• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel CEO Doesn't See Arm-based Chips as Competition in the PC Sector

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
During the Q3 2023 earnings call, Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger was answering some questions from analysts regarding the company's future and its position on emerging competition. One of the most significant problems the company could face is the potential Arm-based chip development not coming from x86 vendors like Intel and AMD. Instead, there could be fierce competition in the near future with the recently announced Qualcomm Snapdragon Elite X, possible NVIDIA Arm-based PC processor, and in the future, even more Arm CPU providers that Intel would have to compete against in the client segment. During the call, Pat Gelsinger noted that "Arm and Windows client alternatives, generally, they've been relegated to pretty insignificant roles in the PC business. And we take all competition seriously. But I think history as our guide here, we don't see these potentially being all that significant overall. Our momentum is strong. We have a strong roadmap."

Additionally, the CEO noted: "When thinking about other alternative architectures like Arm, we also say, wow, what a great opportunity for our foundry business." If the adoption of Arm-based CPUs for Windows PCs becomes more present, Intel plans to compete with its next-generation x86 offerings like Meteor Lake, Arrow Lake, Lunar Lake, and even Panther Lake in the future. As stated, the CEO expects the competition to manufacture its chips at Intel's foundries so that Intel can provide a platform for these companies to serve the PC ecosystem.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Already Apple's processors are competing, in some tasks, on equal grounds with Intel/AMD's latest.
This guy is delusional, and it's another proof why Intel lost the battle with TMSC and Samsung.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
I love the pro-ARM brigade. Funny dudes!

hs4

If Qualcomm's claim is correct, the Snapdragon Elite X will be tie to M3 and better than the Meteor lake. It will have a similar power/performance curve to the Arrow lake's 4P+8E and slightly higher performance than Lunar lake's 4P+4E, based on their claim.

The foretasted fact that it has the same performance as Intel means that it will not be able to make up for the loss of x86 emulation on ARM, and it will be difficult to compete in the market. Intel is leading the way in the introduction of GAA and BS-PDN. Applied Materials also rated PowerVIA as one generation better than other companies' buried power rail (BPR). It can't be expected a lead based on differences in manufacturing processes as the case with M1 (N5) v Comet lake (14nm).

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
Very strong statement, I hope it plays out well for them.

TheNightLynx

If Qualcomm's claim is correct, the Snapdragon Elite X will be tie to M3 and better than the Meteor lake. It will have a similar power/performance curve to the Arrow lake's 4P+8E and slightly higher performance than Lunar lake's 4P+4E, based on their claim.

The foretasted fact that it has the same performance as Intel means that it will not be able to make up for the loss of x86 emulation on ARM, and it will be difficult to compete in the market. Intel is leading the way in the introduction of GAA and BS-PDN. Applied Materials also rated PowerVIA as one generation better than other companies' buried power rail (BPR). It can't be expected a lead based on differences in manufacturing processes as the case with M1 (N5) v Comet lake (14nm).
True, but realistically nobody can think of an Intel advantage on perf x watt front against ARM. So I think the laptop space is at risk for Intel. From x86 side there is AMD, from efficency side there is ARM.
And in 2024 Windows on ARM is in a better state than now.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Yeah there's no chance at all that arm could out X86 in all computation device's, just look at apple, they ditched X86 and it went terrible for them.

Except it didn't, and that makes these words actually FOOLISH.

I hate apple and don't want to do X86 emulated but even I am not blind to realities, the ecosystem is already in place pretty much.

Just an anecdote.

Notice how x86 CPUs are morphing into ARM structure CPUs and ARM CPUs as of late morph into more x86 structure ones (the use of very powerful X cores).
There's a market realization that a good hybrid build of strong next to weaker more efficient silicon needs to be a thing.

ARM's challenge is definitely not bringing compute. An ARM with a couple of X4 cores and a bunch of A715 cores at 15-20W could bring monstrous compute for day to day tasks.
Most of the issue falls on the fact that x86's software is exactly what it is.

Those tsmc efficiency cores must be very good to keep up with arms power sipping

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
Already Apple's processors are competing, in some tasks, on equal grounds with Intel/AMD's latest.
This guy is delusional, and it's another proof why Intel lost the battle with TMSC and Samsung.
My M1 MBA is certainly capable but I'm more impressed with the GPU side rather than the CPU part. Only thing that really will hurt Apple from supremacy is lack of expansion options with them going full appliance mode.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1000, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
Coming from a company who has perfected the art of stagnation :rolleyes:

Main thing I have to say to Pat is don’t be Steve Balmer. That clown dissed the iPhone for not having a physical keyboard and we saw happened to both Rim (blackberry) and Windows phone. Two dinosaurs went extinct. He didn’t understand what was about to happen. The billions of dollars to be made from app stores.

So Pat had better be careful and take the ARM threat serious. That said, windows on arm is rough around the edges but if the software experience catches up to the x86 build of windows, with killer apps that creators want to use and AAA game support, and Qualcomm is offering better performance per watt, x86 could be in trouble. But, and a big but, Intel seems to have a focus with power efficiency as it shrinks its nodes and offers meteor lake and soon arrow lake/lunar lake. Also, AMD has a big focus on power efficiency. By time snapdragon elite launches, meteor lake will be in market and arrow lake and lunar lake will be nearing launch, and zen5 mobile should be in market or near market launch.

but as we have seen from Apple (and some of the same Apple engineers that worked on Apple silicon are now at Qualcomm working on Oryon), arm chips can offer seriously good performance and consume little power. Apple is about to launch m3 series tonite at 8pm EST, probably offering serious competition vs raptor lake and zen4 mobile. Intel must tread extremely carefully. The arm threat is serious. Do not underestimate estimate arm because the consumer tide can turn over nite, especially if the windows on arm software experience is good and the price is right. But it may take an Oryon generation or two with a solid windows experience and app compatibility before more and more consumers have enough confidence to ditch x86 on PC. Apple silicon has proven that a lifestyle company can make excellent arm-based computing machines and make billions of dollars selling them.

Last edited:
He's just pretending, I mean... if Apple M SOCs didn't exist *maybe* he could believe that, but those literally replaced Intel CPUs on Apple computers

Chinese/Indian brands will start manufacturing ARM computers with Windows, at first probably with Qualcomm(I think there was some kind of exclusivity), but over time low-cost alternatives will come out, like it did for the mobile market, from brands like Meadiatek, Rockchip, Allwinner... like the raspberry pi alternatives

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
When it comes to thermals and power consumption, he's absolutely right. Remember when Intel tried to make SOCs for mobile devices? Those couldn't hack it either.

While i think snapdragon x elite can be a fantastic chip, what apple also has is SOFTWARE.
qualcomm has to rely on microsoft for that which is known for it's "prowess".
So if they can't get a translation layer that is at least as good as rosetta and apps for arm, then they can have whatever chip they want cause they can't magically make a 5x performance chip that will overcome all the shitty software support from microsoft.

System Name Daves
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard AsRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Enermax LIQMAX III 360
Memory 32 GiG Team Group B Die 3600
Video Card(s) Powercolor 5700 xt Red Devil
Storage Crucial MX 500 SSD and Intel P660 NVME 2TB for games
Display(s) Acer 144htz 27in. 2560x1440
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Corsair RM 750
Mouse EVGA
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Windows 10 Pro
He also once said, I think when the 13 gen came out it was the end for AMD.. He is a total TOOL:kookoo:

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
While i think snapdragon x elite can be a fantastic chip, what apple also has is SOFTWARE.
qualcomm has to rely on microsoft for that which is known for it's "prowess".
So if they can't get a translation layer that is at least as good as rosetta and apps for arm, then they can have whatever chip they want cause they can't magically make a 5x performance chip that will overcome all the shitty software support from microsoft.
Dont forget, linux doesnt have ANYTHING in the space. Given how poor MS support is, I cant imagine their rosetta competitor getting any better anytime soon. IIRC it still doesnt support 64 bit software.

God if only apple supported vulcan.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
Translation: We do see this as major competition, we tried to buy SiFive and failed, and we have absolutely no plan. We are scrambling.

I love the pro-ARM brigade. Funny dudes!
Relating back to our diversity conversation, everyone is pro-ARM just most don’t know it. ARM is everywhere which is something Intel wanted with IoT. Every US home has a multitude of OSes and devices using different hardware architectures. Diversity in internet connected devices is working. More specifically in the end-user day to day ‘computer’ crowd:
1698670009578.png

Many people use their smartphones as their primary computer. Paying bills, checking email, browsing the web, gaming. For some it may be the only ‘computer’ they ever own.

The world is already primed for a wide array of diverse devices. Where multiple architectures failed on desktop form factors in the 80s giving rise to Wintel, today’s compute everywhere anytime approach requires different chips, OSes and experiences. Intel’s leadership knows this but continues to downplay reality as if they can will it all away.

TheNightLynx

My M1 MBA is certainly capable but I'm more impressed with the GPU side rather than the CPU part. Only thing that really will hurt Apple from supremacy is lack of expansion options with them going full appliance mode.
... also price and closed hardware and software ecosystems put a problem. And most importantly the lack of competition in the word "supremacy" is a problem from a consumer perspective.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard asus ROG Strix B-350I Gaming
Cooling Deepcool LS520 SE
Memory crucial ballistix 32Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) RTX 3070 FE
Storage WD sn550 1To/WD ssd sata 1To /WD black sn750 1To/Seagate 2To/WD book 4 To back-up
Display(s) LG GL850
Case Dan A4 H2O
Audio Device(s) sennheiser HD58X
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse MX master 3
Keyboard Master Key Mx
Software win 11 pro
True, but realistically nobody can think of an Intel advantage on perf x watt front against ARM. So I think the laptop space is at risk for Intel. From x86 side there is AMD, from efficency side there is ARM.
And in 2024 Windows on ARM is in a better state than now.
I think that zen 4 is actually why Intel think that x86 can compete with ARM. Looks at the score of the 7950x @ 65w. The M2 ultra CPU max out at about 60w and score lower. AMD already caught up, windows laptop having a worse battery life is well...a windows thing.
1698671791319.png
1698671818413.png

I think that zen 4 is actually why Intel think that x86 can compete with ARM. Looks at the score of the 7950x @ 65w. The M2 ultra CPU max out at about 60w and score lower. AMD already caught up, windows laptop having a worse battery life is well...a windows thing.
View attachment 319504View attachment 319505
I wonder what is the sustained clock speed across all cores between the three processors during the test.