• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nintendo Switch 2 Could Retain Backward Compatibility with The First-Gen Console

Am I missing something?
I played GC games on my Wii
I played Wii games on my WiiU
I played DS/DSi games on my 3DS

Where is this past tendency for clean breaks between generations.

System Name Bro2
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Corsair h115i pro rgb
Memory 16GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 CL14 @3800Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6900 XT Red Devil 1.1v@2400Mhz
Storage M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500MB/ Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) LG 27UD69 UHD / LG 27GN950
Case Fractal Design G
Audio Device(s) Realtec 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic 750W GOLD
Mouse Logitech G402
Keyboard Logitech slim
Software Windows 10 64 bit
Am I missing something?

And I play all games from all of those platforms on my PC but still I'm getting switch 2 instead of a new GPU.

Am I missing something?

We can go further away: GBA games worked on DS, GBC games worked on GBA, GB worked on GBC...

Backwards compatibility on Nintendo over the years has been the norm, not the exception

We can go further away: GBA games worked on DS, GBC games worked on GBA, GB worked on GBC...

Backwards compatibility on Nintendo over the years has been the norm, not the exception
Exactly, i really don't get what he means by

Well-known gaming leakers "NateTheHate" and others have corroborated that testing is underway for playing current Switch games on new hardware. If true, this backward compatibility would be a consumer-friendly move that breaks from Nintendo's past tendencies of forcing clean breaks between console ecosystems.

Mawkzin

Am I missing something?

Well GC, Wii and Wii U use the same CPU (no new ISA or evolved ISA) with the Wii U they made it a 3-core but it's the same core from previous console.

The article is deadly wrong about some things. What is this "break from the past with non compatibility" as that's flat out just wrong. Plenty of Nintendo systems have had backwards compatibility. The most famous and obvious one being that you could run GBA games on the DS. This was so much a feature that they included a physical slot for the GBA games as the carts did not use the same form factor as DS carts. The GBA could also play GB and GBC games with no issues.

So backwards compatibility for at least the last generation is more the norm for Nintendo than an outlier.

Yeah it's very odd people are viewing this as a change on the part of Nintendo. They tend to like backwards compatibility and push it for a few generations. You can gripe all you want about their refusal to lower their asking cost for their first party titles but they are pretty good at transitiong people through the generations. Let's also not forget that the GB went through several revisions and they kept selling them straight into the DS era. The GBA also did the same. They don't like hanging their customers out to dry which is one of the reasons people like them.

Well GC, Wii and Wii U use the same CPU (no new ISA or evolved ISA) with the Wii U they made it a 3-core but it's the same core from previous console.

It goes beyond that when you look at their entire product stack outside of the NES, SNES, N64 sessions they've always had backwards built into it. It's one of the reasons people like and trust them they don't screw their customers and while they still keep high prices on their IP generally they are extremely good at making generational switches as painless as possible.

Shit even the fucking SNES could play gameboy games via a Super GameBoy adapter.

They've had their share of asshole moments and flops but the reason people like Nintendo is it just works. And unlike apple they don't hang people out to dry.

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
And?
So is it, or is it not backwards compatible?
This is the current topic.
The fact is, nintendo are generationally friendly when it comes to backwards compatibility. That section of the article is nonsensical