• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dolphin Emulator Dev Comments on Steam Removal Controversy

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
" We don't think that this incident should change anyone's view of either company."

nice politically correct thing to state but personally I think less of Valve as a result, here you have an absolute juggernaut of a company with long standig ties to PC gaming and the whole community around it.
Heck some of the best selling games of all time came from community made mods.... and they not only cowered before bully Nintendo, they basically asked for it before any problem from the bully company.....

yeah makes me believe Valve is a lot more suits now then anything else, the Valve we grew up with, the Valve that earned our respect is long gone, just about maximum profit now.

It's amazing how scared the industry is of Nintendo. It's not just Valve, some big hardware companies are too.
Meanwhile, we at yuzu just keep at it.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
While I do understand Nintendo position and rights........................

Where is does sucks if one has a big stack of game cube discs but the console is broken, and emu is not allowed, then they are up the creek and out all that money and left with a coaster collection

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11
I think we all know that law is selectively applied with regards to online: memes, like "surprised Pikachu" obviously violate trademark and copyright laws but everyone turns a blind eye to it.
Not really, "Fair Use" is actually very defined and cut and dry. What he did falls under fair use.

see ROCm, an obvious copy of NVidia's copyrighted CUDA. But as long as AMD didn't use any NVidia code, its perfectly legal to copy the behavior of other people's code
Technically this only exists because NVIDIA lets it, they could sue if the Oracle lawsuits over API usage are anything to base it on.

Google vs Oracle is the biggest case and still fresh on my mind. Is Google allowed to build its own Java-emulator (aka: Android / Dalvik) to run Java code, even though Java is copyrighted by Oracle / Sun? Well, duh. Copyright doesn't protect against copying behavior, as long as Google rebuilt the Dalvik virtual machine from scratch (meaning it will have its own inconsistencies and quirks against the official, original Java virtual machine), then they're in the clear. Because copyrights can't and shouldn't protect against behaviors.
That's literally the opposite of what the final ruling determined, IIRC. The final ruling was tl;dr "APIs are copyrightable"

System Name ATHENA
Processor AMD 7950X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360, 13 x Lian Li P28
Memory 2x32GB Trident Z RGB 6000Mhz CL30
Video Card(s) ASUS 4090 STRIX
Storage 3 x Kingston Fury 4TB, 4 x Samsung 870 QVO
Display(s) Acer X38S, Wacom Cintiq Pro 15
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Topping DX9, Fluid FPX7 Fader Pro, Beyerdynamic T1 G2, Beyerdynamic MMX300
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TX-1600
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 - Zy' Rail, Logitech MX Vertical, Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 + Universal Blue
Not sure why people are brigading for Nintendo here.

The reality is Ninty would absolutely have sued many of these projects into the ground if it thought it could. The fact it hasn't says alot.

On the flipside, Dolphin refusing to engage it also makes sense, the US legal system is expensive, and you only engage if you have the funds to do so. Dolphin does not.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Copyright of the key itself isn't the issue here; it's that the key allows Nintendo's copyright protection of its games to be circumvented.

The emulator is using the key the same way any Wii console would. Hence why it's called an emulator.

If someone can point to a part of the code that circumvents protections put in place by Nintendo, please do. Otherwise I fail to see how emulating the Wii as faithfully as possible constitutes a breach of Nintendo's rights. Would people prefer if they had provided a cracked key instead?

The reality is Ninty would absolutely have sued many of these projects into the ground if it thought it could. The fact it hasn't says alot.

On the flipside, Dolphin refusing to engage it also makes sense, the US legal system is expensive, and you only engage if you have the funds to do so. Dolphin does not.

It's definitely not worth fighting it. Simply look at the Smash Pro community if you want to see how much Nintendo is willing to screw over it's own fans. I can only imagine what they would do just to spite someone they actually dislike.

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
Ooooh! Spicy!

Seems like every few months I get yet another reason to consider Nintendo a non-entity. Thankfully, they don't cross-license technology and games very often. -keeps things easier to avoid.

The whole system of laws in most cases is one big - unnecessary - pile of interpretive rubbish. How can a law be fair if it depends on the interpretation or opinion of the one who is judging.

Dolphin has been here for more than a decade, just because the emulator of the "defunct consoles" appeared on Steam, Nintendo's dirty hand decided to act.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
The whole system of laws in most cases is one big - unnecessary - pile of interpretive rubbish. How can a law be fair if it depends on the interpretation or opinion of the one who is judging.

Dolphin has been here for more than a decade, just because the emulator of the "defunct consoles" appeared on Steam, Nintendo's dirty hand decided to act.

It depends on how the law is written, some laws are more ambiguous while others are not. A certain level of ambiguity is need as not every law can be laser focused on a specific thing. Certain laws need to be flexible to address a subject that is wide or ever changing.

Unless it is a new law, judges should defer to stare decisis. It is this deferment to stare decisis that enables a large level of stability in the legal system, as deferment to precedent ensures an consistent and even application of the law.

Technically you aren't wrong that Nintendo should have taken action if it believed it's rights were being infringed. That they didn't would weaken any case they brought before a court.

The final ruling was tl;dr "APIs are copyrightable"
API's are code. Cryptographic key strings are not.

I didn't realize how many appeals this case went through. I guess its good to double-check upon the final status before running my mouth off, lol.
Trust me, you can easily be forgiven for missing things in such a complicated case.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
They f'd up, it happens.
Nintendo went to protect what's theirs, seems normal.

Honestly it all seems normal at my end. And do mind, i ocassionaly pirated stuff so i'm not on Nintendo's side.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Essential Mercury White
Keyboard Redragon Shiva Lunar White
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
This is overblown, Dolphin is available freely for Windows, Mac, Xbox, you can easily download it without having to have an extra software on your PC and enjoy.

The idea of emulator distribution on Steam is to bring the application to more users and I would argue primarily to facilitate its usage on the Steam Deck. It's a really popular device, at least in markets where Valve bothered making it available. The other devices like the GPDs and the ROG Ally run Windows, so that makes things easier. Speaking of which, ASUS has such impeccable timing, just as I decided to upgrade my PC they release the Ally here... hehe its a crime for me to complain after the treat I just gave myself :eek::D

They f'd up, it happens.
Nintendo went to protect what's theirs, seems normal.

Honestly it all seems normal at my end. And do mind, i ocassionaly pirated stuff so i'm not on Nintendo's side.

IMHO the biggest problem with copyright law today is that it does not discern between casual piracy (i.e. kid that downloads an mp3) and infringement with the intent of capitalize on a third party's intellectual property - with the preservation of "obsolete" mediums (often amazing restoration projects that culminate in a supreme, archival-quality release of a partially or completely lost work) and continued access to media that is no longer available in any manner due to market or technological concerns caught in the crossfire, I sincerely believe that a reform in both patent, trademark and copyright law is long overdue.

Patent trolling is a plague upon mankind. Can you imagine how powerful and innovative CPUs would be today if there wasn't a duopoly due to x86 patents, or how many lives could be saved if more than one company could make any given medicine after say, 5 years? Oh it's gotta fund R&D? Not like that problem wouldn't take care of itself through the sheer force of market. Boo-hoo.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
IMHO the biggest problem with copyright law today is that it does not discern between casual piracy (i.e. kid that downloads an mp3) and infringement with the intent of capitalize on a third party's intellectual property - with the preservation of "obsolete" mediums (often amazing restoration projects that culminate in a supreme, archival-quality release of a partially or completely lost work) and continued access to media that is no longer available in any manner due to market or technological concerns caught in the crossfire, I sincerely believe that a reform in both patent, trademark and copyright law is long overdue.

Patent trolling is a plague upon mankind. Can you imagine how powerful and innovative CPUs would be today if there wasn't a duopoly due to x86 patents, or how many lives could be saved if more than one company could make any given medicine after say, 5 years? Oh it's gotta fund R&D? Not like that problem wouldn't take care of itself through the sheer force of market. Boo-hoo.

Things should go to public domain faster, especially if you are doing nothing with it.

The alice games are a good example, EA doesn't care and doesn't want to let the original developers revive it. Nintendo has a back catalogue of games that no one can even buy anymore. This is stupid. Games are literally dying.

I found on reddit this tv show that flopped so bad they just removed it from the platform for good, so now no one can watch it but pirates.

It's even worst, copyright law makes companies have to go after someone even if they don't care to, because if they don't they can lose the IP. It's absurd,

Things are broken

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
It's even worst, copyright law makes companies have to go after someone even if they don't care to, because if they don't they can lose the IP. It's absurd,
Came here to say the same thing. Unfortunately, Nintendo has to actively defend in order to protect all their IP. Because if they didn't, it puts at risk all their IP of similar age/heritage, and you can understand they want to protect other items. All items in the IP portfolio have to be actively defended lest you lose entitlement to the whole portfolio under the legal precedent "they didn't defend X so therefore IP of Y lapses". It's doopid, but that's copyright laws for you.

Dolphin could get round this by having a piece of IP protector software built into their code. e.g. check for Wii CD, not allow ISOs. (And let someone ELSE do the noCD crack)

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
LMAO I’m projecting but says the man with multiple comments about the subject at hand. Pot meet kettle moment.
Apparently having multiple comments on a topic means I'm offended by it, WHO KNEW? I'm sure your Nobel Prize nomination is gonna be in the post soon.

Nobody is brigading for Nintendo. We're simply pointing and laughing at the Dolphin devs for lacking the mental capability to realise that megacorporations will act to protect their IP when they feel it is sufficiently threatened. You can kick the hornet's nest a few times and not get stung, but if you stick your entire stupid head inside it don't expect to walk away unscathed... and apparently the Dolphin devs did. F**k around and find out, as they say.

Please reread my previous post regarding cost/benefit analysis.

If someone can point to a part of the code that circumvents protections put in place by Nintendo, please do.
How about, IDK, the part of the code that uses that key to make copy-protected GameCube/Wii games playable? Without which Dolphin is nothing?

Processor Intel 12600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X
Cooling CPU: Noctua NH-D15S; Case: 2xNoctua NF-A14, 1xNF-S12A.
Memory Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 @3600CL16 2*16GB
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 4080
Storage Samsung 970 Pro 512GB + Crucial MX500 500gb + WD Red 6TB
Display(s) Dell S2721qs
Case Phanteks P300A Mesh
Audio Device(s) Behringer UMC204HD
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 560W
Mouse Glorious Model D-
The problem is we can't know if they (ninty) really have a standing in this case, because nobody went to court. Sure, Dolphin guys were naive to say the least to think that Nintendo will sleep but also they just don't have the cash to defend, like many others in past history of modding, fan-games and so on. What we need to find out is a crazy billionaire to fund #TeamEmulation and see what they get, haha. Maybe they'll rekt the entire emulation scene or maybe ninty finally get their comeuppance.

Motherboard AORUS B450 ELITE
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S Chromax Black
Memory DDR4 Ballistix Sport LT 2x8GB 3000MHZ CAS15 / DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz CAS 15
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6750XT Reference Design
Storage 2.5 TB 2.5" SSD / 3 TB HDD
Display(s) ASUS 27" 165HZ VG27WQ / Vertical 16/10 iiyama 25" 75Hz ProLite XUB2595WSU-B1
Case be quiet! Dark Base 700 RGB
Audio Device(s) PSB Alpha P3 / LOXJIE A30 Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GA
Mouse Cooler master MM720
Keyboard Roccat horde
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 10
I really recommend everybody to watch this video, it's really well writen and goes back in history to understand why nintendo is like this with it's property. I think it's a part of the understanding behind the dolphin on steam controversy. Nintendo are more willing to protect their public image/character/game than protecting their hardware once they are hacked.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
@Kyan , got a slightly more focused version of that video? It really drags and takes 10 mins to say what could be said in 3. I gave up because it was just too slow.

Motherboard AORUS B450 ELITE
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S Chromax Black
Memory DDR4 Ballistix Sport LT 2x8GB 3000MHZ CAS15 / DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz CAS 15
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6750XT Reference Design
Storage 2.5 TB 2.5" SSD / 3 TB HDD
Display(s) ASUS 27" 165HZ VG27WQ / Vertical 16/10 iiyama 25" 75Hz ProLite XUB2595WSU-B1
Case be quiet! Dark Base 700 RGB
Audio Device(s) PSB Alpha P3 / LOXJIE A30 Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GA
Mouse Cooler master MM720
Keyboard Roccat horde
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 10
@Kyan , got a slightly more focused version of that video? It really drags and takes 10 mins to say what could be said in 3. I gave up because it was just too slow.
I don't know if anybody have covered the subject in another form. I've watch it some month ago so i don't really remember when does it get slow. I've watch it without any problem.

I've just notice that he made a video about the dolphin-steam-nintendo case

Processor i9-9900K @ 5.1GHz (H2O Cooled)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Cooling CPU = EK Velocity / GPU = EK Vector
Memory 32GB - G-Skill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHz
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6900 XT (H2O Cooled)
Storage Samsung 860 EVO - 970 EVO - 870 QVO
Display(s) Samsung QN90A 50" 4K TV & LG 20" 1600x900
Case Lian Li O11-D
Audio Device(s) Presonus Studio 192
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2S
Keyboard Matias RGB Backlit Keyboard
Software Windows 10 & macOS (Hackintosh)
How about, IDK, the part of the code that uses that key to make copy-protected GameCube/Wii games playable? Without which Dolphin is nothing?
it only decrypts Wii games. if the key was removed GameCube games would be not impacted and continue to work as is.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10

The key makes games playable because copy protection is still in place. If the emulator was circumventing copy protection, what need is there for the key? None. Saying using the key is circumventing copy protection is backwards, using the key means copy protection is in fact still in place.

The real Wii also uses that key to unlock the encryption to play games. Again the emulator is emulating the original console.

Low quality post by PapaTaipei