• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Finnish eSports Company UNEVN Launches BASE Portable Gaming Desk with a Built in Gaming PC

It's a nice idea, but I'd like to see it refined. Even if the Linus review is questionable for one reason or another, it's clearly still a first-gen product, and all the teething that comes with it. I do hope it succeeds and improves.

I have a huge chunk of real wood on four steel legs that's (in today's market) worth about $1000 (probably $2000 in the US wood-starved market) and I treat it like utter shit. It's covered in ringmarks, gouges, dents and other abominable value-detracting blemishes from use. I bought it when I graduated and what seemed like an overkill investment 20 years ago is still going strong.

The thing is - I'm never going to sell it, and I could just belt-sand the whole thing pristine again if it bothered me, but it doesn't. It's a workdesk, not a vanity item and the fact I can treat it like shit without any permanent downsides is why it's so valuable and why I can afford to treat it like shit.

If you don't have the luxury of 45mm thick real hardwood, you genuinely need the particleboard+veneer to be robust, heat-resistant, waterproof, and well sealed. I've scratched countless MDF or Ikea tables before and once the water gets in the surface is not only ugly, it's no longer flat!

Depending on how deep the humidity went in you might need to sand it quite hard but anyway ;) That's a great point, it's great to use more sustainable materials like engineered woods and composites but we as a society often forget that it's even more sustainable to just build something that will last basically forever.