• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Die-shot Suggests "Phoenix 2" is AMD's First Hybrid Processor

System Name Never trust a socket with less than 2000 pins
Well, this will still require the OS scheduler to be aware of which core is potentially fast and which one has a lower maximum speed limit. Imagine that a heavily multicore load suddenly morphs into a single thread that was slacking off. You want that thread on one of the potentially high clocked cores, but it might sit on a low core right now. So you have to make a decision whether to move it, which is a very difficult decision to make for a scheduler since it doesn't know how much longer this particular situation will last.

In other words, some losses from sub-optimal scheduling are unavoidable if you have faster and slower cores.

BTW, this concept is much older than E-cores on 12th gen Intel. They had Xeon chips with cores with different clock limits way before.

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi 6)
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S (two fans)
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) Reference Vega 64
Storage Intel 665p 1TB, WD Black SN850X 2TB, Crucial MX300 1TB SATA, Samsung 830 256 GB SATA
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG27, and Samsung S23A700
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TITANIUM 850W
Mouse Logitech
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Windows 11 Pro, and Ubuntu 20.04
Well, this will still require the OS scheduler to be aware of which core is potentially fast and which one has a lower maximum speed limit. Imagine that a heavily multicore load suddenly morphs into a single thread that was slacking off. You want that thread on one of the potentially high clocked cores, but it might sit on a low core right now. So you have to make a decision whether to move it, which is a very difficult decision to make for a scheduler since it doesn't know how much longer this particular situation will last.

In other words, some losses from sub-optimal scheduling are unavoidable if you have faster and slower cores.

BTW, this concept is much older than E-cores on 12th gen Intel. They had Xeon chips with cores with different clock limits way before.
Yes, this disparity is nothing new and existed before E cores as well. Scheduling is a NP-hard problem even in the case of identical parallel processors so you'll never get an optimal scheduler.

I think there's much ado about nothing here.
YES! Thank You.

So if a thread is sent to the 4c core, performance will suffer, just like with ecores. Yes?
Depends on the thread, it's function and whether or not the clock speed will make a difference. Core scheduling is defined, but still complicated. If the OS kernel shifts a thread from one core to a slower core, it's either because that thread has a lower priority or is under-utilizing the core it's running on. A thread being shifted to a slower/lower tier core can also be the OS prioritizing and optimizing in real-time.

For Intel's Big/Little design, this can and frequently does result in degraded performance for the thread shifted to an E-Core, because the "little" cores are of a different(less efficient) design and thus much lower IPC. With the AMD version of it in this example, the same dynamic doesn't exist because the "little" core is functionally identical to the "Big" core, just slower clocking, which means the IPC is the same, but the clock speed is slower.

Put another way, Intel's Big/little design results is significant degradation of thread performance due to the differences not only in clock speed but in core instruction execution capabilities. AMD's Big/Little seems a much better way of doing it as the difference is in clock speed alone.

Does this make sense?

They had Xeon chips with cores with different clock limits way before.
True, but they were all the same cores IIRC. The per-core clock limitations were microcode imposed.

Last edited:
System Name Mean machine
Processor 13900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Video Card(s) 4090 Gamerock oc
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Arya / a30 - d30 pro stack
Power Supply Be quiet dark power pro 1200
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
Depends on the thread, it's function and whether or not the clock speed will make a difference. Core scheduling is defined, but still complicated. If the OS kernel shifts a thread from one core to a slower core, it's either because that thread has a lower priority or is under-utilizing the core it's running on. A thread being shifted to a slower/lower tier core can also be the OS prioritizing and optimizing in real-time.

For Intel's Big/Little design, this can and frequently does result in degraded performance for the thread shifted to an E-Core, because the "little" cores are of a different(less efficient) design and thus much lower IPC. With the AMD version of it in this example, the same dynamic doesn't exist because the "little" core is functionally identical to the "Big" core, just slower clocking, which means the IPC is the same, but the clock speed is slower.

Put another way, Intel's Big/little design results is significant degradation of thread performance due to the differences not only in clock speed but in core instruction execution capabilities. AMD's Big/Little seems a much better way of doing it as the difference is in clock speed alone.

Does this make sense?
Sure, but the end result is, if the scheduler ***cks up, you lose performance.

Thank god it's not happening on intel thanks to the thread director

That happens anyway. In non-big/little systems if the scheduler encounters an error, it dumps the current work and restarts the thread. There is no difference there. And that happens regardless of the type or manufacturer of the CPU. That's not really something to focus on.

If the Zen 4c core would perform as well as the full fat core then there wouldn't be any full fat cores. Obviously that is not the case, zen 4c will be slower so it will have the same "issues" ecores do.
No. When all cores are loaded, the mobile platform will reduce the total available max speed anyway, so in essence you have the same total performance as if you had 6 full cores. The ecores problem is sofware related, which this has nothing to do with other than boost algorithms.

Thank god it's not happening on intel thanks to the thread director

LOL

Yeah, I am sure thread director works perfectly, which is only possible if it can see into the future.

Unless you were being sarcastic, in which case I apologize.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
I think hybrid is going to be the future for both companies, but I agree that its early days and its not good everything doesnt just work 100% optimised out of the box. (Although on Win11 is still reasonably good out of the box due to thread director).

However my research and investigation into improving things has led me to learn some exciting discoveries about CPU scheduling in windows and the hidden power schema settings, I have started documenting it as well, however the few attempts I have tried to share some of this stuff on the net, no one has bitten, I seem to be the only one excited by it. :)

W1zzard briefly got interested but only on the NVME power saving states.

System Name Mean machine
Processor 13900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
LOL

Yeah, I am sure thread director works perfectly, which is only possible if it can see into the future.

Unless you were being sarcastic, in which case I apologize.
My experience has been perfect thus far. All the games I've tried work better with ecores on. I've heard star citizen doesn't like ecores but never tried it.

My experience has been perfect thus far. All the games I've tried work better with ecores on. I've heard star citizen doesn't like ecores but never tried it.

That doesn't mean that the whole shebang is running optimally. Not slowing down with E-Cores is a very low bar, especially if your applications have less threads than you have P-cores in the first place.

System Name Mean machine
Processor 13900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
That doesn't mean that the whole shebang is running optimally. Not slowing down with E-Cores is a very low bar, especially if your applications have less threads than you have P-cores in the first place.
I didn't say they don't slow down. I said they actually run better.

But - still, what do you mean "low bar". What would be the high bar?

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I just feel likes this whole debate will ultimately depends on whether or not AMD decides to limit the clock of zen 4C vs classic zen 4.
How is that different to turbo boost that we already have?

Unlike desktops with 142-230W package power, mobile chips really do clock all the way down under all-core loads. The 15W 6800U, for example, really does drop from 4.7GHz on single-threaded loads to under 3GHz when rendering. The 6800U's eight full-fat Zen4 cores are already operating in a way similar to 2x Zen4 and 6x Zen4C, simply because there are "preferred cores" which are the two marked as the best for high boost clocks. By the time the third core is engaged, clocks have already dropped 500MHz, and they'll lose another GHz as the rest of the cores are loaded and the laptop approaches its STAPM limits.

The clocks of Zen4C will definitely be limited by their own stability at sensible voltages, but many of the cores in a full-fat Zen4 processor are already limited anyway by power targets, so the die area spent on giving them the potential ability to clock higher is going to waste, since if there's ever power budget to spare, the cores that that get boosted to 4.7GHz are the two preferred cores.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro
Cooling AiO 240mm
Memory 2x 32GB Kingston Fury Beast 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) Radeon RX 6900XT Reference (amd.com)
Storage O.S.: 256GB SATA | 2x 1TB SanDisk SSD SATA Data | Games: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo
Display(s) LG 34" UWQHD
Audio Device(s) X-Fi XtremeMusic + Gigaworks SB750 7.1 THX
Power Supply XFX 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless
VR HMD Lenovo Explorer
Software Windows 10 64bit
I just feel likes this whole debate will ultimately depends on whether or not AMD decides to limit the clock of zen 4C vs classic zen 4.
Zen4c clocks lower by design. They're using a denser transistor library, meaning it'll consume less power when the clocks are lower (shorter paths for the current to go through) but at the same time there's more heat density at the same clocks so it can't clock as high.
In practice, this means the Zen4c cores will have different power/frequency curves than Zen4.

It should be a bit like ARMs big vs. LITTLE frequency curves, though less far apart because it's still essentially the same core.