• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

0.26 crashes with HD 2600 XT

Playelf

Hi there

I've got a Sapphire HD 2600 XT graphics card, running the latest set of Catalyst Drivers (7.8) on Win XP, SP2 with a .net 2.0 framework and i'm working in a profile with full administrator priviledges. My critical problem is that the gpu fan doesn't seem to be speeding up when the card is under load, leading to some truely terrifying temperatures that're sure to cook some chips, so I want to use ATiTool to force the fan into doing it's job.

When I attempt to load AtiTools, the application starts and appears in the systray, giving a mouse-over summary of the memory and gpu clock speeds. However any attempt to access the rest of the application (such as double clicking said sys tray icon) freezes, pops up a blank white box and then causes the entire computer to crash.

Any help with what's going wrong would be appreciated.
Is ATiTool compatible with the 7.8 drivers?
If not, what's the most recent version it will work with?

Paradox

Processor Intel C2D e6300 1.8Ghz @ 3.2ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P965-DS3
Cooling Thermaltake Big Typhoon
Memory OCZ Gold 1GB DDR800 @ DDR910
Video Card(s) eVGA 7800GTX ACS3 KO
Storage Maxtor Dimondmax 10 300gb
Display(s) Dell Trinitron
Case Thermaltake Armor Xasor
Power Supply Ultra X-Connect 500Watt
Software Vista Ultimate X64
You need the .27 beta 2 bud.

You can't overclock these video cards. And from the looks of it, not for quite awhile

Playelf

No possibility of using the overclocking tool to control the fan speed then? I'm not actualy looking to overclock it (although i've seen reviews of overclocking on them, so it's obviously not impossible) just to try and force the fan into working as it should, rather than running at circa 14% when under heavy load and cooking itself to death.

UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
Processor I9 9900KS @ 5.3Ghz
Motherboard Gagabyte z390 Aorus Ultra
Cooling Nexxxos Nova 1080 + 360 rad
Memory 32Gb Crucial Balliastix RGB 4.4GHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3090 (Bios and Shunt Modded) 2.17GHz @ 38C
Storage NVME / SSD RAID arrays
Display(s) 38" LG 38GN950-B, 27" BENQ XL2730Z 144hz 1440p, Samsung 27" 3D 1440p
Case Thermaltake Core series
Power Supply 1.6Kw Silverstone
Mouse Roccat Kone EMP
Keyboard Corsair Viper Mechanical
Software Windows 10 Pro
No possibility of using the overclocking tool to control the fan speed then? I'm not actualy looking to overclock it (although i've seen reviews of overclocking on them, so it's obviously not impossible) just to try and force the fan into working as it should, rather than running at circa 14% when under heavy load and cooking itself to death.

try rivatuner, has fan control for the 2900, maybe for the 2600 also

Playelf

I did take a look at RivaTuner, unfortunately the basic guide for using it indicates I should get a button in the third box down, under driver settings. No such luck, as it simply greys out the box with 'Catalyst Detected' in it.

I did take a look at the power user settings but i've found four settings relating to fans and no idea which settings within those require values and what those values may be. Erring on the side of caution, I decided not to fiddle without some advice.

Paradox

Processor Intel C2D e6300 1.8Ghz @ 3.2ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P965-DS3
Cooling Thermaltake Big Typhoon
Memory OCZ Gold 1GB DDR800 @ DDR910
Video Card(s) eVGA 7800GTX ACS3 KO
Storage Maxtor Dimondmax 10 300gb
Display(s) Dell Trinitron
Case Thermaltake Armor Xasor
Power Supply Ultra X-Connect 500Watt
Software Vista Ultimate X64
.27b has fan control