• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Introduces World's First Comprehensive, Cutting-Edge PC Platform

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
Rewriting the rules for enthusiast computing, as expected AMD today unveiled its new platform codenamed "Spider", with the first true quad-core processor supporting scalable graphics for The Ultimate Visual Experience. The AMD Spider platform combines the introduction of AMD Phenom quad-core processors, ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series graphics processors with Microsoft DirectX 10.1 support, AMD 7-Series chipsets with CrossFireX and AMD OverDrive software. The AMD Spider platform is a major milestone on the path to Accelerated Computing, AMD's vision for platform-level acceleration through co-processing.

"AMD is the only company committed to delivering The Ultimate Visual Experience across all the screens of your life," said Dirk Meyer, president and COO, AMD. "The AMD Spider platform embodies our approach to platform-level innovation and delivers a highly-advanced, feature-rich enthusiast computing experience. Our commitment to energy-efficient design and manufacturing excellence drives an unprecedented performance-per-watt at an amazing price point, putting enthusiast-class platforms in reach for more users than ever before."

AMD's Spider platform advances enthusiast computing by delivering the most sophisticated multi-GPU enthusiast platform ever with ATI CrossFireX technology. The combination of the energy-efficient 55nm ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series of graphics processors and the increased system bandwidth of PCI Express Generation 2.0 and HyperTransport 3.0 technology, provide optimal processing power for a scalable HD multi-GPU experience. AMD design and manufacturing innovation has enabled the AMD Spider platform to easily scale to three or four graphics processors and deliver a true gaming supercomputer.

"Falcon Northwest is particularly impressed with the quad ATI CrossFireX potential of the new AMD Spider platform," said Kelt Reeves, president of Falcon Northwest. "Running four graphics boards in one system has been a dream of gamers, but could be a nightmare for a system builder to get all those graphics cards proper airflow. The cohesive nature of the Spider platform design allows the AMD 7-Series chipset, high-performing AMD Phenom quad-core processor, and the already cool and quiet ATI Radeon HD 3800 graphics cards to all be placed for maximum airflow and cooling. AMD has made massive multi-GPU performance easy to build, and affordable."

HD Technology Leadership
AMD is delivering the only platform that boasts major next-generation, industry-standard technologies to provide unparalleled bandwidth and balance in the delivery of next-generation HD content. With HyperTransport 3.0 technology, AMD Phenom processors have more system bandwidth than ever before with up to 14.4 GB/second of high bandwidth I/O. When combined with the additional bandwidth of AMD PCI Express 2.0 chipsets and graphics processors, the AMD Spider platform enjoys maximum bandwidth to support smooth 1080P video playback, enhanced multi-GPU and high-speed disk and network interfaces. With the only true quad-core processor and infrastructure flexibility with AM2+ socket, AMD processors are designed to be compatible with future 65nm and 45nm AMD Phenom processors to deliver key performance gains.

Video enthusiasts can enjoy best-in-class HD entertainment on AMD Spider platforms with the addition of the powerful visual processing capabilities of the ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series. Striking image quality and power-efficient playback are made possible through the ATI Avivo HD video engine and the Unified Video Decoder (UVD). The addition of UVD ensures exceptional platform efficiency and image quality in HD-DVD and Blu-ray decoding for both H.264 and VC-1 specifications. Big screen gaming and entertainment is also made easy with enhanced HDMI connectivity with integrated HDCP and audio for HDMI video.

Scalable Platform Performance
AMD's Spider platform offers a new class of enthusiast platform scalability, with multiple upgrade options to increase performance and boost compatibility with configurations that can deliver an estimated two teraflops of desktop processing power by harnessing four graphics processors. The multi-core design of AMD Phenom quad-core processors, based on Direct Connect Architecture, features an integrated memory controller designed to support memory speeds up to DDR2 1066, 128-bit floating point units and AMD's Balanced Smart Cache for rapid access to memory, with a shared L3 cache for leading-edge performance on multi-threaded software.

The AMD 7-Series chipsets introduce the world to the latest ATI CrossFireX technology, a new class of scalable multi-GPU performance, supporting three or four ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series graphics processors for unparalleled upgradeability and DirectX 10.1 performance with the industry's only tri- and quad-GPU solution for Microsoft Windows Vista. AMD 7-Series chipsets support up to four graphics processors and 42 PCI Express lanes, enabling maximum performance and upgradeability for gamers and PC enthusiasts. AMD 7-Series chipsets can deliver the ultimate in personalized enthusiast platform performance with AMD OverDrive software, the industry's most powerful and intuitive Windows operating system-based performance tuning utility. Through a simple Windows operating system-based interface, AMD OverDrive software can satisfy the needs of a wide range of performance-oriented users from enthusiast overclockers to mainstream gamers. In addition, AMD AutoXpress settings can increase your system performance when combined with enthusiast memory modules, ATI Radeon graphics, as well as AMD Phenom quad-core processors.

"AMD has a long history of delivering compelling hardware innovations so that consumers and enthusiasts can enjoy new experiences and take full advantage of the capabilities that our products including Windows Vista deliver," said John Schappert, corporate vice president of LIVE Software and Services at Microsoft. "The AMD Spider platform adds a new dimension to AMD's excellence in driving platform robustness and scalability, designed to deliver the utmost in upgradeability and performance with the new tri- and quad-GPU solution for Windows Vista."

Energy Efficiency
High-performing, energy-efficient AMD Spider platforms provide industry leading platform performance-per-watt, combining energy-efficient AMD Phenom quad-core processors for an improved computing experience, low power 65nm enthusiast AMD 7-Series chipsets, and low-power, high-performance 55nm ATI Radeon HD 3800 graphics. The AMD Spider platform also includes an unprecedented list of computing technology firsts and focus on power consumption, including: ATI PowerPlay, Cool'n'Quiet 2.0 technology, Microsoft DirectX 10.1 support, HyperTransport 3.0 technology and PCI Express 2.0.

In a new initiative to measure real-world processor power consumption, AMD surveyed consumer and commercial users to understand precise usage patterns. AMD measured power consumption for these usage patterns and has found that AMD Phenom processors with Cool'n'Quiet 2.0 technology rated at 95W TDP can consume an average power of 32W for consumers and 29W for commercial users.**** For more information on the power consumption of AMD processors and platforms visit www.amd.com/coolnquiet.

Enhanced features include AMD CoolCore technology, support for split power plane motherboard designs and the ability to set independent core frequencies. The AMD 7-Series chipsets are designed using 65nm process technology, a first for chipsets. With a TDP of approximately 10-12 watts, the 7-Series chipset offers world-class energy efficiency, allowing users to focus resources on processing performance. With a flawless transition to 55nm process technology, the ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series can deliver more than two times the performance-per-watt over the previous generation of AMD graphics products. In addition, ATI PowerPlay for the desktop allows for automatic power state adjustments for increased GPU efficiency when under moderate load or idle. All of these features contribute to better power optimization by enabling more efficient performance, lower power consumption, and quiet operation.

"In today's PC market there is escalating consumer demand for multi-core performance and enriching HD media experiences," said Toni Duboise, senior analyst with Current Analysis West. "Platforms with enhanced performance features and improvements in performance-per-watt and energy efficiency, such as AMD's Spider platform, are a big benefit to customers."

Availability and pricing
AMD Phenom processors 9600 (2.3GHz) and 9500 (2.2GHz) are now available for $283 and $251 respectively in 1,000-unit pricing. The ATI Radeon HD 3850 with 256MB of GDDR3 memory begins at US $179 MSRP and the ATI Radeon HD 3870 with 512MB GDDR4 memory from US $219 MSRP, available from AMD's selected graphics products partners. For processor pricing details, please visit www.amd.com/pricing. For press collateral pertaining to AMD Spider and its components including product specifications and availability, videos, images and partner support, please visit http://www.amd.com/spider/presskit.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

RaZrShRp

They seem really nice. I think i might have to go with a different setup next month.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
"milestone" this, and "cutting edge" that. Well the new system may be better, and good for AMD, but it really is marketing overkill to say "first".

Sometimes I wonder if marketing copy is written to "self-congratulate" and fool the AMD board of directors into thinking that the R&D and marketing people should keep their jobs. I don't think those words were chosen for true PC enthusiasts. It just encourages a sense of disbelief and disappointment through marketing spin.

Even AMD speaks of "true quad core", and people even believe that. Silly. I'd like to see some numbers on that energy efficiency argument as well.

UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
Processor I9 9900KS @ 5.3Ghz
Motherboard Gagabyte z390 Aorus Ultra
Cooling Nexxxos Nova 1080 + 360 rad
Memory 32Gb Crucial Balliastix RGB 4.4GHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3090 (Bios and Shunt Modded) 2.17GHz @ 38C
Storage NVME / SSD RAID arrays
Display(s) 38" LG 38GN950-B, 27" BENQ XL2730Z 144hz 1440p, Samsung 27" 3D 1440p
Case Thermaltake Core series
Power Supply 1.6Kw Silverstone
Mouse Roccat Kone EMP
Keyboard Corsair Viper Mechanical
Software Windows 10 Pro
Even AMD speaks of "true quad core", and people even believe that. Silly. I'd like to see some numbers on that energy efficiency argument as well.

how is describing an actual quad core as "true" i.e 4 cores on 1 die, silly?

its not, its an acheivement putting 4 onto 1 die, and hell they should not play that down.

plz intel lovers dont play down AMD/ATI acheivements. let them get credit when its due

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Motherboard AsRork x370 Taichi
Cooling EK Custom Loop - CPU only
Memory 32gb G-Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 Superclock 2
Storage Too Many
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24" & LG 32 IPS
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i5 750 4.62ghz pi runs // Evga FTW p55
I wonder how they can say its "true quad core"? Isn't quad core, quad core? 4 cores that can be running? Yeah, they may of had the better time to be able to tweak the quad core for them, but what makes it "true"?
I'm glad to see that they are keeping with the AM2 socket. Plus, for the people that care for it (I'm just someone that likes to play games), they will have boards that support quad crossfire. Now, if Intel can go and build a board or two that support it. Since they can't "officially" support Sli. Just say "duel nvidia cards"....

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
AM2+ X2 5000 Black Edition, 4 gigs DDR2, 3850 512 x2 (ATI Direct) 800 watt PSU (Ya its overkill but its my money) XP32

pt

not a suicide-bomber
Processor AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-60 (Trinidad)
Motherboard ASUS F3Ka (ATI RS690M)
Cooling stock
Memory Nanya 2x1GB ddr2 667@5-5-5-15-2T
Video Card(s) ATI Mobility Radeon HD2600 512MB DDR2@ 580mhz/486mhz
Storage 160GB on laptop+250GB external
Display(s) ASUS 15.4
Case Asus Laptop F3Ka chassis
Audio Device(s) on-board
Power Supply 1:30minutes battery
Software "genui xp", 'cause i hated vista
I wonder how they can say its "true quad core"? Isn't quad core, quad core? 4 cores that can be running?

see mandelore post
i want to see some benchs :D

how is describing an actual quad core as "true" i.e 4 cores on 1 die, silly?

its not, its an acheivement putting 4 onto 1 die, and hell they should not play that down.

plz intel lovers dont play down AMD/ATI acheivements. let them get credit when its due

It is silly because it implies that Intel's solution isn't a true quad core. Which of course is not true. Intels solution has 4 complete cores, nothing is being shared by cores. (unlike things like HTT which reuses idle parts to execute another thread) Or would you say a dual socket solution isn't a true multiprocessing solution?

As for giving credit for their achievements, I still have to see benchmarks where AMD's quads show that the extra 8 months or so they required to release it have been worth it. It's just like the 2900's, too little too late. Face the facts, AMD isn't doing well currently, this has nothing to do with the fact that Intel and NV are.

System Name GS43VR 7RE
Processor Core i7 7700HQ
Motherboard MSI GS43VR 7RE
Cooling Stock
Memory 8 GB DDR4 2400 MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung 950 PRO
Display(s) 14" IPS
Case Metal
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC 898
Power Supply Adapter
Mouse Rival 100
Keyboard SteelSeries
Software Windows 10 Version 1703
Soooo, are there any benchmark results of Phenom vs Intel CPU's...

Since NDA is over.(?) I would like to upgrade my 5000+ to a phenom quad core...

True quads, just basically 4 cores actually on one die, like mandelore said.
Intel's currently available quads are two dual-core processors, interconnected.

AMD's first dual-cores, and Intel's too, were both single cores, that were stuck together. No sharing of the cache between them.
The first consumer true-dual-core processors (just to keep with the theme here), were Intel's Core Duos, followed by the Core 2 Duos, of course, which were two cores on one die, sharing L2 cache, as we all know.
The first quad cores for consumers were from Intel, and are not true-quads, in that they're two dual-cores stuck together, as was said.
So these are quite revolutionary, if these are released before Intel's new CPUs, they wkill be the first consumer, true-quads, they'll be sharing cache, and they'll be all four cores on one die.

Back in the days of the single core being king, and the advent of dual-cores still on the horizon, I remember talking to people, and asking their thoughts. They believed that dual-cores would end up being a lot slower than dual-processor setups, since the CPUs would be sharing the HT, effectively cutting the bandwidth, per core. Ended up being not quite so true. Yes, dual-CPU setups can beat dual-cores at times, but the difference isn't huge.
Probably going to be the same with these proper-quads, possibly won't make much difference in performance, but could be beneficial with programs when the cache is being used, when one core isn't too busy, the other core can have the whole cache to itself, or close enough, anyhow.

Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5
Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5
True quads, just basically 4 cores actually on one die, like mandelore said.
Intel's currently available quads are two dual-core processors, interconnected.

that sounds like somethigna kid made up to make thier daddy "stronger than yours":roll:

JoJoe

System Name J64
Processor AMD Athlon 7750BE @ 3.2Ghz
Motherboard ASRock AOd790GX/128M
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer 64
Memory 4Gb Wintec DDR2-800 (4x1Gb)
Video Card(s) ATi Radeon HD 4830
Storage 2 X 320GB Seagate in RAID 0
Display(s) 19" LG Flatron
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Claro
Power Supply 600w Seasonic M12
Software Microsoft Windows XP 64-bit
Geez, the Intel fanboys sure do start freaking out fast.

Though I don't think the Phenoms are anything to rave about, I do think they're a good step forward for AMD. And it's got Intel all spooked too...

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
"Falcon Northwest is particularly impressed with the quad ATI CrossFireX potential of the new AMD Spider platform," said Kelt Reeves, president of Falcon Northwest. "Running four graphics boards in one system has been a dream of gamers, but could be a nightmare for a system builder to get all those graphics cards proper airflow. The cohesive nature of the Spider platform design allows the AMD 7-Series chipset, high-performing AMD Phenom quad-core processor, and the already cool and quiet ATI Radeon HD 3800 graphics cards to all be placed for maximum airflow and cooling. AMD has made massive multi-GPU performance easy to build, and affordable."

buying an SLI system is expensive enough & its only recently that cards that offer huge gallons of yo mommas homebrewed soy sauce bang for buck has hit the market. by this im refering to the 8800GT(s) & also the present & the new 8800GTS(s)

Obviously the whole spider rig being new & innovatve, affordable isnt the correct term to use until the market has been saturated with Spider systems

thus rendering spider to be more of a luxury for people who do work over 60hrs a week or has access to a few imitation weapons & a bank.

lets face it, its not gong to be cheap especially here in the UK its not going to be cheap.

& Im sick of how companies/manufacturers use cheap goat f**king propogander tatics that only applies to Non-Euro nations.

buying a complete new 'spider' rig from scratch is going to cost almost up to 2k & thats just a rough estimate unless the 3800series cards are really that cheap to compete with Nvidia's recent bang for buck offerings,

especially those of us in the UK. do we not work hard & long enough hours to get a decent wage after tax???

then we have to go out & pay through our testicles for everything.

Id sure as hell wouldnt mind a spider rig which would me building a new system from scratch but if the price isnt right im still planning on 2 new 8800GT/GTS(s) after Xmas

----------

Just doing a currency conversion. a $219 for the 3870 is 106.71GBP

that is pretty cheap but lets not forget the added VAT @17.5% & also Retailers Price which will possibly be roughly around 30-50GBP maybe even less or more

So.... 106.71GBP + VAT @ estimated 18.50GBP + Retailers Price = 30-50gbp = around 155-175GBP plus a few pennies which is cheap but obviously this is only a rough estimate

Last edited:
System Name Daedalus | O'Neill | ZPM Hive |
Processor M3 Pro (11/14) | Epyc 7402p | i5 12400F |
Motherboard Apple M3 Pro | SM H11SSL-i | TUF B660M-E D4 |
Cooling Pure Silence | Noctua NH-U12S TR4 | Noctua NH-D14 |
Memory 18GB Unified | 128GB DDR4 | 16GB DDR4 |
Video Card(s) M3 Pro | RTX 4070FE (VM) | ARC A750 LE |
Storage 512GB NVME | ALOT of SSD's | 1TB NVME |
Display(s) 14" 3024x1964 | IPMI | 1440p UW |
Case Macbook Pro 14" | NZXT H510 Flow| BC1 Test Bench |
Audio Device(s) Onboard | None | Onboard |
Power Supply ~ 77w Magsafe | EVGA 750w G3 | HX1000i |
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL
Software MacOS Sonoma | Proxmox 8 | Win 11 x64 |
System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
Memory 40gb of DDR 4 2700
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon 500
Storage Fusion Drive 1 TB
Display(s) 27 Inch IMac late 2017

sounds a little bias there Dan

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
Memory 40gb of DDR 4 2700
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon 500
Storage Fusion Drive 1 TB
Display(s) 27 Inch IMac late 2017
It is silly because it implies that Intel's solution isn't a true quad core. Which of course is not true. Intels solution has 4 complete cores, nothing is being shared by cores. (unlike things like HTT which reuses idle parts to execute another thread) Or would you say a dual socket solution isn't a true multiprocessing solution?

As for giving credit for their achievements, I still have to see benchmarks where AMD's quads show that the extra 8 months or so they required to release it have been worth it. It's just like the 2900's, too little too late. Face the facts, AMD isn't doing well currently, this has nothing to do with the fact that Intel and NV are.

Also AMD sales are way up now so that not right either. I like intel at present except in the value department AMD is doing very well. You could build a sweet value AMD system with crossfire 3850 cards and a 5000+ black chip and play any game out and it has plenty of power. Sure it's not my systems but come on AMD is really being innovative and shoot you can buy a dual core AMD chip for 40.00 (brisbane) and a very nice video card for 179.00 (3850) plus a motherboard for 99.00 (Gigabyte) and have a very good gaming system or work station for that matter. Try to keep a open mind we all know Intel and nvidia are the performance leaders and I believe AMD knows and is trying to find a niche and doing it well.

Last edited:
sounds a little bias there Dan
Blindly trusting any marketing scheme would be biased, I'm simply skeptical. Specially since they hyped the whole "true quad core" thing which I don't see being of any use so far I'm having doubts about the rest of the claims as well.

Also AMD sales are way up now so that not right either. I like intel at present except in the value department AMD is doing very well. You could build a sweet value AMD system with crossfire 3850 cards and a 5000+ black chip and play any game out and it has plenty of power. Sure it's not my systems but come on AMD is really being innovative and shoot you can buy a dual core AMD chip for 40.00 (brisbane) and a very nice video card for 179.00 (3850) plus a motherboard for 99.00 (Gigabyte) and have a very good gaming system or work station for that matter. Try to keep a open mind we all know Intel and nvidia are the performance leaders and I believe AMD knows and is trying to find a niche and doing it well.

A company doing good or bad has nothing to do with their products. For all they care they could sell you complete crap. The thing that is important is cash. And I haven't heard of AMD making cash yet, so they're doing bad. So it's fine that you can buy a decent system cheap, but as long as AMD is losing money they're not doing well.

ryboto

Processor Opteron 170 [2.8ghz@1.4v|1.25ghz@1.025v]
Motherboard Abit AT8 32x
Cooling HR-03, TR Ultra-120, 3xScythe S-Flex
Memory 2gb Crucial Ballistix PC4000
Video Card(s) Ati Radeon X1950 pro
Storage 150 GB WD Raptor/500GB WD
Display(s) Acer AL2032WA 20'' Widescreen LCD
Case Lian Li PC-A05b
Audio Device(s) On board Audio/Plantronics USB Headset
Power Supply Enermax NoiseTaker EG495AX-VE 485W
Software Windows XP SP2 bblean shell/Ubuntu
A company doing good or bad has nothing to do with their products. For all they care they could sell you complete crap. The thing that is important is cash. And I haven't heard of AMD making cash yet, so they're doing bad. So it's fine that you can buy a decent system cheap, but as long as AMD is losing money they're not doing well.

Until they pay off their debts, they wont make money. Their video card department is doing well, and these chipsets should sell well for them, I plan on picking one up if they really do sport low power draw.

System Name GS43VR 7RE
Processor Core i7 7700HQ
Motherboard MSI GS43VR 7RE
Cooling Stock
Memory 8 GB DDR4 2400 MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung 950 PRO
Display(s) 14" IPS
Case Metal
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC 898
Power Supply Adapter
Mouse Rival 100
Keyboard SteelSeries
Software Windows 10 Version 1703
I don't care about the true or false quad core but I care about the prices...

What do you thik... Will there be a price cut in a couple of weeks or do I have to wait over a month to buy 2.2 Ghz Phenom....the cheapest one..

< fanboy> AMD< /fanboy>

Processor AMD Phenom II X2 550 @3600MHz (VCore -0.05V)
Motherboard Gigabyte MA-780G-DS3H (AMD SB700), BIOS: 04/14/09
Cooling Scythe Samurai cooled by 2x Enermax Warp 80mm ~700 RPM
Memory 2x 1GB GeIL Ultra DDR2-800 @1066 CL4-5-5-15 2T
Video Card(s) MSI R4830 OC (HD4830)
Storage Samsung 400 GB S-ATA, WD 400GB S-ATA
Display(s) Samsung 2433BW 1920 x 1200 Pixel (16:10)
Case timeless office tower ;)
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply be quiet! Straight Power BQT E7-400W
Software Windows XP Pro 32bit
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3153

Looks like the Phenom only does a kind of good job in SOME games.
Forget about the rest.

But:
It's worth mentioning that in the 11th hour AMD decided to introduce a multiplier-unlocked version of the Phenom 9600 sometime this year that will be priced at the same $283 mark. Whether or not it's called a Black Edition is yet to be determined.

These chips are launching today, with availability promised by the end of the week. Phenom today is going to be all quad-core only, you'll see dual and triple-core parts in 2008 but for now this is what we get.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.
A company doing good or bad has nothing to do with their products. For all they care they could sell you complete crap. The thing that is important is cash.

Well, as long as you can admit the fact that Intel would just as happily sell you complete crap, then you're not a fanboy.

In other news, I like THG's article about the Spider platform -- not only does their testing prove that, dollar for dollar, the Phenom is an equal value to the Q6600, but it looks to be about as fast as the X2 6400+ (3.2Ghz), even though the Phenom runs at 1000Mhz slower.

mrmonk

how comes anandtech dont use 64bit vista aswell as the 32 bit version?