• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Qubic Cryptocurrency Mining Craze Causes AMD Ryzen 9 7950X Stocks to Evaporate

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Stumbled upon this QUBIC a few weeks ago, when my buddy mentioned that he started mining it with some ridiculous profits.
Looked it up - and it ended up worse than I thought...
Economics doesn't work at all(with gazillion coins in the works, 8% already minted not even two months in active existence, and already "burning" reserves to bump price if you take their word for it), and that's without even mentioning the whole concept of distributed AI training. It's going to be so inefficient and potentially so expensive that for any potential customer it will definitely be cheaper and faster to rent whatever next DGX Jensen Huang will announce tomorrow.
The only "potential" use case is simply baking a bunch of pretrained models to sell them after the fact, but you need to find buyers before justifying that ridiculous $680M market cap.
The "founder" is also bonkers. Claims he invented or participated in nearly every major crypto project (including him being Satoshi Nakamoto in the flesh).

On the bright side:
1) It's mineable on GPUs too (on windows via WSL) with better "performance" (whatever that means in this context), so the CPU fever will end quite soon with many freshly bought chips going to the used market.
2) QUBIC is already on the downtrend. I doubt in 6mo anyone will even mention it
3) It's market cap is overblown already, mostly by the fact that most of trade volume(initially it was as much as 90%) is happening on SafeTrade - another barely known exchange that basically does only QUBIC trades for the past month and all of that volume is assuringly "backed by SafeCoin" (e.g. someone's old socks, bottlecaps and baseball cards).

System Name Very old, but all I've got ®
Processor So old, you don't wanna know... Really!
These crypto dudes, should be allowed to buy only used/secondhand/refurbished hardware for their hobby/projects. Especially when there are tons of factory refurbished HW, that otherwise would sit on shelves with nobody risk of buying it. That would let people to buy more stuff new, and eventually the second-hand market could be treated with bigger trust, (if there's some). Since the miners won't be able to sell it off after their destructive use. And it wouldn't be that pity, if the refurbished/used stuff got burnt in the process, as none of the new quality HW would be ruined.
Miners/Crypto are like roaches. Nobody like them running in the fresh food, but don't mind if they inhabit where they should be. Crypto should get only stuff that has served the purpose. Nobody would complain this way, and the miners/crypto will get their HW anyway. Why people should buy after them and be grateful for the spoiled stuff, that is not even eligible for RMA, and risk of getting the waste products of the deliberately harmful use.?

Last edited:
System Name Upgraded CyberpowerPC Ultra 5 Elite Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI B450M Pro-VDH Plus
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory CM4X8GD3000C16K4D (OC to CL14)
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster MERC RX 7800 XT
Storage TCSunbow X3 1TB, ADATA SU630 240GB, Seagate BarraCuda ST2000DM008 2TB
Display(s) AOC Agon AG241QX 1440p 144Hz
Case Cooler Master MasterBox MB520 (CyberpowerPC variant)
Power Supply 600W Cooler Master
Every single semiconductor degrades under heavy use. Read up on electromigration for starters
I didn't say they don't degrade. It's just that modern CPUs don't degrade significantly over their normal lifetime if they are properly cooled and aren't overvolted.
In other words, VRAM degrades much faster than CPUs.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Ocean Plastic Mouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
These crypto dudes, should be allowed to buy only used/secondhand/refurbished hardware for their hobby/projects. Especially when there are tons of factory refurbished HW, that otherwise would sit on shelves with nobody risk of buying it. That would let people to buy more stuff new, and eventually the second-hand market could be treated with bigger trust, (if there's some). Since the miners won't be able to sell it off after their destructive use. And it wouldn't be that pity, if the refurbished/used stuff got burnt in the process, as none of the new quality HW would be ruined.
Miners/Crypto are like roaches. Nobody like them running in the fresh food, but don't mind if they inhabit where they should be. Crypto should get only stuff that has served the purpose. Nobody would complain this way, and the miners/crypto will get their HW anyway. Why people should buy after them and be grateful for the spoiled stuff, that is not even eligible for RMA, and risk of getting the waste products of the deliberately harmful use.?

Cryptobros are swimming in laundered money and are backed by legions of broke gamers in third world countries willing to buy their spent junk in droves, it'll never get better while this is the case

I didn't say they don't degrade. It's just that modern CPUs don't degrade significantly over their normal lifetime if they are properly cooled and aren't overvolted.
In other words, VRAM degrades much faster than CPUs.

Yes, point in case, the endless supply of Chinese counterfeit RX 580 GPUs. Just a 50-50 that it makes past 3 months (so, minimum legal warranty in most countries) on an unsuspecting gamer's rig, until they come to this forum asking for a BIOS in hopes of a miraculous fix to a problem they subjected themselves to. Oh bother.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
Cryptobros are swimming in laundered money
You have to be careful with comments like this. "Laundered money" is a harsh accusation, and despite all the trouble crypto causes not all (or even most I'd wager, but who knows?) with stakes in it or believing in it are criminals. Some may even have the mistaken idea they are somehow improving the world.

Case in point: me, circa about 2 years ago. The only money I ever laundered was a $20.00 bill in my pants pocket and personal washing machine.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Microsoft Ocean Plastic Mouse
Keyboard Galax Stealth
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
You have to be careful with comments like this. "Laundered money" is a harsh accusation, and despite all the trouble crypto causes not all (or even most I'd wager, but who knows?) with stakes in it or believing in it are criminals. Some may even have the mistaken idea they are somehow improving the world.

Case in point: me, circa about 2 years ago. The only money I ever laundered was a $20.00 bill in my pants pocket and personal washing machine.

Take it at face value, it's more of my (actual disdain) of cryptocurrency as a whole rather than an actual statement of fact. It started as a libertarian dream which ended up corrupted to the very core by greed.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Take it at face value, it's more of my (actual disdain) of cryptocurrency as a whole rather than an actual statement of fact. It started as a libertarian dream which ended up corrupted to the very core by greed.
That I can agree with.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
That I can agree with.
It has been corrupted but you don't have to be corrupt to benefit from it. I know I had my AM4 system sitting around (Could not sell my X570S Ace Max) and now that CPU mining is a thing it is making money 24/7 so it is good. As someone with a lot of AM4 hardware it is good. I have bought like 4 5900X CPUs in the last 6 months and they all are paying for themselves quite nicely. The recent jump in the price has more than realized my principal for those chips too.

Having said that, I have friend that invested in one of those vehicles and lost every cent he invested.

Whether we like it or not the digital world is real. There is an app called Wealthsimple. That app allows you to buy Stocks without Commission. That means that you can buy and sell to your heart's content with no $8.95 per transaction fee. There is a digital bank that offers you 3% interest on your checking account. That has forced the old banks to up their Game and now they all offer 5% + on your Savings accounts from as low as .25%. Indeed some banks are offering people hundreds to open accounts with them.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
It has been corrupted but you don't have to be corrupt to benefit from it. I know I had my AM4 system sitting around (Could not sell my X570S Ace Max) and now that CPU mining is a thing it is making money 24/7 so it is good.
If you believe burning energy for pointless individualistic gain is good, sure.

There is a digital bank that offers you 3% interest on your checking account. That has forced the old banks to up their Game and now they all offer 5% + on your Savings accounts from as low as .25%. Indeed some banks are offering people hundreds to open accounts with them.
Nah couldn't be that the national interest rate rose by about the same amount recently. /s

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
It has been corrupted but you don't have to be corrupt to benefit from it.
Some pretty twisted logic there. Its not any less corrupt if you take part - you've become part of the problem. Simple. And there's nothing wrong with that, do as you do. But don't lie to yourself or the rest of the world. It is what it is.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
If you believe burning energy for pointless individualistic gain is good, sure.

Nah couldn't be that the national interest rate rose by about the same amount recently. /s
I have an ultimate plan to have Renewable sources for my mining rigs. The banks in Canada have not given us these kinds of rates since I was a kid. None of my Nieces or Nephews actually have a bank account with any of the traditional banks other than the ones created for them when they were kids.

Some pretty twisted logic there. Its not any less corrupt if you take part - you've become part of the problem. Simple. And there's nothing wrong with that, do as you do. But don't lie to yourself or the rest of the world. It is what it is.
What is exactly wrong with using things that I have bought to do exactly what I want with it? I am just a regular person not a group using a decommissioned mine's power source to mine or trying to buy all the CPUs I can find. This is not new for me. A few months ago I posted a thread talking about CPU mining with AMD 5950/5900x CPUs. Some people even told me that my numbers were off.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
What is exactly wrong with using things that I have bought to do exactly what I want with it?
It's the sum result of the movement that is the issue. I'd sooner not support it at all, but legally you are in the right, of course. And honestly I'd not change that. I may not like what you are doing but I don't really want to start regulating what people can run on their home hardware either.