• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Improves Stability and Frame-pacing of Fluid Motion Frames Preview Driver

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
AMD over the past months has been releasing periodic updates to its Fluid Motion Frames preview drivers. These are off-trunk drivers that serve to demonstrate the capabilities of Fluid Motion Frames (FMF), a technology that enables near-doubling of frame-rates for every game, through interpolation techniques, similar to what you find in consumer televisions. The tech works on DirectX 12 and DirectX 11 games, on Windows 10 and Windows 11 machines, and for Radeon RX 7000 series and RX 6000 series GPUs. The December 7th update is based on the Adrenalin 23.12.1 drivers (i.e. includes all changes and improvements AMD introduced with those drivers), plus enablement for FMF, although the driver isn't WHQL certified. With this release, AMD says that it introduced several application stability improvements for FMF. The company also reduced stutter and improved frame-pacing. Grab the driver from the link below.

DOWNLOAD: AMD Fluid Motion Frames Preview Driver—December 7 Update

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
Nice. AFMF has its uses.

(I'm still trying to figure out how to get my 6500XT AFMF'ing my WX9100s' rendering.
Would be handy for the upcoming UE5 titles I'm interested in)

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory T-Create 32gb 6000 CL 30
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv +150 core
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
I hope it keeps getting better. This is good news.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
Interpolation and stuff like frame generation seem to be kind of a necessity in a world of heavily used RT effects, unoptimized games and a stubborn race to some arbitrary “photorealism” point. So good on AMD for improving what is inevitably going to end up being another crutch for developers to lean on to explain away why games run like absolute garbage on hardware that costs the equivalent of a small countries GDP.
I am acerbic, yes, and AMD should still get props for their work. I just never thought we one day as PC enthusiasts will look at interpolation for frame delivery and go “yeah, that seems fair”.

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Nice to have, still don't really care tbh

Native frames, native render, and I'm good. But then I'm also one of those who likes a neutral EQ on my monitor speakers, and what not. If something is adding 'special' sauce to a presentation, I don't want it, I'll notice it, and it'll annoy me.

Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G

Native frames, native render, and I'm good. But then I'm also one of those who likes a neutral EQ on my monitor speakers, and what not. If something is adding 'special' sauce to a presentation, I don't want it, I'll notice it, and it'll annoy me.
Even the whole “native render” is getting muddy these days. We already saw with Alan Wake 2 how the game forces upscaling essentially with the only option to avoid it being DLAA. UE5 is set to push its TAAU as the default option too, it seems, which will further move the goalpost. I am not saying that there is no place for upscaling, it’s absolutely a useful tool for making games reach higher framerates. I am just not convinced that over reliance on it will lead to anything good. I am not advocating for going back to forward renderers and MSAA (although it IS arguably the best way to get a clean image), I just want the temporal techniques and frame gen to be an option that the user can choose rather than a necessity for the game to run at all.

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max
Cooling stock crap AMD wraith cooler
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro RX580 8GBs
Storage Adata Gammix S11 Pro 1TB nvme
Case Corsair Caribide Air 540
Interpolation and stuff like frame generation seem to be kind of a necessity in a world of heavily used RT effects, unoptimized games and a stubborn race to some arbitrary “photorealism” point. So good on AMD for improving what is inevitably going to end up being another crutch for developers to lean on to explain away why games run like absolute garbage on hardware that costs the equivalent of a small countries GDP.
I am acerbic, yes, and AMD should still get props for their work. I just never thought we one day as PC enthusiasts will look at interpolation for frame delivery and go “yeah, that seems fair”.
You know it's bad when even Onasis is complaining about the costs of hardware!

(sorry man, couldn't resist, in actuality I agree with everything you wrote)

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX 3080 10GB OC
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer XV273K 4K120 + Lenovo L32p-30 4K60
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Mouse Logitech MX518 + Asus TUF P1 mousepad
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K

For me, 4K60 and FSR quality (if needed) is all I need, I can sacrifice visuals from games settings. But in overall, technologies like these are still new, so I'm sure that they will improve over time.

True sound and True vision. Probably should upgrade those monitor speakers, if you are talking about an actual monitor xD

AMD is going to have to bite the bullet and implement dedicated, real dedicated, hardware to really compete with nVidia on ML scaling and frame generation.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7

Even enthusiasts look at benchmark graphs and call the product A that is 1% faster great and the product B garbage. So in a world where consumers don't care about image quality as they do about frame rates, interpolation and FG became a necessity because of the consumers. 15 years ago attempts of this type where called "cheats", removed and companies apologizing. Today AMD needs to follow Nvidia or just exit the gaming market.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
True sound and True vision. Probably should upgrade those monitor speakers, if you are talking about an actual monitor xD
Monitor studio speakers ;)

Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Monitor studio speakers ;)
Real chads get NS-10s, disregard that fact they sound like absolute butt and “enjoy” their accurate, fairly flat sound.

No, but jokes aside, if anyone reads this, please don’t get NS-10s for home use, grab a pair of HS8 or something.

Hello,
tested several hours last weekend this AFMF driver with Talos princinple 2 on 7900XTX @4K TSR Quality and other settings at higest/ultra
conclusion : its really great !

-double the fps from 60-100fps to 120-200fps
-feel smoother
-no stuttering noticed
-no artifacts noticed
-no lags noticed
-new metric data called Frame Gen Lag : arround 15ms
-only thing I noticed is the Micro Sutter indicator was much more jumpy than w/o AFMF, with peaks sometime arround 20% Im not sure, couldn't properly read the metric as the title overlap the figure.

but globally speaking I will keep this feature on as it work well for me. thumb up AMD.

IMG_20231210_161544.jpg

I really see the benefit for this kind of solo games that you wanna max out quality, and where 15ms lag is unnoticeable.

I was thinking like you, but I changed my opinion, cause if you wanna play the latest 3D games in 4k with maxed out visual settings sometimes you can't reach 40 fps, which feels quite laggy. but with DLSS/FSR/TSR you can get 60-70fps easily, and if on top of that you add AFMF frame gen or DLSS3 then you get 120-140fps.

lowering the visual settings compared to activating one of those DLSS/FSR/TSR upscalers is much more impacting. the game can't look as good.

that said, for Talos 2 I noticed quite some shimmering with FSR2, which was a no go. this is where TSR shines, no shimmering and still a good frame boost.

I can't notice the difference from 4k TSR Quality vs 4k native, but I surely see a big difference when I lower the visual settings from high/ultra to medium/high, you loose some visual effects that add deepness to the game. lowering the visual settings feels like you are playing a game from the 2010s era.

anyway, just test both, and pick-up what you prefer best. personnaly I now love upscaling for solo games.

Attachments

• IMG_20231210_161544.jpg
    IMG_20231210_161544.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Hello,
tested several hours last weekend this AFMF driver with Talos princinple 2 on 7900XTX @4K TSR Quality and other settings at higest/ultra
conclusion : its really great !

-double the fps from 60-100fps to 120-200fps
-feel smoother
-no stuttering noticed
-no artifacts noticed
-no lags noticed
-new metric data called Frame Gen Lag : arround 15ms
-only thing I noticed is the Micro Sutter indicator was much more jumpy than w/o AFMF, with peaks sometime arround 20% Im not sure, couldn't properly read the metric as the title overlap the figure.

but globally speaking I will keep this feature on as it work well for me. thumb up AMD.

View attachment 325315

I really see the benefit for this kind of solo games that you wanna max out quality, and where 15ms lag is unnoticeable.

I was thinking like you, but I changed my opinion, cause if you wanna play the latest 3D games in 4k with maxed out visual settings sometimes you can't reach 40 fps, which feels quite laggy. but with DLSS/FSR/TSR you can get 60-70fps easily, and if on top of that you add AFMF frame gen or DLSS3 then you get 120-140fps.

lowering the visual settings compared to activating one of those DLSS/FSR/TSR upscalers is much more impacting. the game can't look as good.

that said, for Talos 2 I noticed quite some shimmering with FSR2, which was a no go. this is where TSR shines, no shimmering and still a good frame boost.

I can't notice the difference from 4k TSR Quality vs 4k native, but I surely see a big difference when I lower the visual settings from high/ultra to medium/high, you loose some visual effects that add deepness to the game. lowering the visual settings feels like you are playing a game from the 2010s era.

anyway, just test both, and pick-up what you prefer best. personnaly I now love upscaling for solo games.
But I don't want to play in 4K, and I also don't really have a soft spot for the umpteenth hand holding affair.

Matter of fact, I never chase the cutting edge because its a recipe for added cost, added effort, and all that just to say you're first. I don't care. I play games when they are playable and feature/DLC complete. Every time I deviate from that... in the end... I find myself wondering why. Its just not worth it anymore, and perhaps it never was. But today? You're beta testing a paid product. Fuck that. And on top of that, they (*companies) have the gall to add MTX and DLC on top of that. Escalation, is what I see. I'm not paying for that dystopia.

Similar things apply to AFMF, FSR, DLSS, and RT.
This shit is forever in beta thus far. Enjoy, but I'll not waste a second doing someone else's work after paying for it. Also, I haven't REALLY heard anyone who really did game on their current GPU for that much longer because of these technologies. I have one example myself, and that's Cyberpunk with FSR on a GTX 1080. That was alright, but you still need to upgrade at some point regardless. But we have many more examples of games just actively using these techs to either kill performance, or elevate it from being dead in the water to something playable, and more and more games are just baking it in by default. But its not nearly in a state where it should be.

Still, point taken. Its just not for me - its like wanting to find issues so you can solve them. I'm partial to avoidance... and partial to paying a budget bin price for games, since there's far too many coming out :)

But I don't want to play in 4K, and I also don't really have a soft spot for the umpteenth hand holding affair.

Matter of fact, I never chase the cutting edge ...

I also play pixel arts games with my 7900xtx and have a lot of fun :oops:

I fully agree with everything you said. After all, gaming is just a hobby, what matters is to enjoy the experience.

Cyberpunk was awesome, well liked it too. Discovered "Hunt : Shodown" recently, playing with some friends, excellent game, CryEngine a bit old but still the graphics and ambiant are reaally good, amazing Sound design. no need upscalling to max out fps. I do recommend that one for those who haven't tried.