• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Guide: Flashing Intel ARC GPUs

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
1690913044909.png

ARC is in its infancy and I have playing with the platform since around the end of last year. I have several cards and found it curious that when I installed my older A380 the BIOS was older. After some searching I realized Intel takes a different approach to firmware updates. The updates are done during driver installation. It should be noted this FW update ONLY happens during the driver install; NOT if you are putting another intel card in IE: A card returned from RMA, or an upgrade.

Accessing the firmware and the tools was as easy as unzipping the newer drivers, or "opening file location" from task manager on older drivers with the installer running. With executable and firmware in hand I soon found that the flash tool included in the drivers could not be easily manipulated on its own. I eventually found that Intel themselves host this code as opensource in there git.

With the repo in hand I compiled the tool (Attached) and started to see what could be done. It should be noted that you CANNOT backup the BIOS using this tool (YET). However flashing may prove useful for those that like a certain driver version but want the various clock or power limit changes of a newer one.

I also made a GUI wrapper for this tool which is what we are covering. The file is attached to this post, but new versions can be downloaded from the applications update mechanism or github.

Updates to the tool can be found here:

You should still read through the old guide to truly understand what is happening. It is in a large spoiler.

Lets get started.

Getting Started

The firmware tool is a wrapper for IGSC the console tool used to interface with the GPUs. Intel delivers firmware during the display driver package install.

This comes with some caveats.

• Windows auto install will not update the firmware.
  • Installing a new Intel GPU and using the previous installation will not update the firmware.
  • Installing previous drivers will not rollback firmware (Driver installs are upgrade only)
  • If the flash process times out during the driver install it will not attempt to install the firmware again.

As you can see too much can be left up in the air. As development matures and driver release cycles slow down depending on how you maintain your system you may find yourself behind on firmware.
Further; power limits and clock changes that exist in a certain firmware may not exist in a newer one as power or thermal limits are imposed.

This tool will allow you to downgrade which can be beneficial for those chasing performance or stability.

How it works

Intel unlike Nvidia or AMD does not utilize a single binary to update firmware. Instead they trigger several different firmware upgrades during driver install depending on the card and component.

This is a short definition of the fields provided by the tool:

Code:
Firmware: Main FW payload. This will have ```"_gfx_fwupdate_``` in the title; like ```dg2_gfx_fwupdate_SOC1.bin```.

Oprom (*Data*): Oprom data. This will have a ```"_d_"``` in the title; like ```dg2_d_oprom_asr770.rom```.

Oprom (*Code*): Oprom code. This will have a ```"_c_"``` in the title; like ```dg2_c_oprom.rom```.

(The Data and Code versions can differ, but they are often the same.)

FW Data / Config Data:
- FW data. This will have ```"_fwdata_"``` in the title; like ```dg2_fwdata_asrock770.bin```.
- FW Config data. This will have ```"_config"``` in the title; like ```dg2_intel_a770_config-data.bin```.
    - (They utilize the same field on the flash tool.)

The sequence chosen reflects the sequence of the flash as it appears in the Intel driver flash log. While no ill has been seen from flashing out of order the sequence was kept anyway.

How do I begin?

First you need the firmware files. You can download the latest firmware zip from the flash tool.

If you are looking for a specific release you can check out the firmware matrix I compiled here:

Once you have your files it as simple as making sure they are put into the correct boxes using the guide above.

Intel LE card FW files are generally generically named. Such as: ```dg2_d_oprom_IBC512.rom``` (A770) or ```dg2_intel_a750_config-data.bin```

Now that you have your files lets load up in the software

You don't need to flash every firmware type. If you want to experiment and only update a specific feature you can.

The flash output will be displayed in the text box. You can scroll around to check the output or we can save the log which is next.

"Error: Failed to read." is a generic warning given when a field is empty during processing and nothing to worry about. The actual flash data is still available from all phases of the flash.

Saving the log is as simple as pressing: ```File > Save Log``` from the menu. This can also be done if just doing a hardware scan.

You're Done!

You did it! That is really all there is too it!

Intel's flashing tool and protections are resilient. While it is not impossible for a bad flash to happen given that FW updates generally happen during driver install and there are many in circulation the changes are slim.
The flash tool also has methods of cross flash protection so selecting the incorrect firmware wont result in a brick.

Finally; the tool has a really robust flash failure mechanism. In the event the cards I/O doesn't respond and the flash is terminated, not only will you get it in the logs, you can always try again!

More screen shots available on github.

Checking Versions

Intel ARC cards come in 3 flavors. The generational code name and the silicon tier level. The silicon tier levels are defined by "EUs" or Execution Units. The VBIOS is tattoo'd with what SOC it is allowed to be flashed too. Each EU SOC Tier represents the maximum that the tier can have (Alchemist) meaning that a card with less EUs than maximum but more than the previous tier, is considered a card of the higher tier. Though there are rumors that these tiers are further defined by a wattage limit given to each.

It should be noted however, that these values were derived from an earlier branch. The current implementation still breaks the SOCs down into tiers but omits the 128,256,512 delimitator. So keep in mind this definition may change as the product stack matures and different SKUs are added.

Generational Code names:

DG1 (Pre ARC. OEM only strapped VBIOS)
DG2 (ARC)

Silicon Tiers:

SOC1 (512 EUs)
SOC2 (128 EUs)
SOC3 (256 EUs)

In our example we will be working with the main vbios. However when playing with the cards various firmware's Intel's official flash sequence (as taken from the intel driver fw flashing logs) is as follows:

- PCON
- Firmware
- OPROM
- FW data
- Config data

Lets run the check to see what kind of hardware we have on our A380.

Code:
igsc fw hwconfig

Looks like we have SOC2 which adds up. Lets check the firmware version on the device.

Code:
igsc fw version

ok so version 2.2307. Lets check the FW version of the SOC2 firmware included in yesterdays Intel ARC driver release (101.4577).

Code:
igsc fw version --image dg2_gfx_fwupdate_SOC2.bin

Looks newer at 2.2347.

Check versions (1).png

Now that we have the version, lets list the parent commands each of which can be further looked into by calling "help" with the command directly.

Code:
Usage: igsc [-v] <command> <args>

igsc fw update [options] [--device <dev>] --image  <image>
    igsc fw version [--device <dev>] | --image <file>
    igsc fw hwconfig [--check] [--device <dev> | --image  <image>]

igsc iaf update [options] [--device <dev>] --image  <image>
    igsc iaf version [--device <dev>]

igsc oprom-data update [options] [--device <dev>] --image  <image>
    igsc oprom-data version [--device <dev>] | --image <file>
    igsc oprom-data supported-devices --image <file>

igsc oprom-code update [options] [--device <dev>] --image <image>
    igsc oprom-code version [--device <dev>] | --image <file>
    igsc oprom-code supported-devices --image <file>

igsc fw-data update [options] [--device <dev>] --image <image>
    igsc fw-data version [--device <dev>] | --image <file>
    igsc fw-data supported-devices --image <file>

igsc list-devices [--info]

igsc image-type --image <image>

igsc ifr get-status [--device <dev>]
    igsc ifr run-test [--device <dev>] --tile <tile> --test <test>
    igsc ifr run-array-scan-test [--device <dev>]
    igsc ifr run-mem-ppr-test [--device <dev>]
    igsc ifr get-status-ext [--device <dev>]
    igsc ifr count-tiles [--device <dev>]
    igsc ifr get-repair-info [--device <dev>] --tile <tile>
    igsc ifr version [--device <dev>]

igsc gfsp get-mem-err [--device <dev>]
    igsc gfsp get-mem-ppr-status [--device <dev>]
    igsc gfsp set-ecc-config [--device <dev>] --ecc-config <config>
    igsc gfsp get-ecc-config [--device <dev>]
    igsc gfsp get-health-ind [--device <dev>]

igsc oem version [--device <dev>]

igsc -V/--version: display version
    igsc -v/--verbose: runs in verbose mode
    igsc -q/--quiet: runs in quiet mode
    igsc help : shows this help
    igsc help <command>: shows detailed help

Flashing the BIOS

Lets say I really like how cyberpunk runs with these drivers but I want a newer bios because there are reports of an increased wattage ceiling. Lets look at what flags we can use with the command itself.

flash command functions (2).png

I will add (-a) for giggles but it looks like what we want is:

Code:
igsc fw update -a -f -i dg2_gfx_fwupdate_SOC2.bin

Lets give it a shot.

flashing (3).png

You can see it reads the image FW version (2.2347) and the current device FW version (2.2307) and lists the progress of the flash itself.

All done! It re-reads the device FW version after the flash and displays it. We are now at version 2.2347.

flashing done (4).png

Downgrading the BIOS

What if this causes some kind of instability? Lets try to force a downgrade. We would use the same command in this case because (-a) allows for same version or lower writes to the eeprom.

Lets downgrade to a FW version from way back in driver 101.4091 feburary of 2023. These older driver releases are packed so we need to steal the firmware from the temp directory after the installer opens, by opening task manager and right clicking the process and clicking ""open file location".

Lets do what we did before. Lets read the FW version on the card. Then we will read the version of the old firmware.

We can see the device is running the new 2.2347 and the image from the drivers in feb are 2.2314 which is still newer than the original FW but its a downgrade from whats currently on the card.

flash downgrade (5).png

Thats the firmware I want though so lets run the same command with "-a" to allow firmware downgrade.

Code:
igsc fw update -a -f -i  oldfw\dg2_gfx_fwupdate_SOC2.bin

Again we see it read the device FW version. In this case the brand new 2.2347 but the FW image contains 2.2314 but with the flag it is writing the downgrade.

flash downgrade in progress (6).png

Done! The process completed and the final read from the device shows 2.2314!

flash downgrade done (7).png

Flashing the wrong BIOS

Now what if you mess up and attempt to write a BIOS from the wrong card? Well there are checks in place and even using the downgrade (-a) and force (-f) flags the tool will not do it.

Lets try to flash my A380 with the FW for a SOC1 (A770) card.

Code:
igsc fw update -a -f -i  dg2_gfx_fwupdate_SOC1.bin

flash soc 1 attempt (8).png

Thats a big no.

Code:
Error: The firmware image in dg2_gfx_fwupdate_SOC1.bin is incompatible with the device \\?\DISPLAY#INTC_HECI_2#7&1d10e1f9&0&UID60434#{5315db55-e7c7-4e67-b396-800a75dd6fe4}

It also doesnt work in reverse.

Finishing Up
This isn't a super straight forward guide. I thought it was prudent to include some back story. Flashing ARC is more common than people think given there odd approach to doing it during driver install. I dont think there are a ton of use cases given that I could not find any mention of dumping/saving the BIOS in there API documentation for this tool. Though it should be possible to do in linux I havent tried yet.

It should be noted this tool and Intels leap into the descrete GPU world is NEW. Looking at the commit history changes to this tool have been massive in terms of functionality; so the ability to save in the future may be possible. Changes to how flashing is even done may change with the release of battlemage. It's possible saving might never be possible on ARC without a HW tool which I have written about in my other ARC experience threads.

Most importantly, there are no guarantees that flashing will improve or make anything more stable. Much like flashing with any other brand, you do it at your own risk and there is no promise it will be better.

I will leave you with this. If it goes bad or communication becomes a problem with the card, this tool probably wont save you. Always be ready for the worst.

It should be noted, that a BIOS backup via eeprom reader cannot be read by the IGSC tool. If a flash is bad you will need to flash the backup with the eeprom reader!

For a curated list of Intel ARC firmware please see:

Hope you found this useful!

Attachments

• igsc-fw-tool.zip
    746.2 KB · Views: 320
  • ARC Firmware Tool.exe
    3.7 MB · Views: 141
Last edited:
System Name G-Station 1.17 FINAL
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
Cooling DeepCool AK620 Digital
Memory Asgard Bragi DDR4-3600CL14 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX
Storage 240GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB Asgard AN2, 2TB Hiksemi FUTURE-LITE, 320GB+1TB 7200RPM HDD
Display(s) Samsung 34" Odyssey OLED G8
Case Thermaltake Level 20 MT
Audio Device(s) Astro A40 TR + MixAmp
Power Supply Cougar GEX X2 1000W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite (Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Out of curiosity, what SOC# would an A750 be? It has 448 EUs.
The way I read it seems to indicate it is an “upto” with each soc tier being the max EU for that tier which would put the 750 into soc1 but I don’t have one to test.

EDIT: it should be noted that the old commit defined these EU measurements but the current code seems to rely on a flag set on the device so at some point these definitions may change

Last edited:
Storage 240GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB Asgard AN2, 2TB Hiksemi FUTURE-LITE, 320GB+1TB 7200RPM HDD
Software Windows 11 Pro
The way I read it seems to indicate it is an “upto” with each soc tier being the max EU for that tier which would put the 750 into soc1 but I don’t have one to test.
That's fair. I was just wondering what would happen if one were to try flashing an A750 with an A770 firmware if such check is only SOC# based.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
That's fair. I was just wondering what would happen if one were to try flashing an A750 with an A770 firmware if such check is only SOC# based.
Well the FW availible in the driver is only soc1-3 and the socs atleast according to rumor are gated by power limit. So if I were to guess with no 750.

intel may be saying anything between “X and X” EUs is SOCx because SOCx has a power limit between X and X watts.

I didn’t include this info as the tool has protection against wrong soc flash but I suppose if it’s useful I can add my assumption

Software Windows 11 Pro
I didn’t include this info as the tool has protection against wrong soc flash but I suppose if it’s useful I can add my assumption
You've already done a lot as is, and I thank you for it. What I asked is just conjecture of an idle mind (famous what if...?).

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
You've already done a lot as is, and I thank you for it. What I asked is just conjecture of an idle mind (famous what if...?).

more to do TwT but thanks! I hope to have the FW list up at some point, its a busy week though!

I lied. I completed the entire FW matrix.

Last edited:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Added new version of the tool with a pretty icon

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Lots of work there Solaris. Thanks for the effort!

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Last edited:
System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
I really like this way of delivering firmware updates.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
I added a bunch of new features like

- Updates
- Log saving
- Easier UI

Link and screen shots added to the beginning of the OP. For those that want to use the GUI tool the updated version has been attached above in the OP. As this one has the update function, this is the edition you will want to get.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
I kept the old guide but updated the OP with more focus on the GUI tool since that will be the most accessible to most readers and the command line arguments are part of the process itself without the need to look up or memorize them. I will answer questions, but for the most part all updates can be found in the git repo and if you have atleast version 1.2.0 of the tool you can check for updates periodically to get the newest version.

I will however update the OP with the stable editions as I release them.

Happy flashing!

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
@W1zzard this feels like something it might be worthwhile for TPU to host?

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Many updates, most are covered in github releases so I only update the executable attachment here but ontop of the firmware version read itself, it will also poll and display the human readable version of the GOP from the device, which is helpful if you have mobile versions that are updated via mobo BIOS (gen 14+) or if you want to directly compare with GPU-Z or the ARC control panel.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Wanted to update yall. Most of the time its simple improvements so I dont like to post here and make the flash guide more busy than it needs to be; but today I pushed a new stable version that supports log uploads. This should make it easier to share these results.

It generates a basic link to the text file uploaded. It is no different then saving the log locally and sharing it. You are the only one that knows the link and no personal information is transmitted obviously.

This is the link from the screen shot provided above.

You can download as always from the flash guide itself or git.

Processor Intel Core i7-14700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-H
Cooling DeepCool AK500 WH
Memory Crucial Pro 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR5-5600 (CP2K16G56C46U5)
Video Card(s) Intel ARC A770 Limited Edition
Storage Solidigm P44 Pro 2TB / Solidigm P44 Pro 2TB / PNY CS3140 2TB
Display(s) Philips 32M1N5800A
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini (White)
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Fanless Titanium 600W
Keyboard Dell KM714 Wireless
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Very useful tool, thanks for putting this together.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Very useful tool, thanks for putting this together.

Thanks for the kind words, I did forget to add the code to make the link clickable through the app though. woops. Fixed; new version published.

Hi Solaris17, I have attached a HW Scan Log for the Intel® NUC X15 Laptop Kit LAPAC71G, this is the version with Intel ARC A550M

The CPU is still the Intel Core i7-12700H.

I received the laptop today a few hours ago.

Attachments

• ARC Flash log 02-16-2024.zip
    861 bytes · Views: 33

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Hi Solaris17, I have attached a HW Scan Log for the Intel® NUC X15 Laptop Kit LAPAC71G, this is the version with Intel ARC A550M

The CPU is still the Intel Core i7-12700H.

I received the laptop today a few hours ago.

Perfect thanks, if you want to post them in the future you can upload them as well from the app and just post the URL.

I do want to point out these errors:

Error in HECI connect (5)

Looks like driver didnt install right for one reason or another, I see this most from windows updates. You can correct this since the HECI driver is part of the standalone driver package.

You just unzip the driver package with something like 7zip.

Then right click on your start button and open "Device Manager" from there you will see some unknown or failing HECI devices. Right click on those and you can update the driver and specify to "Browse" a location. Just point at the folder from unzipping your driver and check the box "Include Subfolders".

Alternatively you might be able to perform a clean install to fix it, but it didnt for me.

I see this the most on mobile gpus.

Perfect thanks, if you want to post them in the future you can upload them as well from the app and just post the URL.

I do want to point out these errors:

Error in HECI connect (5)

Looks like driver didnt install right for one reason or another, I see this most from windows updates. You can correct this since the HECI driver is part of the standalone driver package.

You just unzip the driver package with something like 7zip.

Then right click on your start button and open "Device Manager" from there you will see some unknown or failing HECI devices. Right click on those and you can update the driver and specify to "Browse" a location. Just point at the folder from unzipping your driver and check the box "Include Subfolders".

Alternatively you might be able to perform a clean install to fix it, but it didnt for me.

I see this the most on mobile gpus.
Nice catch I was exhausted didn't see the errors.

Check this link

Processor 11800H
Motherboard Intel NUC X15 Laptop
Cooling Thermaltake Massive 20 RGB
Memory BL2K32G32C16S4B
Video Card(s) RTX 3060 Laptop
Storage 2X 2TB 980 Pro
Display(s) 2X Dell S2721DGF. 1X Laptop display 1080P 240Hz
Software Windows 11
Thanks again boss!
Was able to update the firmware on an Intel NUC X15 LAPAC71H 12700H + A730M "Alder County" Laptop
As far as i can tell, there are no newer compatible oprom data or FW data/config

OLD:
FW Version: DG02_1.3193
OPROM CODE Version: 14 00 1D 04 00 00 00 00
OPROM DATA Version: 14 00 1D 04 00 00 00 00

NEW:
FW Version: DG02_1.3257
OPROM CODE Version: 14 00 2C 04 00 00 00 00
OPROM DATA Version: 14 00 1D 04 00 00 00 00

Attachments

• ARC scan post flash.txt
    981 bytes · Views: 31
  • ARC scan pre flash.txt