• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Increases GeForce NOW Pricing in Canada and Europe

Judging by how fast people dumped local media to spend hundreds a month on every streaming service, I wouldnt get your hopes up. OTOH, gamers hate latency, and no cloud service has been able to sustain itself for long. Nvidia is likely using GPU income to sustain this, for now.

I suggest watching gamernexus' video on game streaming. They used google fiber, to go to stadia, with a <10ms response time. In game, the highest recorded input latency was OVER 500 MS, with multiple games pushing over 350.

Streaming video games is a lot more complicated then streaming HD video, and the latency is horrendous.

In theory it sounds great, being able to rent GPU power and eliminating the need for local hotboxes.

In practice, the work of sending GPU and game commands over the internet introduces far too much latency for anything fast paced or complicated to be enjoyable. You need something like hypothetical quantum mechanics to get latency down to acceptable levels.

I did, and nearly had an aneurism trying to understand it.

Gamernexus here, gamenexus there, scam, physics, impossible, latency, price, ... :)

Try some games on Ultra with following config yourself and you will see.

1697468077097.png

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
What’s the old saying

A fool and their money are soon parted??

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Gamernexus here, gamenexus there, scam, physics, impossible, latency, price, ... :)

Try some games on Ultra with following config yourself and you will see.

View attachment 317740
Use logic. You are not gaming at 19ms. You have a 19ms ping time. But you are forgetting frame processing time (if you get 120fps, add another 8ms; at 60 fps, you have a good 16ms) and then processing of the stream on your system, and then the input lag on your own system on top. Effectively you are at least 25-30ms slower than offline play but often easily 40-60ms. Thats the equivalent of a 30 fps Vsync - or worse- in responsiveness. And thats considering a perfect connection - 19ms is pretty standard on a fast broadband with a same-landmass internet hub but not what most people get especially when they are not wired.

Last edited:

DY69SX

I dont game on my phone and dont use that much data, but I appreciate that some people do. On the subject of Virgin, they are known for spying (packet inspecting) on their customers and throttling any traffic the deem they dont like for any reason.

But back on topic, I never complained about my ISP or the speed I was getting. As someone else has already pointed out, go back and re-read my post chap.
Bruv I mention Three as a example for consideration because you said you have broadband/internet issues ;) and about Virgin am with them on and off since 2005 when the bought my previous ISP Blueyonder ;D and throttling happened only once in the beginning of the biggest scam in the world history!! I called them and bollock them and since then never happen again and I got 250mbit plan but in real it's 285mbit :) and what do you mean by spying (packet inspecting)??

Last edited:
System Name Hulk
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X670E-F Gaming Wi-Fi
Cooling Custom water
Memory 32GB 3600 CL18
Video Card(s) 4090
Display(s) LG 42C2 + Gigabyte Aorus FI32U 32" 4k 120Hz IPS
Case Corsair 750D
Power Supply beQuiet Dark Power Pro 1200W
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 700
Keyboard Logitech G815 GL-Tactile
VR HMD Quest 2
A question for those who are down on streaming games from cloud services, have you tried it? It is unquestionably worse than local, but it can be a shockingly ok gaming experience for games that don't need the lowest input lag possible. Anything in 3rd person / over the shoulder view is totally fine to play. A racing game or a fast-paced fps is not. But then for me even local streaming in my house on Gigabit Ethernet is too high input lag for those types of games.

I agree it's too expensive, given it's only really ok for a cut down selection of games, but if most of what you enjoy playing doesn't need really low input lag & you don't wanna sink £2k into building a PC, I see the appeal.

I was someone who first tested the game streaming water back in the OnLive days! I remember sitting at lunch at work streaming something over 4G & being amazed at how good it was back then. It wasn't good enough, but I was still surprised. I was a Stadia subscriber for a little while too (RIP). That was...kind of impressive & disappointing at the same time. At its best it was a really good experience, but you'd only get stints of a few minutes of its best, before its worst would show itself...

My point was, Internet access & server performance will get stable enough one day for it to be a very viable alternative for a lot of people.

Last edited:

DY69SX

I dont game on my phone and dont use that much data, but I appreciate that some people do. On the subject of Virgin, they are known for spying (packet inspecting) on their customers and throttling any traffic the deem they dont like for any reason.

But back on topic, I never complained about my ISP or the speed I was getting. As someone else has already pointed out, go back and re-read my post chap.
And did you forget you can share your mobile internet with your TV Laptop Tablet PC and any other device! I was using Three 5G for nearly 2 years as my main internet with data usage exceeding 1TB month after month and no issue and even finished CP 2077 trough GF NOW without any problems!

System Name -
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 (4x140 push-pull)
Memory 32GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3733 (8GBx4)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4080 X-trio.
Storage Sabrent Rocket-Plus-G 2TB, Crucial P1 1TB, WD 1TB sata.
Display(s) LG Ultragear 34G750 nano-IPS 34" utrawide
Case Define R6
Audio Device(s) Xfi PCIe
Power Supply Fractal Design ION Gold 750W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 Mini.
Keyboard Logitech K120
VR HMD Er no, pointless.
Software Windows 10 22H2
Benchmark Scores Timespy - 24522 | Crystalmark - 7100/6900 Seq. & 84/266 QD1 |
And did you forget you can share your mobile internet with your TV Laptop Tablet PC and any other device! I was using Three 5G for nearly 2 years as my main internet with data usage exceeding 1TB month after month and no issue and even finished CP 2077 trough GF NOW without any problems!
I daily drive a custom, rooted rom on my android, and it has a firewall and a permission manager - short version it dosent use that much data unless I want it too. And I have a pi-hole install on my home LAN, I blocked all the unessicary traffic from things like the TV, so again, no unnecessary traffic. And all the computers have debloated and tweaked versions of windows 10/11 and all have a custom firewall, so all that unnecessary 'telemetry' is blocked.
Bruv I mention Three as a example for consideration because you said you have broadband/internet issues ;) and about Virgin am with them on and off since 2005 when the bought my previous ISP Blueyonder ;D and throttling happened only once in the beginning of the biggest scam in the world history!! I called them and bollock them and since then never happen again and I got 250mbit plan but in real it's 285mbit :) and what do you mean by spying (packet inspecting)??
I didnt say I had problem with my BB connection. I said that the connection is not always guarenteed, be that from the connection dropping and I having to reset the modem or a power outage because of a brownout. As reasons go for having zero interest in GFN, the afformentioned is fairly low on the list. So at the risk of having to REPEAT myself -
  • A lot of games are still not supported.
  • I can't play ANY games that arent on the service or any of the digital stores.
  • I can't play ANY local games on the service.
  • I can't leverage CUDA in a lot of the applications I use.
I play a few games that are NOT on any digital store and use applications that use cuda. Those two alone mean GFN is doa for me.

System Name -
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 (4x140 push-pull)
Memory 32GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3733 (8GBx4)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4080 X-trio.
Storage Sabrent Rocket-Plus-G 2TB, Crucial P1 1TB, WD 1TB sata.
Display(s) LG Ultragear 34G750 nano-IPS 34" utrawide
Case Define R6
Audio Device(s) Xfi PCIe
Power Supply Fractal Design ION Gold 750W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 Mini.
Keyboard Logitech K120
VR HMD Er no, pointless.
Software Windows 10 22H2
Benchmark Scores Timespy - 24522 | Crystalmark - 7100/6900 Seq. & 84/266 QD1 |
I am simply using a bit of common sense, so if that means some people are going to taking the mick, whatever.

I assume you mean "OpnWRT" and I have tried it. I dont like the gui, its even more users unfriendly than pfsense, were such a thing possible.