• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Looking to Grab Microsoft Xbox Semi-custom SoC Business from AMD

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Audio Device(s) KEF LSX II LT speakers + KEF KC62 Subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
Game Pass is their strategy. They don’t CARE how you get into their ecosystem and on what devices, just that you DO. They have no intentions of trying to beat Sony in a console war. It’s pointless. The mind share is too strong, people snatched up PS5s even when it had f**k all to play on it. But winning the subscription service for games market before it’s even fully formed? Now that is something they want. And arguing profitability is kinda pointless seeing how for MS the XBox division is something where they can play the long game and subsidize it via their different ventures. Sony is a completely washed up company, on the other hand, with their gaming division being almost the one thing keeping them afloat. That, and camera sensors. Even the strategy you mentioned with PC releases seems to be out of necessity, not anything else. And seeing how it’s accelerating (new Horizon is already coming to PC quite quickly) it seems that the increased budgets are forcing their hand.

Microsoft isn’t perfect by any means, the fact that they looked at getting BG3 on the Pass and decided against it, while valuing it only at 5 million as a “niche Stadia exclusive” shows that they are often quite blind to opportunities.

Sony is worth 120bil usd, barely twice the amount MS paid for Activision :laugh:, yet Sony still won.

I would love to see MS lose some more too, GamePass is killing the fun out of games...

Obviously this makes no sense in the near term. If Intel were to finally have a the world's most advanced processess like they used to, then yeah. They'd have to stop buying wafers from TSMC first. Also, TSMC will be producing wafers in the US by then too.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
@Imouto
*shrug* I am not saying that they will be successful. I have no skin in the game, never was a console gamer and I dislike subscriptions, so for me it’s all the same, really. I am just relaying what their strategy is, probably. I agree that at some point the idea of stringing along the unprofitable XBox division might become too unappealing and they will just throw their hands up and leave. I don’t THINK they will since they also probably see the gaming side as useful on Windows to push OTHER MS products too, but who even knows at this point.

Sony is worth 120bil usd, barely twice the amount MS paid for Activision :laugh:, yet Sony still won.
Sony has been a one-eyed man in a blind kingdom since PS1. Winning is sorta a foregone conclusion when one of your opponents is content doing its own thing (Nintendo) and the other has been floundering and from the start failed to secure a foothold in an important at the time market (Microsoft). The only time they messed up badly was the first half of the PS3 generation when the outrageous price and hard to develop for architecture really slowed down the consoles adoption.

System Name Machine XV
Processor Dual Xeon E5 2670 V3 Turbo unlocked
Motherboard Kllisre X99 Dual
Cooling 120mm heatsink
Memory 64gb DDR4 ECC
Video Card(s) RX 480 4Gb
Storage 1Tb NVME SSD
Display(s) 19" + 23" + 17"
Case ATX
Audio Device(s) XFi xtreme USB
Power Supply 800W
Software Windows 10
The main advantage to intel would be to get devs working on their hardware. How much driver and software advances have AMD been able to make with the consoles leading the charge. if there was one console AMD one INTEL nvidias numbers for graphics wouldnt be that great as they would firmly be in third place when it comes to the pure number of graphics chips out there. but nvidia wont care because they have AI now.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
They can put all the mid games they want on Game Pass and players will still play Baldur's Gate 3 for months wondering why they are paying for a subscription.
Microsoft doesn't care if you don't think Game Pass is good value or not, they only care if you stop paying for it. And the subscription model has proved amazing at user retention, regardless of the actual value delivered - because of the customers who look at their sub and go "y'know, this isn't really worth it", the vast majority then go "but it's only a few bucks a month and if I ever want it again I have to set it up again, and that's too much effort, so I'll leave it alone".

That's why this model is the holy grail of any company: it provides a reliable, predictable income stream that requires very little additional investment. As long as you don't mess with the fundamentals of that model, you can spend all of your R&D on capturing more of the market. This is where MS succeeds and Sony fails, because MS has the massive value add of being multi-platform.

As for Baldur's Gate 3, sure that was a miss... but do you know what wasn't? Palworld. And while I'm sure you'll turn your nose up at that game because it's for casuals, that's the reason it's successful and the absolute best way for MS to grow subscriptions is to get more casual gamers onto Game Pass - and they are extremely aware of this.

MS has had a lot of misses during its existence, but Game Pass is absolutely not one of them. It may not yet be a roaring success in terms of making money, but given the traditional resistance to games as a service, I'd argue it's doing quite well for itself in terms of attracting and - most importantly - keeping users. And while it's never going to be the next Azure even if it reaches profitability, I would not be at all surprised if it ends up one of the dominant models for games consumption, perhaps even competing with Steam.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
All American made chip? But their GPUs even integrated ones are made by TSMC. So it does not make sense to me. And while I think there are merits to Intel’s solution, I don’t think their software is good enough at this point. The performance is all over the place and may be a nightmare for game developers to work with.
I guess Texas is not a part of the US. So quickly we forget that AMD is already an American company.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
And while it's never going to be the next Azure even if it reaches profitability, I would not be at all surprised if it ends up one of the dominant models for games consumption, perhaps even competing with Steam.
That’s a good bet, honestly. Not like there is much competition. GOG is barely limping along, the publisher-made launchers and storefronts are dying out. And Epic? Epic will inevitably run out of Fortnite cash to keep EGS afloat. That model is unsustainable for them.

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Keyboard Logitech G510

I would love to see MS lose some more too, GamePass is killing the fun out of games...
Only us in the social space actually care about those things. MS is one of the richest Companies on Earth period. Gamepass is not killing the fun. They are killing the financial incentive to make Games. The fact that I have never seen the same Game on Humble Choice speaks volumes and I have been on that since 2017. Now they own some of the biggest studios and want to act like Disney without the humanistic lean. How many developers have already lost their jobs from the studios they have bought?

Stand alone consoles are slowly being replaced by cloud gaming. New Samsung TVs have cloud gaming already built in where you can play the latest games without any consoles. MS knows this and are pushing it. Soon you'll be playing video games on the cloud and played on the latest pc gaming system without needing to buy the latest cpu/gpu. This will become reality when everyone moves to 5G.

That's why this model is the holy grail of any company
The real holy grail I'd argue is being the house ~ as the house always wins!
Alphabet posted good Q4 results - ended the fiscal year on a 9% high
Microsoft FY24 Q2 Financial Performance
Look at those insane margins, especially Google o_O

Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi 6)
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S (two fans)
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) Reference Vega 64
Storage Intel 665p 1TB, WD Black SN850X 2TB, Crucial MX300 1TB SATA, Samsung 830 256 GB SATA
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG27, and Samsung S23A700
Case Fractal Design R5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME TITANIUM 850W
Mouse Logitech
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Windows 11 Pro, and Ubuntu 20.04
Only us in the social space actually care about those things. MS is one of the richest Companies on Earth period. Gamepass is not killing the fun. They are killing the financial incentive to make Games. The fact that I have never seen the same Game on Humble Choice speaks volumes and I have been on that since 2017. Now they own some of the biggest studios and want to act like Disney without the humanistic lean. How many developers have already lost their jobs from the studios they have bought?
Perhaps they are looking to emulate Disney which is the epitome of corporate scumbags in the entertainment world.

Microsoft doesn't care if you don't think Game Pass is good value or not, they only care if you stop paying for it. And the subscription model has proved amazing at user retention, regardless of the actual value delivered - because of the customers who look at their sub and go "y'know, this isn't really worth it", the vast majority then go "but it's only a few bucks a month and if I ever want it again I have to set it up again, and that's too much effort, so I'll leave it alone".

That's why this model is the holy grail of any company: it provides a reliable, predictable income stream that requires very little additional investment. As long as you don't mess with the fundamentals of that model, you can spend all of your R&D on capturing more of the market. This is where MS succeeds and Sony fails, because MS has the massive value add of being multi-platform.
I agree that it's the holy grail for a company and at the same time I think it's a terrible match for video-games and the stagnation for all the companies involved prove it. They'd have to spin it real hard and get literally the whole industry into it to make it work. This time they are not taking the industry by storm because it isn't what the users or the industry are looking for.

As for Baldur's Gate 3, sure that was a miss... but do you know what wasn't? Palworld. And while I'm sure you'll turn your nose up at that game because it's for casuals, that's the reason it's successful and the absolute best way for MS to grow subscriptions is to get more casual gamers onto Game Pass - and they are extremely aware of this.
I didn't mean it as something they let escape. I mean it as an absolute banger not being in a subscription like many others "must play" that keeps you occupied for months. As for Palworld, the vast majority is playing it on Steam so I don't think it's the win some people make it to be. It's hilarious to see how MS failed yet again against Steam because their console is incompatible with an Early Access game.

MS has had a lot of misses during its existence, but Game Pass is absolutely not one of them. It may not yet be a roaring success in terms of making money, but given the traditional resistance to games as a service, I'd argue it's doing quite well for itself in terms of attracting and - most importantly - keeping users. And while it's never going to be the next Azure even if it reaches profitability, I would not be at all surprised if it ends up one of the dominant models for games consumption, perhaps even competing with Steam.
Game Pass isn't a miss. It's just not the win they thought it would be. It doesn't sell consoles. It doesn't attract users. Given the recent history of developing half baked turds people is thinking that it's GP's fault. "They got Microsoft's money and released a turd because they were paid anyway" is the usual reasoning. Subscriptions stagnated to a standstill in return with Xbox's "content and services" growing a pathetic 0.7%.

System Name ✨ Lenovo M700 [Tiny]
Cooling ⚠️ 78,08% N² ⌬ 20,95% O² ⌬ 0,93% Ar ⌬ 0,04% CO²
Audio Device(s) ◐◑ AKG K702 ⌬ FiiO E10K Olympus 2
Mouse ✌️ Corsair M65 RGB Elite [Black] ⌬ Endgame Gear MPC-890 Cordura
Keyboard ⌨ Turtle Beach Impact 500
Makes total sense since Intel has super efficient CPU's & performance dominating GPU's /APU's (not lol). :laugh: It would be a miracle if they could pull something AMD competitive out of the hat in the foreseeable future. If you said Nvidia, now that would be a theory I could believe. Not Intel.

In other news: Microsoft will most likely become a 3rd party publisher, making their exclusive titles available on all other platforms.

Would be great if they come together to make a one-for-all console with a custom OS for each party. Straight, simple & cost effective. Since they both switched to the x86 architecture it doesn't make any difference anyways, they are nothing more than a mini PC with a xBox & Playstation sticker. A unified controller & some custom controller for those who want the "legacy" feel. Done. Would also cut down the R&D and production costs.

System Name Stugots V
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Thermalright PA-120 Black
Memory 2 x 16GB G.Skill 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual RTX 4070
Storage 500GB WD SN750 | 2TB WD SN750 | 6TB WD Red +
Display(s) Dell S2716DG (1440p / 144Hz)
Case Fractal Meshify 2 Compact
Audio Device(s) JDS Labs Element | Audioengine HD3 + A8 | Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro (250)
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Leopold FC750R
Software Win 10 Pro x64
^ I like it, but never gonna happen. Sony will balk at that idea until the end of time.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
“All American”. Even the money from the tax payers chips act. ;)

I’m guessing AMD could get close to All American by using GloFo in New York.

still have to see if MS CEO gives green light once $ estimates provided.

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Keyboard Logitech G510
Eh, more likely would be AMD having Intel produce some Console-bound chips at Intel fabs, if for whatever reason Samsung and TSMC cannot. But having either console company switch seems like a very long shot. Especially since both MS and Sony have partnered with AMD for awhile and AMD's semi-custom solutions has been AMD's strong point, able to build and pair a chip for their clients (even moreso now that they have Xilinx IP, and plan to get into networking too).

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
But that would be a great step forward for the US.
Hi,
As long as you have your electric car it is :laugh:

This is just what MS needs to raise prices for those voodoo core devises, steam will enjoy it to :cool:

System Name heat
Processor 2990wx
Motherboard MSI X399 SLI PLUS ATX
Cooling Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 360 TT Premium Edition 42.34 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Memory 128gb
Video Card(s) 2 2080s
Storage 100 tb
Case Asus TUF Gaming GT501 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply 1200 cosair plat
ah yes garbage reporting.
and mlid....

Still rocking my 2006 PS3 with a 1 TB SSD with that awesome but hard to program cell processor and Nvidia Reality Engine. I also Have a PS4 Pro and looking now at a PS5 soon. But All things aside the PS3 was a powerhouse in terms of performance. But the problem was it was very hard to program. Programmers got lazy and wanted simple programming languages. But Some ppl learned how to program that PS3 and some games even on PS3 look better than the newer ones on Ps4. Even today some games like say God of War 2 on the PS2 and seeing that gameplay being soo smooth it's amazing that it's 23 years old and still look like a newer game today.