th Gen version. Because the Top Cover is thin, the CNC process works well to leverage the strength and durability of aluminium without resulting in a large quantity of waste material. The milled out material is melted down to feed back into future aluminium enclosure material. The Bottom Cover is made of 90% post-industrial recycled magnesium alloy, while the Top Cover is made of 75% post-industrial recycled aluminium. We aim to find post-consumer recycled sources for both of these in the future. In addition to these two main structural parts, there are a number of smaller plastic inner frame and cosmetic parts, along with the magnetic attach, color-customizable bezel. These are all made of 30-35% post-consumer recycled polycarbonate (PC) or PC+ABS plastics.

This deep dive barely scratches the surface of the mechanical advancements we've made with Framework Laptop 16. We'll be continuing to share more detail throughout the year on the mechanisms, materials, and manufacturing processes that let us build a 16" high-performance laptop that is simultaneously thin, robust, and refined, while remaining simple to upgrade, repair, and customize.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Imagine if they had a 'premium' version made out of titanium

Or vibranium?
Black Panther Wakanda Forever GIF by Marvel Studios

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
Man I cannot wait for this. Finally a laptop with a GPU that can have the GPU upgraded down the line. I used to attempt that back in the day with gaming laptops (Going from like a 680m to a 780m or similar) with limited success. Was hard even though they were MXM port cards and should work because the cards kept slightly changing layout and I had to figure out a way to make the head spreader work. Gave up after awhile as even the brands that claimed you could upgrade the GPU would never release updated parts/head spreaders to make them work.

I will be buying this once available! I am hoping to have an AMD version on both fronts (Though I think its gonna be Intel or AMD and Nvidia for GPU's at least at first). This, mixed with a decent 120+ hz freesync panel!

The New England region of the United States
System Name Daily Driver(gaming, browsing)
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aurus Pro Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
Memory 32GB(2x16GB) Patriot Viper DDR4-3200C16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3060 Ti
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Boot/OS)|Hynix Platinum P41 2TB (Games)|Kingston KC3000 2TB (Misc)
Display(s) Gigabyte G27F
Case Corsair Graphite 600T w/mesh side
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 2.1 | cheapo gaming headset when mic is needed
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Redragon M808-KS Storm Pro (Great Value)
Keyboard Redragon K512 Shiva replaced a Corsair K70 Lux - Blue on Black
VR HMD Nope
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Nope
Man I cannot wait for this. Finally a laptop with a GPU that can have the GPU upgraded down the line. I used to attempt that back in the day with gaming laptops (Going from like a 680m to a 780m or similar) with limited success. Was hard even though they were MXM port cards and should work because the cards kept slightly changing layout and I had to figure out a way to make the head spreader work. Gave up after awhile as even the brands that claimed you could upgrade the GPU would never release updated parts/head spreaders to make them work.

I will be buying this once available! I am hoping to have an AMD version on both fronts (Though I think its gonna be Intel or AMD and Nvidia for GPU's at least at first). This, mixed with a decent 120+ hz freesync panel!
Asus C90S were supposed to be completely upgradeable. It even ran a desktop CPU. Then at 13 months the Nvidia GPU just crapped out and oh there are no upgrades and a replacement cost half as much as a new machine. That's when I learned to reflow solder in my toaster oven. That got me another 6 months out of it. I even tried to buy similar MXM spec cards, but they were a no-go.

I want one as well, but I don't see myself buying another Nvidia graphics card, I've had my fill of their BS. An Intel or AMD CPU would be fine. AMD would be my current preference for low power applications for the obvious heat/efficiency reasons.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
I miss the old days when laptops had bottom covers for hard drive, ram and wifi that could be removed with 1 or 2 screws.....................

Pizdarenkowitch

Why not making something way similar to the chassis of mac book pro ?
This chassis is very ugly & i won't to buy it neither at very convenient price.

Why don't they cast parts (not framework per say but the laptop industry in general)? Rigidity of cnc milled meet material savings of stamping

System Name :)
Processor Intel 13700k
Motherboard Gigabyte z790 UD AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 64GB GSKILL DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage 960GB Optane 905P U.2 SSD + 4TB PCIe4 U.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz QD-OLED + Nixeus 27" IPS 1440p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) MOTU M4 - JBL 305P MKII w/2x JL Audio 10 Sealed --- X-Fi Titanium HD - Presonus Eris E5 - JBL 4412
Power Supply Silverstone 1000W
Mouse Roccat Kain 122 AIMO
Keyboard KBD67 Lite / Mammoth75
VR HMD Reverb G2 V2
Software Win 11 Pro
Why don't they cast parts (not framework per say but the laptop industry in general)? Rigidity of cnc milled meet material savings of stamping
several companies do cast parts

Why not making something way similar to the chassis of mac book pro ?
This chassis is very ugly & i won't to buy it neither at very convenient price.

The MBP chasis is part of the reason it's not upgradedable. You to repair it, you have to have the ugly.

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
Asus C90S were supposed to be completely upgradeable. It even ran a desktop CPU. Then at 13 months the Nvidia GPU just crapped out and oh there are no upgrades and a replacement cost half as much as a new machine. That's when I learned to reflow solder in my toaster oven. That got me another 6 months out of it. I even tried to buy similar MXM spec cards, but they were a no-go.

I want one as well, but I don't see myself buying another Nvidia graphics card, I've had my fill of their BS. An Intel or AMD CPU would be fine. AMD would be my current preference for low power applications for the obvious heat/efficiency reasons.
My MSI's never claimed to be upgradeable at least (I know that Alienware did, was not aware of the Asus) but the bios on the machines had no restrictions so long as they were in the same power envelope. I was able to get it to work with a ton of modifications and work (People online had different BIOS's to try etc) since at first it kept throttling due to weird power draw issues. However, the upgrade was not worth it after all that work I found out and then trying to go further was not possible because the next gen MXM cards were totally different to a point I would have had to make a new heat sync from scratch.

I am with you, really want a Ryzen based machine and I am hoping for an AMD card like the 6800 but I am not holding my breath on the card.

System Name Gamey #1 / #2
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Core i7-9700F
Motherboard Asrock B450M P4 / Asrock B360M P4
Cooling IDCool SE-226-XT / CM Hyper 212
Memory 32GB 3200 CL16 / 32GB 2666 CL14
Video Card(s) PC 6800 XT / Soyo RTX 2060 Super
Storage 4TB Team MP34 / 512G Tosh RD400+2TB WD3Dblu
Display(s) LG 32GK650F 1440p 144Hz VA
Case Corsair 4000Air / CM N200
Audio Device(s) Dragonfly Black
Power Supply EVGA 650 G3 / Corsair CX550M
Mouse JSCO JNL-101k Noiseless
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 3 TKL
Software Win 10, Throttlestop
The MBP chasis is part of the reason it's not upgradedable. You to repair it, you have to have the ugly.

Apple had upgradeable MacBook Pros (as upgradeable as a typical PC laptop) with their unibody design from 2009-2012. I have 3 of these and the 2 undented ones look pristine and enjoy memory and SSD upgrades to maintain functionality. And I could replace the batteries easily but they still run well enough. Apple simply chose to optimize for thinness at the expense of upgradeability. First the RAM went, then the screw-fastened battery, then the mostly industry-standard SSD, then even their custom form-factor SSD so 2 of the 3 parts you could typically replace were soldered in and the remaining one was a pain in the ass.

Apple could design a unibody MacBook Pro with replaceable memory, SSD, and battery if they wanted and still keep their bulk targets. They choose not to.