• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Unveils 32-inch 4K OLED ROG Swift PG32UCDM Gaming Monitor

Exactly! Full 4K/240Hz 10-bit RGB signal from this monitor needs almost 70 Gbps of bandwidth.
Where is DP 2.1 full speed port on this monitor in 2023? Why Asus?
That depends on the chroma sampling format. There is no cable fit for 4:4:4, 10bit in UHD at 240Hz.

That depends on the chroma sampling format. There is no cable fit for 4:4:4, 10bit in UHD at 240Hz.
Of course there are full speed DP80 certified cables with 80 Gbps bandwidth.
We even have GPUs from AMD that can output 80 Gbps signal - check PRO W7900 and W7800

Attachments

• 232010505-b-radeon-pro-w7800-datasheet.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
They should have said affiordable

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple proprietary M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple proprietary M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary onboard 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (with latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
That's all fine and dandy but would these 80 Gbps bandwidth DisplayPort cables provide that functionality on this monitor which only features DisplayPort 1.4 ports?

Remember, we are talking about a specific product not the existence of high-bandwidth interlinks.

I would have loved a glossy option

for me both matte and glossy are relevant but people should be offered a choice.

Nowadays glossy gaming displays are very rare, only the qd-oled ultrawide from samsung/alienware/msi are glossy

lot of people love matte, but I don’t play 1 inch away from a window and I particularly hate the hazy/grainy look of the matte layer

Case Apple proprietary
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
lot of people love matte, but I don’t play 1 inch away from a window and I particularly hate the hazy/grainy look of the matte layer
Just wait until your eyes are old and tired, the hazy/grainy look of the matter layer won't be so bothersome.

Maybe ASUS is saying that this is a monitor you can grow old with!

:):D:p

That's all fine and dandy but would these 80 Gbps bandwidth DisplayPort cables provide that functionality on this monitor which only features DisplayPort 1.4 ports?
Remember, we are talking about a specific product not the existence of high-bandwidth interlinks.
It's VESA certified cable with full support for all features from DP 2.1 specification, also created by VESA. This means new cables are backwards compatible with previous specs.
It's the product that has cheapen out on display IC chip, while still wanting to charge a premium prize.
Unacceptable in 2023, when new DP 2.1 ports and cables are available. Samsung's new Neo G9 monitor will launch in a few days. It features DP 2.1 port.

Case Apple proprietary
It's VESA certified cable with full support for all features from DP 2.1 specification, also created by VESA. This means new cables are backwards compatible with previous specs.
It's the product that has cheapen out on display IC chip, while still wanting to charge a premium prize.
Unacceptable in 2023, when new DP 2.1 ports and cables are available. Samsung's new Neo G9 monitor will launch in a few days. It features DP 2.1 port.
So I'm guessing that the answer is "this cable will work at DisplayPort 1.4 speeds because that's what this ASUS monitor is".

Got it.

Like many here, I realize that there are other products on the market that support DP 2.x.

We even have GPUs from AMD that can output 80 Gbps signal - check PRO W7900 and W7800
4K @120Hz with DSC i.e., compression. Where is the 4K @240Hz with 4:4:4 chroma and 10bit color?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30-36-36-76
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv +150 core
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
Case Apple proprietary
4K @120Hz with DSC i.e., compression. Where is the 4K @240Hz with 4:4:4 chroma and 10bit color?
Probably sitting on a counter in one of Asus's R&D labs, maybe right next to the prototype of this particular SKU.

All of the major electronics manufacturers test multiple prototypes with different components, capabilities, and perhaps most importantly COGS.

There will likely be a product with those specifications one day. Just not today. And probably not tomorrow either.

Probably sitting on a counter in one of Asus's R&D labs, maybe right next to the prototype of this particular SKU.

All of the major electronics manufacturers test multiple prototypes with different components, capabilities, and perhaps most importantly COGS.

There will likely be a product with those specifications one day. Just not today. And probably not tomorrow either.
Yes, it was rhetorical. :)

Case Apple proprietary
Yes, it was rhetorical. :)
Hard to tell.

Many people online don't seem to grasp the concept of the prototyping process and the fact that there are unreleased designs. Nor do they understand that companies can work on multiple generations of products.

It's not just here at TPU. Pretty much all technology discussion venues have those people. Just like those sites have people who don't understand the difference between revenue and profit. And honestly, it's not just limited to consumer electronics. It could be about anything: hot glue guns, spark plugs, washing machines, whatever.

ASUS announced a new SKU today. That doesn't mean they aren't working on other products. They have probably tested designs that include DP 2.1 circuitry.

The PC monitor industry is a low-margin, cut throat competitive battlefield. Shaving $5 off a monitor chip might be the difference in an extra percentage point of gross margin. ASUS isn't a charity. They exist to increase shareholder value. Samsung is no different. Neither is LG...

Last edited:
Because of pixel density, 32" is really needed for a good 4k desktop experience. For a 27 or 24", everything is just too small to see.

Not true, the only problem is Windows sucks at scaling things correctly. Be it 27'' (163ppi) or 32''(140ppi) you'll not be able to run either at 100% scale. At 24'' you might run 200% scalling which could be a pretty nice experience as 200% would allow for integer conversion but it's not a very used format, you'd be sacrificing all the increased real estate of 4k because again, windows sucks at scaling, and 24'' is a tad small to work with.

Classic chicken and egg problem, there won't be affordable 80gbps DP cables while there's barely any demand for them. But the monitors requiring that have been in the market for a while now but because of cost cutting manufacturers are happy to keep using the old DP1.4 that barely does 4k 144hz without compression.

Context, they were specifically discussing the existence of cables to support such hypothetical product

Where is the 4K @240Hz with 4:4:4 chroma and 10bit color?

DP2.1 UHBR 20 (80gbps) has enough bandwith for that, if the cable is certified DP2.1 UHBR 20 (as the cables Tek-Check linked are) it has to support that.

The PC monitor industry is a low-margin, cut throat competitive battlefield. Shaving $5 off a monitor chip might be the difference in an extra percentage point of gross margin. ASUS isn't a charity. They exist to increase shareholder value. Samsung is no different. Neither is LG...

I don't believe that's true, like at all. They have tons of margin in higher end monitors like this one. Shaving a couple bucks of a product is obviously smart business but we entered an age where profits are pursued at any cost and dropping features for the sake of it is included in that.

There's a big difference between choosing the cheaper of 2 components that serve the same purpose and choosing the cheaper of 2 components where 1 can only meet part of the requirements. The first is the nature of any round of design optimization, the second is the stupid age we live in.

There's tons of other meaningless shit they could have cut instead, like the stupid red led in the stand, or the led matrix in the back with the ROG logo (that probably will be programable because of course it will since it's an ROG product), but instead it's implementing a newer port that's cut and, from the Asus announcement page, even HDR and the USB Hub are disabled if you're using USB Power delivery because..... well because fuck you RGB leds is more important :nutkick:

Processor R7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI B650 Tomahawk
Memory 2x32GB 6000CL30
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
If i had to guess Asus ROG paid to have exclusivity for this panel as they usually do so they can price it for like 2.5k or something crazy.

Now is there ANY REASON why this doesnt have Display port 2.1??

If i had to guess Asus ROG paid to have exclusivity for this panel as they usually do so they can price it for like 2.5k or something crazy.

Now that would be very sad and very misguided. 4k 32'' WOLED might be just around the corner and for a monitor the brightness advantage of QD-OLED doesn't really matter. Besides that in the enthusiast range of product this will compete in, a large percentage people have been fine buying 42'' TV "monitors" and Asus themselves sells a version of that for 1400$ (a large premium over the regular price of the LG 42'' C2 but that's ROG's essence). This can't possibly be more expensive than that.

Only one I can think of is cost cutting pure and simple

Hard to tell.

Many people online don't seem to grasp the concept of the prototyping process and the fact that there are unreleased designs. Nor do they understand that companies can work on multiple generations of products.

It's not just here at TPU. Pretty much all technology discussion venues have those people. Just like those sites have people who don't understand the difference between revenue and profit. And honestly, it's not just limited to consumer electronics. It could be about anything: hot glue guns, spark plugs, washing machines, whatever.

ASUS announced a new SKU today. That doesn't mean they aren't working on other products. They have probably tested designs that include DP 2.1 circuitry.

In the context of the entire thread, not so much. Otherwise, we are on the same page.

Case Apple proprietary
I don't believe that's true, like at all. They have tons of margin in higher end monitors like this one. Shaving a couple bucks of a product is obviously smart business but we entered an age where profits are pursued at any cost and dropping features for the sake of it is included in that.

There's a big difference between choosing the cheaper of 2 components that serve the same purpose and choosing the cheaper of 2 components where 1 can only meet part of the requirements. The first is the nature of any round of design optimization, the second is the stupid age we live in.

There's tons of other meaningless shit they could have cut instead, like the stupid red led in the stand, or the led matrix in the back with the ROG logo (that probably will be programable because of course it will since it's an ROG product), but instead it's implementing a newer port that's cut and, from the Asus announcement page, even HDR and the USB Hub are disabled if you're using USB Power delivery because..... well because fuck you RGB leds is more important :nutkick:
People are still free to vote with their dollars. This is a free market economy. No one is pointing a gun at anyone's head saying "You must buy this monitor."

If you don't like the current offerings, don't buy it. No one -- not Asus, not Samsung, not anyone else -- can please everyone all the time.

If this sells well, don't blame Asus, blame your fellow consumers. Remember that Asus is here to make a buck. Their strategy is to avoid putting out stuff that has very limited appeal.

If you are a fast food company and people love eating swill, you will produce swill.

There are too many product announcements for me to slam every single thing that doesn't fit my exact needs. Is my Mac mini M2 Pro perfect? My LG 27UL850W? My car? My electric toothbrush? No. If someone asks me if I like the Super Cheesy Chicken Ghost Pepper Chalupa Crunch Roll, I say "sorry, I haven't tried it."

I know that getting excessively dramatic about things online is very fashionable in 2023. However the chances that anyone with decision making authority at Asus is reading this thread is almost non-existent.

Best strategy: just wait patiently and quietly for something that fits your general needs. You can yell at the sky all you'd like. Just make sure someone up there is listening. And if they are, consider if your voice is enough to effectuate change.

Last edited:
I know that getting excessively dramatic about things online is very fashionable in 2023. However the chances that anyone with decision making authority at Asus is reading this thread is almost non-existent.

Best strategy: just wait patiently for something that fits your general needs.

It's a tech forum, naturally tech enthusiasts get disappointed with every passing announcement of things, often long clamoured for and kind of groundbreaking like finally a 4k oled monitor, with the same old failures with bling prioritized instead

Nice, but a 32-inch monster would occupy the whole space over my desk, maybe my desk is kind of small... I don't know
You do know that 27" 1440p OLED exists? As do monitor arms if you're worried about desk space.
this better comes with a 5 year burn in warranty.
2 years most likely.
I might be in the minority but I was actually bummed when I found out this monitor was QD Oled even with the benefits to color volume at least in the TV space QD Oled is more prone to burn in than WOled so personally I was hoping this was an MLA equipped WOled
This opinion is based on what? The tests we have are for first gen QD-OLED and even among WOLED there are significant differences in burn in between LG and others despite using the same panel.
I’m interested in this new sub pixel layout. I thought Samsung was only making one kind of panel.
It's not new. It's Triangle-RGB that Samsung used on their first gen and Samsung is still making this panel (2nd gen QD-OLED).
This all depends on the price. I have a feeling Asus will probably shoot themselves in the foot by pricing this at or above the Alienware AW3423DWF's $999 at launch.

It will also be interesting to see how they deliberately sabotage the color accuracy on this unit to avoid cannibalizing sales of their creator monitors like the the $1700 ProArt 27". Normally OLED would be very accurate.
Why is that? AW3423DWF is older, has smaller pixel density and lower refresh rate and brightness. ProArt uses regular RGB pixel structure and is limited to 60Hz. Completely different segment. Gaming focused model with worse text clarity is no threat to ProArt.
2024 can’t come soon enough. Probably a 2,000$ panel if I had to guess though.
Doubtful. 1500 max considering the also announced 49" version is below 1500 and the 27" 1440p was 1200.
Because of pixel density, 32" is really needed for a good 4k desktop experience. For a 27 or 24", everything is just too small to see.
32" is the absolute minimum for 4K to be usable. Even this at 125% scaling.
4k 240 hrz with DP1.4 why not use DVI really how hard is it to put Dp2.1
Yeah. Weird cost cutting for a premium monitor.
Exactly! Full 4K/240Hz 10-bit RGB signal from this monitor needs almost 70 Gbps of bandwidth.
Where is DP 2.1 full speed port on this monitor in 2023? Why Asus?
They probably say use DSC. We live in the age of compression and upscaling it seems.
They should have said affordable
Yeah im sure the price of the cable is a dealbreaker when you're buying what likely ends up being a $1200 monitor.
I would have loved a glossy option
QD-OLED does not have matte coating. It's not super glossy but i would say it's more glossy than standard.
Doubtful. Others will use the same panel.
Not true, the only problem is Windows sucks at scaling things correctly. Be it 27'' (163ppi) or 32''(140ppi) you'll not be able to run either at 100% scale. At 24'' you might run 200% scalling which could be a pretty nice experience as 200% would allow for integer conversion but it's not a very used format, you'd be sacrificing all the increased real estate of 4k because again, windows sucks at scaling, and 24'' is a tad small to work with.
True that. 27" 1440p is barely doable for me and on some websites i still have to use zoom. ~41" 4K would be the same pixel density ie 100% scaling. 4K 32" likely requires 125% scaling.
Classic chicken and egg problem, there won't be affordable 80gbps DP cables while there's barely any demand for them. But the monitors requiring that have been in the market for a while now but because of cost cutting manufacturers are happy to keep using the old DP1.4 that barely does 4k 144hz without compression.
Yeah display manufacturers (or is it scaler/IC makers?) are using DSC as a crutch much the same way game makers are starting to use upscaling as a crutch to ship worse ports.

• Haha
Reactions: ARF
Case Apple proprietary
It's a tech forum, naturally tech enthusiasts get disappointed with every passing announcement of things, often long clamoured for and kind of groundbreaking like finally a 4k oled monitor, with the same old failures with bling prioritized instead
Rome wasn't built in a day.

There were no OLED monitors in the 2000s. And no 4K@120Hz models in the mid 2010s. Today we have 4K@240Hz. There is progress happening. Next year someone is going to bitch that there's no 4K@480Hz monitor. Someday there will be someone saying that missing DisplayPort 7.0 support is an outrage because 7.0 cables are already on the market.

Great. WE KNOW. In the mean time, please take a seat and quietly drink your juice.

Some people will be disappointed with everything. Hell of a way to go through life.

The Internet wasn't always like this. I've been on the World Wide Web basically since its inception in the early Nineties. The smartphone has turned the Internet into an online ghetto. It gave everyone a voice but it didn't make the 'net any better. It just created more noise.

Last edited:
System Name His & Hers
Processor R7 5800X/ R9 5950X Stock
Motherboard X570 Aorus Master/ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
Cooling Corsair h150 elite/ Corsair h115i Platinum
Memory 32 GB 4x8GB 4000CL15 Trident Z Royal/ 32 GB 3200 CL14 @3800 CL16 Team T Force Nighthawk
Video Card(s) Evga FTW 3 Ultra 3080ti/ Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090
Storage lots of SSD.
Display(s) LG G2 65/LG C1 48/ LG 27GP850/ MSI 27 inch VA panel 1440p165hz
Case 011 Dynamic XL/ Phanteks Evolv X
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro + gaming Dac/ Corsair sp 2500/ Logitech G560/Samsung Q990B
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime Titanium 1000w/850w
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed/ Logitech G Pro Hero.
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum/ Logitech G Pro
This opinion is based on what? The tests we have are for first gen QD-OLED and even among WOLED there are significant differences in burn in between LG and others despite using the same panel.

It's not new. It's Triangle-RGB that Samsung used on their first gen and Samsung is still making this panel (2nd gen QD-OLED).

I guess saying that I would have to wait for an LG version regardless....

scaler/IC makers?

They exist, some monitors are already using them and some gpu's can already drive them. Probably still expensive but that's not a reason for a top end highly premium product to skip on it

On the announcement they at least imply it's not that

The PG32UCDM employs second-generation Quantum Dot OLED tech that goes a step further to give you even more vibrant colors, an optimized subpixel layout for improved text clarity, and bright, eye-catching highlights

Optimized for text clarity should mean regular linear RGB.

What is this about?
This very monitor in the article IS 4K/240Hz 10-bit RGB/444. Its full signal needs almost 70 Gbps of visual data feed. Asus should have offered full speed DP 2.1 port at 80 Gbps, so that we do not need to use 7 years old DP 1.4a with DSC.

DP 2.1 display IC already exists in Samsung Neo G9 that is coming out in a few weeks, so Asus has an access to it too.
This does not excuse Asus for not offering DP 2.1 on a high-end monitor they will attempt to sell for probably $2,000. No excuse whatsoever. It's quite disappointing what they did here as this monitor can take a full advantage of new DP 2.1 standard.

Samsung will offer the first monitor with DP 2.1 port - Neo G9
LG was the first company to introduce HDMI 2.1 ports at full speed 48 Gbps in 2019 already, ahead of anyone else. They design in-house display IC solutions.

Like many here, I realize that there are other products on the market that support DP 2.x.
Six monitor companies announced that they would release new monitors with DP 2.1 ports. You can see this in AMD's RDNA3 presentation from November last year. At CES in January, several specific DP 2.1 monitors were announced. Samsung will release 57 inch Neo G9 dual-4K in a few weeks.

There is no single monitor with DP 2.1 ports in the market as yet. Samsung's Odyssey Neo G9 dual-4K will be the first one, in a few weeks.
4K/144Hz monitor cannot do uncompressed signal, neither in SDR/8-bit nor in HDR/10-bit.

DP - SDR.JPG

DP - HDR.JPG

There is no good reason for such allegedly premium monitor not to include DP 2.1. A big red flag for me. They literally wanted to save a few bucks on a new display IC. Another reason could be that their DP 2.1 display IC is not ready yet or certified by VESA for 80 Gbps, which would mean they are delayed in development cycle, behind Samsung.