• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel and ASUS Agree to Term Sheet to Take Intel NUC Systems Product Line Forward

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Today, Intel announced it has agreed to a term sheet with ASUS, a global technology solution provider, for an agreement to manufacture, sell and support Intel Next Unit of Compute (NUC) 10th to 13th generations systems product line, and develop future NUC systems designs. "Our NUC systems product team delivered unique products that spurred innovation in the ultra-small form factor market. As we pivot our strategy to enable ecosystem partners to continue NUC systems product innovation and growth, our priority is to ensure a smooth transition for our customers and partners. I am looking forward to ASUS continuing to deliver exceptional products and supporting our NUC systems customers," said Sam Gao, Intel vice president and general manager of Intel Client Platform Solutions.

Intel is pivoting its strategy to enable ecosystem partners to continue NUC systems product line innovation and growth. ASUS's expertise and track record delivering industry-leading mini PCs to customers make it ideally suited to continue driving innovation and growth in NUC systems products. "Thank you, Intel, for your confidence in us to take the NUC systems product line forward. I am confident that this collaboration will enhance and accelerate our vision for the mini PC - greatly expanding our footprint in areas such as AI and AIoT," said Joe Hsieh, ASUS chief operating officer. "We are committed to ensuring the excellent support and service that NUC systems customers expect."

Under the proposed agreement, ASUS will receive a non-exclusive license to Intel's NUC systems product line designs, enabling it to manufacture and sell 10th to 13th Gen NUC systems products and develop future designs. This will enable ASUS to provide product and support continuity for Intel NUC systems customers. ASUS will establish a new business unit called ASUS NUC BU.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR / AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
The worst company to team up with.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
So, Intel stopped making NUCs because it wanted to throw a bone to ASUS, the biggest manufacturer, in an effort probably to convince ASUS to keep making more Intel based mini PCs than Ryzen based? Just a thought.
ASUS was one of the few who rushed to get into Nvidia's GeForce Partner Program, right?

ASRock Industrial produce NUC lookalikes and even use the NUC name for example the NUC BOX-1360P/D5. So a copyright dispute brewing between ASRock and Asus?

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Bad timing. They should have announced this sooner. Now everyone thinks NUC's are dead.
There's some truth in that.

I think Intel created the NUC as a demonstration vehicle, and a reference design. This way, Asus, MSI and everyone else could make similar designs, Intel-based of course, with little engineering effort. Clones, basically.
But Intel apparently trademarked the NUC name itself. Quite wrong. Instead, they should have established a certification program with some requirements regarding size, expandability, I/O etc, so that others could make boxes with the very much recognisable name on them.

And by the way - Intel also sold NUCs as bare motherboards all along, I think they were the only ones to do that, or did anyone else too?

I do question how many mini PCs/ NUC does Asus sell each year. Given that there are so many China branded mini PCs, I certainly won't bother to pay Asus for overpriced PCs. For context, I think a non-latest model but decent mini PC from say Beelink or Minisforum can cost about the same as a barebone mini PC from Asus. Understand that it is not a like for like comparison in a sense that the warranty for Beelink/ Minisforum may be a little shady, but if I can buy 2 for the same price, I think I am pretty much covered.