• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Outer Worlds getting boring

While New Vegas was great, I've always regarded Obsidian a little bit as the B-movie developer. More often than not the Outer Worlds 'feeling' is what stays with you: not great, not terrible, hardly special. Almost never have I played an Obsidian game where I was really hooked, though I've played many and finished more than one without being bored or annoyed... Its a bit like that same ish meal you eat every week, good to keep you fed, doesn't get boring, and that's about it.

I agree with B-movie part. They are just secound league, AA or oldschool kind like most of devs was twenty years ago. But if we talk about the rest, probably due to different likings or just titles played my impression about them is totally different. I understand yours as them being "nothing special kind", but I see them opposite. They have great ideas and seem to have really high standards of what their games represent in every aspect they consist of. E.g. overally good Pillars of Eternity with simply all of the quests being superb or having no gameplay Pentiment being nice to play at and having absurdly good audio nobody asked for. Kind of dev who maybe isn't master of code, so won't give you e.g. the best shooting mechanics, but one being from league higher than majority aims for. Totally opposite to typical garbage like Hangar(something) who just desecrated Mafia franchise with only obviously bad decisions and nothing left to praise. And most of the industry being somewhere between. Outer Worlds feels missed, but to me Obsidian are ones representing level being likely to create masterpieces. What I find e.g. New Vegas; Pillars of Eternity or Pentiment.

System Name Desktop + SteamDeck OLED
Processor i7-10700K @ -0.130mV offset
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 280mm
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 3200MT/s CL16
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition @ 1830MHz, 800mV
The Outerworlds is one of my favourite games! I recently started a 4th play through

I've tried Fallout 3, 4, Borderlands 3, Starfield and didn't enjoy them as much. I haven't given them all a real chance but I'm probably nearly at 200hr in The Outworlds across Steam and Game Pass

I'm very excited for The Outworlds 2

Last edited:
System Name Bad Moon Ryzen
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4-F
Cooling Vetroo V5
Memory Crucial Ballistix 32Gb (8gb x 4) 3200 MHz DDR 4
Video Card(s) 6700 XT
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 1Tb, Samsung 860 Evo 500Gb,WD Black 8Tb, WD Blue 2Tb
Display(s) Gigabyte G24F-2 (180Hz Freesync) & 4K Samsung TV
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact w/Dark Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply MSI MPG A850GF (850w)
VR HMD Rift S
I made it to the third location when it first came out but by then, I was done and it was not fun. Then, one morning, I went to fire it up, let out a big sigh and promptly uninstalled it. I've never gone back. :(

I can replay New Vegas and Fallout 1/2 and 3 to this day and still enjoy them. Fallout 4 and Fallout 76...not so much, but I did at least complete FO4.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
While New Vegas was great, I've always regarded Obsidian a little bit as the B-movie developer.

I agree with B-movie part. They are just secound league, AA or oldschool kind like most of devs was twenty years ago. But if we talk about the rest, probably due to different likings or just titles played my impression about them is totally different. I understand yours as them being "nothing special kind", but I see them opposite. They have great ideas and seem to have really high standards of what their games represent in every aspect they consist of.

Because they so often handled other people's IP they simply were not as profitable as other developers. They almost went bankrupt not that long ago, hopefully with MS money and Avowed and/or Outer Worlds 2 taking off they can start creating the games they have always wanted to make but had to cut corners in order to meet smaller budget constraints.

Because they so often handled other people's IP they simply were not as profitable as other developers. They almost went bankrupt not that long ago, hopefully with MS money and Avowed and/or Outer Worlds 2 taking off they can start creating the games they have always wanted to make but had to cut corners in order to meet smaller budget constraints.

Money usually determines capabilities ;) Another thing is, I have never been into their situation, so wonder how many of them are still in the company since NV or PeE. I used examples of great games being not so fresh. Not counting Pentiment, but it's a game simplier, so easier to make great. Possibly my opinion could be closer to @Vayra86 's, but with surnames we come to foggy area of never really known sizes of responsibility and influence on the rest of the crew.

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i5-12600KF 'stock power limits/-120mV undervolt+contact frame'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
I've briefly tried it since the spacer's choice was free on EPIC and idk but I kind of liked it I just don't have the time to play it now but I do plan on playing the game properly at some point. 'its still installed and I've modded DLSS into the game via Nexus'
Last similar game I've played and finished was the base edition of Fallout 3 when it was new.:oops: 'tried 4 but for some reason I've droped it pretty fast'

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
It requires the right mindset for sure. If you go in expecting deep stories and charachters in a deep world you'll be dissapointed. This is basically pulp sci-fi, and as such I think it's a great success. It's not deep or meaningful, and that is fine because it isn't trying to be. Personally I like the world and the the silly corporate slogans, in all their cringeworthiness.
Kinda. While a lot of talent HAS left (or was forced out), the game is ostensibly a brain-child of Boyarsky and Cain. You know, fathers of Fallout. However, this kinda shows that being awesome designers 20 years ago doesn't really mean much. Didn't help that although Boyarsky is credited as narrative director and main writer, in actuality the game was written by almost a dozen "narrative designers" that Obsidian has nowadays, who are, frankly, a bunch of mediocrities with political chips on their shoulders. And this isn't me being edgy, lot of them actually admitted it. I have no issue with touching on sensitive issues in games, just... you know... maybe consider first not being shit writers? Because "capitalism bad" and "aren't companies evil, look, they make fake tuna from peeeeeople!" and "you tried the best, now try the rest lololol!!!111" isn't funny, clever or interesting. It's cringy. And again, this isn't me taking things personally. Disco Elysium is a brilliantly written game and I have no issue with saying that, even though I am vehemently against the personal stances and politics of its writers. Shit writing is just always shit writing. And having SO MANY cooks in the kitchen is not helpful either. Planescape: Torment, arguably THE best written RPG ever, was mostly written by Avellone by himself. Sure, from his own words it was torture and burned him out quite a bit, but the result speaks for itself. Having coherent vision helps.

What sensitive topics does Outer Worlds go into?

And anyway I am yet to finish Disco Elysium but I'm on my third playthrough of Outer Worlds.

Setting wise yes, but really Outer Worlds is a whole other game, it presents a semi open world, where really you're just landing on different maps that have a somewhat open character, but are in reality very linear. So the scope of each area is... well. Weird.

It's more Knights of the Old Republic than Fallout 3 in that regard.

I've just started a second playthrough as a charismatic leader. It seems to be way more fun than my first playthrough with a melee build. I highly recommend using fsrbridge to get dlss.

If you're familiar with mining corp owned towns or have worked for major corporations then the premise is quite plausible.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
I've just started a second playthrough as a charismatic leader. It seems to be way more fun than my first playthrough with a melee build. I highly recommend using fsrbridge to get dlss.

If you're familiar with mining corp owned towns or have worked for major corporations then the premise is quite plausible.
If you make your character stupid, you unlock some of the funniest dialogue options in the game.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Money usually determines capabilities ;)
yeah, that's basically what I said but rather money allows talent to shine. No one considered CDprojekt red or Larian as major developers prior to Witcher 3 & BG3. Sure games like Witcher 2 and D:OS2 were very good games but only showed off a bit of their talent. Once those budgets expanded did their talents really shine. That said their are plenty of games out there with bloated budgets that are pure crap.