• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Coming to Mac

Darren

System Name Cheap yet powerful gaming and entertainment rig!
Processor AMD Athlon 3800+ X2 Windsor, 1 MB L2 Cache (512k L2 Per Core), 65W Energy efficient, 2GHz @ 2.78 Ghz
Motherboard Asrock ALiveNF7G-HD720p Rev v5.0
Cooling Freezer 64, 2x120mm, 1x92mm
Memory 8 GB DDRII PC6400 @ 929 MHz OCZ (2GBx4) timing: 5-5-5-5-16-2T
Video Card(s) XFX ATI4830
Storage Seagate 320 GB SATA (16 MB Cache)
Display(s) 19' HannsG (1440x900 @ 75hz)
Case Coolermaster Elite 330 Black Case
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian, Pioneer VSX-516 Receiver 7.1 with DD/DD EX/Prologic II/DTS/DTS-ES//DTS: Neo
Power Supply Cool Master eXtreme Power 460W PSU
Software Vista Ultimate X64 Corporate Edition
thats just an OPINION and i think that the mac os utilizes alot of the hardware differently than windows does and that is what makes it do things faster with certain applications

hm isnt that funny?

I think your backtracking, above your say Mac's OS utilizes allows for better performance in applications. Well earlier you said that Mac's hardware makes applications run faster?

Well if Mac operating systems are that great why do you run windows XP on your Mac, why not install a Mac operating system only if it's uber great at utilizing applications? (actually don't answer this part because you use one OS for games such as COD and the other OS's for another reason)

the architecture's on most of the components are quailty and built better than some of the stuff that you get for a pc

Thats strange because earlier you said that the "Mac operating system" improved performance however now your saying its the Mac's superior hardware architecture that is responsible for performance, so which is it?

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
in laptops i've used running windows xp and vs the mac running xp and os x yes there where big differences for me ESPECIALLY running both at the same time..

thats just an OPINION and i think that the mac os utilizes alot of the hardware differently than windows does and that is what makes it do things faster with certain applications as...movie editing, photoshop cs2 and 3 dreamweaver..any editing program..it blows windows away...as far as an operating system handles resources.

i have both a mac and a pc and both have windows xp on it...and they aren't far off in specs from each other. it has NOTHING to do with the apple commercials flaming windows vista or any of the sort..its funny how many people actually contradicted themselves

ready for it

"macs aren't built for gaming"

"macs and pcs have "The same" hardware inside one another"

hm isnt that funny?
nope its not funny, and you made a stupid argument.

Macs now use intel hardware - its no different what OS you use. the VIDEO Card is what determines gaming, and on ANY laptop (mac or windows) you cant upgrade that.

on a desktop, mac cant upgrade - the biggest you get is an 8800GT, but you cant do any of the fun things we do like overclocking, SLI, crossfire, etc.

macs come as they are, no upgrades - THAT is why they suck for gaming.

the mac has no hardware advantage over a PC - now that they all use intel, its exactly the same! the ONLY thing different is the BIOS. (and i dont realy know the advantages to EFI, tbh)

joinmeindeath417

System Name SINNAH
Processor AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.8ghz AIR
Motherboard ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
Cooling 3 fans of MADNESS
Memory 4GB ADATA XPG DDR3 1600G
Video Card(s) ATI 4890 1GB GDDR5 memory
Storage 500gb SATAII
Display(s) 23" 1080p Acer H233Hbmid
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream / 600W / Active PFC
Software Windows 7 Professional 64bit

Macs now use intel hardware - its no different what OS you use. the VIDEO Card is what determines gaming, and on ANY laptop (mac or windows) you cant upgrade that.

on a desktop, mac cant upgrade - the biggest you get is an 8800GT, but you cant do any of the fun things we do like overclocking, SLI, crossfire, etc.

the mac has no hardware advantage over a PC - now that they all use intel, its exactly the same! the ONLY thing different is the BIOS. (and i dont realy know the advantages to EFI, tbh)

hardware doesn't matter huh? THE ONLY thing that share the same components are the Intel components now, apple doesn't use shit parts that some companys as dell and hp and what not use i take apart macbooks and laptops all the time and there is difference in the way the hardware is BUILT. Granted your paying 1000 dollars for a standard dual core 2ghz macbook but you get what you pay for. On a ratio for every 30 laptops we get in here we get about 2 macbooks in here and 90 percent of the time its the cd drive or something i've hardly ever had to change out a motherboard for any reason (unless someone spills something in it). once again if you read my post im saying the QUAILTY of the hardware is better not saying they use DIFFERENT components. anyway if you can explain to me why on a lot of different websites macbook vs laptops with the same specs...the macbooks generally have better benchmarks?

anyone?

joinmeindeath417

System Name SINNAH
Storage 500gb SATAII
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Onboard
anyway before this topic gets completely off topic and just becomes a flame war..(which i think it already has)

all i was implying is that the hardware was built better and may run smoothly on macbook pros.(the game that is)

or you could take the alternative and get windows xp to dual boot and play COD4 either way you dont have to wait 5 months

Darren

Processor AMD Athlon 3800+ X2 Windsor, 1 MB L2 Cache (512k L2 Per Core), 65W Energy efficient, 2GHz @ 2.78 Ghz
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian, Pioneer VSX-516 Receiver 7.1 with DD/DD EX/Prologic II/DTS/DTS-ES//DTS: Neo
anyway before this topic gets completely off topic and just becomes a flame war..(which i think it already has)

all i was implying is that the hardware was built better and may run smoothly on macbook pros.(the game that is)

or you could take the alternative and get windows xp to dual boot and play COD4 either way you dont have to wait 5 months

I think people are just weirded people out by your logic. I'll calm people down if it gets out of hand and flame war-ish. Your definitely right some companies like Dell are known for cheap components, which can cause instability or unreliability.

joinmeindeath, do you mind answering my post, its post #27

Dangle

System Name Vista
Processor Q6600
Memory 2GB Corsair 800mhz
Video Card(s) 2900XT
Storage 300GB 7.2kRPM Seagate for OS; 74GB 10kRPM WD for Games
Audio Device(s) XFi
Power Supply 750W
its like someone says MAC or APPLE and people start shitting there pants and getting angry ha
It's not the fact that Mac or Apple being mentioned pisses people off. What pisses people of is when Mac Fanboys spew ridiculous garbage like this:
apples hardware for some reason runs xp and vista faster than any laptop or pc i've ever ran it on... ...the architecture's on most of the components are quailty and built better than some of the stuff that you get for a pc.

Face it, you're sounding like a total fanboy. Obviously you don't really know what your talking about, and nobody here is taking you seriously. Your argument that XP runs faster on a $2000 macbook vs. a $500 PC is an invalid comparison of Mac vs. PC.

I think it's great that Mac is starting to open up to games, but It's absolutely retarded when you say they'll run better because of the "architecture". Fanboys have been using the "architecture" fight long before the PowerPC to Intel switch. You're not giving any specifics. You're just saying "Macs run better" with no logic or knowledge behind your statement.

Last edited:

joinmeindeath417

System Name SINNAH
Storage 500gb SATAII
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Onboard
I think your backtracking, above your say Mac's OS utilizes allows for better performance in applications. Well earlier you said that Mac's hardware makes applications run faster?

i believe that if you have crappy hardware than your machine can run unstable and as you said unreliable. and as much as people think that it doesnt matter as long as it is an intel or amd chipset it will run fast that is completely wrong.

Thats strange because earlier you said that the "Mac operating system" improved performance however now your saying its the Mac's superior hardware architecture that is responsible for performance, so which is it?

i do think the way there architecture is built and handles better yes. once again that has to do with the hardware running xp faster than that of a laptop with the same specs. there are plenty of benchmarks that prove this and its the same concept as someone reviewing a mother board they put it up against other mother boards with THE SAME technology.

i am not back tracking simply saying the reasons i THINK that macbooks are so expensive and what not are cause of how they are built and what they are built to do.
i never said i was a fan boy as i said i love pc gaming but as far as speed in the operating system i have used both of the systems with identical specs and the mac ran it faster..so if its not based on the architecture or on the fact that apple may have solid hardware than please tell me what it is.

ALSO a fanboy doesn't have any type of proof they just stick up for what they believe in i am basing this all on evidence not on assumption.

Darren

Guys, I feel this topic has been beaten to death. Lets it go, unless anyone here has any proof regarding whats being said such as comparison benchmarks whether synthetical or real world.

FatForester

Processor Intel e2180 2.0ghz @ 2.8ghz w/ stock volts
Motherboard ASUS P5K-e Wifi-AP
Cooling Zalman 9500 w/ AS5
Memory G.Skill Black PI's DDR2 @ 896MHz 4-4-4-12 1.9v
Video Card(s) EVGA 8800GT w/ Zalman VF-900
Storage 2x Crucial C300 64GB, Samsung F3 2TB & 1TB, F1 1TB & 750GB
Display(s) ASUS VW246H 24" 16:9
Case Ultra / Chieftec Black Tower
Audio Device(s) X-fi XtremeMusic -> Z-5300e's
Power Supply PCP&C 610 Silencer
Software Windows 7 x64
joinmeindeath, your argument involves comparing a 1200 dollar Mac vs a regular 500-600 dollar PC. That's like bragging that your Corvette is faster than a Kia. You can't make a claim like "apples hardware for some reason runs xp and vista faster than any laptop or pc i've ever ran it on" and try to justify that claim by saying "the architecture's on most of the components are quailty and built better" without any concrete evidence. In all of the direct Mac vs. PC comparisons I've seen, there's always been something between the hard drive, memory, or CPU speed that have made a difference with the end-result. It has absolutely nothing to do with architecture. I can keep on explaining, but since you've basically ignored three other people thus far, I'm not going to bother because of your arrogance.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4

You can overclock the 8800GT via BIOS on a Mac. Good enough I suppose. And if you search out drivers, most any video card can be used on a Mac.

But meh, doesn't matter to me. That's why I built a dedicated gaming/benching PC.

FatForester

Processor Intel e2180 2.0ghz @ 2.8ghz w/ stock volts
Motherboard ASUS P5K-e Wifi-AP
Cooling Zalman 9500 w/ AS5
Memory G.Skill Black PI's DDR2 @ 896MHz 4-4-4-12 1.9v
Video Card(s) EVGA 8800GT w/ Zalman VF-900
Storage 2x Crucial C300 64GB, Samsung F3 2TB & 1TB, F1 1TB & 750GB
Display(s) ASUS VW246H 24" 16:9
Case Ultra / Chieftec Black Tower
Audio Device(s) X-fi XtremeMusic -> Z-5300e's
Power Supply PCP&C 610 Silencer
Software Windows 7 x64
You can overclock the 8800GT via BIOS on a Mac. Good enough I suppose. And if you search out drivers, most any video card can be used on a Mac.

But meh, doesn't matter to me. That's why I built a dedicated gaming/benching PC.

Yea, you can use about anything, but drivers have had a tendency to be problems in the past. Hopefully with games coming out, nVidia and ATI will start making better drivers. If the drivers start to get there, then more companies will start releasing games for Mac. I've always wanted to see Apple open up OSX to all PCs... but their stubborn proprietary platform and their whole 'our stuff don't stink' ad and PR campaign have always turned me off of any of their products.