• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Qi v2.0 Standard for Wireless Charging Is Now Ready to Provide Enhanced User Experience

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
The Wireless Power Consortium's (WPC) next generation standard for wireless charging, Qi v2.0, will soon be delivering on its promise of magnetic attachment, faster charging, higher efficiency and greater convenience as the first Qi2 mobile devices complete certification testing. In addition to an enhanced user experience, Qi v2.0 unifies the industry under one global standard.

The first Qi v2.0 Certified products will be available in time for the holiday season starting with Apple's iPhone 15 lineup and a host of power transmitters. Belkin, Mophie, Anker and Aircharge have all pre-announced Qi2 products. Over 100 devices are currently in testing or in the certification testing queue.

The WPC introduced Qi2 (pronounced 'chee two') earlier this year at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, where it was met with industry-wide praise including 'Best Mobile Tech' and 'Best in Show' awards from industry publications.

The Qi v2.0 standard consists of two profiles, the Magnetic Power Profile (MPP) which is based on MagSafe technology contributed by Apple to WPC and branded with the Qi2 logo, and an enhancement to the existing wireless charging Extended Power Profile (EPP) that does not include magnets but complies with the Qi v2.0 standard. New Qi v2.0 EPP products will be branded with the existing Qi logo consumers know and use today.

"We are thrilled to see our members rapidly embracing Qi v2.0 and building ecosystems of accessories for Qi2 devices," said Fady Mishriki, the chair of the WPC's Board of Directors. "We fully expect to see Qi v2.0 quickly become the de facto global standard for wireless charging."

"These certified Qi2 chargers provide smoother, faster charging that is more energy efficient, and offers wide interoperability," added Paul Struhsaker, executive director for the WPC. "Plus, Qi2's magnetic attachment also means consumers will no longer have to fuss in trying to adjust the positioning of their devices to ensure perfect alignment between phone and charger."

The global wireless charging market this year will exceed one billion devices, including transmitters and receivers. The availability of the Qi2 profile will further expand the wireless charging market by opening the market for new types of accessories that previously couldn't be charged wirelessly.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Meh. Would much rather have larger batteries so we can just rely on a wired charger once in a blue moon instead of cooking our lithium cells with wireless power induction.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
Meh. Would much rather have larger batteries so we can just rely on a wired charger once in a blue moon instead of cooking our lithium cells with wireless power induction.
Both can exist at the same time, faster safer wireless charging and bigger batteries. Owning several Qi compat devices over a span of 8 years, I've yet to personally have any signs that wireless charging has significantly degraded my batteries beyond my expectations based on wired charging.

Ah yes. "wireless". Truth is there's still a wire to the charger itself so wireless charging only reduces wear on the USB-C port but does not reduce clutter on the desk.

System Name LMDESKTOPv2
Processor Intel i9 10850K
Motherboard ASRock Z590 PG Velocita
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 w/ Maintenance Kit
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600 CL18 2x16
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti FE
Storage Intel Optane 900p 280GB, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 2TB Team Vulkan SSD, 2TB Seagate HDD, 4TB Team MP34 SSD
Display(s) HP Omen 27q, HP 25er
Case Fractal Design Meshify C Steel Panel
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GSX 1000, Schiit Magni Heresy, Sennheiser HD560S
Power Supply Corsair HX850 V2
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legendary Edition
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2 (w/ BOBO VR battery strap)
Software Win 10 Professional
Ah yes. "wireless". Truth is there's still a wire to the charger itself so wireless charging only reduces wear on the USB-C port but does not reduce clutter on the desk.
With Qi2 being magnetic you could have a charger on the side of a desk to charge your phone. Which if anything would save space on the desk as you wouldn't have to charge your phone on the desk you could just magnetize it to the side with the charger.

Both can exist at the same time, faster safer wireless charging and bigger batteries. Owning several Qi compat devices over a span of 8 years, I've yet to personally have any signs that wireless charging has significantly degraded my batteries beyond my expectations based on wired charging.
Older less efficient chargers would cause my phone to run hot and caused some degradation to my battery vs a wire at the same wattage. However most new chargers are more efficient and I've got one that even has a cooling fan and runs cooler than just charging with a wire at the same wattage.

Hmm, I use my induction stove to charge my phone. Works like a charm!