• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Kingston Intros DataTraveler SE9 G3 - a Premium High-performance USB Flash Drive

T0@st

News Editor
Staff member
Introducing the DataTraveler SE9 Gen 3 USB drive. Featuring a premium metal casing for durability and style paired with large capacity options, you can have form AND function. Experience the combination of elegance and functionality with the DataTraveler SE9 G3 USB 3.2 Gen 3 flash drive, ideal for storing and sharing your data. Rediscover its timeless, award-winning design, now enhanced with high-performance speeds of up to 220 MB/s read and 100 MB/s write, ensuring swift and seamless data transfers on Type-A host devices.

Explore the expanded storage options with robust capacities now reaching up to 512 GB, providing ample space for your movies, music and diverse file storage needs. Premium metal casing for durability and style—an all-metal gold casing that's portable enough to fit in your pocket, backpack or on your keyring loop.

Kingston DataTraveler SE9 G3 USB Flash Drive:

Premium-style storage solution for Type-A devices.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Questionable components aside wont be long before retailers start selling them in multipacks at really cheap prices making them perfect to be forgotten on keychains(I already have couple of cheap flash drives and SD cards in all my bags thrown in for emergency uses).

I've had supposedly premium flash drives randomly die on me (never skipped safely remove). Learned to always backup my backups.

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Motherboard MSI x570S Unify-X Max
Cooling D5 clone, 280 rad, two F14 + three F12S bottom/intake, two P14S + F14S (Rad) + two F14 (top)
Memory 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance bdie 3600@CL16 1.35v
Video Card(s) GB 2080S WaterForce WB
Storage six M.2 pcie gen 4
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar AE, modded Sennheiser HD 558, Klipsch 2.1 THX
Power Supply Corsair RMx 750w
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
Benchmark Scores TimeSpy score Fire Strike Ultra SuperPosition CB20
uhmmm, i had a Patriot drive that did those numbers +5y ago,
while only being 32GB, water and shockproof with a nice rubberized coating.

System Name -
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 (4x140 push-pull)
Memory 32GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3733 (8GBx4)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4080 X-trio.
Storage Sabrent Rocket-Plus-G 2TB, Crucial P1 1TB, WD 1TB sata.
Display(s) LG Ultragear 34G750 nano-IPS 34" utrawide
Case Define R6
Audio Device(s) Xfi PCIe
Power Supply Fractal Design ION Gold 750W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 Mini.
Keyboard Logitech K120
VR HMD Er no, pointless.
Software Windows 10 22H2
Benchmark Scores Timespy - 24522 | Crystalmark - 7100/6900 Seq. & 84/266 QD1 |
I've had supposedly premium flash drives randomly die on me (never skipped safely remove). Learned to always backup my backups.
Exactly this, Kingston "used to" make good, reliable usb drives. Ive still got 2 of thier original 2gb data traveler drives I used as boot/flash/install sticks.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
even you can put it as key chain, better keep it in safe place since you don't know what gonna happen next

System Name Never trust a socket with less than 2000 pins
I'm in the market for a USB storage device that works like a proper SSD but in as small a case as possible. I know it can't go down to USB stick levels, but there must be something smaller than a 2230 format M.2 in a USB case. It seems that nobody targets that market.

I'm in the market for a USB storage device that works like a proper SSD but in as small a case as possible. I know it can't go down to USB stick levels, but there must be something smaller than a 2230 format M.2 in a USB case. It seems that nobody targets that market.
Kingston's Datatraveler Max USB sticks are pretty fast. They're quite large for a USB stick though.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals

ElMarciano

I want to warn everyone thinking about buying this thing!
DO NOT BUY THIS KINGSTON STICK!
I bought the 500GByte model of the SE9 G3 and - it was by far the worst USB drive I have ever seen! Actually this thing is worse than all the even decades old USB 2.0 drives I ever used!
Actually I did some test:

-First I made sure it would be working after runing hot, instead of just freezing, which many USB drives tend to so. It succeeded in this category, as it did not drop out, which can easily be exlained by the speed dropping down to long fogotten levels of 'performance'.
-I then checked the nominal capacity, using f3 on Linux AND h2testw which is true.
-The I did the speed tests, using Crystal Disk Mark (Twice, on two different Windows machines!) and Linux (using dd on THREE different machines).
Te result was most underwhelming: After about one Gigabyte written, write performance went down into the region of single digit hundreds of Kilobytes! Like jumping between 100KByte/s and 700KBytes/s. During the steady slow writes there also where some rare and very short (like four seconds) spikes of up 18MByte/s sporadically between on each system. The average overall speed after writing up to 50GBytes was at about 8MByte/s (Of course going lower and lower with each GB written!) - which means using all the capacity of this drive would take more than 17 hours! This clearly is utterly unacceptable for a 500GByte drive in 2024, as it defeats the purpose of having a drive of this capacity.
-My practise tests using the drive on a AndroidTV-box and on an SBC (both running a network share, which I wrote to and read from through ftp and smb) proved the unbelievable bad performance of this drive. I had dropouts when playing video from this drive and sending files through ftp took way longer than it would be useful.

Do not buy this.