• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Valve Acquires Turtle Rock Studios

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
Fresh off the success of The Orange Box, the 2007 game of the year award-winning collection of new games heralded as "the best value in gaming history," Valve Corporation announced the acquisition of Turtle Rock Studios, the Orange County-based development house behind one of 2008's most anticipated games, Left 4 Dead. The merger of the two companies will extend Valve's development team and provide the company with a new studio in southern California. "We have been seeing very strong growth with Steam and Source, our content distribution and development platforms, up over 150% over the last 12 months. Given our expectations for Left 4 Dead and our long-standing relationships with members of the Turtle Rock team, this was an easy decision. It also gives us a base from which to expand our development activities in the Los Angeles area," said Gabe Newell, president of Valve. "Left 4 Dead fills a long-standing demand gamers have had for a co-op first-person action experience, and it will also help Valve's expansion into the console market," added Doug Lombardi, Valve's VP of marketing.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Dangle

System Name Vista
Processor Q6600
Memory 2GB Corsair 800mhz
Video Card(s) 2900XT
Storage 300GB 7.2kRPM Seagate for OS; 74GB 10kRPM WD for Games
Audio Device(s) XFi
Power Supply 750W
TBH, Counterstrike wasn't that good. If any of you played Soldier of Fortune 2's multiplayer (infiltration mode), you'd know what I'm talking about... Then CoD2 & 4 came out and left CSS in the dust. Would be awesome if Valve would steal Infinity Ward away from activision. CoD gone source & valve quality would be WOOT!

TBH, Counterstrike wasn't that good. If any of you played Soldier of Fortune 2's multiplayer (infiltration mode), you'd know what I'm talking about... Then CoD2 & 4 came out and left CSS in the dust. Would be awesome if Valve would steal Infinity Ward away from activision. CoD gone source & valve quality would be WOOT!

This may be.
But you know how many people still play CS 1.6 and CS:S.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular

Counter-Strike wasn't that good of a game? You have got to be kidding me... Counter Strike 1.6 was one of the greatest Team Death Match multiplayer games EVER. CSS Got left in the dirt because the entire community who played CS 1.6 for the longest time knows how much different CSS is from CS 1.6. CSS is a noob friendly game in a community of all competive players. THAT JUST DOESN'T WORK.

Anyone who says Counter-Strike wasn't that good is a fool in my book. Half-Life's mod community is what kept the Valve games going where they are today! Anyone who started playing Half-Life when it first came out knows this. When Counter-Strike was released as a free game to all of us gamers back then it had the biggest population of players on the WON network. Where do you think Fatality got his roots? What developers need to understand, is that modders can make or break a game. How do you think WC3 is still going strong with it's population?

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

if CoD2/CoD4 went source id stop playing it all together. im not a real big fan of source. I have played CSS quite a bit with my friends but when they arent available i dont touch the game at all.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
I love CS:S. And when my evil plan of infiltrating all the systems at work with enough hardware to run it I am going to host a LAN there for friends, with PC's already in place.

Dangle

System Name Vista
Processor Q6600
Video Card(s) 2900XT
Audio Device(s) XFi
Power Supply 750W
Counter-Strike wasn't that good of a game? You have got to be kidding me... Counter Strike 1.6 was one of the greatest Team Death Match multiplayer games EVER. CSS Got left in the dirt because the entire community who played CS 1.6 for the longest time knows how much different CSS is from CS 1.6. CSS is a noob friendly game in a community of all competive players. THAT JUST DOESN'T WORK.

Anyone who says Counter-Strike wasn't that good is a fool in my book. Half-Life's mod community is what kept the Valve games going where they are today! Anyone who started playing Half-Life when it first came out knows this. When Counter-Strike was released as a free game to all of us gamers back then it had the biggest population of players on the WON network. Where do you think Fatality got his roots? What developers need to understand, is that modders can make or break a game. How do you think WC3 is still going strong with it's population?

Counter Strike was a great game, but Soldier of Fortune 2 multiplayer (Infiltration mode) did tactical, real damage, real weapons better - plus it had lean. -Then CoD2 was released. Mods are not what kept Valve alive. Valve kept valve alive. Most of the mods are junk anyway. I have been the biggest fan of Valve since release day of HL1. I have played almost every major FPS release since Wolfenstein. As far as tactical FPS, CS is not the best.

OH BTW, TF2 in my oppinion ties with CoD4 for being the best tactical FPSs ever made.

Edit: Noob-friendly FTL!

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
Counter Strike was a great game, but Soldier of Fortune 2 multiplayer (Infiltration mode) did tactical, real damage, real weapons better - plus it had lean. -Then CoD2 was released. Mods are not what kept Valve alive. Valve kept valve alive. Most of the mods are junk anyway. I have been the biggest fan of Valve since release day of HL1. I have played almost every major FPS release since Wolfenstein. As far as tactical FPS, CS is not the best.

OH BTW, TF2 in my oppinion ties with CoD4 for being the best tactical FPSs ever made.

Edit: Noob-friendly FTL!

There is a difference between a realistic game and a competitive game. The thing that needs to be understood is that CS is a game of skill. Leaning, real damage, real weapons have nothing to do with competition. Goto caleague.com and tell me if soldier of fortune is on the division list. You're going to go there, and find out its not, and then ask yourself why. Because CS 1.6 isn't a tatical FPS, it's in its own category. It's that good. It's like Starcraft. It's a professional game. That's what people hated about CSS, they took all the competition out of the game by changing the weapons (aim boxes, headshot ranges, spraying). CSS is a fun game, and I play it from time to time. But it's not 1.6.

But don't get me wrong, noob friendly games aren't bad at all. They just get old, and loose their competitive sense because you feel like you never get to a point that you get to in 1.6. I'm also not saying SOF is bad game. SOF is a great game and I still have the jewel case in its original box. Same goes for all of the COD games except COD3.

:toast:

Ever want to get into the real underground world of CS 1.6 competition then go here:

www.mirc.com

Download the client.

Join the Gamesurge server in the server list.

Register here:

http://gamesurge.net/createaccount/

Sign in and join these channels:

#findscrim
#findringer
#findclan
#calscrim
#eastpugz
#sourcescrim
#sourceringer

I would also recommend getting vent and a good headset with a mic.

:toast:

Last edited:

Dangle

System Name Vista
Processor Q6600
Video Card(s) 2900XT
Audio Device(s) XFi
Power Supply 750W
Dude, i'm not talking about SOF1. Sof1 was crap for multiplayer. SoF2 was EXTREMELY competitive. 90% of SoF2 Infiltration players came from CS, or have tried it and disliked it comparatively. If anything, CS1.6 is noob-friendly compared to SoF2 infiltration. The game is absolutely amazing. Most SoF2 players switched to CoD2 because it got everything right that SOF did, but with better graphics and the new look-down-the-sight aiming.

I'm not going to get back into CS beacuse the game was obsolete in 2002.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
Dude, i'm not talking about SOF1. Sof1 was crap for multiplayer. SoF2 was EXTREMELY competitive. 90% of SoF2 Infiltration players came from CS, or have tried it and disliked it comparatively. If anything, CS1.6 is noob-friendly compared to SoF2 infiltration. The game is absolutely amazing. Most SoF2 players switched to CoD2 because it got everything right that SOF did, but with better graphics and the new look-down-the-sight aiming.

I'm not going to get back into CS beacuse the game was obsolete in 2002.

Meh, never played sof2 in any leagues, just not that competive to me. The most I ever got out of the SOF2 multiplayer was fun lan store memories, but most everyone played CS. Anyway we could talk about which one is better all day long, but the fact is 1.6 still has a strong population, SOF can't say that.

If you think CS was obsolete in 02 then I bet you think WC3 and Starcraft are obsolete.

Dangle

System Name Vista
Processor Q6600
Video Card(s) 2900XT
Audio Device(s) XFi
Power Supply 750W
Ravenas, you don't even know what kind of population SoF2 has. I installed the game a few months ago just for fun; there were hundreds of populated servers. It's just stupid to say that SoF2 isn't competitive enough for you when you haven't even played it. No offense, but I smell the stench of a fanboy.