• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft to Revise WGA in Windows Vista SP1

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.
It's no secret that the Windows Genuine Advantage software, which is designed to protect legitimate users and stop piracy, does quite a lot of flagging and hindering legitimate users. While piracy of Windows Vista happens about half as often as piracy of Windows XP, you hear a lot more about Windows Vista WGA hacks that extend the grace period by several days/years. And so, Microsoft is going to change WGA so that there is less unjust flagging of legitimate users, and more pirate-catching. The new WGA will first fix the aforementioned grace period hack. Please click "Read full story" to see the exact methodology behind the fix. Another main thing that Microsoft aims to do is eliminate the Vista OEM hack, which tricks Windows into thinking it is being installed on a legitimate OEM system.
According to Microsoft group product manager Alex Kochis, this is how the new WGA will work as far as killing the grace period hack:
Under this new system, no features will be disabled. Instead it will be a notification-based experience similar in some ways to what we have done with XP. A user of a system that has not been activated and gone through the 30-day grace period to activate will, when logging in on the 31st day, see a dialog box on a plain black background. That will give them two options: Activate Windows now, which will bring up all the options to do this, and activate Windows later, which takes them directly to their desktop, which will be exactly the same as it had been the last time they used it, except that there will be a plain black background and a message in the lower right hand corner over the system tray telling them that their copy of Windows is not genuine.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:

hacker111

There is no way the government could ever catch all the Hackers/Pirates in the world so they could not either...Good Luck catching anyone:laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob The Fish

System Name Neo2
Processor Intel Core i7 CPU 920
Motherboard ASUS X58 Sabertooth
Cooling Water cooled
Memory HyperX blu 8GB DDR3-1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 4GB) x 3
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon HD 5850 1024m x2
Storage 1x 60g Corsair CSSD-F60GB2, 1 x 1000g WD Black 2x 500g SATA2, 1x 320g SATA2
Display(s) x3 HP 2210ms
Case Thermaltake Armor VA800BWS
Audio Device(s) PCI Express X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series on Z-5000 Digtal speakers
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast Series TX850 V2
Software Windows 7 Pro x64
So basicly legitimate users will still suffer and non-legitimate users will just hack/crack it. like everything else.

System Name Blaq Mamba
Processor Intel i7 950 @4Ghz Swiftech Water Cooled
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage III Formula
Cooling All are 12cm LED fans: 2x front, 1x side, 1x back, 2x inside top under CPU radiator, 2x 14cm Top.
Memory 12GB DDR3 1600 3x4GB DIMMs
Video Card(s) 2x MSI HD 6950 2GB flashed to 6970 2GB... Damn fast :p direct exhaust.
Storage 2x GSkill Phoenix Pro 120GB SSDs' in RAID 0 (500MB/s read/write). 3x 2TB WD Green in RAID 5
Display(s) 52" Sony Bravia LCD 200hz motionflow
Case NZXT Tempest Evo
Audio Device(s) 6950/6970
Power Supply 1200w Thermaltake Toughpower
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 7.7 in Windows Experience Index.... CPU holding me back...
put bluntly..... yes... yet again microsoft makes a stupid move among this hacker engulfed internet. i would say give up... but there trying 2 squeeze every dollar.
(soz, not exactly sober)

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
Ironically, the people that crack Windows are the ones that avoid all this hassle, whilst paying customers have to worry about activation and failing WGA.

M

MiST91

so... basicly what Microsoft are doing now is revamping the WGA by making it so there is a small black box in the bottom right covering the system tray, i'm sure it will take years, if not centuries for hackers to figure out how to remove a black box *sarcastic*. No matter what microsoft do, even if Bill Gates came around to every persons house who have got windows vista and he checked it himself, there not going to stop people from using illegitimate copies of Windows, all there doing is pissing people off with legitimate, over priced copies of Vista

System Name Blaq Mamba
Processor Intel i7 950 @4Ghz Swiftech Water Cooled
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage III Formula
Cooling All are 12cm LED fans: 2x front, 1x side, 1x back, 2x inside top under CPU radiator, 2x 14cm Top.
Memory 12GB DDR3 1600 3x4GB DIMMs
Video Card(s) 2x MSI HD 6950 2GB flashed to 6970 2GB... Damn fast :p direct exhaust.
Storage 2x GSkill Phoenix Pro 120GB SSDs' in RAID 0 (500MB/s read/write). 3x 2TB WD Green in RAID 5
Display(s) 52" Sony Bravia LCD 200hz motionflow
Case NZXT Tempest Evo
Audio Device(s) 6950/6970
Power Supply 1200w Thermaltake Toughpower
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 7.7 in Windows Experience Index.... CPU holding me back...
hmm.... now i wonder y some people prefer macs!
ah well... maybe microsoft will shit off enough people that the legit users will start being non-legit just 2 get rid of the damn WGA crap that they shouldn't be seeing!
i think we all know the legits are sooner or later gonna have a lot of problems with this. whether it b a microsoft server down or something, there gonna suffer.

System Name [Primary Workstation]
Processor Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield @ 3.8GHz/4.55GHz [24-7/Bench]
Motherboard EVGA X58 E758-A1 [Tweaked right!]
Cooling Cooler Master V8 [stock fan + two 133CFM ULTRA KAZE fans]
Memory 12GB [Kingston HyperX]
Video Card(s) constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer nVidia]
Storage constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer Hitachi/Samsung]
Display(s) Triple LCD [40 inch primary + 32 & 28 inch auxiliary displays]
Case Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 [Mesh Mod, CFM Overload]
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D1 + onboard Realtek ALC889A [Logitech Z-5300 Spk., Niko 650-HP 5.1 Hp., X-Bass Hp.]
Power Supply Corsair TX950W [aka Reactor]
Software This and that... [All software 100% legit and paid for, 0% pirated]
Benchmark Scores Ridiculously good scores!!!
Wait, so all this does is makes it easier to "evaluate" Vista indefinitely? Interesting, but no thanks. Even "free" Vista is unattractive. Now, if it came with free versions of various MS products, a free version of whatever office suite, or a free copy of Windows XP or even Windows 2000, then maybe, MAYBE, I would consider "evaluating" Vista. Naw, scratch that. I want both copies of XP and Office, AND a generous pack of various games published by MS. All free of charge, full versions, at least 2-3 of em. Also, I want the ability to install my copy of Vista on up to dozen or so machines, that’s if I decide to keep it. Got it Billy?

Heh! Microsoft has seriously overestimated the potency of their marketing department. They are going to have to do better than “Aero”, restricting Dx10 to Vista, or revising their highly ineffective WGA. That ain’t incentive enough, considering the boatload of performance and stability issues Vista brings to the table. At this point, MS would have to literally pay me and/or shower me with freebies to use Vista.