• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Alphacool Announces Apex Stealth Metal Fan

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix z690-A WiFi D4
Cooling Noctua D15s/MX6
Memory TEAM GROUP 32GB DDR4 4000C16 B die
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB
Storage M.2 drives-Crucial P5 500GB 4x4/WD SN850X 4TB 4x4/WD SN850X 2TB 4x4
Display(s) Dell s3422dwg 34" 3440x1440p 144hz ultrawide
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x 80% gold
Mouse Logitech G604 wireless
Keyboard Logitech G413 carbon
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Who cares
Going by the stats on these, they could very well make me switch from the nice Noctua fans on my radiator. The flow at max speed is not the most important, as my fans are probably never at the 2000 rpm, max. So hopefully they will be as good as the nocs in the 500 to maybe 1500 rpm range that all my fans are set too on my fan curve. I just switch the controller source between CPU/GPU/H2o temp
fan curve.jpg

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Motherboard MSI x570S Unify-X Max
Cooling D5 clone, 280 rad, two F14 + three F12S bottom/intake, two P14S + F14S (Rad) + two F14 (top)
Memory 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance bdie 3600@CL16 1.35v
Video Card(s) GB 2080S WaterForce WB
Storage six M.2 pcie gen 4
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar AE, modded Sennheiser HD 558, Klipsch 2.1 THX
Power Supply Corsair RMx 750w
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
Benchmark Scores TimeSpy score Fire Strike Ultra SuperPosition CB20
@FoulOnWhite
those kind of parts arent really needed to start with LC, even a 100$ Arctic AIO is better in lowering case air temp/dumping heat externally,
than any air cooler will ever do.

i have no problem with experienced ppl using more expensive parts, but especially ppl using LC for the first time,
should start with something like an AIO (maybe with G1/4), and later swap/add parts.

i have the parts i mentioned earlier, running a 2080S on the loop as well, and short of doubling rad/pump etc,
i havent seen meaningful lower temps on more expensive loops.
and thats with the cpu block alone costing as much as Arctics 240 AIO.

i would never swap the cooler on a gpu, as you are always paying "more" (vs if it was not having a HS at all),
and usually the blocks are still more expensive than buying a WB gpu, ignoring for a moment that most brands
that offer WB, are usually binning the chips, with the LC units getting the best ones.
and you dont have to deal with (possible) warranty loss, or even the additional "work" of swapping the coolers.

Processor RYZEN 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Aorus B-550I Pro AX
Cooling HEATKILLER IV PRO , EKWB Vector FTW3 3080/3090 , Barrow res + Xylem DDC 4.2, SE 240 + Dabel 20b 240
Memory Viper Steel 4000 PVS416G400C6K
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW3
Storage XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVMe + Samsung 980 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case NR 200
Power Supply CORSAIR SF750
Mouse Logitech G PRO
Keyboard Meletrix Zoom 75 GT Silver
Software Windows 11 22H2
You also need to consider the difference between measured and perceived noise level. ;) A high pitch can be measured as less noisy but perceived as way more distracting (f.e. coil whine).

Sure but that's a different topic . Point was those measurements ( only measured noise ) were very dodgy compared to 3rd party measurements so they need to be taken with a huge grain of salt untill 3rd party measurements from major reviewers start to appear .

Chris213

Due to their announced performance ( and the debated results form igorsLab) Do you think on fan can replace a push/pull config with "normal" plastic fans on a thick radiator ?

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
@FoulOnWhite
those kind of parts arent really needed to start with LC, even a 100$ Arctic AIO is better in lowering case air temp/dumping heat externally,

i have no problem with experienced ppl using more expensive parts, but especially ppl using LC for the first time,
should start with something like an AIO (maybe with G1/4), and later swap/add parts.

i have the parts i mentioned earlier, running a 2080S on the loop as well, and short of doubling rad/pump etc,

i would never swap the cooler on a gpu, as you are always paying "more" (vs if it was not having a HS at all),
and usually the blocks are still more expensive than buying a WB gpu, ignoring for a moment that most brands
that offer WB, are usually binning the chips, with the LC units getting the best ones.
and you dont have to deal with (possible) warranty loss, or even the additional "work" of swapping the coolers.
Totally agree. The issue (depending on your position) is the heat that the Rad(s) give off to heat up the ambient temp in your environment.

@FoulOnWhite

Totally agree. The issue (depending on your position) is the heat that the Rad(s) give off to heat up the ambient temp in your environment.
Alphacool Quick connect is how I got into LC. I still use it today, no need to drain the loop to change a GPU.

Do. Not. Preorder. Fans.
Now that Der8auer (and Cybenetics if you prefer stringent and fully standardised testing) have debunked all the dodgy marketing I hope no one believed Igor/Alphacool and threw their money away preordering fans.

I hope @EddyAlphacool will chime in to say that they (especially Cybenetics) have tested the fans wrong and double down on the BS.

Last edited:
System Name The Dark side of the room
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570 Unify
Cooling Custom loop watercooling (Bykski CPU-XPR-POM-M-V2, Alphacool Eisblock GPX, Freezemod PU-PWM5B18W)
Memory GSkill Ripjaws V DDR4 3600 CL16 (4 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster QICK 319 Radeon RX 6700 XT
Storage 1 x Kingston KC3000 1024GB + 2 x Kingston NV2 2TB
Display(s) LG 34WP65C Ultrawide 3440x1440 @ 160Hz freesync premium
Case Thermaltake Core P90 TG
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek® ALC1220 with Logitech Z906
Power Supply MSI MAG A850GF 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Trust Asta GTX 865
Software Windows 11 pro
Benchmark Scores It's a form of exhibitionism...;-), but fun Software programs just have to run nicely....
Went through the YT reviews a few moments ago and I'm convinced it is just another exellent performing fan in the playing field.
Differences between the tested models are nicely shown in numbers/values, but in real live are merely marginal.

I'm again amused by how peeps get upset and want to roast Alphacool marketing for over-qualifying their product before launching it.
It's the nature marketing, they have to sell their product and just want a piece of the pie in a flooded product segment.
Like lots of experienced forum members always say; wait for independed tests and then form an opinion, based on facts.

In terms of fan evolution, I would rather like to see the central fanhub/motor disappearing and have some sort of mag-lev motor around the outside of the impellor. That way you create a bigger impellor surface where the air can get through and no mechanical friction (except for the pushed air) :laugh:.

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Cooling Noctua D15s/MX6
Case Corsair 7000D
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s DAC/PCamp TC 1680 AMP/MS M10 Speakers/Bowers and Wilkins P7 Headphones
Software Windows 10 Pro
Well, i am going to stick to the Noctua NF-A12

EddyAlphacool

Alphacool Rep
System Name Work / Eddy 1 / Wive 2
Processor i5-8500 / i7 13700kf / i9 12900k
Motherboard They work, no super duper whatever.
Cooling Eisbaer / Alphacool Enterprise stuff / Alphacool Enterprise stuff
Memory 16GB / 32 GB DDR5-5600 / 64GB DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) 4090 / 4080 / 2080TI
Storage 1TB SDD / 2TB M.2 + 2TB HDD / 2TB M.2 SSD + 1TB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 49" UWHQD / 32" UWHQD / 32" UWHQD
Case Jonsbo / TT TG6 White / TT TG6 Green
Audio Device(s) Audio? Monitor Speaker ...lol
Power Supply 400W / 1200W / 1200W
Mouse Mionix Naos / Mionix Naos / Logitech
Keyboard Logitech K740 / K740 / Craft
@Nephilim666
I'm not going to say that Cybernetic, STS, Igor or even DerBauer or all those who follow are testing something wrong. Because if you're honest, you can dissect any test and accuse it of a wrong approach to testing. Why is one measuring device used and not the other? Why is the radiator or the air cooler used for testing? Why is the volume measured on a radiator and not on a case? The list goes on and on.
Everyone has their own test setup and draws their own results from it. We could also have blocked all reviews to show only the best test results for us. But we sent fans to everyone who wanted to test them.
Regardless of whether we had a good or bad standing with the reviewers or had already done something with the reviewers.
For example, STS is someone we have never worked with directly before, so that we get as many results as possible.
And over 250 fans was sent out to reviewer. These will also come in the next few weeks or months.
Either way, with the Stealth fan, everyone gets an excellent fan that is extremely quiet and offers a unique feel.

Btw STS video:

Last edited:
System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Cooling Noctua D15s/MX6
Case Corsair 7000D
Software Windows 10 Pro
It is always nice to have some new good looking fans in the mix. According to the reviews i have seen, they are not awful by any means and i will more than likely buy a couple for my own curiosity. I did a lot of reading before i chose the Noctua NF-A12's even though some say they are the best and some not. They are certainly not cheap though, so any new fans that can come close at a better price will be a win in my book.

For what it's worth, I like STS' review since they do address the difference in perceived noise vs a mere decibel number, and the Stealth M Fans do appear to sound quieter in the normal, perceivable range at certain RPMs vs the Phanteks T30 and the Noctua A12x25, and we also get a decent audio sample of them in the best controlled scenario yet (until GN and maybe LTT put the fans through their paces in their anechoic test chambers).

As well, STS' review (and Jayz' review) mention how straight the flow path and throw distance appears to be relative to the two top rivals, which brings to mind server-grade fans (and the old Silverstone Air Penetrators), thanks to the counter-vanes that also serve to hold the hub to the frame body, which are used to help straighten the airflow for more a tighter projection, and depending, penetration rate, of air. Seems like it'd be great for intake, but would probably do well with a small spacer or shroud to allow some air to build-up and flow past the dead spot directly behind the hub and to the corner spots on radiators (unlike the two competitors where the air is flung out in a cone, hitting the corners). Especially since Der8auer's tests show some issues in the radiator tests.

That said, I am curious if the Stealth Metal Fan is optimized on high FPI radiators or low FPI radiators. Are those still even a thing nowadays? I recall it used to be a big deal even after custom watercooling became mainstream in the 2010s since Europe used to prefer low FPI rads and lower-RPM fans vs America using high FPI rads and higher RPM fans to get enough air through it. As well, what radiator thicknesses it's ideal for, as the radiator's thickness can affect performance too. Here's hoping GN can do a deep dive with them covering all that, like they did in one of their past fan reviews. Although I don't think they'll cover performance with a shroud/spacer, since that's still apparently too niche for mainstream watercooling (I still do it, space permitting).

Addition: Hardware Busters has done their review of the Alphacool Metal Fan utilizing a Long Win fan testing device. It's worth noting that the tests are strictly comparing it in a free flow manner (insofar as no heatsink or radiator testing). Spec-wise, it aligns with Alphacool's revised package numbers, which were based off the Cybernetics testing.

YT Summary of his review:

As more reviews trickle in, I'm reconsidering my position on these for now. They look great, and perform somewhere in the upper-middle depending on review and use-case, but I'll probably end up sticking with the Phanteks T30s, the Super Flower MEGACOOLs, or the SanAces I currently have.

Addition: Hardware Busters has done their review of the Alphacool Metal Fan utilizing a Long Win fan testing device. It's worth noting that the tests are strictly comparing it in a free flow manner (insofar as no heatsink or radiator testing). Spec-wise, it aligns with Alphacool's revised package numbers, which were based off the Cybernetics testing.

YT Summary of his review:

As more reviews trickle in, I'm reconsidering my position on these for now. They look great, and perform somewhere in the upper-middle depending on review and use-case, but I'll probably end up sticking with the Phanteks T30s, the Super Flower MEGACOOLs, or the SanAces I currently have.
I'm still waiting on Gamer Nexus, Hardware Canucks, and of course Techpowerup to have reviews.

A Swedish review also shows disappointing results, and Igor's Lab themselves have released a bunch of confused forum posts on how they need to redo measurements because of unreliable measurement equipment. Honestly turning out to be a big joke aside from having low noise levels at high RPMs (which does not translate directly to good performance)
At this point there are multiple reviews that all point in the same direction, that this is a big flop.

System Name BigRed
Processor I7 12700k
Cooling Noctua D15s/MX6
Case Corsair 7000D
Software Windows 10 Pro
A Swedish review also shows disappointing results, and Igor's Lab themselves have released a bunch of confused forum posts on how they need to redo measurements because of unreliable measurement equipment. Honestly turning out to be a big joke aside from having low noise levels at high RPMs (which does not translate directly to good performance)
At this point there are multiple reviews that all point in the same direction, that this is a big flop.

Just read that test, not biased at all and a pretty poor result for the stealth fan.

Deesider

@Nephilim666
I'm not going to say that Cybernetic, STS, Igor or even DerBauer or all those who follow are testing something wrong. Because if you're honest, you can dissect any test and accuse it of a wrong approach to testing. Why is one measuring device used and not the other? Why is the radiator or the air cooler used for testing? Why is the volume measured on a radiator and not on a case? The list goes on and on.
Everyone has their own test setup and draws their own results from it. We could also have blocked all reviews to show only the best test results for us. But we sent fans to everyone who wanted to test them.
Regardless of whether we had a good or bad standing with the reviewers or had already done something with the reviewers.
For example, STS is someone we have never worked with directly before, so that we get as many results as possible.
And over 250 fans was sent out to reviewer. These will also come in the next few weeks or months.
Either way, with the Stealth fan, everyone gets an excellent fan that is extremely quiet and offers a unique feel.

Btw STS video:
Isn't the issue that Alphacool (i.e. you) promoted presales of the fan using results that you knew were impossible?

There is no test setup where the results below can be achieved, and yet you told everyone that these results are real.

Idly, Scythe's new flagship and successor to their former Gentle Typhoons, the Grand Tornado, is now available for sale for 20 USD. Should be a good option to test as well against the likes of the classic GT, the A12x25, the T30, the Alphacool Apex Metal Fan, and the Super Flower Megacool.

Notably, it runs in a clockwise manner, so one could do novel things if paired with a counter-clockwise fan to straighten out the airflow (tweaking the RPMs to adjust the conical air throw), similar to server-grade 76mm fans that use two fans to both straighten and send the air a long ways.