• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cadence to Acquire Rambus PHY IP Assets

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
Cadence Design Systems, Inc. and Rambus Inc., a premier chip and silicon IP provider making data faster and safer, today announced that they have entered into a definitive agreement for Cadence to acquire the Rambus SerDes and memory interface PHY IP business. Rambus will retain its digital IP business, including memory and interface controllers and security IP. The expected technology asset purchase also brings Cadence proven and experienced PHY engineering teams in the United States, India and Canada, further expanding Cadence's domain-rich talent base.

"Memory and SerDes IP design and integration continues to be integral to the design of AI, data center and hyperscale applications, CPU architectures and networking devices, and the addition of the Rambus IP and seasoned team further accelerates Cadence's Intelligent System Design strategy, which drives design excellence," said Boyd Phelps, senior vice president and general manager of the IP Group at Cadence. "The acquisition of the Rambus PHY IP broadens Cadence's well-established enterprise IP portfolio and expands its reach across geographies and vertical markets, such as the aerospace and defense market, providing complete subsystem solutions that meet the demands of our worldwide customers."

"The accelerating momentum of AI and continued growth in the data center is driving ever-increasing demand for memory and security," said Sean Fan, senior vice president and chief operating officer at Rambus. "With this transaction, we will increase our focus on market-leading digital IP and chips and expand our roadmap of novel memory solutions to support the continued evolution of the data center and AI."

The transaction is expected to be immaterial to revenue and earnings this year for each company. It is expected to close in the third calendar quarter of 2023, subject to certain closing conditions.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Who are Cadence, and what have they contributed to the industry? A quick search says they've been around for 35 years but I've never heard of them.

I don't want to jump to conclusions but it's no secret Rambus are struggling to survive, is this a "blood in the water" moment for other patent trolls in the shark tank?

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
Who are Cadence, and what have they contributed to the industry? A quick search says they've been around for 35 years but I've never heard of them.

I don't want to jump to conclusions but it's no secret Rambus are struggling to survive, is this a "blood in the water" moment for other patent trolls in the shark tank?
Cadence is a company that sells IP for a vast amount of different parts, so if you're designing say an SoC, you might go to them and license their DDR4 memory controller or a USB 3.x host controller design, as it will save you time and most likely money in the long run, since you don't have to design those things inhouse.

Cadence is anything but a patent troll, since they develop a lot of their own IP. Let's call them the Arm of peripheral and memory IP, as anyone can license IP from them for use in their products. A lot of their IP is "drop in" ready, i.e. it has been verified to work with certain hardware designs from the likes of Arm.

On top of that, they do chip design, validation and analysis software and they own the Tensilica RISC based MCU IP, which is often found in low power co-processor that don't use Arm, Risc-V, 8051 or some other proprietary core.

It might not be a company that is covered a lot on TPU, for obvious reasons, since they only do IP, not any final "hard" products.

As for Rambus, I wish they would just be taken over by some other, friendlier company.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
It's surprising that Ꝛambus sold off the PHY (physical interfaces) part to Cādence but kept the memory controller part. Both parts are very closely connected in any physical implementation, and I'm sure also during development. Until now, both companies have been big in both. The PHY may be quite problematic for future development as it contains analog parts, and those don't like to scale down with newer nodes. At the same time, data rates keep growing so there must be incredibly complex tricks employed in the analog electronics to push data over wires, PCB tracks, substrates, interposers, sockets, solder pads, connectors, and everything else.

Here's just an overview diagram of DDR controller and PHY at Cadence:
1689938948664.png

Last edited:
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Was the Ramblus patent troll division included in the sale, or can we look forward to more of their shenanigans now that they have moar $$ to spend on more lame-ass litigation ?

xrli

Cadence also makes one of the most widely used (if not THE most used, I don't have the data) PCB design software suite in the industry, Allegro, OrCAD, and PSpice. A big proportion of all PCBs in the world were designed/simulated with Cadence software.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name White DJ in Detroit
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Cadence also makes one of the most widely used (if not THE most used, I don't have the data) PCB design software suite in the industry, Allegro, OrCAD, and PSpice. A big proportion of all PCBs in the world were designed/simulated with Cadence software.

Oohhh that Cadence? I thought they only made software.

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
Oh, and that OrCAD? Some things live forever. At least the names do. I used OrCAD for schematics and PCBs in my DOS days.