• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 to Release on June 29

It has the same cuda core counts and same Vram same bandwidth as the laptop 4060M so I'm guessing 5% difference in fps considering it's 100w vs 115w. Pretty underwhelming.
Except there's tonns of marketing on how DLSS and other upscaling tricks "look better than native", even from reviewers.
In my experience, DLSS 2.0 has bad blurriness in motion even in quality mode as it's basically a temporal upscaler depending on the in-game TAA to function. Of course, most reviewers used static screenshots for comparison.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
A friend of mine was nearly furious at suggestion that I can see the difference between native 4K and upscaled with DLSS - "No chance, I'm using it on 55" OLED, and there is NO DIFFERENCE!"

Then we established that he mainly games as he would on a gaming console - from comfortable distance to view the whole screen, playing fast paced shooters and role playing games mostly using controller, not keyboard and mouse. At his distance, even 1080p looked good, and by focusing on larger area of screen there's very little chance of noticing minor differences in image quality on small detail.

Then we compared it with my usage, 27" 4K screen at close distance, playing flight and racing sims where you are often focusing on small detail on screen, like target, runway, enemy, a curve in the far distance - you notice every small difference in Anti Aliasing, every drop in native resolution due to DLSS... It's similar with real time strategies and similar games with lots of small detail.

PC gaming is much more varied than console gaming. For my friend's usage, it mostly held true that even "performance DLSS" looked good.
What I take away from this is that even this early in its lifetime, DLSS already works fine for your friend.
It's not for everybody, of course. But that's why it's an option in the setting menu. It's not turned on automatically for anyone.